Am I the only on who has NEVER had a complaint about a Carnival cruise???

amyj23

Okay, I have several questions for you guys... I keep reading comments on here about problems they've had on ships. Am I perhaps easy to please? I've always found that all staff on the ships, no matter where they were working, were above and beyond what I expected. Does anyone else feel that way? Also, people will say that they had good service on a specific ship. Well, that doesn't really mean much, because there are staff members that change each time the ship pulls into port. So the staff/entertainment/cruise director, etc could change from one week to the next. So to say "The service on the Dream was great, I highly recommend booking that ship in six months!" doesn't really make sense. Right? It's one thing to say that you like Carnival over RCL. I mean, they're different companies with different policies. So that could mean actual differences in service. And same thing about the food. We've sailed on three different Carnival ships, and the menu was the same each time, and the meals were the same from ship to ship -- and very delicious! How can you make the blanket statement that one ship's food was better than another? That's like saying Red Lobster in my town is better than in another town. I mean, they follow the same protocol from ship to ship! I think some people are picky or like to complain. Am I making any sense?

The only complaint ive ever had on any of our Cranival cruises is that they end way to soon.:( I can over look just about anything. Where ever you go and whatever you do in life there will be things that you see can be improved. I honestly can't see how these things could ever ruin my vacation.

Any wise company (and particularly one that hopes to survive for many decades to come) welcomes complaints from its customers.

Even a thing that I might consider a minor irritation is important to the cruise line if the same issue comes up with many other customers. And a wave of severe criticism cannot be neglected without eventually harming the company's bottom line. Look at how many companies have deservedly folded in this economy due to the quality of their products, services, or treatment of customers.

If a company is smart, it is constantly gauging the responses of customers and balancing the cost/benefit of resolving those issues.

And if a company gets a negative reputation for some aspect of its service, smart competitors are always ready seize on those weaknesses in their own marketing and self-promotion.

Complaints or comments?? There are way to many complainers out there.

All of the complaints I've had are relatively small ones that I won't let ruin my vacation or prompt me to never cruise Carnival again.

We had a waitress on one ship that for the first couple of nights, I was thinking she wasn't a very good waitress.....but she did explain to us that she had one table that was full of young persons in a group that were causing her all sorts of problems. And while she did her best to placate them and make them happy, they are the sort that probably made sure to remove all her tips. So, if you're getting bad service, ask yourself....is there something that's going on at a different table that you may not be aware of that is affecting your service?

On the Victory, our head waiter was very professional and prompt and did his job well, but he was perhaps too professional and rigid. That's not to say he wasn't a good waiter, because he was, but we just didn't seem to click with him the way we do most of our waiters.

But yes, those are service-related issues, and on the very next cruise, circumstances and people can change. And other diners in the MDR may have completely different experiences even with the same waiter on the same cruise, so the OP is right, service-related issues are very fluid.

A complaint that isn't service-related was the fact that our area of the Victory had what I can only describe as an intermittent sewer smell. The crew did it's best to figure it out, but when they were there, apparently they were not smelling it. It lasted the whole cruise, intermittently, and sometimes more subtle than others. This only affected certain areas and only intermittently, and of the six cruises I've been on, it was the only time it happened, so I know it's highly unlikely that we'll have that problem on any other cruise. And again, most people on the Victory probably wouldn't even realize it.

Some folks on CC write about both the good and not so good things that happened on their vacation. No doubt there are people who are nit picky complainers, but nearly all of the CC'ers I've met in person like to post balanced reviews so that readers (that aren't already frequent cruisers) can have realistic expectations for their trips. It's why I started reading trip reports long before my first post here.

Lot's of people on this thread might be misinterpreting honest and realistic cruise reviews for complaints. Not everyone has the composition skills to properly convey to any reader the exact intent of their message. I could take almost any review here, read it out loud to you, and with the proper tone and emphasis make you believe just the opposite of what the author meant. Now realize that nearly all of us have a little guy in our head "reading to us out loud" as we take in information. What tonal inflections are your "little guy" using today? :D

I, too, am pretty easy to please, and don't typically complain about much unless it's really, really bad. I guess if I had to find fault with something, it would be the attitude of certain passengers. This is not unique to any particular cruise line, and certainly not the fault of any particular cruise line. We've all probably come across a passenger or two that we'd love to toss overboard, to keep their nasty attitude from ruining our vacation. It takes a very special person to work in Guest Relations and be able to deal with the occasional Grinch that goes on a cruise. Oh sure, there is sometimes room for improvement in certain areas, such as food quality, entertainment, or service. But I don't dwell on things like that and let petty things ruin my vacation. Besides, after a few pina coladas, who cares?:D

Some people have very high expectations, or a very negative attitude in general, or a combination of both. For example, I've never noticed silly things such as worn carpet, or if I did, I didn't even retain it as anything to be bothered about. Food is always subjective, but I've never found that there wasn't more than enough delicious food choices for me at any given hour. Some people whine about everything - in life, and on their vacations. (One reason anytime dining is perfect for us!!) Some of our cruises might be a tad more enjoyable than others for various reasons, but every one of them has been AMAZING so far...

