opting out of auto tipping?

Antique1900

The reason that the tipping is set up this way is so that the cruise looks cheaper and also the cruise line does not pay TA comission on this amount.

The cruise lines would just include it in the "Non Commissonable" portion of the fare so the TAs would not get anything from it.

Why would you think your son shouldn't have to pay? That's totally wrong. Heck, even people who bring infants on a ship have to tip. Doesn't matter if you're 1 or 100, gratuities are paid by everyone, because everyone is served in one way or another by crew members.

Your son will be using and dirtying sheets, towels and the cabin, that the steward has to clean. He will be dining at tables in the buffet that have to be cleaned by waiters. He will be eating food in the buffet that is serviced and prepared by crew members. If you eat in the main dining room, he will be served by waiters and have his dirty dishes removed by the assistant waiter. So, again, seeing he's using the services of all the crew, why shouldn't he have to pay for the service charges/tips?

BTW, you don't tip as you go. You don't leave money on the table in the main dining room or buffet. That's just not the way it's done on cruises.

OK, I think I now understand the OP's reticence for tipping. I may be wrong, but I believe she's from Europe, and part of the anti-tipping culture. Not a slam against the OP, but it does seem to follow that certain European cultures aren't pro tipping. OP, your country might not be part of the US tipping business, but since you're cruising a US based cruise line, that's how it goes, regardless of how anyone feels about it.

Its nothing to do with 'anti-tipping' or 'aren't pro tipping'. Tipping in most of Europe is not required, or expected. We believe in fair wages for a fair days work. If that means increasing the cruise fare and getting rid of tips or service charges then so be it(just as Princess have done in Australia, and RCI have to the 15% on drinks on cruises in Europe). It would also remove any, and all, questions such as the OP raised.

Its nothing to do with 'anti-tipping' or 'aren't pro tipping'. Tipping in most of Europe is not required, or expected. We believe in fair wages for a fair days work. If that means increasing the cruise fare and getting rid of tips or service charges then so be it(just as Princess have done in Australia, and RCI have to the 15% on drinks on cruises in Europe). It would also remove any, and all, questions such as the OP raised.

You should just find cruises that are aimed at Europeans. Then, no tip would be needed. When you take cruises that are mainly aimed at the North American market, tips are expected and the main compensation for staff

And I know kids who believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy.

What you believe in has nothing to do how things are.

"Fair wages for a fair days work" is an admirable goal. Just what do you think is wrong in allowing passengers to protest unsatisfactory work by witholding that part of the crew's compensation which is intended to compensate them for the (usually) exemplary service we enjoy while cruising?

The removable service charge allows just that: if a passenger is willing to go on record protesting the level of service, he has the right to remove the service charge. Would it be fair to require the passenger to pay the full price of the cruise if he did not receive an important element of it?

In any event, passengers know (or surely should) what the terms of their passage is. So what if the line is able to advertise a lower basic fare? The line is entitled to conduct its business as it sees fit, and the staff are entitled to work as a team so as rto minimize any cancellations of service charge.

The bottom line is: having a removable service charge acts an incentive for exemplary performance. If a passenger wants to give fair pay, he simply needs to leave the service charge in place -- and augment it with extra tips if service has been superior.

The other side of that argument is that whenever American's travel to Europe, especially as late as five years ago, we had to put up with your culture of smoking everywhere - restaurants, bars, train stations. We believe in healthy, smoke free environments when dining. But never did we insist that you change your ways to accommodate us, even though we didn't like to be around the incessant smoking. As a life time non-smoker who at the time lived in a progressive area like California, which has led the world in the movement towards restricting smoking in public places, we endured virtually every meal surrounded by smokers. We knew this was the culture, and we dealt with it as best we could.

As a European cruising on an American owned cruise line, the same can be expected of Europeans regarding the issue of tipping and how we do it in our culture. If we have to abide by the "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" rule when we travel to Europe, the same can be expected of you when you travel to ours, or on American owned cruise ships.

