Working out while on a Cruise

The gyms on Royal Caribbean are very well-equipped for the most part and there really isn't any excuse that I can come up with for my not using the fitness facilities while sailing. On some trips, I've found the gym to be full with people of all ages at 6am who seem have the same early schedule at home. I've come to learn through this experience that there are great numbers of folks who have put fitness first whle at home and away.

I'm usually an early riser both at home and on vacation. I'm the only one jogging between 5-6 am and do some 5 miles every day. It is me and the cleaning people on deck. Sometimes I'm tired, but I push myself. I also take stairs any chance I can. On our recent AOS cruise, whenever I jogged by the Solarium, there was an aroma of chinese cooking, and it made me hungry. LOL

On our last cruises, I didn't go to the gym, but I did do 20 minutes of exercises each morning when I first got up. I work out at home at least 5 mornings a week. We just spent 19 days on 3 different ships, and I definitely did the exercising each morning, and take the steps. It was the last 3 days, I took off and didn't exercise. While on the Grand Princess, they had a zumba class at 9:00AM each sea day by the pool. I watched, but didn't participate. I was on vacation and decided to soak up the sun. Yes, I felt a little guilty, but I do exercise at home, so decided it was ok. I always take work out clothes, and usually I go to the exercise stretch class in the mornings on sea days, and try to work out a little with the weights. This trip I used my water bottles as my weights! Between all the steps, and all the walking on the beach, I did ok. I gained 3 lbs while away, but I am a dessertoholic, so I think I did an excellent job. I just go back to my diet and exercise routine once I get back home.

We usually hit the gym 5 out of a 7 days. On Freedom earlier this month, I had to skip out as I smashed a foot pretty bad a few weeks before the cruise. DW worked out for both of us ;):o. AS far as the stairs go....I use them quite a bit except when I'm with DW. She has a hip problem that causes her quite a bit of pain going up stairs (she's one of those people that rides an elevator up one floor).:)

For every cruise I have been on I have prepared basically the same way. Hit the treadmill, a little weights, and lose about 15 pounds during the 3 months prior to the cruise. Every time I have gotten on a ship I have had the grandest intentions to not let the food and alcohol take me down. I always say I am going to go to the gym every morning...but I never do :rolleyes: I have NEVER set foot in any of the gym. So just wondering...

Anybody here actually stuck with it and worked out while at sea? If so, wanna be my trainer?:D

I do the same thing!! However on my last cruise (Jan) I vowed I would work out, and I actually did!!:)

At home I am in the gym 5 to 7 days per week so I try to keep the routine while on vacation. I lost 80lbs in 2004 and have kept off all but 10 of it so it is important to me to keep exercising. Since I'm not an early morning person (especially on vacation!) my favorite time to work out is about 3pm and usually the gym is not too crowded. Plus, we keep active by taking the stairs and walking a lot in port.

Sherri:)

I've never used the gym on the ship, but have always enjoyed really early morning walks on the jogging track- and often do the same thing after dinner, if it's not too chilly. I also always take stairs and do active shore excursions (as well as some more physical activities onboard), along with not going too crazy food-wise. I've actually never gained weight on a cruise.

That said, I've recently taken up running (just about done with the Couch to 5k program, and after that plan to train for a half marathon in November), so I'm really excited to be able to run most mornings on that same track. I definitely think morning is the way to go though- working out after a drink or two makes me feel gross! I'm also excited to do a yoga class or two on board. I usually want to be more active on vacation than I am at home.

For every cruise I have been on I have prepared basically the same way. Hit the treadmill, a little weights, and lose about 15 pounds during the 3 months prior to the cruise. Every time I have gotten on a ship I have had the grandest intentions to not let the food and alcohol take me down. I always say I am going to go to the gym every morning...but I never do :rolleyes: I have NEVER set foot in any of the gym. So just wondering...

Anybody here actually stuck with it and worked out while at sea? If so, wanna be my trainer?:D

Absolutely, just did it 6 out of 8 days on our latest cruise (2/14-22). It just comes down to how badly you want to do it. I never have a problem getting to the gym on a cruise. I also pretty much keep to my healthy eating routine as well even while on a cruise. Of course there are some allowances like the Chocolate Melting Cake on Carnival....OMG.

