ATL Layover?

vwrestler171

I am assuming it's Delta to Delta, both domestic? If so, 57 should be ok. Don't get lazy because you may have to transit terminals which can take a bit of time, but if everything is on-time, 57 minutes is OK. However, try not to make it the last flight of the night, lest you get stuck in ATL.

Yes, It is on Delta and both domestic forgot to mention that. There are cpl more flights from ATL to FLL so I'm good there, I would prefer to have the later flight but it is another $50. Heard some horror stories about ATL, so I thought I'd check with everyone here

The horror stories fall into two categories, IMO:

1) People with flights that are delayed in arriving, necessitating mad dashes through the airport.

2) People who get to ATL and say "OMG....what a big airport. It's too big for me."

The former can happen at any airport. EVERY flight is a roll of the dice as to whether it will operate on time, even simple non-stops from A to B. As long as aircraft are man-made devices with wear and tear, things can break. As long as there is variable weather in the world, things can be delayed. It's how you are prepared, what risks you wish to assume and how you personally deal with disruptions to your planned travels.

The latter is a matter of personal style and again, preparation. If you know what to expect at ATL, it's actually a very easy airport to maneuver. Wide concourses, decent though not great signage, and a logical layout. Just know it's not going to be like Sioux City's airport (which is often mentioned in the same breath as ATL).

Here's the advice. Study the airport layout before you fly. On the day of flight, use the DL apps to keep up to date on flight status and gates. When leaving the jetway, look at the overhead display at the jetway - it will tell you your connecting flight gate info. Head there immediately - do any purchases of food and drink in the vicinity of your next gate. Have fun.

Yes, It is on Delta and both domestic forgot to mention that. There are cpl more flights from ATL to FLL so I'm good there, I would prefer to have the later flight but it is another $50. Heard some horror stories about ATL, so I thought I'd check with everyone here

The horror stories are usually from people who check their brains with their bags, which is unfortunately quite a good chunk of people. Flying isn't that difficult...people just convince themselves it is and put undo stress on themselves as a result.

ATL is really very basic. It's several parallel terminals connected by one straight line. Literally...that's the airport layout. A multi-terminal airport literally cannot get any easier than that. When you get off your first flight, find the nearest screen with flight info and locate your gate, then follow signs to said gate. It's really that simple, I swear. You'll be fine.

The Hartsfield Jackson airport has 6, and soon to be 7, parallel concourses with an underground transit system basically in the middle of each concourse. Regional jets usually, but not always, park at the ends to middle of concourses C and D. Full jets use all 6 concourses. Normally E is designated for international arrivals, and some international departures. The new terminal F will expand the international flights with customs and immigration. This will place most of the international flights at E and F.

The train is reached by escalator and elevator and the signage is overhead. There are also areas of congestion with shops and restaurants near the escalators so do pay heed. The elevators are a little bit more difficult to spot.

The trains run every 3-5 minutes.

This will all be clear when you look at the airport maps or hail me down as once again I travel via my home away from home, ATL.

57 minutes is doable if everything falls into place. If you want to get a better idea of gate options you can track your flight on the Delta website or flightstats.com.

In the event of an irrops and lack of availibility into FLL don't forget about alternate airports. West Palm and Miami come to mind.

Have a great trip/cruise.

What would you all say is an decent layover time in ATL? I don't want to have to run from gate to gate. I am looking at a flight that has a 57 min layover, and want to make sure that it is safe to book.

An able-bodied adult can easily manage a 57 minute layover at ATL. As others have said, ATL is large, but it is a very simple layout, signage is easy to follow, and the train that connects the terminals is frequent and fast. Upon descending the escalator, I've seldom waited more than a minute or so for a train.

