Freaking out!!

drider

[quote name='drider']Goodness... sill on pins and needles but I had to laugh at the TA. She said... "That must be a new rule about checking in 90 minutes early. I have never heard about that. On the other hand I did ask the GM of the company if he wanted to fly in the night before and he said no. I also asked him if he wanted to pay the extra 20 each per ticket to get refundable tickets that allow changes for no fees and he also refused those." She also said that no matter what they will get us all on a flight for the night before but they will not get rooms for us. We will have to do that on our own. She said that my DH and I will not have to pay any change fees. I think the TA and the GM will have some discussions about that but it will not be our problem. The seats for the flight they are looking at are filling fast and I wish we would have had an answer for me yesterday. All in all I have a positive feeling things will get worked out but I will not settle down until I get a confirmation with the flight changes.[/quote]

I'm glad the TA is taking care of changing the flgihts to the night before and absorbing the cost (whoever is doing it as long as it is not you!). Check out the Homeports boards for suggestions on hotels in Tampa for the night. ENjoy your cruise and please come back and post a review-I just booked Jewel for next Dec for a 4 night and would love to read more about her.

I can recommend the Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point. They have complimentary shuttle service that will pick you up at the airport and also drive you to the Port the day of the cruise and back to the airport after the cruise is over.

By the time you get a "cheap" hotel and pay for taxis, you are likely looking at the same price. Its about 25.00 or so just for a taxi from the airport area to the Port of Tampa

[URL="http://www.hiextampa.com/specials.php"]http://www.hiextampa.com/specials.php[/URL]

[quote name='orville99']Hopefully, the TA is making the same arrangements for the other four in your party. BTW, I'd send the TA the hotel bill after you get back even though the TA said they wouldn't cover the hotel night.[/quote]

this is a great idea!

[quote name='orville99']Hopefully, the TA is making the same arrangements for the other four in your party. BTW, I'd send the TA the hotel bill after you get back even though the TA said they wouldn't cover the hotel night.[/quote]

Keep all of the paperwork that came with the "winning a free cruise" documents. After sending to the hotel, let them know all copies will be sent to your credit card company disputing the charges if they will not reconcile.

[quote name='orville99']Hopefully, the TA is making the same arrangements for the other four in your party. BTW, I'd send the TA the hotel bill after you get back even though the TA said they wouldn't cover the hotel night.[/QUOTE]

Sending it (along with an explanation of the flight booking issue, etc.) to the agency owner/manager- instead of the TA, will likely give it a better chance at being resolved. Bon voyage!

[quote name='drider']Goodness... sill on pins and needles but I had to laugh at the TA. She said... "That must be a new rule about checking in 90 minutes early. I have never heard about that. On the other hand I did ask the GM of the company if he wanted to fly in the night before and he said no. I also asked him if he wanted to pay the extra 20 each per ticket to get refundable tickets that allow changes for no fees and he also refused those." She also said that no matter what they will get us all on a flight for the night before but they will not get rooms for us. We will have to do that on our own. She said that my DH and I will not have to pay any change fees. I think the TA and the GM will have some discussions about that but it will not be our problem. The seats for the flight they are looking at are filling fast and I wish we would have had an answer for me yesterday. All in all I have a positive feeling things will get worked out but I will not settle down until I get a confirmation with the flight changes.[/quote]

Been following from your first post.

Can't believe your TA that she said 90 minute rule must be new....has she even ever been on a cruise? I think not!

Sounds like things are now going in the right direction....I pray it all goes smoothly and you have a great cruise!!

Keep up the fight and let us know the outcome!

[quote name='Merion_Mom']If the TA has booked them through Chicago when they are going from El Paso, Texas to Tampa, Florida, then that TA is even MORE incompetent than appeared in the beginning! :eek:[/quote]

Well, that might depend on the cost of the tickets. There could be a huge savings by flying through Chicago.

I will be flying from San Antonio to Tampa, through Chicago, in April. I am using frequent flyer miles and that was the one and only flight available on the day I needed to fly (the day before my cruise). Yes, it will be a Royal pain to fly through Chicago instead of Dallas, but the price was right :D

[quote name='ryano']I can recommend the Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point. They have complimentary shuttle service that will pick you up at the airport and also drive you to the Port the day of the cruise and back to the airport after the cruise is over.

By the time you get a "cheap" hotel and pay for taxis, you are likely looking at the same price. Its about 25.00 or so just for a taxi from the airport area to the Port of Tampa

[URL]http://www.hiextampa.com/specials.php[/URL][/quote]

I can second this recommendation and there is also a Hampton Inn that is next door and shares the same shuttle. I think you have to choose the "cruise package" when you make the reservation. If you do not see it available online .. call the hotel directly.

