Home from Maasdam Cruise

Cate M.

We were off the Maasdam around 8:30 last Friday. One of the last as we were driving back to Canada. Disembarkation was almost a non event and we off ship in a matter of minutes once our group # and colour was called. We used Park and Go and we did not have a long wait for them to show up. Boarding was delayed because of virus cleaning which was okay with me and we were under quarantee until last few days of cruise. Laundry was a good deal at half price of $10. as self serve laundries were closed.

This was my 10th cruise and 5th with HAL. I am on the back side of 50 and cruised with my DH. We both agree that this was not a fun cruise and lacked a lot of lustre from previouis HAL cruises. We will be looking to other cruise lines in the future.

We are not ones to bake in the sun and look forward to participating in other activities that are offered. Had a hard time finding fun things to do. We did go to a cooking demonstration and it was boring as hostess did all the talking and when the cook did talk he was not a very good communicator. Pool activities were almost non existent. We did do some some golf chipping into a hot tub one day but that was it. Not too long ago DH used to bring materials from home to participate in the boat building contest but that has gone by the wayside and I used to look forward to the organized sport activites. Now we have to fend for ourselves. We did participate in the trivia with DJ Marty and actually had a such a wonderful smart team that we won four times. Did go to tech class one day but slowly everyone started to leave as girl was not very knowlegeable and most folks already have computers and come to learn new things.

We did the Pinnnacle and were not impressed. Boring for the two of us and different servers seemed to look after us for each course. Afterwards we went to the MDR and saw we could have had the almost the same meal. We ordered the filet and DH said he could have done the same thing on the BBQ. We did the Canoletto restaurant and loved it. Tablemates from the MDR tried to make a reservation after they found out we were going there but were told there was no room. When we were there we could have sat another couple at our table plus I am sure they could have served another 40 or so. The MDR was a mad house with people coming and going all the time. I blame it on the Jazz Sea people as the dining room seemed to let them come and go at any time. We had no baked Alaska parade, pirate night etc. I booked cruise in Jan. 2011 and was guaranteed an early upper seating but when we got on board we found we were to eat at 8 p.m. Got changed after some whining to way too early seating at 5:15. They actually said their were four seatings because of the Jazz Sea people but those folks were deciding on their own when to arrive. Our servers at our MDR table got our courses to so fast that we were out of there in no time and left wondering what we were to do the rest of the evening. Do not like the cabaret style seating in main show room. Entertainment is lacking. They used their two dancers and four singers and recycled them almost every night in a different song and dance routine. I must say they did have a comedian, sax player and another juggler as well.

Ship was okay and again we did not have a fun time on our eleven day cruise. Barbados was not good as it was closed down as it was a Sunday. We had also booked a rum tour in Barbados last August but did find out it was cancelled because it was closed on a Sunday until we got on board. Rebooked a rum tour in St. Lucia and it was a disaster as they kept feeding some of bus passengers more and more rum just so they would buy more and some were a bit obnoxious on ride back to ship. St. Vincent was market when we landed there on a Saturday and it was wall to wall people on land even though we were only ship in port. St. Croix didn't seem to be geared for visitors and St. Kitts was my favourite bus tour of the islands.

Days of personal service in statement has gone. When we did get to talk to one of the two that serviced our room he said he had 30 rooms to look after. Cost cutting very much in evidence but for someone that has not been on a cruise I guess it would be enjoyable. Bring your own entertainment.

Cate M.

Hi Cate -

Thank you so much for your review. Sorry to hear that you guys did not have the best time. Few questions if you don't mind...

Did you guys experience any nightlife on board, like the disco or piano bar? Did you go to any of the shows? If so what are your thoughts on those?

Were there any exercise programs such as boot camp and yoga scheduled in the am?

Did you happen to go to the spa? If so how is the thermal suite on board?

Thank you in advance. Welcome Home....

I love the Canaletto...great lasaga. The attempt is to keep the setting intimate, so fewer people are seated to keep it that way.

Apart from a couple of items that you mentioned, this cruise experience was not a very enjoyable experience for you. That's really unfortunate and disappointing, and I can appreciate how it could dissuade you from returning to that venue.

Thanks for your candid review...We will be aboard the Maasdam in May, 4th time on this ship. The previous cruises have been enjoyable for us, as was our most recent aboard the Zaandam in Sept/Oct.

