One cruise on Allure or TWO on Carnival's newest ship?

Would you rather stay two weeks at a Holiday Inn Express or one week at a Hyatt Resort?

Bingo! CCL and RCI are not on the same level and Oasis Class and Dream Class are certainly not on the same level. And frankly speaking, most people who would argue for the Holiday Inn Express are people who make themselves believe it is the same because they either can't afford the Hyatt or are cheap.

Bingo! CCL and RCI are not on the same level and Oasis Class and Dream Class are certainly not on the same level. And frankly speaking, most people who would argue for the Holiday Inn Express are people who make themselves believe it is the same because they either can't afford the Hyatt or are cheap.

Or they are people that want a vacaction that's twice as long for the same price! :D

I had been debating trying out a Carnival ship (mainly because a B2B on Liberty and a week on Oasis has eaten up every penny of the vacation funds and then some!) and bring 3 cruise newbies on board with us too... the more I read the more i'll have to sell them on the benefits of paying a premium price for Allure because from what i'm reading I definitely won't be happy on Carnival :(

Go onto Carnival's website and peruse the 20 or so mini videos about the new Breeze. The decor is not over the top glitzy like all of the Farcus designed ships in the Carnival fleet. And if you like different itineraries, the 8 day sailings offer a choice of either Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk and La Romana, Dominican Republic or St Thomas, Nassau, Antigua and Tortola/Virgin Gorda. If you can't get excited after looking at those videos and seeing some of the innovations that will be incorporated on the Breeze, as well as the different variety of ports, then stick with RCCL.

Everyone raves about the Oasis and the Allure, but the ports that they go to are the same old STALE PORTS. Saturday and Sunday departures and they flip flop eastern vs western Caribbean. Maybe that's the reason that RCCL decided to go that way....people will stay on the ship and spend more money instead of going ashore

Or they are people that want a vacaction that's twice as long for the same price! :D

You can take a vacation in your backyard for free. I don't get your point because it's a different vacation. On the Allure, you can see a professional performance of Chicago while your counterparts on the Carnival cruise are watching eight of their fellow cruisers play the newlywed game or perform in an amateur talent show. Also, prices on the Allure are not double the Carnival Breeze and those Carnival ES prices have so many strings attached. But if money is all that it comes down to, then stay at the Holiday Inn Express, dine at Applebee's and most definitely book with Carnival.

That is not nickle and diming. It's called more options. You have plenty of places to dine on both RCI and NCL that is included in your cruise fare. Those comments are nothing more than grasping for straws.:rolleyes:

I also don't remember Carnival's burgers being all that great. At times I was able to get a fresh one and other times one was already plated and handed to me by the cook. By the way, Carnival's so called new Sunshine ship will be adding three specialty resturants when it returns to service. Carnival has finally woke up and realized that there are people out there who will pay for this.

Three specialty restaurants on the Sunshine? There's the Steakhouse @ 30.00 per person and has gotten better reviews online than any of the upscale offerings by RCCL....the Chef's Table @ 75.00 per person, which is not really a restaurant per se, it's an upscale wine/course tasting menu for foodies and the Cucina Del Capitano, which will be free at lunch time and charge 12.00 for family style dinner dining.

Unlike RCCL, which charges extra to eat at Johnnie Rockets for burgers and Rita's Cantina for mexican, Carnival offers Guy's Burger Joint and the BlueIguana Cantina for FREE.

Yes, the Sunshine is not new....it is the Destiny after it has gone through dry dock upgrades, including a three story adult only Serenity area with a waterfall. Back in 1996, it was the largest ship on the seas until the Voyager came on board in 1999.

I know gator...you're platinum with Carnival, you fell in love with RCCL and you'll never look back.

We priced out two cabins (oceanview balcony and inside) on the Allure and Carnival Breeze for the same week in April 2013. The prices for the four of us were higher on the Allure by $100 per person. We were going to book the Allure in any case, but just wanted to check price comparisons for reasonability and we think the Allure is a bargain and Carnival seems high priced for what you get.