Out of all my cruises, I have had no major complaints. There have occasionally been minor annoyances, but nothing major, and nothing that ruined any of my cruises.

Example; one (actually the only) time that I have had an unpleasant experience with a member of ship's personel, was on the Liberty in 2009. It was the internet cafe manager. He was outright rude on more than one occasion, and was unkempt and reeked of body odor. I only asked for help with an issue and he yelled at me to wait my turn. I was the only one in there! Issue was, I could log on, but then system froze, yet my minutes were dwindling. He did however refund the charges.

Did it ruin my cruise? No way, in fact it was one of the very best ever!

I think we all find one or two things on each cruise, that might not be great for us, at least that is my experience. I am more likely to forget about the one not so good thing, than to dwell on it. :)

In 7 Carnival cruises, ranging from 3-days to 7-days, I've never had cause for complaint. There aren't very many companies about which I could say the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, some things are definitely better on some ships than on others, but overall we've had a very good experience with Carnival.

What one might think of as a flaw another thinks of as a complaint. I first came to this board about two years ago to research my families first cruise. We were looking RCL and CCL. So I spent time on both boards. Again two years later we are going on another cruise and again we looked at both before going to with CCL. So I spent time on both boards.

People on the Carnival side or more critical of what other write about Carnival than those that post at RCL. Both sides have their "fan boys" but Carnivals are more or less rabid about being a Carnival fan.

With that being said, two years ago so many here talked to food up on Carnival. When we got on the ship the my family thought the food was just so-so, slightly a step above a mass market cafeteria. The hamburger are slighty a step away from becoming charcoal. Maybe I am more critical of the food as I am a big foodie and almost quit being a Paramedic to go to culinary school.

Many of such high expectations before they go and find things are not what some make them out to be and come back dissappointed.

I guess that's what I mean, though. Um, Carnival can't control high winds. So that has nothing to do with Carnival. That's simply a disappointment. And if the screen on lido is too loud, go to a different pool. And I am always hot, so I'm happy to bundle up in a cold room.

Oh, and for the record, I've been on four Carnival cruises, three different ships. (We did a B2B on the Dream.) Maybe I forgive the little things because I'm having such an amazing time. But I'm not a picky eater, and I admire how hard the people work on those boats. I've seen jerks abuse the women at the purser's desk. There are some people who find a reason to complain about anything, anywhere. And they probably don't even know that they are those people... Well, I hope that I really am just easy to please, because I don't want to think that we'll start to experience disappointment after we've been on more cruises. I'm too optimistic to think like that...

Seems to me that you just want to beat up and flame anyone else's complaints and say they are not valid.

Everyone is allowed their opinion. Dont get up on your high horse as if they are not. We can all give our opinions and should be respected .. not told they are not valid. You could not last in customer service by saying.. well just go to another pool if the music is too loud. I went thru that on Conquest when they first installed the new speakers outside and the big screen. It was impossible for me too .. glad they listened and turned it down.

Telling someone their complaints are not valid .. I went thru that and know how it feels when someone runs into someone like you on here who says their complaints should be swallowed and not voiced and dismissive ..

I hope you never do run into a problem, because if you do you will run into someone like you who dismisses every problem.

I don't know if I'm been lucky but any problems I might experience either planning the cruise or during it have always been handled professionally by Carnival. None of these "problems" could be considered serious but I've learned through life that a request given with a smile and respect goes a long way. I suspect people who do have issues with a cruise and come back stating no one did anything about it are those who approach problem solvers with anger.

Someone on another post commented on this and I agree. Carnival boards, people have NO COMPASSION when someone runs into a problem for the most part. They are dismissive .. hey you could have done this or that, or whatever .. they flame the person with a complaint.

On the RCL boards, people will say, geez, Im so sorry this happened .. maybe you could do this. They seem to be a lot more understanding than Carnival boards which the cheerleaders just run amok. We could use some nicer people on Carnival boards I often think who can put themselves in others' shoes.

I guess that's what I mean, though. Um, Carnival can't control high winds. So that has nothing to do with Carnival. That's simply a disappointment. And if the screen on lido is too loud, go to a different pool. And I am always hot, so I'm happy to bundle up in a cold room.

Oh, and for the record, I've been on four Carnival cruises, three different ships. (We did a B2B on the Dream.) Maybe I forgive the little things because I'm having such an amazing time. But I'm not a picky eater, and I admire how hard the people work on those boats. I've seen jerks abuse the women at the purser's desk. There are some people who find a reason to complain about anything, anywhere. And they probably don't even know that they are those people... Well, I hope that I really am just easy to please, because I don't want to think that we'll start to experience disappointment after we've been on more cruises. I'm too optimistic to think like that...