Here's hoping your future cruise, on whatever cruise-line you choose has more positive results for you. Let us know how the next one compares . Cheers.

Thanks for your review.

Very disappointed for you that your cruise was less than you hoped for.

You are not the only one who has noticed what seem to be very noticeable cut backs.

We have sailed Maasdam a great many times and will return in April.

I hope your next cruise is more fun for you.

Welcome back and sorry that your cruise was such a drag.

Were you on an 11-day itinerary? I ask because of the Jazz Sea people. I was under the [probably incorrect] impression that large groups generally go for the 7-day itineraries. In addition to messing up the dinner schedule were they disruptive otherwise?

Agree and previously posted the Maasdam cooking demos (11-12/11) were worthless and downright annoying. Tried them twice, but no more. Shame because they did that expensive re-do of the space, but have nothing programmed to make it useful or interesting. But we found everything else to be fine on our recent 22 day TA on the Maasdam.

Answer to some questions. Jazz Sea people were quite friendly but they played in the the Ocean Bar everyday from I guess 4 to 11. We knew when 11 rolled around as we were directly two floors below and heard the music. Photo shop directly above us. Went to evening shows but usually just small group of ship entertainers recycled. Adagio Strings played every night in the Explorer's Lounge if you liked classical music. Mix had piano man David Anthony but that was usually crowded so we only looked in for a few minutes. Yoga was offered for a charge of $12., free classes of stretching, Tai Chi and water aerobics. A reminder that this was mainly a senior's cruise so little slow moving for me. Did not enter spa area as I find prices - pardon the pun - overboard.

Thanks for the review. I am really sorry that your cruise was not up to expectations. I'm concerned about these reviews that might be indicating some slippage in HAL service and quality. Typically I would have thought a Maasdam cruise to be fantastic as it's a great ship and had, at least a little less than a year ago, a great crew. Makes my heart ache a little.

Thanks for the review. I am really sorry that your cruise was not up to expectations. I'm concerned about these reviews that might be indicating some slippage in HAL service and quality. Typically I would have thought a Maasdam cruise to be fantastic as it's a great ship and had, at least a little less than a year ago, a great crew. Makes my heart ache a little.

We were on her just a month ago and all the basics were fine. It seemed to be the program extras that seemed to cause the OP the most concern - and if this matters then indeed they were weak. We have never been impressed with many of the daily social activities and we have been on her twice now, so don't think anything is slipping; this is just not a HAL forte.

Good the OP learned this may not be the best cruise line for her. She was right on about the cooking demos and if this matters, in area the Maasdam did not excel, or even come close. But if it is the professionalism of the staff, the cabins, the itinerary, the skills of the crew, the variety of dining and dozens of other HAL expectations, I can see nothing to be worried about. (Except the Maasdam still does the very awkward last night MDR dinner ditty.)

I'm sorry about your bad experience on Maasdam. What other HAL ships have you been on?

The lounge style seating doesn't appeal to me either. I think the sightlines are much better in theater style seating.

If you don't want to go on another HAL cruise, have you tried Celebrity?

Hope your next cruise is more enjoyable.

Lest we forget, there are superior strengths of the Maasdam that may be in other passengers liking, if not the OP: wonderful library and reading spaces; wraparound teak deck for endless robust strolling and viewing; good to very good lecture series. HAL ships do better for self-contained passengers. They do not provide a high level of daily entertainment and distraction. But they do provide sufficient traditional structure to the day for those who prefer more independent choices.

For what it's worth, we found the evening shows on Eurodam to be very good; about the best we have ever seen on HAL. We were on board Jan 7/14.

HAL's show entertainment has historically not been one of her strongest features. IMO

Lest we forget, there are superior strengths of the Maasdam that may be in other passengers liking, if not the OP: wonderful library and reading spaces; wraparound teak deck for endless robust strolling and viewing; good to very good lecture series. HAL ships do better for self-contained passengers. They do not provide a high level of daily entertainment and distraction. But they do provide sufficient traditional structure to the day for those who prefer more independent choices.

Not sure what you mean by "traditional structure to the day." The only structure to the day was regularly schedule mealtimes. I suppose the exercise things were regularly scheduled, but I have an aversion to gyms, and prefer a walk on promenade deck, which I grant you is excellent.