[URL]http://www.hamptoninntamparockypoint.com/[/URL]

Once you have your tickets finalized, you may also want to check hotwire for hotels...I think you will see good deals. You can check betterbidding.com to help ID the properties. the 2 star airport for $48 is probably LaQuinta, The three and half at airport for $56 is probably Embassy suites or doubletree, the $56 three and half downtown is probably Sheraton or hyatt, and the $72 downtown is probably Westin. even with taxes, taxi to port and such, those seem like great deals.

[quote name='CruisesOnMyMind']Sorta off topic here but,,,I am really interested in what you have to say, however I cannot read your posts.
Could you please make your fonts larger. :)
I hate to miss anything:D[/QUOTE]

Cut and paste... can you read it now? It's odd. On my home computer the font looks huge at work it was so tiny I could barely read it myself :o

"It's not like there is a lot of time left for other plans to be made by the OP. You say your confused by our suggestions. Do you have a better one to add?

I realize the OP may not have the $ to put towards new tickets. But it was just a suggestion by many in this thread. What the OP has for airfare isn't going to work and the OP will miss their cruise. So the only other thing is to change their plane tickets. Who pays for it has yet to be decided. Good Luck OP"

[quote name='bikergal78'][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Wow, I agree with what everyone else is saying. If you can't change the tickets to fly in a day early and pay the change fees I would just book my own flight the day prior or even the day of with a different airline. Paying for airline tickets with free cruise is still cheaper than what you would pay for both the cruise and airfare.

Dare I ask what the return flight time is? I hope it is after 12 Noon or later. You don't need any stress after an awesome cruise.

[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Resizing so you guys can read it :p

[quote name='BND']That's probably because once they check in for the flight, Princess checks them in since they would be aware of who was and wasn't on the flight. I've heard of ships being held for cruise line booked flights, but not for individuals. I've also heard of ships being delayed to allow for travel during bad weather, blizzards for example. In these cases you're usually talking about at least several hundred people and not just a few.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't count on this. There were over 30 people on our flight booked by Royal Caribbean that got delayed and made it to the port 20 minutes after check in time. They couldn't hold the ship for us even though they hadn't sailed - Homeland Security had cleared the ship and that was that - no more passengers. RC was very apologetic and nice and helpful to everyone though.

[quote name='CruisesOnMyMind']Sorta off topic here but,,,I am really interested in what you have to say, however I cannot read your posts.
Could you please make your fonts larger. :)
I hate to miss anything:D[/quote]
In order to increase the font size, just hold down the ctrl key and scroll up.

Worse case??:eek:

With pre approval of exception with RCCL:
1. One fly in early and check everyone in!
2. Could 5 or one person get off plane on present plane reservation,
and take immediate cab to port
and check everyone in with the remaining person or persons coming with bags???
3. Or would ship delay until they get there!

Where is first destination port?

[quote name='Arizona Cruz Chic']Thank you...I've skipped over all their posts because you can not read them!

***[/QUOTE]

That was my posts you skipped :eek:

I don't know why the font size was so small :confused: It looked normal on my end. I resized and quoted my posts so people could read them.

I am glad the OP is getting things squared away. I can't wait to hear about how it all turns out when they get back :)

Thanks for the updates. Been following this from the beginning. Be firm and be persistant. I sure hope it all works out for you.

The Jewel is a beautiful ship. We loved it so much we did the same itinerary 3 times! That says something when we have to fly in for a cruise and chose that one three different times! You will love it! Enjoy!

I wouldn't count on this. There were over 30 people on our flight booked by Royal Caribbean that got delayed and made it to the port 20 minutes after check in time. They couldn't hold the ship for us even though they hadn't sailed - Homeland Security had cleared the ship and that was that - no more passengers. RC was very apologetic and nice and helpful to everyone though.

My point was more that they won't do it for individuals and that the ONLY time I've heard it being done was in those situations. Not saying they always do it or that they even do it often, just that it's the only instances I've ever heard of.

And, never a problem for us. We have only flown to one cruise and we were in town 5 days before the cruise. We either take the train or drive and always go in a day early except for going out of Baltimore because we're only an hours drive from there.

just trying to be positive here, I was on Jewel 12-15-11 and people were still boarding during the muster drill. Don't know if they were booked through ChoiceAir and the ship knew they were coming, but little groups of people kept straggling onboard during the drill. And my cab ride was closer to 15 minutes from airport to ship, not 20 minutes.

Archived