What port have you felt the most uneasy??

beanersmom

Dh and I have never had a problem in Jamaica it was really poor but, that's almost all of the ports we have been to. The only time I have felt uneasy was in Costa Rica a guy was following us so, Dh asked him if he had a problem and he ran away...

I'm booked on the Magic, which goes to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I'm surprised that people find Jamaica to be so bad (I've never been there). What excursion do you recommend in Jamaica? When you say avoid Mexico, I assume you're not including Cozumel.

I'm pretty sure that person was were referrring to the Pacific coast areas as those are some of the towns that are getting hit with drug danger and violence (Acapulco, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta). Caribbean side of Mexico is not dangerous to tourists, in general.

Jamaica is definitely "sketchy" as far as a cruise port. With that being said, it really IS a beautiful island! We have been to Sandals Montego Bay 4X and had a blast. But on our cruise 25 years ago, I don't think we were off the ship for 20 minutes, we actually went BACK to ship and enjoyed the P & Q for the day. Disappointed after that experience!!!!

No problems with Belize! We love it! Ocho Rios would be the port I have to really on on my game. Very aggressive folks trying to sell you something and then when you politely decline, you get verbally assaulted (our experience!) For the most part, the tour operators and others we have met there are wonderful, it is just having to walk the gauntlet! :(:(

EXACTLY my experience in Ocho Rios (Montego Bay wasn't so bad). . . the only time EVER I was fearful of the safety of my family (and I live in LA county):D. Police with automatic weapons everywhere. I couldn't get my son and wife back to the ship fast enough.:eek:

In Belize I walked all over OUTSIDE the gated area. Nice people . . . very run down city where the ship tendered. Prettiest building complete with beautiful white exterior and huge green grass lawn under the flag on a tall pole, at the end of a long street . . . The United States Embassy.:rolleyes:

EDIT to point out Ocho Rios was many many years ago, a wife ago, actually. :D

It's been 15 years ago but, Cartagena,Columbia had me nervous. Especially seeing the Policia toting machine guns with large drug dogs in tow.Been to both Moe Bay and Ocho Rios and except for the pushy people, I never felt threatened.

So I am curious now reading all of these posts. With Montego Bay, is unsafe/uncomfortable at the port? I had decided early on we probably wouldn't go "into" Jamaica. But should I be worried just at the port as well? I have 4 kiddos. Would hate to get caught up in drama.

So I am curious now reading all of these posts. With Montego Bay, is unsafe/uncomfortable at the port? I had decided early on we probably wouldn't go "into" Jamaica. But should I be worried just at the port as well? I have 4 kiddos. Would hate to get caught up in drama.

There's nothing at the port. Just a small indoor shopping area where the check-in is. Mo Bay is the worst Caribbean port I have ever been to.

I have never been in a port which worried me? This past January I was in Belize, and though it looks a little dicey, found the locals to be amongst the kindest friendly folks I ever met in a port on 3 cruises. I wandered around Ladyville some and in Belize City, I loved the fact it was no Carlos&Charlies, Magaritaville, Fat Tuesday all look the same kinda place, loved the culture of it, the early architecture etc. Never felt fake like some places do.

We try on our cruises to get away from the ship area as far as possible, some of the best times I have had was going inland in Ensenada and going to the oppsite side of Cozumel where the bigger waves crash and the beach is endless and rustic.

This being said, I have never done Jamaica, Ochos etc.. moatly 2 Western Caribs and Catalina, Ensenada, so pretty sheltered cruise life.

By far Jamaica is the worse place I have ever traveled to. Been there at an all inclusive and off a cruise ship. We were robbed by a taxi driver, offered every kind of drug you could think of, and the people were very aggressive. When I tried taking some pictures I was approached by a woman who said she was in my picture and I had to give her $10. I would never go back even if it was a free trip (which our last one was). Three strikes and you're out. No more Jamaica!!!

Samana, Dominican Republic was the worst place I've been too. We tendered in and walked about an 1/8 of a mile before I felt like there was a risk to the safety of myself and family. It is a port that you are fine if you are on an excursion but should be leery of venturing out on your own.

Double ditto on this one for us too, never again.

You're all freaking me out here! I am getting scared. We are going on a Carnival day tour when we are in Belize. :(

You will be fine. I think what freaks a lot of Americans out is the level of poverty in Belize City. The area outside the cruise dock is run down and doesn't look cookie-cutter perfect, someplace like Cozumel does. The bars on the windows are generally a stylistic Central American thing. Belize City is actually very safe as far as Central American capitals are concerned.

