An insult or just a new policy?

Orator

Just returned from a wonderful cruise. Here's a story that dampened the experience just a bit. Whe DW and I received our Seapass cards we were also given a tag that read: "VIP". As soon as my foot touched the deck and officer came over and welcomed us aboard. He directed us to a special door and said that we could relax in Michael's Club. Great so far. Really thought that we would receive some special treatment. Later I was informed that DW and I were the second highest point total on that cruise.Expected to be invited to one of the Captain's Tables, but I was wrong. Learned that during my cruise and the one before three couples who were first time Celebrity cruisers were invited. Their cabin was not a factor in the decision to invite them. I've been to the Captain's Table many times and it really is a "been there, done that thing" to me. Really more concerned with a possible change in policy that appears to want to hook new cruisers rather than recognizing loyalty. I recall an ad for a bank that seems to question that strategy.

I would think that ones loyalty to a cruise line in all the added perks, head of the line privileges, extra benefits, and invites to the nightly free cocktail hours would be enough without expecting to sit at the Captains Table?

Maybe the new people get more of a kick out of it and appreciate it more than the seasoned cruiser from the Penthouse Suite?

Personally I have no desire to sit at the Captains Table.

It reminds me of reading the RCI Boards sometimes when they discuss the overflow to the overflow rooms for all the D+ cruisers during recognition events, and how much fun it would be if it weren't for all the other loyalists clogging up he space. Too many loyalists expecting too much?

P.S. My first cruise ever with Celebrity I was upgraded from a regular balcony to a SkySuite. It was really nice. ;)

I would think that ones loyalty to a cruise line in all the added perks, head of the line privileges, extra benefits, and invites to the nightly free cocktail hours would be enough without expecting to sit at the Captains Table?

Maybe the new people get more of a kick out of it and appreciate it more than the seasoned cruiser from the Penthouse Suite?

Personally I have no desire to sit at the Captains Table.

It reminds me of reading the RCI Boards sometimes when they discuss the overflow to the overflow rooms for all the D+ cruisers during recognition events, and how much fun it would be if it weren't for all the other loyalists clogging up he space. Too many loyalists expecting too much?

P.S. My first cruise ever with Celebrity I was upgraded from a regular balcony to a SkySuite. It was really nice. ;)

I agree that I'm only entitled to what my Captain's Club status entitles me to receive. I really don't care one way or another about the Captain's Table. What I'm concerned about is a change in philosophy that places a higher value on the new cruiser than those who have shown continued loyalty. Remember the Ally Bank ad? This lack of concern about the loyal cruiser may make enhancements to the Captain's Club program more unlikely. Your "P.S." statement lends further support to my thesis.

I agree that I'm only entitled to what my Captain's Club status entitles me to receive. I really don't care one way or another about the Captain's Table. What I'm concerned about is a change in philosophy that places a higher value on the new cruiser than those who have shown continued loyalty. Remember the Ally Bank ad? This lack of concern about the loyal cruiser may make enhancements to the Captain's Club program more unlikely. Your "P.S." statement lends further support to my thesis.

I think you might be looking at this in too harsh of a light. AS a loyal cruiser, you do receive a lot of perks. But I am sure you would be the first to admit, very few of them are the reason you're a loyal cruiser. If they continue to provide you with a quality product, you'll probably continue to give them your business.

However, there's an old saying: you never get a second chance to make a first impression. Using some of the pluses as a surprise bonus to new cruisers might be just the thing that pushes them over the top. Then they'll be a loyal cruiser, just like you!:rolleyes:

My first cruise on Celebrity was 1999 on Celebrity Galaxy, so I doubt they have been the 'Ally Bank' of cruise lines for the last 15 years.

With all due respect you may be thinking this through to a determined 'philosophy' that sounds like more than an entitlement than a reward for loyalty?

Just returned from a wonderful cruise. Here's a story that dampened the experience just a bit. Whe DW and I received our Seapass cards we were also given a tag that read: "VIP". As soon as my foot touched the deck and officer came over and welcomed us aboard. He directed us to a special door and said that we could relax in Michael's Club. Great so far. Really thought that we would receive some special treatment. Later I was informed that DW and I were the second highest point total on that cruise.Expected to be invited to one of the Captain's Tables, but I was wrong. Learned that during my cruise and the one before three couples who were first time Celebrity cruisers were invited. Their cabin was not a factor in the decision to invite them. I've been to the Captain's Table many times and it really is a "been there, done that thing" to me. Really more concerned with a possible change in policy that appears to want to hook new cruisers rather than recognizing loyalty. I recall an ad for a bank that seems to question that strategy.

