Just a comment about rough seas

1948buddy

I rather enjoy it when the sea gets a little angry. I find it fun walking down the cabin deck hallways and meet others who are kinda going from wall to wall. What I cannot figure out is, how in the world do the performers on stage don't seem to be affected by it ? We were going into some large swells one evening, and every now and then it was like we ran over another boat or something. I was told later it was only the large waves. And through all this , the people on stage did not seem to lose a beat. Rather amazing.

I love being on the ocean, and fortunately I'm not prone to motion sickness. It can be a little exhilirating when the water's a little rough!:eek::D As far as the performers not being effected, I wonder if the stage has its' own stabilizers?:rolleyes:

I love being on the ocean, and fortunately I'm not prone to motion sickness. It can be a little exhilirating when the water's a little rough!:eek::D As far as the performers not being effected, I wonder if the stage has its' own stabilizers?:rolleyes:

I'm with you on loving being on the ocean and fortunately neither DW nor I are prone to motion sickness. It was a little rough one night last week on the Jewel and we were headed to our cabin almost bouncing off the walls of the hallway. Neither one of us had had a drink at the time but I'm sure we looked otherwise. Sure did feel nice to be rocked to sleep later on.;)

When you are used to being at sea, you will find that heavy seas pretty much have a pattern. Unconsciously, you pay attention and know when to expect the next pitch of the ship. Also, when you have your sea legs, and I mean really have your sea legs, you keep your knees flexed and absorb the motion.

You will see some people hanging on for dear life, and others calmly walking along, but they are doing so knowing how to do it. Either way, you keep "one hand for yourself and one for the boat," and always have a hand to hang on with.

The seas can get too rough and they will either modify their shows or cancel some altogether.

I love the rough seas, and prefer to be outside and as high as possible, if we're allowed out doors. It's the same with the cabins....I'd a real disappointment this year, when we had a mid ship inside, down on deck 5, and couldn't feel the ship move at all....:(

OH loved it, as he had the best sleeps ever!:rolleyes:

Jo.

I love the rough seas, and prefer to be outside and as high as possible, if we're allowed out doors. It's the same with the cabins.....

I'm with you... just love the 'rock and roll' - kinda like being back in the cradle !! :)

We love the rough weather. There are less people out and about, which makes it feel like a half full ship. It is real easy to find an empty seat in the theater and there are usually no line ups for anything.

Most of the time the shows seem to go on although sometimes there are altered like the unicycle rider or the jugglar.

A day or two of high seas really adds to the cruise. On Noordam from New York in the winter of 2007 we hit very high seas our first sea day - I was in 1002 - all the way forward on the main deck - several times there was green water outside the window as the ship nosed into some of the larger seas -- a great experience

On the back-stage tour, the question about balance was asked of the dancers and singers. Apparently, it's a bigger problem for the singers, who are supposed to be standing in one place or moving slowly. The dancers say it's easier to adjust to the movement of the ship while they're already moving.

Well, that's what they SAID!!! And I, too, love some motion. I want to know I'm on a ship on the ocean.

Barb in so cal.

Some like the megaships and never know whether they are at sea or Disneyland. We like the salt air, view of the ocean and a little motion.

Hurricanes, I'll stay on land.

Yep, and the Radiance class is the perfect size!

When you are used to being at sea, you will find that heavy seas pretty much have a pattern. Unconsciously, you pay attention and know when to expect the next pitch of the ship. Also, when you have your sea legs, and I mean really have your sea legs, you keep your knees flexed and absorb the motion.

You will see some people hanging on for dear life, and others calmly walking along, but they are doing so knowing how to do it. Either way, you keep "one hand for yourself and one for the boat," and always have a hand to hang on with.

The seas can get too rough and they will either modify their shows or cancel some altogether.

I agree with your observations. After a lifetime riding the New York subways, I can easily stand without hanging onto a pole. The same balancing translates into having 'sealegs' at sea.

As for the performers.....My father years ago was a semi-invalid as far as walking was concerned. But when he got on a dance-floor, you would never know it!:)

Have you ever been at sea on a cruise ship during a really bad storm? We were on the Dream in 2010 heading towards Port Canaveral and the storm was really bad all night long. I don't mind large white caps, but this was really scary I don't get sea sick or at least I didn't that night which was surprising. I think I was too scard!!! They kept everyone in their cabins it was so bad. We leave next Sat. on the Valor ao praying for no storms. Has anyone else ever been out in a bad storm?

It started off simple enough like this...

Bow wave from my balcony 450 away. See the ships bridge wing in the upper right corner?

5290627480_5ae7b01a2b_z.jpg

Then turned into a churning sea...

From my balcony

5290667264_8f9fd44f1b_z.jpg

No one was here either...

The main swimming pool

5289990661_22942f65af_z.jpg

It blew all the deck chairs away into piles...

5290687706_14c9213ca4_z.jpg

I had a blast! :D

While the power of the seas is not to be dismissed as unimportant, no matter how large the ship, ships can take very heavy seas without actual threat to the ship itself. People on board can have a tough time, but unless you are talking about some pretty intense seas, there isn't much to be scared about. And by the way, the largest mega-ships can be tossed around too under the right conditions.

As the seas pick up, a ship will adjust course as needed to minimize rolling, so they will put the seas on the bow or the stern. Oddly, ships are made to go to sea, so they are built to withstand the seas! One thing about people who are not often at sea, they tend to overestimate the size of the seas when things get rough. If you look carefully at the pictures in the previous post, the seas are not all that high. It is rough, but we are not talking about really major seas.

How a ship reacts to the seas is a very complicated issue. It has to do with the size of the seas, the frequency of the seas, how many different wave trains are interacting together, the length of the ship in relation to the frequency of the waves, the speed of the ship, and other factors. Two different ships in the same seas will react somewhat differently, and sometimes the larger ship will seem to be doing worse if the frequency and ship's length hit if off wrong. (Generally the smaller ship will toss more.)

This is not to say that a ship can handle anything at all. All ships will avoid hurricanes at all costs, and the seas and winds that accompany them. While ships are big and strong, Mother Nature is decidedly bigger and stronger. Weather forecasting and weather broadcasts help ships know where to go to avoid such storms. Buoys and ships' reports help ships know what the seas are like as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I must admit im terrified of rough seas. I get motion sickness. Ive been on 1 cruise and was sick the whole time. I tried dramamine and the bracelets, but they didnt work

Im sailing in the end of April, PRAYING the seas are calm and the patch works for me. Ive also spent more time on the water since the last cruise, in lake and river situations, so hopefully that will work in my favor.......

Going for a week this time and would be unfortunate to be sick the whole time for my big 4 0 b day week.

Archived