Port Everglades - How early can you arrive?

CoconutFish

I am sure this has been discussed, but I can't find it!

We will be flying into FLL airport early in the morning and need to know what the earliest time that we can take a taxi to the Port Everglades. Are the gates and terminals open early or is there a set time like 11 am before you should show up?

Thanks for any info!

We arrived at 10:30am.

General Information

Departure Day (Embarkation)

Cruise lines ask you to board at least two hours before the ship's scheduled departure. However, most cruise lines do not begin boarding passengers prior to noon. For your convenience and to avoid traffic, we strongly suggest you do not arrive at Port Everglades prior to 11 a.m.

Passengers arriving by private car, limousine or taxi will turn over their baggage to porters at each terminal for delivery to staterooms. Don't forget to fill out and attach the tag provided by the cruise line. Tipping is optional. Any medications, valuables or breakables should be personally carried on board. All carry-on luggage will be screened. There is no limit on the size of liquids or gels. Please check with your cruise line for their beverage policies. Most passenger terminals are equipped with escalators to facilitate access to/from the ship's gangway. When using these escalators, passengers should not be burdened by carry-on luggage to the point where their safety is compromised. Passengers with a great deal of carry-on luggage should use the nearby elevators.

I am sure this has been discussed, but I can't find it!

We will be flying into FLL airport early in the morning and need to know what the earliest time that we can take a taxi to the Port Everglades. Are the gates and terminals open early or is there a set time like 11 am before you should show up?

Thanks for any info!

You can definately get to the cruise terminals early, the gates to the port are always open but there is security at all times. Depending on your cruise line most of the terminals will start allowing passengers in between 10am and 11am. Most passengers are allowed to start boarding between 11:30 and noon but these times are subject to change if the ship arrived late or had issues clearing customs from the previous cruise.

If your flight arrives very early like after a red eye from the west coast you will be better off finding some place nearby to go for breakfast and wait until later in the morning to go to the port.

We have arrived as early as 9:00am due to an early arrival flight..We were able to hand in our luggage with no problem and were the first ones in line..first ones to check in and first ones onboard (we did have priority boarding C&A status)..Good luck and enjoy...

We arrived at about 10:45 and were given the ticket to boarding group 1. We didn't board the ship until around noon. So, we sat and waited. I just played on my iphone so I was plenty entertained while waiting. It's really a catch 22. Go early and sit and wait, although you are the first after VIPs. Or you can go later and wait behind a bunch of people to board the ship. IMHO if your going to be just sitting around the airport, just got to the terminal and wait there.

We have arrived as early as 9:00am due to an early arrival flight..We were able to hand in our luggage with no problem and were the first ones in line..first ones to check in and first ones onboard (we did have priority boarding C&A status)..Good luck and enjoy...

Hi Ashland -- This is news I was hoping for. We would like to to drop our checked bags at the terminal and then go drop off our rental car and return in a taxi or shuttle later.

We didn't know if this would work. We know in San Diego they don't take any bags until the arriving ship is empty and they begin letting passengers on the dock.

Last time we were driving down so we arrived a little before ten, dropped our checked luggage then dropped the car at Perk N. Go. Were back at the ship before 10:30 and were group #3 for boarding (this was on HAL), so we were not among the very first to check in even that early.

Actual boarding started exactly at 11:30.

We were just there a couple of weeks ago after a red-eye from LAX. We landed at 6:30 and by the time we got our luggage it was around 7:00. We just went back upstairs to the pre-security waiting area and got coffee and bagels and relaxed and read for a couple hours, then went downstairs around 9:30 and got a cab to the Port. We were sailing on Princess. We got to the port around 10:00 but could not drop our bags off right away. I think we waited about 20 minutes until they let us check our bags. After that, we just walked into Port Everglades shopping district to run errands, pick up wine, etc. We went back to the ship about 1:30 and there were virtually no lines to speak of. Another option would be to take a cab right away to somewhere like Starbucks or Panera where there is free wi-fi and lots of people hanging out, but then you have the hassle of lugging all your bags and having to pay for two cab fares.

We were just there a couple of weeks ago after a red-eye from LAX. We landed at 6:30 and by the time we got our luggage it was around 7:00. We just went back upstairs to the pre-security waiting area and got coffee and bagels and relaxed and read for a couple hours, then went downstairs around 9:30 and got a cab to the Port. We were sailing on Princess. We got to the port around 10:00 but could not drop our bags off right away. I think we waited about 20 minutes until they let us check our bags. After that, we just walked into Port Everglades shopping district to run errands, pick up wine, etc. We went back to the ship about 1:30 and there were virtually no lines to speak of. Another option would be to take a cab right away to somewhere like Starbucks or Panera where there is free wi-fi and lots of people hanging out, but then you have the hassle of lugging all your bags and having to pay for two cab fares.

Were you comfortable taking the red eye from LAX? I always worry about flight delays etc. so was thinking I should come in the day before.

Were you comfortable taking the red eye from LAX? I always worry about flight delays etc. so was thinking I should come in the day before.

We take the redeye LAX-FLL usually every Feb or March for our caribbean cruise...We have had the nonstop and have also done the connection in ATL with no problems arriving early morning of same day cruise..

Edited by Ashland

Normally I would love to come the day before, but with a ten night cruise we just couldn't take any additional time off work. And we live near Fresno, so we have to either drive or fly to LAX to get that red-eye, which really adds to the over all traveling time. I knew it was a bit of a risk, but we did have travel insurance (not just cruise insurance) and I had read that a lot of people do it. It's really whatever you feel comfortable with and how much time you have for your trip.

• 6 years later...
I am getting off Carnival ship in Fort Lauderdale on 12/2 and getting on ship in Tampa on 12/2!!! How do I do this?
Rent a car and drive. You'll want to do the self-disembarkation from the first cruise--when you're among the first passengers off the ship because you're willing to carry your luggage rather than having your large suitcases carried off for you and waiting for you as you get off the ship. It's around a 4-hour drive, so very doable. Fortunately one-way car rentals in Florida aren't too expensive.

You might want to repost your question as a new thread. A lot of folks won't see it appended to this 6-year-old thread.

I am getting off Carnival ship in Fort Lauderdale on 12/2 and getting on ship in Tampa on 12/2!!! How do I do this?

Welcome to the boards! :D

Avis, Hertz and Enterprise have offices close to the port of Tampa and will shuttle you; if you get a better deal dropping the car off at TPA an Uber to the port is about $20 or a taxi will run about $27.

Have two great cruises! :cool:

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Kerwin725 said:

We will be coming in on a red-eye before our Dec 23 departure on Holland.  I am wondering if there are any grocery stores within walking distance to Port Everglades? 

Thank you in advance ! 

Port Everglades is not set up for pedestrians except for terminal 2 (Princess) and terminal 4 (cruise line varies).  Uber/Lyft or a taxi would not be expensive.

The closest grocery store is about 1 mile from the north entrance to Port Everglades at the corner of Eisenhower Blvd and 17th Street - a Publix in the Harbor Shops shopping center.  There is a Walgreens drug store right on the corner of Eisenhower Blvd and 17th Street right before the north entrance to the port.  Both stores sell snacks, sodas, wine, beach accessories, etc.  Check out the Port Everglades map:  https://assets.simpleviewcms.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Everglades_Map_REVISED_November_30_2016_bae57d31-04c5-41d1-b193-a4bf242d9293.pdf

The Walgreens is in the white space south of 17th at Eisenhower; the Publix is in the white space south of the gas icon shown on 17th Street to the west.