Go to a different pool and leave your children alone unattended?

OP....from what I've noticed, particularly here on CC, every cruise line has their detractors. You go to RCCL. NCL, Princess, Celebrity, Disney, CCL, etc...someone is going to complain about something.

Bottom line, there are people who much prefer Carnival, just like there are people who prefer NCL, RCCL, etc.

I tend to not listen to most regarding the negative reports of one cruise line vs another. Sometimes, I just shake my head at what some find to complain about....regardless of ship, or cruise line.

If I have a less than stellar experience on any ship, or cruise line, I'll make brief mention of it here. But, after that, I let others make their own decisions.

I don't want, nor like to have anyone other than those I'm closest to try to influence my cruise choice (or my vacation choice, for that matter).

You never know what motivates some to complain. And, they'll rarely tell you the real reason they're complaining.

Just because all Carnival ships follow the same policies and recipes, doesnt mean they are exactly the same. I have cruised the same ship twice and have been disappointed in staff or taste of the meals being not what I experienced before. Not every cruise is perfect, but they are all wonderful regardless of some minor complaints.

Someone on another post commented on this and I agree. Carnival boards, people have NO COMPASSION when someone runs into a problem for the most part. They are dismissive .. hey you could have done this or that, or whatever .. they flame the person with a complaint.

On the RCL boards, people will say, geez, Im so sorry this happened .. maybe you could do this. They seem to be a lot more understanding than Carnival boards which the cheerleaders just run amok. We could use some nicer people on Carnival boards I often think who can put themselves in others' shoes.

I dunno, I've seen the exact same thing on the Royal board. You're right though, it's woe betide whoever says anything negative about the cheerleaders' pet cruise line. I don't get the idea of corporate loyalty, but maybe I'm the odd one. Looking at my list it appears that we're loyal to Carnival, but we're really just loyal to perceived value and haven't been able to justify Royal's higher fares to myself. Given a similar fare for a similar cabin and itinerary I'd try Royal in a heartbeat.

I have been on more than 30 Carnival cruises and more than 60 cruises all together. I have never had a bad cruise.

Fortunately my cabin stewards have all been really good and nice. I have had a couple of waiters that were not so good (Carnival, NCL, RCCL) and have always had my problem taken care of after talking with the maitre d. For the most port I think if you are friendly and have a smile with people that is how they treat you.

I never complain about the weather because that is something that none of us have any control over so I just look at that as an adventure. Hey I have been on land vacations were the weather didn't cooperate. Believe me I would much be on a cruise ship were it rained everyday than in a hotel room. At least there is plenty to do inside around the ship.

I am an easy going person and always look at the glass as half full. Maybe it is just me. I know there are people that just like to complain (I even know some people like this personally) and nothing will make them happy. But I never let that keep me from having a good time. Everyone is intitled to their opinion.

But I do believe a vacation is what you make it. If you go thinking you are going to find problems and not have a good time you will find problems and not have a good time. If you go thinking you are going to have a good time chances are you are going to have a good time.

I have been on more than 30 Carnival cruises and more than 60 cruises all together. I have never had a bad cruise.

Fortunately my cabin stewards have all been really good and nice. I have had a couple of waiters that were not so good (Carnival, NCL, RCCL) and have always had my problem taken care of after talking with the maitre d. For the most port I think if you are friendly and have a smile with people that is how they treat you.

I never complain about the weather because that is something that none of us have any control over so I just look at that as an adventure. Hey I have been on land vacations were the weather didn't cooperate. Believe me I would much be on a cruise ship were it rained everyday than in a hotel room. At least there is plenty to do inside around the ship.

I am an easy going person and always look at the glass as half full. Maybe it is just me. I know there are people that just like to complain (I even know some people like this personally) and nothing will make them happy. But I never let that keep me from having a good time. Everyone is intitled to their opinion.

But I do believe a vacation is what you make it. If you go thinking you are going to find problems and not have a good time you will find problems and not have a good time. If you go thinking you are going to have a good time chances are you are going to have a good time.

I totally agree !! A vacation IS what you make of it. I always say "My worst day on vacation is still better than my best day at work !":D

I guess I'm easy to please. I have been on one cruise, Carnival, and chose to stay with what we know when we booked our next one. The only problem we had was a drunk that was seriously crossing the line toward my daughter. The family circled the wagons around her and diffused the situation without so much as a raised voice. That was in no way Carnival's fault and could have happened anywhere.

I keep in mind the alternative, working all day to come home to REALLY bad service. I can't get a meal or drink without getting up to fix it myself! Friendly staff? Pffft! Not at my house! I would fire myself, but just haven't figured out how to do that.:rolleyes:

Archived