One cruise on Allure or TWO on Carnival's newest ship?

Ive been inspired by this thread (and QTMichele loved your reviews) I am going to try and do a B2B on allure!

For the OP at 1st I would said do the B2B and experience the allure at a later date.

For me I had said I wanted to go on Allure for Oct of 2014, But on further review why not try and make that a B2B and catch both the eastern and western legs.

We're fairly close to Diamond + but I'm having 2nd. thoughts about the advantages. Sailing in 42 days on the Oasis & hear that the diamond lounge doesn't offer much other than "attractive looking" Was your escalation to Diamond + MUCH better than Diamond?

On the Oasis class the concierge lounge is much nicer than the Diamond lounge. Breakfast and lunch are served and one of the concierges seems to be available all the time. The Diamond happy hour was more fun (it was in Blaze) and we could sit at the bar. In the CLounge we were served our drinks and there weren't too many people there. We are late seating people so we usually go about 7:30 - that could be a factor in the number of people in the lounge.

If you go to the Chef's Table dinner it will be held in the CLounge and you can get an idea of the difference between the two lounges.

All I was comparing was a burger specific restaurant and a mexican specific restaurant. On RCCL, there is a charge to eat at Johnnie Rockets and Ritas Cantina. On CCL, it is free to eat at Guy's Burger Joint and the BlueIguana Cantina.

So what you are doing is taking 2 new offerings by CCL, chearleading them, and making it sound like RCI has nothing of the sort? Really? And you are doing it with 2 of the world's worst food items? Well, go right ahead. If fat filled burgers and burritos are your taste, CCL is the perfect cruise line for you. However, if something just a tad more on the healthy side fits people's likings, they will likely find some of RCI's free offerings better.

There are no issues with leaving the Oasis or Allure in port. First they do not tender at all. Second they have gangways open at both the front and aft area of the ship. It moves quickly.

Yay. Good to hear.

Don't worry about getting on and off....especially getting off. The Oasis class doesn't tender (could you imagine 6000+ tendering??? :eek:) which obviously leaves a few great ports out of their itineraries (I love Grand Cayman) We did have a little line in Nassau, but it was the security check in area, not the actual ship. And even that was not bad at all. We didn't need to be off the ship right away at any port, but never a line getting off the ship. You are going to have a blast-it's truly a great ship to experience even just once. I know you had said that you're going with a group and in my opinion, you couldn't pick a better class of ship. We had a group of 50 on the Oasis from upper 60's down to a 1 year old-everyone loved it!! Have so much fun!!!!

Thank you. It does make me feel better about paying a higher price.

I haven't done much cruising (2 before this upcoming one) and have done far more land trips with the family. For my 40th birthday and my son's 16th we wanted to do something grand and since my children have never been cruising we decided on the Allure and purchased a suite for me and the DW and a connecting room for the kids. Because I did my homework and I knew how much more the Allure was and what we wanted to do on this trip me and the DW started planning in 2010 for a cruise that would be in 2013. When we started getting together how much it would cost (Family of 4 plus 2 of kids best friends) we were seriously and I mean seriously debating if we should go on another line like CCL.

However, when I started reading the reviews here and on other sites and doing more homework on the ship I knew I made the right decision and can't wait to til next year. As a matter of fact if there weren't other family and friends going with us I would've called the TA and pushed that date up and we would be going next week!!

I figure you only get so many opportunities in life so if you have the means and the opportunity to go on a ship like the Allure go ahead and do it because you can always do a CCL cruise.

I haven't done much cruising (2 before this upcoming one) and have done far more land trips with the family. For my 40th birthday and my sons 16th we wanted to do something grand and since my children have never been cruising we decided on the Allure. Because I did my homework and I knew how much more the Allure was and what we wanted to do on this trip me and the DW started planning in 2010 for a cruise that would be in 2013. When we started getting together how much it would cost (Family of 4 plus 2 of kids best friends) we were seriously debating if we should go on another line like CCL.

However, when I started reading the reviews here and on other sites and doing more homework on the ship I knew I made the right decision and can't wait to til next year. As a matter of fact if there weren't other family and friends going with us I would've called the TA and pushed that date up and we would be going next week!!

I figure you only get so many opportunities in life so if you have the means and the opportunity to go on a ship like the Allure go ahead and do it because you can always do a CCL cruise.

There are no issues with leaving the Oasis or Allure in port. First they do not tender at all. Second they have gangways open at both the front and aft area of the ship. It moves quickly.

