McDonalds on board

I wouldn't mind snacking on their fries, but for burgers I'd vote for In & Out! As a resident of FL that would be really nice since we don't have any out our way

I have heard so much about In & Out, I would love one here in Florida!

Yes, I have eaten at McDs recently, in a pinch, and yes, I grocery shop at WalMart, saving two to three hundred a month by doing so!

But NO, not on the ship!

Heck no! In our opinion, the Main Dining Room was disgusting, and the Windjammer was even more disgusting. Johnny Rockets was, sadly, the best of the food on-board our Liberty cruise...we both agreed upon that, and we're not big burger eaters on dry land.

While the food in general will keep us from (most likely) ever traveling on Royal again, JR was one of the only bright points on the whole vacation, food wise.

That's what you get for not expanding your food selection beyond hamburgers and french fries on a cruise ship.

Pretty interesting. And the reason I can see it happening is when I was on the Allure in the boardwalk area, I could see them putting in a food court like a mall, that had a MCD's, subway, PF CHangs etc etc.

From a marketing side and with a increasing # of rooms to fill on a expanding fleet, the lines may need something to attract "those that eat at McD's" et al.

MCD's 2010 sales were 24 billion (yes billion) so someone is eating there. And would it not be a kudos to McD or another chain to be the 1st one at sea.

As a side note, Ethiopias gross nat income was 80 billion. MCD is not too far behind

And would it not be a kudos to McD or another chain to be the 1st one at sea.

What are you talking about - the 1st one?:confused:

Without having to think too much I can name two chains at sea already with Jonny Rockets and Starbucks.

BigFig, as someone who is currently living in Ethiopia it is not hard to see why their nat income is only 80 billion. Their currency is currently 17 bir/ $1 and with only 4-5 actual cities and Addis Ababa (the capital being by far the closest thing to a city). However the economy is steadily growing at 15-20% a year, which is greatly significant. I will add that there are no McDonald's in Ethiopia. Though "hamburgers" (more like meat loaf sandwiches) are very popular here.

You must also consider that MCDs is a global organization and so their sales are not just in America, they are increasingly popular in countries where they have their specialized cafe which "tries" to focus more on the local culture.

Amzgirl: as for in and out burger, my husband who tried it in Vegas, claims that it is equal to a 5 guys (which we do have in Florida). He says it is better in some ways and not so better in some way but generally they equal out.

Ryano: If someone is claiming that the only food they liked on a ship was Johnny Rockets, I actually doubt it is due to the fact they want "higher quality" food. I am thinking it is more they are just not used to eating that type of food in general and feel more comfortable with something they know from home.

BigFig,

Ryano: If someone is claiming that the only food they liked on a ship was Johnny Rockets, I actually doubt it is due to the fact they want "higher quality" food. I am thinking it is more they are just not used to eating that type of food in general and feel more comfortable with something they know from home.

Agree, but what is the point of travelling and seeing the world, involving yourself in different cultures, trying different foods etc if all you want to eat is something from home. I love the fact that in the MDR you can indeed sample food from around the world. Believe it or not some of us do not want big food chains, with all the franchised eateries on board and stick with the windjammer, portafinos, chops, MDR etc, they cover most bases If these are not enough then go on a beach holiday at an al inclusive hotel.

Agree, but what is the point of travelling and seeing the world, involving yourself in different cultures, trying different foods etc if all you want to eat is something from home. I love the fact that in the MDR you can indeed sample food from around the world. Believe it or not some of us do not want big food chains, with all the franchised eateries on board and stick with the windjammer, portafinos, chops, MDR etc, they cover most bases If these are not enough then go on a beach holiday at an al inclusive hotel.

Trout I completely agree with you sir. For many who it might be their first time cruising and they grew up in a "culture" that only ate "American" and fast food options, it might be an eye opener to head to the MDR and see risotto on the menu haha. Unfortunately there are a lot of closed minds and palettes in this world.

IMHO - McDonald's is kept in business by people with lower incomes and parents that are too lazy to cook for their kids. The only people I know that voluntarily eat there are doing it to save money or because their kid whined about wanting a toy from the happy meal.

This is a PERFECT example as to why people should take the information they gather from this forum with a grain of salt. I am not "lower income," I love to cook for my family, I love a number 1 with no onions, and my youngest is 14 and hasn't "whined" for a happy meal for about 7 years.

Wouldn't want any of those chain burger places on a cruise. Never eat at them at home. Although I really did enjoy In and Out Burger when I was out west.