Don't know where you did your price comparisons at, but not including port charges....the 4 sailings of the Allure are either 849 or 899 for an inside cabin for 7 days. The 6 day sailings of the Breeze are only 489 and the 8 day sailings are either 679 or 709. So, don't know where you're getting your 100.00 difference. If you do a B2B, it's 1748 on the Allure versus 1198 or 1168 on the Breeze.

Don't know where you did your price comparisons at, but not including port charges....the 4 sailings of the Allure are either 849 or 899 for an inside cabin for 7 days. The 6 day sailings of the Breeze are only 489 and the 8 day sailings are either 679 or 709. So, don't know where you're getting your 100.00 difference. If you do a B2B, it's 1748 on the Allure versus 1198 or 1168 on the Breeze.

I priced out ocean view balcony and inside cabin opposite for Allure and Breeze for third week of April next year. We got Allure for about $4800 and Breeze was about $4300. For the four of us, that's $125 per person difference. Not too hard of a choice in taking the Allure.

I priced out ocean view balcony and inside cabin opposite for Allure and Breeze for third week of April next year. We got Allure for about $4800 and Breeze was about $4300. For the four of us, that's $125 per person difference. Not too hard of a choice in taking the Allure.

You were obviously comparing the Allure with the 8 day version of the Breeze at non Early Saver rates. Does not matter...enjoy your cruise, stay on board cause the ports suck. Just like your Bruins have been recently...what are they, 2-8 in their last 10? Ottawa is right behind ya and if you do hang on be thankful that the division winners get the top 3 seeds, because the Pens, Flyers and Devils all have more points than you. Guess that 11-1 record from November is a distant memory.

My opinion: go with the Allure.

We did the Oasis 2 years back, it was the BEST ship I've ever sailed on. There was nothing on it that my family didn't enjoy! We've done 4 Carnival cruises before (last one was 2008). To us, there is no comparison in the two lines. I don't care what anyone posts on here, we had several problems that were inexcusable and felt we wasted our money on Carnival but it was a valuable lesson learned for us.

We are doing the Allure summer of 2013 for my last son's HS graduation. We are all pumped!

As the saying goes: cheaper isn't always better.

You were obviously comparing the Allure with the 8 day version of the Breeze at non Early Saver rates. Does not matter...enjoy your cruise, stay on board cause the ports suck. Just like your Bruins have been recently...what are they, 2-8 in their last 10? Ottawa is right behind ya and if you do hang on be thankful that the division winners get the top 3 seeds, because the Pens, Flyers and Devils all have more points than you. Guess that 11-1 record from November is a distant memory.

Ouch! We'll settle for being champs for now.

I am not a fan of the ES plan with the non-refundable rates and so many strings attached to price reductions.

We are not taking the Allure for the ports. That cruise is for the ship. I would never take a Carnival cruise for the ship. The pools are slightly larger than toilet bowls and probably less sanitary. The service is slow and frustrating and entertainment is weak. I did enjoy our 9-day Med cruise on the Magic. We had four of us for under $5K in a spa balcony cabin with only one sea day. That was for the ports. Caribbean cruises are different with more of a focus on fun on the ships. I highly doubt people would even consider the Allure for the ports. We agree. As of now, all I see us doing is Orient Beach in St Martin and the ferry to St John and head to Trunk Bay.

You can take a vacation in your backyard for free. I don't get your point because it's a different vacation. On the Allure, you can see a professional performance of Chicago while your counterparts on the Carnival cruise are watching eight of their fellow cruisers play the newlywed game or perform in an amateur talent show. Also, prices on the Allure are not double the Carnival Breeze and those Carnival ES prices have so many strings attached. But if money is all that it comes down to, then stay at the Holiday Inn Express, dine at Applebee's and most definitely book with Carnival.