Very smart calculated move by RCCL.....it would be a logistical nightmare trying to tender 6,000 people into a port. So that eliminates many off the beaten path ports for Oasis class ships to visit, but that's OK, because the ports are secondary when you're sailing on the best ships afloat that a mass market cruise line can offer.;)

So what you are doing is taking 2 new offerings by CCL, chearleading them, and making it sound like RCI has nothing of the sort? Really? And you are doing it with 2 of the world's worst food items? Well, go right ahead. If fat filled burgers and burritos are your taste, CCL is the perfect cruise line for you. However, if something just a tad more on the healthy side fits people's likings, they will likely find some of RCI's free offerings better.

I will concede that the Oasis and the Allure are in a class by themselves, after all, they are 90,000 tons bigger than Carnival. Now, in general, the Oasis class ships have more pay for upgrades food wise than Carnival does and it makes perfect economic sense. If people are willing to shell out more money for the privilege of sailing on one of the floating behemoths, then they will certainly be willing to shell out more money for up graded food.

My comparison was not about which cruise line has more healthy options and of course the majority of the various locations for food that is free on RCI are only available on Oasis class ships. I was comparing two specific things that are free on certain Carnival ships that cost more on RCCL.

Now, you mentioned that if people want something healthy, they will likely find some of RCI's offerings better. Answer me this question then....on my upcoming sailing on the Explorer, what are my cooked to order options at lunchtime? There are none.....I can either eat in the MDR on sea days, go to the Windjammer, which is buffet only, or I can go to Cafe Promenade and get an already made sandwich or a slice of pizza. At least I can get a chicken Caesar salad or a grilled turkey reuben made to order on Carnival.

SNJCruisers, if specifically having a made to order for lunch is that important, then you should stick to Carnival I guess?

I've gained at least 3-4 lbs on every cruise I've taken with RC so I would never say that they are lacking in food. Personally, we usually always skip lunch due to having breakfast and a big dinner. As I've stated before, we've sailed on Carnival 4 prior times, none of us didn't see anything more stellar about their food then anything I've ever had on RC. Some of our best meals were in Johnny Rockets (breakfast free) and Chops (extra). We've also had very good meals in the MDR (free). The best sandwich I've ever had was the roast beef in Central Park on the Oasis (yowza!). My choice of cruise lines would not be based on food for certain.

I hope you have a very good time on the Explorer. :) (even though right now I'm trying to figure out why you booked it? You don't seem excited about sailing on it unless I'm missing something because it all seems negative.)

Now, you mentioned that if people want something healthy, they will likely find some of RCI's offerings better. Answer me this question then....on my upcoming sailing on the Explorer, what are my cooked to order options at lunchtime? There are none.....I can either eat in the MDR on sea days, go to the Windjammer, which is buffet only, or I can go to Cafe Promenade and get an already made sandwich or a slice of pizza. At least I can get a chicken Caesar salad or a grilled turkey reuben made to order on Carnival.

The restaurants that have been a huge success on Oasis are starting to be put on other RCI ships. For example, Radiance and Splendour now have a Park Cafe, and Splendour also has a Boardwalk Dog House. And as I mentioned earlier, Majesty has a Compass Deli.

You chose to sail an RCI ship that doesn't have it. That was your decision, and for the thousandth time, you need to stop saying "Carnival," or "RCI." These offerings vary by ship, not by cruise line. I'm not sure why you don't get that. :confused:

Ive been inspired by this thread (and QTMichele loved your reviews) I am going to try and do a B2B on allure!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed. :)

I'd LOVE to do a B2B on Allure or Oasis one day... Better start saving my money.

Thought we were all set to book Allure...but I just priced out a cruise on Carnival's newest ship. It is HALF the price! (Same length, same amount of people, same type of balcony cabin.)

We could actually do two back to backs on Carnival for the same price of one week of Allure.

So those of you that have cruised both, tell me, why is Carnival so much cheaper??? Is the experience that much different?

one week on Allure most definitely. There is no comparison Allure is amazing.

The restaurants that have been a huge success on Oasis are starting to be put on other RCI ships. For example, Radiance and Splendour now have a Park Cafe, and Splendour also has a Boardwalk Dog House. And as I mentioned earlier, Majesty has a Compass Deli.

You chose to sail an RCI ship that doesn't have it. That was your decision, and for the thousandth time, you need to stop saying "Carnival," or "RCI." These offerings vary by ship, not by cruise line. I'm not sure why you don't get that. :confused:

Paul, you're wasting your breath on this person. They understand but just like typical Carnival fan, they have to justify their reasoning for cruising with Carnival. Maybe they should cancel their RCI cruise and head back to Carnivore. Sounds like Carnival is a better fit for them. A buffet to belly up to with all the free pizza and ice cream that they care to eat. That sounds really tasty. Makes me want to head to the Golden Corral for lunch. NOT!!!!!!! LOL..........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SNJCruisers, if specifically having a made to order for lunch is that important, then you should stick to Carnival I guess?