If you think about it from a good business sense it is smart business ! Travel Agents give more perks to new clients ,banks do and especially Drug Dealers give much better offers to first time users, so why shouldn't cruise lines? It does indeed stink but as Trump would say "that's the art of the deal" !!!

Not so sure that upgrade represents some new policy of slighting loyal cruisers. Just met a couple who received a similar upgrade, but the reason was this: a large family had tried to book several adjacent and adjoining rooms. One stateroom had already been reserved by this couple. On arriving at the pier they were told that they could have a free upgrade to a suite, which they jumped on. Once aboard they learned that it was offered in order to accommodate the family.

Inviting first-time passengers to the Captain's Table isn't a new policy for Celebrity. They have doing this for many years.

I remember one of our cruises...about 11 years ago, where we had been invited to the Captain's Table, and all the guests, BUT the two of us, were first-times cruisers with Celebrity. I remember thinking this was a great way for Celebrity to give these passengers a wonderful first-time experience with this cruiseline. It garners loyalty from the start.

My first cruise on Celebrity was 1999 on Celebrity Galaxy, so I doubt they have been the 'Ally Bank' of cruise lines for the last 15 years.

With all due respect you may be thinking this through to a determined 'philosophy' that sounds like more than an entitlement than a reward for loyalty?

Macruisefan is correct. I cruise Celebrity for the overall experience, not "perks."I've enjoyed seeing many crew promoted and they've shared much with me. I do receive some special attention due to my relationship with crew. Of course all should be treated equally but it is not uncommon in many businesses to treat your most loyal customers a bit differently.

There have been recent changes in Celebrity's operation and more are coming. New menu items will be introduced this week. Whole lobster will be returning to the MDR menu. There appears to be a "rethinking" of the product and that might very well center on a change in corporate philosophy. Until recent weeks the top three cruisers have been routinly invited to a table. Not all accept the invitaion. In the last two weeks only the top cruiser appears to invited. Believe me or not, my personal concern is not entitlements.

Macruisefan is correct. I cruise Celebrity for the overall experience, not "perks."I've enjoyed seeing many crew promoted and they've shared much with me. I do receive some special attention due to my relationship with crew. Of course all should be treated equally but it is not uncommon in many businesses to treat your most loyal customers a bit differently.

There have been recent changes in Celebrity's operation and more are coming. New menu items will be introduced this week. Whole lobster will be returning to the MDR menu. There appears to be a "rethinking" of the product and that might very well center on a change in corporate philosophy. Until recent weeks the top three cruisers have been routinly invited to a table. Not all accept the invitaion. In the last two weeks only the top cruiser appears to invited. Believe me or not, my personal concern is not entitlements.

What is your personal concern?

Maris

It seems like another Celebrity promotion trick.

Celebrity insults are found in many areas.

We've had our share.

We get more satisfaction from Princess.

Perhaps you'll give them a try?

Maris

No thank you, been there, done that got the T shirt.Celebrity is our cruise line of choice.:D

What is your personal concern?

Maris

Great question Maris! My concern is that any downgrade in the value of brand "loyalty" will adversly affect the Captain's Club program. There have been countless threads on the Captain's Club program and the desire of some to make the levels match their sister company. Don't see this happening if loyalty becomes a secondary concern. I appreciate that Celebrity is trying to expand it's cruiser base. They need to do that to stay in business, but I've been involved in enough discussions to realize that asone might say: "You don't rob Peter topay Paul".

This might be a smart move on their part. With the number of cruises that are on the Tuesday sale list, it seems as though they need "new" customers. Hopefully by inviting new customers to the Captain's table, those people will go back and tell their friends how great the cruise was and Celebrity might get some more "new" customers.

This might be a smart move on their part. With the number of cruises that are on the Tuesday sale list, it seems as though they need "new" customers. Hopefully by inviting new customers to the Captain's table, those people will go back and tell their friends how great the cruise was and Celebrity might get some more "new" customers.

It very well could be goodbusiness. When 6 of 8 guests at a table are new cruisers, you have in effect a "New Cruiser Table". Perhaps that could be formalized and a special new cruiser table could be created for each cruise. Of course some might very well complain that they they are new, but not invited. This really doesn't need to be an "either, or" type thing. By the way, I was at a table when the first timers were in their mid eighties. Don't know how many times they will repeat. Hopefully they will for many years.