You equate staying in your back yard with going on a cruise? Really?:D:rolleyes:

Three specialty restaurants on the Sunshine? There's the Steakhouse @ 30.00 per person and has gotten better reviews online than any of the upscale offerings by RCCL....the Chef's Table @ 75.00 per person, which is not really a restaurant per se, it's an upscale wine/course tasting menu for foodies and the Cucina Del Capitano, which will be free at lunch time and charge 12.00 for family style dinner dining.

Unlike RCCL, which charges extra to eat at Johnnie Rockets for burgers and Rita's Cantina for mexican, Carnival offers Guy's Burger Joint and the BlueIguana Cantina for FREE.

Yes, the Sunshine is not new....it is the Destiny after it has gone through dry dock upgrades, including a three story adult only Serenity area with a waterfall. Back in 1996, it was the largest ship on the seas until the Voyager came on board in 1999.

I know gator...you're platinum with Carnival, you fell in love with RCCL and you'll never look back.

I don't need for you to explain to me about the Destiny. I know all about it. ;)

Who cares what Carnival offers for free? Then cruise Carnival. The average Carnival cruiser cares more about quantity than they do quality. Thus the numerous comments made about all of the free food (they love that free 24 hour ice cream and pizza) and low prices. If Carnival tried to raise their prices to match that of their competition they would be out of business. Carnival is the LOW price leader for a reason.

Why are Carnival cruisers the only ones that have to explain, apologize or defend their choice of cruise line? You don't see those type conversations on other boards except when the Carnivores bring it over. Of course it does provide interesting reading and entertainment. ;)

...and RCI has Park Cafe, Wipeout Cafe, Sorrentos, Solarium Bistro (lunch), Cafe Promenade, Seaview Cafe, and Compass Deli, all for free. Did you not know about these? :confused:

You equate staying in your back yard with going on a cruise? Really?:D:rolleyes:

No, I don't. The point is that I also don't equate going on a Carnival Breeze cruise with an Allure cruise. It's more along the lines of staying at a Holiday Inn Express (or Marriott Courtyard, if it makes Carnival fans happier) or a Hyatt. There are some things I'll pay a premium for. The question is how much and do I think there's value there. For many people, they like playing Newlywed Game or Marriage Game that they have on Carnival and consider the amateur talent shows to be great fun and, after all, they are the "fun ships". I just don't mind paying the premium for professional entertainment like Chicago, the aqua shows, ice shows, and more that comes with the Allure cruise. Obviously, there is a market for both types of vacations. I have been on enough Caribbean cruises where these ports seem so similar and I'm not cruising for ports in the Caribbean like I do in Europe, Alaska, or somewhere else.

I'm reading lots of rave comments about the Allure so I'm very anxious for this cruise. Please don't tell me the ports suck though.:(:confused: Those ports are the main reason I'm going on the Allure in the first place. My friends told me they really like the ports. Maybe if you've been there a bunch of times but I usually cruise Mexican Riviera cuz I can drive to California ports. I want to go to all those ports so I have read a couple people comment about the ports in a negative way. Boo hoo.

I'm reading lots of rave comments about the Allure so I'm very anxious for this cruise. Please don't tell me the ports suck though.:(:confused: Those ports are the main reason I'm going on the Allure in the first place. My friends told me they really like the ports. Maybe if you've been there a bunch of times but I usually cruise Mexican Riviera cuz I can drive to California ports. I want to go to all those ports so I have read a couple people comment about the ports in a negative way. Boo hoo.

Many posters have been to the Caribbean ports many times. Most of the ports for the 7 day cruises from Florida go to the same places. We have done the MR many times as we also just drive to the port. The beaches are much nicer in the Caribbean and the shopping is abundant and better than than what we have seen in Mexico. The Oasis and Allure are great for cruisers who want a 'new' experience with the same ports. There is so much to do on the two mega ships that the ports are kind of secondary.

Sailing on the Allure is truly about the ship, with the ports being an afterthought.