I've gained at least 3-4 lbs on every cruise I've taken with RC so I would never say that they are lacking in food. Personally, we usually always skip lunch due to having breakfast and a big dinner. As I've stated before, we've sailed on Carnival 4 prior times, none of us didn't see anything more stellar about their food then anything I've ever had on RC. Some of our best meals were in Johnny Rockets (breakfast free) and Chops (extra). We've also had very good meals in the MDR (free). The best sandwich I've ever had was the roast beef in Central Park on the Oasis (yowza!). My choice of cruise lines would not be based on food for certain.

I hope you have a very good time on the Explorer. :) (even though right now I'm trying to figure out why you booked it? You don't seem excited about sailing on it unless I'm missing something because it all seems negative.)

All of the items that people are raving about, including yoiurself are areas that are only avialble on Oasis class ships. There's a Johnnie Rockets on the Explorer, but you can only get the free breakfast there on the Oasis or the Allure. You mention liking Chops and the fabulous roast beef sandwich in Central Park...but once again, Oasis class only.

I will be taking a cruise on the Allure within 5 years just for the wow factor and to experience it at least once, and if the ports that it visits remain the same, my time off of the ship will be rather limited. But I am truly looking forward to it and I will try to book a Boardwalk balcony room as far aft as possible because it seems to me that those cabins are a good bang for the buck. That is why I enjoy Carnival so much, you get value for your cruise dollar. I don't care about ice rinks, rock climbing walls, zip lines, and flowriders. I do care about being able to spend some quality time with my significant other and chill with a beverage of my choice in a pool, or a hot tub or while watching a good R rated comedian.

The reason that I booked the Explorer cruise is because I am getting good value with paying only 800 dollars for a 10 day cruise after factoring in my 100 C&A certificate. I am disappointed that there are not many cooked to order options for lunch or that the comedy choices are significantly less than the Punchliner comedy areas on the previous Carnival cruises that I have taken.

But, I will certainly enjoy myself, because after all, a day at sea is 100 times better than a day at work.:cool:

Pricing has little to do with actual service/experience and everything to do with marketing and perception. RCI charges twice as much because they can get away with it. Personally I can't justify RCI prices, but both lines offer a great vacation.

Pricing has little to do with actual service/experience and everything to do with marketing and perception. RCI charges twice as much because they can get away with it. Personally I can't justify RCI prices, but both lines offer a great vacation.

No RCI can charge more because people such as myself and many others feel that they are worth the price. Just because you can't justify the price doesn't mean others feel the same way. Enjoy Carnival.;)

I beg to differ. The overall experience between the Allure and anything offered on Carnival are VASTLY different. There's very little comparison...

Never compare the Allure to anything else it's the best ship ever if it sank I will never cruise again or maybe never go on vacation.

It is still the same class as Dream/Magic. That means the two pools for 4,000 guests will be slightly larger than toilets. The wonderful main theater will feature bingo, the marriage game, and very little pure professional entertainment. Even among CCL lines, Princess provides much more. I was on the Magic last summer. I was on the 100 day old Carnival Magic last summer. Not impressed. You really have no basis in saying the Breeze will be any different, other than the lack of Farcus gaudy design, blinking lights, and neon. You can count on two pools for 4,000 people which are smaller than backyard pools and larger than toilets, the Marriage Game and Bingo as entertainment in the main theater, and poor service. I do agree that if you're cruising for ports, price, and pizza, go for it on Carnival.

I don't recall saying it would be a different design, but I do know most people won't cruise on Carnival due to their decor and this will be unlike anything they've done before. And you can get bad service anywhere, it's indicative of a specific ship on a specific sailing, not an entire cruise line.

I don't recall saying it would be a different design, but I do know most people won't cruise on Carnival due to their decor and this will be unlike anything they've done before. And you can get bad service anywhere, it's indicative of a specific ship on a specific sailing, not an entire cruise line.

The lack of Faucus will be a great thing for the Breeze. I applaud CCL for that move. The Breeze looks like it is going to be a really nice ship.

However, I have cruised on the Dream. I did have a good time. But I am fairly certain I will never cruise that ship class again. It was just way too crowded. Never have I seen lido buffet lines like that and the pools were a joke. They really messed up by not making the public venues large enough to adequately handle the amount of people on board. And if I understand it right, Breeze has even more passengers than Dream? If so, it's just way too many people on a poorly designed ship.

I was amazed at the atrocious levels of service and entertainment on their signature new ship this past summer. That's my lasting and last impression. I won't buy the argument that I should expect LESS on a Med cruise because the entertainment on the Ruby Princess Grand Med was the best I've experienced on any cruise. But I'm confident the Allure will top that. Can't wait.

Archived