Now if they put in a Dunkin Donuts (Just for the coffee) I would be very happy. That is one thing from home I miss a lot when I am on a cruise.

McDonald's? Isn't that the place Ohioans take their pre-schoolers to in the winter for the playland? It's not winter in the Caribbean, so even us Ohioans with little kids (not me anymore!) don't see that as a big draw.

I could be intrigued about Dunkin Donuts though...

This is a PERFECT example as to why people should take the information they gather from this forum with a grain of salt. I am not "lower income," I love to cook for my family, I love a number 1 with no onions, and my youngest is 14 and hasn't "whined" for a happy meal for about 7 years.

I do not believe this particular thread is concerned with imparting information on cruising or indeed any existing dining experiences, I thought it started as a general discussion on having a McD on ships which has now expanded to include many 'fast food chains.'

McDonald's? Isn't that the place Ohioans take their pre-schoolers to in the winter for the playland? It's not winter in the Caribbean, so even us Ohioans with little kids (not me anymore!) don't see that as a big draw.

I could be intrigued about Dunkin Donuts though...

*LOL*

My kids loved McDonalds Land and Chuck E. Cheeses for the games and rides but would never eat the food there . Chuck E Cheeses Pizza is even more disgusting than McDonalds food . :(

Yeah DDs coffee has been my new drug of choice for a long time.

*LOL*

My kids loved McDonalds Land and Chuck E. Cheeses for the games and rides but would never eat the food there . Chuck E Cheeses Pizza is even more disgusting than McDonalds food . :(

Yeah DDs coffee has been my new drug of choice for a long time.

......at least Chuck E. Cheese serves Beer.:D

A latte is actually not empty calories when ordered with skim milk. At 90 calories for a tall it has 9g of protein, 0 fat, and 14 carbs. It also qualifies as a protein serving by the ADA. Now show me something offered like that McDonalds.

As for your numbers... well those just aren't correct. A Venti Latte made with whole milk is only 290 calories and has 15g of fat (9g saturated). It also has 16g of protein. What the heck are you buying?

That double cheeseburger you mentioned is actually 440 calories and has 23g of fat (11 saturated and 1.5 trans). Lets also not forget the 1150g of sodium in it!!! It's not even close to healthy when compared to your own example and even further away when compared to a healthy option actually available at Starbucks.

I don't go to McDonalds for anything other than coffee and I don't let my kids eat there either.

Wow someone loves their starbucks.

How much of a sharehold do you have with starbucks? geez.

You could feel the anger in this post when someone said a double cheeseburger is as bad as a latte from starbucks.

Actually, after seeing only steam table hamburgers for a couple of weeks, I once found a Burger King in port and bought a "real" hamburger. So, I could see myself using a McD's on board. Guess I have no taste. Just got home from Las Vegas and have to admit that we "dined" there also.

I agree with you CptSticky....we just got back off of a cruise and ate at Johnny Rockets 3 times to get real burgers and fries! The ones in the WJ were just not good! As soon as we got off the boat we went to McDonalds and then was craving KFC for some real Fried Chicken which was non existent on board! Guess I am in the minority, but I would eat there!

Cindy

Wow someone loves their starbucks.

How much of a sharehold do you have with starbucks? geez.

You could feel the anger in this post when someone said a double cheeseburger is as bad as a latte from starbucks.

I've been holding my tongue in regards to sherilyns posts. Her photo depicts a larger sized woman, and you don't get to be that size watching calories. She's obviously feeling guilty about her own past food indiscretions and is taking it out on others.

First of all I don't see the difference between Johnny Rockets and McDonalds. We ate at JR on our last cruise and it was like being served one large bucket of grease.

And of course everybody on Cruise Critic lives in Utopia -- they would never eat at a McDonalds; they would never shop at a Walmart.

Well somebody must eat there, I would think. McDonalds has been the fastest growing and expanding restaurant chain since the economic crisis started in 2008.

And if nobody would be caught dead shopping at Walmart, how did it get to be the largest and most profitable store not only in the United States, but in the whole world?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

If you are speaking of McD expanding in the U.S., there are many more areas outside of the U.S. that their expansion is much greater.

As far as McD on a cruise ship, I don't believe it would be a draw, given there are many more free choices, that are much better, and more available from any cruise line I've ever been on.

Maybe those outside of the U.S. might consider McD desireable. But, most from the U.S. would not consider it a viable option on a cruise ship.

I do shop at Walmart on occasion for cheap yard supplies. They're really good for that.

I can't make your connection between a cruise and Walmart, however.

Archived