"good to very good lecture series"? There were no lectures on my Maasdam cruise last fall. Granted, we had a lot of port days, so I wouldn't expect lectures then. I went back through my stuff (someday my house is going to collapse under the weight of the paper I bring home from vacations) to see what sort of lectures there were. None, not even on three sea days. I don't count spa lectures, demonstrations by the "party planner" in the culinary center, or photoshop lessons in the computer center as "lectures." There were no participatory cooking lessons because the area was being renovated (or so I was told).

We can entertain ourselves without a lot of daytime activities, so the lack of lectures didn't matter. I responded because I was surprised by your reference to a lecture series. Give me a deck chair and a book, and I'm a happy cruiser.

But the evening entertainment in Maasdam's showroom wasn't great, and it was so overamplified that I couldn't stand to be in there. I know that HAL has a reputation for an older demongraphic, but I'm not deaf, and have no wish to be! Thank goodness for Adagio Strings and the Neptunes. Without them, we'd have been watching TV in the cabin after dinner.

Unlike the OP, we had a lovely dinner in the Pinnacle, with good service.

I was NOT impressed with the podium staff at the MDR. There wasn't a special group on our cruise as an excuse, yet we were jerked around over our dining time. Like the OP, we discovered that we had been put in late seating when we had reqested early. And like the OP, the only option we were given was downstairs 5:15. Fortunately, we got a quiet table and an EXCELLENT waiter, which helped the situation a lot.

Question--what do the podium staff see on the computer screen when you give your cabin number? They know what cabin grade you've got from the cabin number, so that might affect how they view you. Do they know if you paid a "flash" fare? Do they see how many stars you have? Does any of that affect your position on the food chain, so to speak? (Like OP, we were on our 5th HAL cruise) Or do they treat everyone (except Neptune suite pax) like steerage?

Sorry your trip was not as enjoyable as you expected.

Our last cruise on HAL was on the Eurodam, 7 day Carribean a year or so ago. The one thing that bothered me, was there was a large group on board attending classes, i think a medical conference. Noticed the MDR was empty a lot in the evening, guess these conference folks were still attending classes or skipping the MDR. That would be fine, but when their conference was over, last night, they came and went from the MDR to such an extent that it really spoiled the atmoshpere in the MDR. Many would congregate at an ajoining table and talk at length with some friends.

Noticed this going on all over the MDR. Glad it only happened on the last night, if I had known I would have skipped the MDR that evening.

I have been sailing HA yrly since 07, all except 1 trip on the maasdam. I too see a huge difference in the service on the ship. Would I change lines like Cate M. no, I would not. I found the food to be better than it was last April. Lido much improved. MDR quality of beef still slipping to less expensive cuts, but still tastey. Being from the NE I can't enjoy their lobster. Having said this the veggie dishes were excellent.

Cabin stewarts seem very overworked. Always these wonderful people have worked hard to keep our cabin perfect and always in the past knew within 24 hrs not only what we liked, but our schedule and room was always ready and perfect. I think they cut staff and they now don't have the time to do or remember the "little things" that always impressed me about HA. Even this doesn't make me want to leave HA. Every company is cutting back and most people have to try and do more work in the same amount of time.

Entertainment.....it was good, what I saw. I don't like the set up of the tables either. I don't cruise for the shows.

Wine stewart I had was a young lady I thought was very rude. I didn't know that they only do wine since Oct. 11. She seemed as if I was bothering her when I asked for a cocktail before dinner. In the new "system" she does wine only. If your table mate wants a drink the waiter must order it and wait for bar man to deliver to him. then the waiter brings it to you. I found that this doesn't work at all. The waiter already has far too much to do and you don't get to enjoy your drink before dinner as I like.

Even with the cut backs.....it is still the wonderful crew that will bring me back to HA. They are hard working , friendly, wonderful people.

I did put down a future cruise deposit and told myself " let's see what happens next yr." I won't be cruising this yr again.

Just MHO

Cate

Hi Cate -

Thank you for your reply to my questions. One more if you don't mind - did they have any happy hours? If so when and where?

Thank you!!

there were happy hours at 4:30 ....one I saw was in the crows nest.

Cate54

We couldn't figure out why they changed to the little tables in the show room either, but then realized they use this room for shore excursion gatherings and the ability to have that front space flexible instead of fixed row seatings probably helps then use this large space for different functions.

Plus we found sitting in the chairs was quite comfortable and a great place to be for the lectures and even the shows. Turned out to be no big deal, and better than in the upper balcony where that railing is often just in the wrong place to good sight lines.

Archived