Learn to live with it - we had to for years with the smoking when travelling to Europe.

If everyone around the world tries to make everywhere around the world just like it is at home, why bother to travel? It cannot possibly be a good thing to try and remake everywhere else to be 'just like at home'.

Each culture has its own signatures and when we travel into another society/culture we learn from it. We may not like all facets but those with sense and manners, act respectfully and conduct themselves in accordance with what is expected of them when in that enviorn.

If someone truly does not like the way the culture does things in that other environment, why go there? :confused:

You should just find cruises that are aimed at Europeans. Then, no tip would be needed. When you take cruises that are mainly aimed at the North American market, tips are expected and the main compensation for staff

I do take cruises aimed at mainly Europeans, i.e from Southampton, or other European ports.

And I know kids who believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy.

What you believe in has nothing to do how things are.

I know exactly how things are thankyou very much, I never said anything different.

The other side of that argument is that whenever American's travel to Europe, especially as late as five years ago, we had to put up with your culture of smoking everywhere - restaurants, bars, train stations. We believe in healthy, smoke free environments when dining. But never did we insist that you change your ways to accommodate us, even though we didn't like to be around the incessant smoking. As a life time non-smoker who at the time lived in a progressive area like California, which has led the world in the movement towards restricting smoking in public places, we endured virtually every meal surrounded by smokers. We knew this was the culture, and we dealt with it as best we could.

As a European cruising on an American owned cruise line, the same can be expected of Europeans regarding the issue of tipping and how we do it in our culture. If we have to abide by the "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" rule when we travel to Europe, the same can be expected of you when you travel to ours, or on American owned cruise ships.

Learn to live with it - we had to for years with the smoking.

I am not asking you to change your ways. If you travelled on one of Princesses ships in Australia you will still pay the daily service charge. Australians don't as it is included in the fare.

Most of western Europe now has very strong anti-smoking laws prohibiting smoking in bars, restaurants & public buildings.

Cruises that start and end in Europe are not American cruises and are not booked through an American Company. My cruise contract states quite clearly that I am booked through, and my contract is with, Princess UK.

Princess ships are flagged in Bermuda which is a British Overseas territory so that means the ships are not exactly American.

When I used to go to the US, I did tip the required 15-20% as per local custom.

I do live with the service charge, I never said I didn't.

LOL No I do not want to stiff them. I would like to tip as I go along as I believe if the service is not up to standard then they do not deserve my tip, also if they are exceptional they deserve extra. Also my son who is 13 is travelling with me, I do not agree to the cruise liner charging a 13 yr old a daily fee for service (at the end of the day he's only a child) but hey that's just my opinion. Bearing in mind this my first ever cruise and I just want to enjoy it and not be stiffed myself :rolleyes:

If you are happy with the service, you can ALWAYS tip extra (cash or autotip adjustment). If you are unhappy with the service, PLEASE don't wait until the end of your cruise to let someone know -- that's a true lose/lose situation. As to full-tips for a 13 year old -- sometimes kids are as much (or more) work for the staff than adults. ;)

If everyone around the world tries to make everywhere around the world just like it is at home, why bother to travel? It cannot possibly be a good thing to try and remake everywhere else to be 'just like at home'.

Each culture has its own signatures and when we travel into another society/culture we learn from it. We may not like all facets but those with sense and manners, act respectfully and conduct themselves in accordance with what is expected of them when in that enviorn.

If someone truly does not like the way the culture does things in that other environment, why go there? :confused:

Well said!!! :cool:

Our girl was 13 on our most recent cruise, but we never thought (and certainly wouldn't) about taking off her share of the autotips. And even though she rarely ate in the MDR (I think only one breakfast) for the two weeks,she did eat many times in the Horizon. She did use towels. She did sleep in the bed. Our cabin steward often left her a plate of muffins or cookies (even though somebody else ate them:D).