Of course as an American, you will stand out, so it is always best to be on your guard. But if you are on a Carnival excursion, you will absolutely be fine. Enjoy your trip.

I think the key to any of these ports is to do your research ahead of time. Have a plan - don't think you can just get off the ship and walk around (unless you're in Saint John NB or Halifax NS or similar ports - no problem in those cities :cool:). Go over to the "ports of call" board and do some research. We've had great excursions in a lot of the ports that have been mentioned here, including Mo Bay and Belize. In Jamaica, I want to have something planned. Last time we visited (Conquest 2010), our sail and snorkel excursion was canceled due to weather and none of the other available excursions really appealed to me - so we got off the ship, went over to the shopping area, bought Blue Mountain Coffee:cool: and a few other items, and went back aboard the ship. Still, I was sorry to miss going outside the port area. I just didn't want to do something "on my own."

You're all freaking me out here! I am getting scared. We are going on a Carnival day tour when we are in Belize. :(

Do not worry!! I have been to Belize once before, and did a Carnival tour, and it was safe, not scary at all. No problems. I think maybe the only problems one might encounter in Belize is if you venture out on your own past the dock area. Just remember that whether you are in Belize, Jamaica, or wherever in the Caribbean, you should be careful, and dont do things you would not do at home.

You are going to Belize, a place you have not yet been to, and are doing a tour through your cruise line, so whatever you do, dont cancel your tour based on what you read here. Go to Belize, take your tour, and enjoy it, and take wonderful memories back home from a place you will maybe only visit once in a lifetime.

Just stay with your tour, and when back to the dock area, stay within the area. Have a great cruise, and hope you enjoy your tour in Belize.:)

Outside the gate in Belize We hire a local tour guide to for cave tubing.. wow He packed 10 people in a small van.. drove 80mph the whole way... And something about armed guards with machine guns wasnt good..

Been to Ochio rios felt fine in the city beside the ship

Also went to Santo Thomas Guatemelua.. Beautiful Place.. the tour guide was amazing loved it would go back in a heart beat

I have been to the following ports/countries in the Caribbean: Cozumel, Progreso, Belize, St. Croix, Roatan, Dominican Republic and Grand Cayman. We have felt safe in all of these places.

However, if you have never been to a third world country, you will be in for a surprise. It is shocking to see the men with machine guns patroling the streets and guarding banks and sometimes stores. This is just everyday life in a third world country. If you can't handle that, than going to Jamaica is not going to work for you. Stay on the ship, go on an excursion or change your cruise.

Miami, seriously- I've been to Jamaica multiple times and never felt any more unsafe than in Cozumel. The port I feel safest in is Labadee Haiti (Private port via Royal Caribbean). In Barbados my husband was swimming in the waves and guys circled him and tried to grab his money pouch. I think knuckleheads are everywhere. Just be alert while in crowds and don't go where you don't know/isolated areas. Oh and I forgot the pick pocket in Puerto Rico who I surprised as I rapidly turned around and went after him....ER nurses are nuts. He didn't know my profession. Also full disclosure I hang out in Haiti on mission trips so fear I guess is relative. I think you go and have a blast. Relax a bit on the ship, be careful in ports.

Karen

Interestingly enough, our only issue came in St Maarten of all places. We had taken our kids over to Maho Beach, and our cab driver had told us where to go when we were done to catch a cab back to the ship. The first cab from the port was a nice Toyota van--the one that stopped to pick us up near Maho was an old Toyota van with metal floors. Everything was fine until he stopped to pick up more people--and then more people. The weird thing was that the other people didn't wave him down--it appeared that they were waiting for him. Before we knew it, my wife and I were on one row against the window with no door and our kids were on the row behind us--all trapped from the exit by all these other passengers--all of whom were speaking French to each other and to the driver. I didn't want to say anything that might make our kids nervous, but then he turned off the main road and away from the port into a "neighborhood" that is probably not visited by tourists. I really began to wonder--"Is this some sort of set-up?" To our relief, he began dropping the others off at various locations. I thought, "Ok, good, this was just some sort of communal cab for locals," but then when we were the last people left in the cab, he pulled over, told us he'd be back soon, and left us in the running cab while he went into a lot of parked cars and started going through one of the cars a few rows back. By this point our kids were totally freaked out. In the distance we could see the very top of the Crown Princess, but it was too far to walk, we were in this poor neighborhood away from the tourist area, and it was starting to get late. Almost ten minutes later he returned, said nothing, but continued on to the port. In the end, nothing happened, but it really made me think long and hard about whether I'd ever just set out on a spontaneous excursion again with children.

Archived