I am a runner, on our cruise last year, I never set foot in the gym on board. We did however NEVER take an elevator. Besides maybe formal night but even then I took off my shoes and used the stairs! I hate waiting for the elevator!!! This year because I have a big race coming up I am going to attempt to run! I run in the afternoon between 1-3 that's just a good time for me! I am not a morning person and then if I workout any later I won't sleep or fall asleep fast! I am hoping my sea sickness won't get the best of me..lots of bonine and ginger for this girl!

I usually work out every day during a cruise. It's the only way I can justify the massive food intake ;)

Yep! That's basically how I feel. Even if the workout center is full, I at least run a couple flights of steps and then do a few loops outside on the run/walk track. If I don't get my blood flowing some how, I feel bad about it all day.

Happy cruising!:)

I do kung fu 3-4 times a week at home, so while on vacation, I have to stay in shape or I am junk when I come back to my instructor. On port days where there is a big walking tour, I let that be my exercise. On port days with minimal walking, I will do the jogging track or the gym before dinner. On seas days, gym first thing in the morning.

Allows me to enjoy a couple extra specialty restaurants and alcoholic drinks! ;)

I always make a point to check out the fitness area at the beginning of each cruise and so far that has been the only visit I have made!

However this May I will be embarking on the longest cruise I have ever done, 15 days, and being as I am already overweight and love food I know that this time I must actually use the facilities.

OK notladjr (since we are on same long cruise). Want to make a support pact? I'm in same boat on the weight but pretty dedicated to my workout time - ask Sveagirl when we get there. Set a time (not too early :eek:) and we can get in some machine time. At least on sea days. I normally to my 30 min. treadmill time in evening but on cruise that will never happen so it has to be before breakfast. Nice thing about fitness center is I can try to mix in some other machines like stationary bike or stair stepper.

I do have to say I have never really gained on a cruise and last TA lost 4 lbs. Mostly due to pushing Sveagirl's wheelchair.

I work out at least 5-6 days a week at home. I always go on vacation with good intentions, bringing workout clothes, but it has yet to happen. At home, I typically work out at night, with the exception of Saturday and Sunday morning. I'm not a morning person either. I'll bring my workout clothes again....but we'll see.

If they had Zumba at sea, that may be another story. I do get up early for that at home.

I am a gym rat at home, and doesn't stop just because I am cruising or a land vacation. I hit the gym on the cruise ship by 6 am every morning. If on a land vacation and no gym available, I get out early in the morning and walk. Might not work out 1 day of a vacation, but that is it.

Combine the party of cruising with the workout. Just do planks and body shots simultaneously.

What happens on the cruise, stays on You Tube------forever.:D

I always take the stairs, and we usually book WAY low. Yeah, I've climbed up 9 flights of stairs to get to the buffet, haha. Doesn't bother me.

I ran on the treadmill 3 of the 7 days of our Freedom Cruise. Just maybe 2-3 miles, nothing major. Really interesting to run and see the ocean and feel the boat move when you're on a treadmill going at an 8:00 min/mile pace.

I think I tried a few weight machines too, but I'm primarily a runner anyway. We did so much walking on the islands too, between all of that and the rock wall, I think I gained maybe 2 pounds. I lost them within a week or so of getting off the boat.

This is an interesting thread. I have lost a large amount of weight in the last two years and still have a pretty good chunk left to go, but despite my success, I have never learned to LOVE to move! I would really like to be able to say I worked out even on my cruise, so based on the responses in this thread, I am going to start working on some realistic goals that I'd like to achieve while onboard. For example, taking the stairs everywhere, walking the track at least a couple of miles several times during the cruise, and hitting a few fitness classes. I'm not really a treadmill or eliptical person so hopefully the activities I'm planning (plus all the swimming, walking in ports, and dancing in the clubs) will help keep me on track! :D Can't wait to find out!

(And if by chance I don't manage to do all that I wanted to do, activity-wise, I will vow to get right back on track when I get home and NOT beat myself up about it!! Most important!)

I have never used the gym while onboard, but I always take the stairs and never use the elevator. This alone provides alot of exercise. I also walk the track around the pool each day and normally walk deck 4 around the ship several times a day as well. If you sail on a large ship then you shouldn't have any problem getting your walking in. Good luck!

Archived