We believe in fair wages for a fair days work.

This is the most laughable part of your argument. Do you realize that the average wage for a hotel maid in the Philippines is $125 PER MONTH? Lots of Filipinos working on cruise ships. The average wage for the same position for Eastern Europeans is about $180 PER MONTH. The average wage in India for the same type of work is $110 PER MONTH. And don't forget, those wages DO NOT include food and a roof over your head. What cruise ship employees get for base salary is just about what the AVERAGE wage is in their country for the same position. Do you know airline pilots in Mexico make just slightly more than your average US admin (secretary)? About $35,000 per year.

So the only way to pay fair wages for a fair days work is base it on where the person is from???? Ludicrous premise and people working on cruise ships are working there BECAUSE the money they make from the tips leaves them ABOVE the average in their home country. Brings them at least into the middle class, if not the the upper middle classes.

Once had a waiter on an X cruise tell me he had purchased two houses, set his sister up in business, was able to pay for upscale schooling for all his kids, and was in the process of setting up his own business when he decided he had enough of the cruise ship life. He was from the Philippines.

Opting out of auto tipping is a NO NO on any cruise line that bases its business on the American model.

A 13 year old takes as much space as an adult, eats as much (and off the adult menu), uses sheets and towels just like an adult, and probably makes more of a mess than the average adult, yet you want to remove tipping because they are a child?

There's only one word for that.

CHEAP!!!

I have read a lot of doozies on these boards, but this one is pretty close to the top. The worst part is that it's trying to be justified. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!

I'd be careful that your toothbrushes are locked up so they aren't used to clean the toilet. I hope a nice clean toilet would be up to your "standards." :rolleyes:

A 13 year old takes as much space as an adult, eats as much (and off the adult menu), uses sheets and towels just like an adult, and probably makes more of a mess than the average adult, yet you want to remove tipping because they are a child?

There's only one word for that.

CHEAP!!!

I have read a lot of doozies on these boards, but this one is pretty close to the top. The worst part is that it's trying to be justified. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!

I'd be careful that your toothbrushes are locked up so they aren't used to clean the toilet. I hope a nice clean toilet would be up to your "standards." :rolleyes:

Come on! He's "just a child". :D

LOL No I do not want to stiff them. I would like to tip as I go along as I believe if the service is not up to standard then they do not deserve my tip, also if they are exceptional they deserve extra. Also my son who is 13 is travelling with me, I do not agree to the cruise liner charging a 13 yr old a daily fee for service (at the end of the day he's only a child) but hey that's just my opinion. Bearing in mind this my first ever cruise and I just want to enjoy it and not be stiffed myself :rolleyes:

And you seriously think your 13 year old isnt more work, not less??

Always someone who has to scrimp though .. sorry its you.

Geez Guys,

All of this information must have put Antique1900 on overload-- either that or .................. once again you've gone and scared off another new member.

How are we gonna get any fresh newbies if you keep scaring them off?

And you seriously think your 13 year old isnt more work, not less??

Always someone who has to scrimp though .. sorry its you.

It's fascinating that a lot of people book a cruise and suddenly realize what a financial drain a kid is. Coupled with the knowledge that the kid doesn't contribute to the family's income and all of a sudden they don't want keep paying the kid's way.

no not at all,we are from australia,and we don't believe in being forced to pay gratuities unless they are warranted (and that includes most australians),we are not stingy or mean any any way,but believe in paying those directly who do a good job.

we have cruised 4 times and have had gratuities removed, then paid direct, and on three occassions have given more than the compulsory gratuities.

this question would never get asked again if the damn cruise companies would just include the gratuities in the advertised price of the cruise and say 'no gratuities to pay'.

whether people think it is right or wrong to leave or ask to have gratuities dropped is their right.