I doubt it is Celebrity's "policy" to invite first time cruisers nor that this is some sort of promotional idea to attract guests - there just aren't enough opportunities for this to be promoted as an incentive to cruise a particular cruise line.

I suspect that there are various selection criteria they use including both loyalty, high level suites, and social impressions amoung other things, as well as random chance, and that all but the loyalty factor are as likely to cause a first timer to be selected as someone who has a ton of prior cruises.

The bottom line is that there is only a handful of Captain Table opportunities amount the 2,000 to 2,800 guests on board so not many will ever receive this opportunity. Therefore I'd never feel slighted in the least if I wasn't invited.

And of course there is my favorite reason:

blondie-table.gif

Really thought that we would receive some special treatment. Later I was informed that DW and I were the second highest point total on that cruise.Expected to be invited to one of the Captain's Tables, but I was wrong.

I'm sure you were recognized in other ways...in fact when you boarded you got a special greeting. There are always lots of folks on cruises who think they should get "special treatment" for a variety of reasons....and each defines the special treatment they feel they should get differently.

You obviously enjoy Celebrity cruises.....enjoy them for what they are and if you get some recognition along the way, enjoy it. Don't "expect"...just be pleased if something nice happens.

I'm sure you were recognized in other ways...in fact when you boarded you got a special greeting. There are always lots of folks on cruises who think they should get "special treatment" for a variety of reasons....and each defines the special treatment they feel they should get differently.

You obviously enjoy Celebrity cruises.....enjoy them for what they are and if you get some recognition along the way, enjoy it. Don't "expect"...just be pleased if something nice happens.

Let me say this one final time: It's not about me! I receive more "unofficial" perks than I deserve. These are provided by staff who have cruised with me many times, not the corporation. My focus is what appears to me to be a reduced corporate emphasis on loyalty and the value placed in repeat customers and how that might affect future loyalty benefits. The "Captain's Table" is only symbolic to me.

A person's first cruise is usually very special and a great memory, especially if they get upgraded to a suite or even a balcony from a lower category cabin. If they get invited to the Captain's table on top of that, imagine how they feel about their cruise. What I'm thinking, is how does their second cruise compare? No Captain's table, no upgrade............Celebrity could be raising peoples' expectations and reaping bad reviews (on the second cruise) because of their "new cruiser" policies. As others have said, we cruise Celebrity because we like their way of doing things and their perks for Elite. And if we got another invitation to the Captain's table, yes we would accept it. We thought it was quite special.

Let me say this one final time: It's not about me! I receive more "unofficial" perks than I deserve. These are provided by staff who have cruised with me many times, not the corporation. My focus is what appears to me to be a reduced corporate emphasis on loyalty and the value placed in repeat customers and how that might affect future loyalty benefits. The "Captain's Table" is only symbolic to me.

I am just recently off a b2b on Summit. The first cruise, I was #2 cruiser and was invited by request of the Captain, who I have known for some time. The cc hostess seemed somewhat put out since her comment was that it was her job to make the table recommendations to the captain. Second cruise, # 1 cruiser this time, different cpt. and no cpt. table or hotel director invitation.

I was told recently on the Millie by 2 couples who have way more than 100 cruise credits, that they no longer expect to be invited. If it is indeed a policy change, it seems quite sad to me. It is a nice recognition and I, for one, will miss it.

Anne

I am just recently off a b2b on Summit. The first cruise, I was #2 cruiser and was invited by request of the Captain, who I have known for some time. The cc hostess seemed somewhat put out since her comment was that it was her job to make the table recommendations to the captain. Second cruise, # 1 cruiser this time, different cpt. and no cpt. table or hotel director invitation.

I was told recently on the Millie by 2 couples who have way more than 100 cruise credits, that they no longer expect to be invited. If it is indeed a policy change, it seems quite sad to me. It is a nice recognition and I, for one, will miss it.

Anne

I also learned from a 175+ cruise point cruiser that a frequent cruiser with more than 120 points was denied access to Michael's Club following boarding because they weren't a VIP or B2B guest. Bet we have the same source. I know he's quite upset about what appears to be a change in direction.

I certainly understand the OP's pain ... "loyalty" seems to be falling to the wayside in pursuit of the all-mighty $$.

On the other hand, we have been the recipient of unexpected surprises that made our travels much more enjoyable and exciting!!

Just a matter of striking the right balance ... ;)

Archived