We did the Western itineary:

• We loved Labadee.
  • Didn't care much for Falmouth since the facilities were still under construction and we made the mistake of not booking an excursion (Falmouth is nothing more than a run down town with its share of crime). Literally, we got off the ship for ONE hour and turned around.
  • If you've never been to Cozumel, you may enjoy it. It's a bit over-comercialized (think shopping mall style welcome center, chain restaurants and stores, etc), but it has nice beaches, and it's a great hop off point for places like the Mayan Ruins of Tulum (a 45 minute ferry ride to the mainland).

As others have said, the ports don't "suck", they just get old after a while if you've been to them numerous time.

Most of the ports on your eastern route will have very nice beaches, and lots of shopping. Other than that it is more about sightseeing in a lot of the places than any adventure type things. While there are a few, once you've done them, they get moved to the done column.

I have been to both St. Maarten and St. Thomas on both a land vacation and via cruise. We are doing the eastern as my DD hasn't been yet, but she's been to all the western route ports. I am very much looking forward to Allure, but somewhat struggling with what to do once there. Again, not that they "suck" just not a whole lot new to do and I like new experiences, not just the some old thing all the time.

Thanks for the clarification. St Thomas, St Maarten and Nassau are where I've wanted to go. I know a lot of people complain about Nassau stop but I have never been to Atlantis so that is on my bucket list. Never been to Florida either. All my cruises have been out of the west coast or Hawaii so I'm looking forward to enjoying the eastern caribbean. Also on my bucket list is Cozumel but I can that 2014 or after.

I'm perfectly content doing beach days and friends are arranging a private tour for us. I don't get much beach time since I live in the desert. :)

Thanks for the clarification. St Thomas, St Maarten and Nassau are where I've wanted to go. I know a lot of people complain about Nassau stop but I have never been to Atlantis so that is on my bucket list. Never been to Florida either. All my cruises have been out of the west coast or Hawaii so I'm looking forward to enjoying the eastern caribbean. Also on my bucket list is Cozumel but I can that 2014 or after.

I'm perfectly content doing beach days and friends are arranging a private tour for us. I don't get much beach time since I live in the desert. :)

Atlantis is great. But that day is not a long day at port. With those hours, the Aquaventure waterpark could be problematic. But you could still head to Atlantis and enjoy the property and the beach there. We love St Thomas as a gateway or ferry ride away to St John. Trunk Bay is our absolute favorite beach anywhere and we love going to St John. St Maarten is also a quick taxi ride to Orient Beach in St Martin and that will be a fun day too. So we love those two ports. But that is two days out of the seven on the cruise and the Allure itself is the focus of the vacation. Can't wait.

But thing is, Disney offers a higher end experience across the board compared to Carnival. Not so with RCI vs Carnival.

going on the big RCI ships is like going to the biggest mall in the country. You see the parking lot and go wow!!! But you go in and after 10mins, you see same stores, same stuff and it's no different than going to your regular mall. But you want to goto the biggest one just to take a look, but stores, service etc.. is all the same.

That sums up RCI best, it's like the biggest mall but other than size, it's no different. I mean, do you need an abercrombie, abercrombie and fitch, holister, aeropostale and american eagle in the same mall?? lol

I don't agree with your opinion about Disney and RCCL. For our teens, there was a lot more to do on the Freedom of the Seas (flowrider was a biggie) than Disney. We went on Disney twice and were bored both times, only our youngest enjoyed Disney. Yes, the shows were better than RCCL, but that's it. We actually liked the food better on RCCL. Although we are huge Disney fans, we won't do a Disney cruise again...IMO, not worth the high pricetag. Even if the price was the same between Disney and RCCL, we would still rather go with RCCL.

I will say that I am basing my opinion on RCCL Freedom class ships. We wouldn't want to go with a smaller RCCL ship.