Assuming your inbound flight is on time, in 57 minutes you should be able to exit the aircraft, get to the train, ride the train (if necessary) and get to your departure gate, and still have time stop to use the restroom or buy a bottle of water. Depending on your gate location, and your seat location on the arriving flight, you may even have time to grab a snack to go in the food court. Don't dawdle, and obviously if you are in the back of the aircraft on the incoming flight it'll take extra time to exit the aircraft, but that shouldn't keep you from making your connection.

• 2 weeks later...

ATL is my new hometown airport since our move to Georgia last year. We've flown twice since our move, and both times we arrived back at ATL, the train between terminals has been shut down. If this happens to you, you will have to walk the underground corridor instead of riding the train. Chances are it won't happen to you, but somehow our luck hasn't been that great! I'm flying home again tomorrow and this time I'm hoping that the train is running.

DO NOT believe the announcement or the airport employee stationed in the terminal who is supposed to direct you to your next gate. ALWAYS check the board for your next departure gate. I have been misdirected several times. The first and worst was with my 2 yr. old in a stroller. We were sent from B to D and were supposed to be at A. A mad dash thru ATL on the escalators and trains with a stroller was a scene I never want to repeat. Fortunately we made it but it is not a pleasant memory. Check check check!!

And the board you want to check is the one IMMEDIATELY after you exit the jetway. This is a custom display that shows all, and only, the flights for connections from the arriving flight. Saves you having to a) find a monitor in the concourse and b) find your specific flight from what may be multiple heading to your next destination.

Do not look at the monitor inside other gates, as those will again be tailored to whatever is the flight arriving there and nothing else.

As for being misdirected. Agents sometimes uses a printed sheet with connections, which is only as accurate as when it came out of the printer. The GIDS (Gate Information Display System) is the most up-to-date info.

Finally, when you do arrive at your new gate, double check to see that the display at the gate podium matches your next flight. It is always possible for there to be a change while you are "in transit" from one gate to the other.

Good news! The train was actually running this time!

My flight in January arrived at 11:30 pm and our gate was not available on D concourse, so the pilot turned the plane around and went to one on E concourse (!), the furthest one from the terminal. When I walked about a half mile to the train, I found the trains not running, so a young man on my flight with me said "let's go!" and we "race walked" all the way to the terminal to catch our rides home. It took 25 minutes walking double time to get out front. I was exhausted by the time we made it to our rides. But no need for the gym next day...:rolleyes:

You must have extremely bad luck. In all of my time as a DL flyer, I've never had a problem with the train system at ATL (or DTW for that matter). The MSP tram was plagued with startup issues, but also has been trouble-free for my visits. Should I buy a lotto ticket or have I already used up my quota of good luck??

You must have extremely bad luck. In all of my time as a DL flyer, I've never had a problem with the train system at ATL (or DTW for that matter). The MSP tram was plagued with startup issues, but also has been trouble-free for my visits. Should I buy a lotto ticket or have I already used up my quota of good luck??

I'll second that. For the last few years I've traveled through ATL roughly twice a month and cannot recall a single time the train wasn't running. Not saying it doesn't happen occasionally, but for you to have experienced it twice is particularly unlucky and out of the ordinary.

Same here. I've had no issues with the train. But I have had a gate change during the first leg of a flight home. We went to the gate indicated on our boarding passes and had quite a bit of time to spare. After a while I got this uneasy feeling that something wasn't right. Nobody was talking about our final destination and the flight information seemed slow to be posted in the departure area. Then the light bulb in my head went on and I checked the departure board. Our gate had changed while we were in flight. :eek: So we made a mad dash and made it just as they were announcing the final boarding call.

Gates can even change when you're at the "correct" gate. Friend was waiting for his connection with plenty of time. Got engrossed in a good book and missed the gate change announcement. He looked up an hour later and wondered where everyone was. He missed his connecting flight...so be sure to pay attention, and if you wander away from the gate be sure to check now and then on the monitors.

Sometimes a previous flight will still be sitting at the original gate, or the inbound leg of your flight has a big delay or was cancelled. It can result in "musical gates" that affects many flights

Archived