McDonalds on board

Our rule of thumb is, don't eat at places on vacation that you can eat at back home. And as far as a cruise ship, really??? Like I need to waste calories on that dreck???? I would much rather use the calories on decent food and good desserts (I know some aren't great but some are).

Erika

I completely agree with you here! When we are out of town, we research the heck of places where locals love to dine. It makes us aware that there are plenty of awesome restaurant choices and not think that the only places are chains. There are many vacationers though, that don't share our thought process and they will seek those chains but that's their right since it is their vacation!

On a funny note, someone told that when they were on the Monarch, Paula Deen was on the ship and he overheard one of her fans complaining that the ship's food was terrible and couldn't wait to get off the ship so she can go to a Cracker Barrel.

To anyone who loves Cracker Barrel, I'm not knocking it! I LOVE their Momma's French Toast! :D

Just for fun.

With the cruise lines starting to go for the pay restaurants like Johnny Rockets, Starbucks, etc., do you think a McDonalds on board (especially Allure/Oasis class) would go over well and would you "dine" there?

I would not, but... I could see it a draw for families with younger kids with the marketing benefit for the kids being cruising+McDonalds = fun.

I hope not!

Five Guys would be nice JR is ok. McDonalds would make a lot of kids happy, but they're not the ones paying for the cruise. I remember 18+ years ago when United Airlines offered Happy Meals on their flights if you requested them in advance. They never came with fries though. My son looked forward to those flights (:

I don't mind McDonalds occasionally. I would say at most I eat McDonalds once a month, if that and it's for lunch. Sometimes I just crave a little greasy burger :D I think children would be attracted to McDonalds on any ship, especially if it had the playground. Most children want McDonalds because they get a toy in their happy meal and it has a playground. I know that's why I enjoyed it growing up. My sister and I would always beg our parents to take us there. Do I see a McDonalds on a ship anytime soon? No. Kids are happy with the burgers, hot dogs and fries that are offered because to them it's still what they want. Add ice cream and pizza and the kids are beyond excited.

I'll admit it. I shop at Walmart for certain items (but not their meat...eww). It's much cheaper than going to the local store where I live (population 2000). A box of cereal at our local store is $5, at Walmart it's $2.50.

Cracker Barrel... mmm. I agree the Momma's French Toast is amazing! It's the best french toast I've ever had. I also love their burgers. I think they have one of the best burgers.

So far Carnival only has one ship with the 2.0 upgrades which includes Guy's Burgers. They are updating a few more ships later this year but not all ships that are being updated are getting the food options :( A lot of the ships are just getting additional bars.

I would like to see a ship with authentic Mexican dishes. Some of the 2.0 upgrades include a Blue Iguana Cantina which is basically a taco bar with tons of options. Our last Carnival cruise had a "Burrito Bar" that was supposed to be similar to Chipotle (which I love), but it was the worst food I've eaten. The meat wasn't edible, the rice was dry, flavorless and yellow and they used cheap ingredients. It was really bad.

I vote to get rid of Johnny Rockets (even though we do enjoy the entrainment), Ben and Jerry’s and Starbucks. No more chain fast food joints. I’m sure RCI could come up with something more Cruise orientated and at no charge.

What's the difference between Starbucks and McDonalds? Just because it's more "acceptable"? It's a chain as prevalent as McDonalds.

A venti whole milk has 380 calories and 24 grams of fat

A double cheeseburger has 400 calories and 23 grams of fat

Empty calories either way and indulged in my thousands everyday.

wow..... what a thought.

I do eat at McDonalds sometimes (and I love shopping at WalMart)

I don't think I'd want to see or smell it on a cruise though.

I know I would not eat McDonalds on a cruise.

Have to say, yes I do eat at micky d's occasionally, it is not a steady diet, and I don't have little kids anymore either. I also shop at Walmart....often

.....somebody will probably tell me that if I do things like that I am not classy enough for a cruise vacation...oh well can't be perfect....a cruise is a treat for me, once in 7 years usually, can't afford two or three a year like some, so yes I do think the main dining room is amazing......and yes I am heavier than I should be, but it is not because I eat at micky d's.....lol

With so many people proclaiaming that they do not eat McDonald's.....it is a wonder they are still in business.

Up the quality in the MRD and there is far less carving for other food sources.

McDonalds and Wallmart have been great stocks to own and most people that post here if they're invested in mutual funds probably own one of the two if not other restaurant stocks and might not even know it!

What's the difference between Starbucks and McDonalds? Just because it's more "acceptable"? It's a chain as prevalent as McDonalds.

A venti whole milk has 380 calories and 24 grams of fat

A double cheeseburger has 400 calories and 23 grams of fat

Empty calories either way and indulged in my thousands everyday.

A latte is actually not empty calories when ordered with skim milk. At 90 calories for a tall it has 9g of protein, 0 fat, and 14 carbs. It also qualifies as a protein serving by the ADA. Now show me something offered like that McDonalds.

As for your numbers... well those just aren't correct. A Venti Latte made with whole milk is only 290 calories and has 15g of fat (9g saturated). It also has 16g of protein. What the heck are you buying?

That double cheeseburger you mentioned is actually 440 calories and has 23g of fat (11 saturated and 1.5 trans). Lets also not forget the 1150g of sodium in it!!! It's not even close to healthy when compared to your own example and even further away when compared to a healthy option actually available at Starbucks.

I don't go to McDonalds for anything other than coffee and I don't let my kids eat there either.

With so many people proclaiaming that they do not eat McDonald's.....it is a wonder they are still in business.

IMHO - McDonald's is kept in business by people with lower incomes and parents that are too lazy to cook for their kids. The only people I know that voluntarily eat there are doing it to save money or because their kid whined about wanting a toy from the happy meal.

Up the quality in the MRD and there is far less carving for other food sources.

Yup, a couple dozen folks on this forum is the perfect sample size to make someone wonder that.

I vote to get rid of Johnny Rockets (even though we do enjoy the entrainment), Ben and Jerry’s and Starbucks. No more chain fast food joints. I’m sure RCI could come up with something more Cruise orientated and at no charge.

Heck no! In our opinion, the Main Dining Room was disgusting, and the Windjammer was even more disgusting. Johnny Rockets was, sadly, the best of the food on-board our Liberty cruise...we both agreed upon that, and we're not big burger eaters on dry land.

While the food in general will keep us from (most likely) ever traveling on Royal again, JR was one of the only bright points on the whole vacation, food wise.

Heck no! In our opinion, the Main Dining Room was disgusting, and the Windjammer was even more disgusting. Johnny Rockets was, sadly, the best of the food on-board our Liberty cruise...we both agreed upon that, and we're not big burger eaters on dry land.

While the food in general will keep us from (most likely) ever traveling on Royal again, JR was one of the only bright points on the whole vacation, food wise.

Sadly is an understatement.

It doesnt sound like you are going to have much luck finding what you are looking for on any mass market cruise line. Either your expectations were way too high going in or you are evidently too hard to please if a fast food burger and fries is the only thing you found decent to eat on that whole ship.

While I know its not fine dining or even close, I think "disgusting" is being a little harsh but obviously Im not that hard to please when it comes to food.

A luxury line might be best for you and yours :) Good luck in your search!

Archived