Atlantis is great. But that day is not a long day at port. With those hours, the Aquaventure waterpark could be problematic. But you could still head to Atlantis and enjoy the property and the beach there. We love St Thomas as a gateway or ferry ride away to St John. Trunk Bay is our absolute favorite beach anywhere and we love going to St John. St Maarten is also a quick taxi ride to Orient Beach in St Martin and that will be a fun day too. So we love those two ports. But that is two days out of the seven on the cruise and the Allure itself is the focus of the vacation. Can't wait.

Totally agree. While the itinerary isn't exotic by any means, it's still good! St. Thomas will always have a dear spot in my heart because we got married there-it's beautiful w/ a lot of options (St. John is absolutely gorgeous!) I've been to St. Maarten 4 times and done the exact same thing each time-Orient beach, shopping, then a short walk back to the ship....I still love it every time. I could enjoy Nassau more, but w/ the short time at port, we just mosey around and head back to the ship.

Now, I've come to realize that I can repeat the Eastern itinerary over and over....I'm not so keen on repeating the Western. We've done the Western our last 2 cruises and are booked for the Western again next year, more because of the group we are going with. Since it's on the Allure, I don't really care because its the ship we are cruising for-it's truly that amazing in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love Cozumel still and we did Mr. Sancho's last time and loved it. I'm "ehhh" on Jamaica, especially Falmouth, but will at least go and try Dunn River Falls this time around, and Labadee is a good, no brainer port as well. I don't know why I like the Eastern so much better (or Southern even more so!) Maybe I'm just "westerned" out and need a change.....Allure should help me in this horrible predicament of having to do the western again!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My opinion: go with the Allure.

We did the Oasis 2 years back, it was the BEST ship I've ever sailed on. There was nothing on it that my family didn't enjoy! We've done 4 Carnival cruises before (last one was 2008). To us, there is no comparison in the two lines. I don't care what anyone posts on here, we had several problems that were inexcusable and felt we wasted our money on Carnival but it was a valuable lesson learned for us.

We are doing the Allure summer of 2013 for my last son's HS graduation. We are all pumped!

As the saying goes: cheaper isn't always better.

what ships have you sailed on?

i dont know what age your older children are but my teen loved the teen club on oasis (allures sister ship) and was so bored with carnivals that he hung out on the jogging track most of the week. also the medical care that DS recieved when he fell on carnival was the worse i have ever seen ( and i work in heathcare ).They were completely inept. They couldnt even diagnose a concussion and never properly prepped the area for the stitches. no xrays were done and my son had a bone chip floating around his elbow. They also had no antibiotic cream!!! what kind of back woods medical place doesnt carry antibiotic cream. you could not pay me to go on another carnival cruise. YJ

The medical care on Carnival Valor is one of the reasons why I will NEVER sail Carnival again. Add that to awful food and a staff that was rude and nasty and just no. Never again.

No, I don't. The point is that I also don't equate going on a Carnival Breeze cruise with an Allure cruise. It's more along the lines of staying at a Holiday Inn Express (or Marriott Courtyard, if it makes Carnival fans happier) or a Hyatt. There are some things I'll pay a premium for. The question is how much and do I think there's value there. For many people, they like playing Newlywed Game or Marriage Game that they have on Carnival and consider the amateur talent shows to be great fun and, after all, they are the "fun ships". I just don't mind paying the premium for professional entertainment like Chicago, the aqua shows, ice shows, and more that comes with the Allure cruise. Obviously, there is a market for both types of vacations. I have been on enough Caribbean cruises where these ports seem so similar and I'm not cruising for ports in the Caribbean like I do in Europe, Alaska, or somewhere else.

You equate the difference between Holiday Inn Express/Marriott Courtyard and Hyatt with the difference between CCL and RCI? OK, then.

Even granted that difference (which to me seems pretty ridiculous), the comparison would be like staying at the Holiday Inn Express in a very desirable location for two weeks versus staying at the Hyatt in a very desirable location for one week. I'd pick the two weeks every time!

Archived