but if the the cruise lines didn't mention them,you would never know about them

cruise-on

no not at all,we are from australia,and we don't believe in being forced to pay gratuities unless they are warranted (and that includes most australians),we are not stingy or mean any any way,but believe in paying those directly who do a good job.

we have cruised 4 times and have had gratuities removed, then paid direct, and on three occassions have given more than the compulsory gratuities.

this question would never get asked again if the damn cruise companies would just include the gratuities in the advertised price of the cruise and say 'no gratuities to pay'.

whether people think it is right or wrong to leave or ask to have gratuities dropped is their right.

cruise-on

actuallysinceyouarefromaustraliayougettopayahigherfarewhichalreadycoversgratuities

ofcoursethereistheoldadage'wheninromedontdolikeathome'butnoteveryonecomprehendsthatcocept

enjoyyourtrip

Geez Guys,

All of this information must have put Antique1900 on overload-- either that or .................. once again you've gone and scared off another new member.

How are we gonna get any fresh newbies if you keep scaring them off?

The OP only posted the first post on this thread a couple of days ago. Not everyone can spend a lot of time online. Now, if the OP doesn't post for months...

cruise-on

If you're booking on a non-Australian cruise, you may want to read some of the many threads about tipping for the cruiseline you're planning to go on. Sometimes it's not a matter of anything other than how the line wants to pay commissions to TAs, how they want to pay taxes on income, the psychology of having a lower fare if they don't include the tips, some other reasons (I'm not an accountant so I'm not an expert), a combination of some reasons. The cruiselines really don't have to answer why they use auto-tipping. And if this is a deal breaker for you, there are premium cruiselines that include the tips in the fare.

I hope you realize that those you paid direct had to turn in ALL the money to the tip pool, so in reality, they probably got LESS than than they would have gotten with the auto tips.

Example: You gave your steward $50, gave the head waiter $50 and gave the assistant waiter $20. That is a total of $120. They had to turn in ALL that money. Auto tips would have been a minimum of $140 on a 7 day cruise (different cruise lines, different amounts of money). So in essence, you STIFFED the staff by at least $20.00.

AND your waiters and steward had to account for WHY they didn't provide the service to warrant keeping the auto tips. Could result in no promotion, no renewal of contract or actually being FIRED. Do you REALIZE those are possibilities???

When you sail on American based cruise lines with AMERICAN CUSTOMS, please abide by them. Otherwise, you are doing a HUGE disservice to those who serve you on cruise ships.

I would not like auto tipping either; I feel I can tip at the end like one other cruise lines do how much, and agree with the children thing. I have 3 kids cruising with us, and I will be the one cleaning up after them after they clean up after themselves. When we go out and stay at hotels, I never want room service. Something about people touching my things. And for the dinner I don't understand why it is per person, why not 15% of the entire bill, like other restaurants? Why per person??? Not trying to be mean, just curious as we are going on a first cruise soon.

I would not like auto tipping either; I feel I can tip at the end like one other cruise lines do how much, and agree with the children thing. I have 3 kids cruising with us, and I will be the one cleaning up after them after they clean up after themselves. When we go out and stay at hotels, I never want room service. Something about people touching my things. And for the dinner I don't understand why it is per person, why not 15% of the entire bill, like other restaurants? Why per person??? Not trying to be mean, just curious as we are going on a first cruise soon.

Do your children eat off your plate and sleep in your bed ? If not, they represent additional individuals being served. Additionally, very few children are neater than adults - thereby hardly less work clearing up after. Then, have you figured what "15% of the entre bill" amounts to? Would you apply it to the cruise fare -- or just that portion of the cruise fare you think it should be applied to? Of course, since you are only on one deck - and there might be ten decks on the ship, you can probably justify applying that 15% to just 10% of your fare -- after all, you don't use all the decks, why should you pay for them. Finally, when you stay at a hotel do you leave a tip for the chambermaid -- or do you and your kids change the sheets before you leave?

Archived