What port have you felt the most uneasy??

beanersmom

I didn't like Ocho Rios because of the pushy shop keepers, but I never felt unsafe, just pretty annoyed. I DID feel unsafe in Costa Maya on this last trip. Taxi drivers blocked our tour bus in for awhile and wouldn't let us leave. They also tried to block the roads leading us back to the ship. It was both aggravating and scary :(

I loved Ocho Rios.

The most threatened I ever felt was not at a Carnival port of call, but Royal Caribbean. We went into the straw market on their private stop at Labadee. We shopped at a couple of stalls and then were literally surrounded by other merchants demanding that we also buy something from them. Security had to come and rescue us. What really amazed me about that was the the security guard told them that they had been warned before about this type of behaviour. I know Haiti is a country notorious for its poverty, but they are shooting themselves in the foot with their aggressive "sales" tactics. Last time I had the option of going to Labadee, I picked another cruise line.

We spent a week in Jamaica in the early 80's...even rode local buses a couple of times,

but never felt uneasy. Cruised there several times in the late 80's and early 90's, still

no problem climbing Dunns River Falls, and some shopping.

We docked at the new port of Falmouth, where we had been on that first trip.

It was a beautiful old town, with a lovely cathedral and historic buildings. This trip I

walked around the wharf which has a lot of shops, restaurants and bars. My DH decided

to walk around the town. Went two blocks and scurried back to safety. First time he has

ever chickened out at any port we've visited anywhere. I hate that Jamaica has gotten

like this, too much poverty, too little industry, and a climate of violence.

Butch Stewart started the all-inclusives to make it possible for people to visit without fear,

but the guests wind up being insulated from the locals. He had the betterment of Jamaica

in mind but all it's done is let people enjoy Jamaica's weather and beaches without getting

involved with the real Jamaica. I sure hope somehow something will be done, or they will

lose the cruise ships.

Nassau, by the way, is just Nassau. I do feel, at least in the day time, it's safe in most areas. It has also cleaned up a lot. The shopping is good, Cable Beach and Paradise Island offer gambling and shows, and there are plenty of good restaurants to choose from.

If nothing else, hit Senor Frogs on the waterfront and kick back.

I think that cruise ship arrivals encourage this pushy behavior because of thousands of tourists arriving at the same time and taking the same route. It's like the crocs in the Mara river waiting for the wildebeest to cross. Land based vacations are far different

I think that cruise ship arrivals encourage this pushy behavior because of thousands of tourists arriving at the same time and taking the same route. It's like the crocs in the Mara river waiting for the wildebeest to cross. Land based vacations are far different

Now I'm picturing camera-carrying wildebeests in bad shorts and sunglasses.

you're kidding!

we found curacao to be just a lovely as aruba. after touring that colorful city, we took a cab to one of the nicest beaches we have ever been to!

never rate a port by the dock it pulls up next to! This was truly your loss!

I'm with you, we thought Curacao was cleaner and prettier than Aruba and the beach we went to was nicer than the beach in Aruba.In fact,we feel that Curacao ranks up there as one of our favorite islands along with St. Maarten.

I've been to Jamaica & Cozumel 5 times (Ochos and Falmouth) and Labadee Haiti 4 times. (Etc for almost every Caribbean island) Granted I'm used to Caribbean culture, even staffed Pap Gen post earthquake. Each trip has been different. I had a blast at both ports (Jamaica & Haiti) last March. In Falmouth we went ATVing in the mountains and it was wonderful. In Labadee we did the wave runners. I don't hang in any of the ports and in Haiti , while I go in the straw market- i don't bring my kids. The entire Caribbean is very loud/physical. It's not in my comfort zone- but I do like getting money right to the people. Now when I go in the straw markets I will seek out the vendor who is 1) not touching me 2) exhibiting a behavior I want to encourage. That's me, though. I realize most don't want to think that hard on vacation, want to relax and I get that. ONLY in the straw market will you get that behavior in Labadee Haiti. Otherwise it's a delightful beach day- my favorite port. I can find something wrong with every port if I wanted to...or i could go on an adventure, keep my street smarts and have a blast. I can't wait to watch an elderly couple do the salsa in Puerto Rico in a few months!

Karen

Personally I like when people stay on the boat~ makes for a less crowded port exit for me! Never judge an island by the port - not in America either....

This is right on.

Wow I can't believe how many responses there have been :eek: The one I am most shocked was the poster that mentioned Curacao as being the dirtiest/slummiest. That is the port we were most looking forward to on our cruise next month!

So as two young women, traveling alone, should we NOT be getting off the boat in Ocho Rios? We were going to do an excursion through Carnival but now y'all have got me freaked right the eff out! LOL

you will be fine. jamaican vendors can be a little pushy. as with anywhere, exercise caution. if you are doing a ship sponsored excursion, you will be more than fine. we stayed in ocho rios for a week and never had the first problem.

So as two young women, traveling alone, should we NOT be getting off the boat in Ocho Rios? We were going to do an excursion through Carnival but now y'all have got me freaked right the eff out! LOL

We were just in Ocho Rios on Carnival Valor March 6, we chose to do the Carnival Excursion Tranopy Adventure. We were placed on a bus right at port and dropped off at Mystic Mountain for Aerial Tram, Zip Lining, and Bob Sledding. There were absolutely no aggressive locals anywhere that we encountered. The staff at Mystic Mountain are great, and not a bunch of local pushy vendors. Everything was fvery safe and very enjoyable.

When we took the bus back to ship we chose not to go to the shopping area and went straight back to ship, again no encounters with any pushy or mean people at all.

We did hear from others that went into the shopping areas that the poeple there were very agressive and pushy.

You will need to make up your own mind about what you do, but thats our story.

We were just in Ocho Rios on Carnival Valor March 6, we chose to do the Carnival Excursion Tranopy Adventure. We were placed on a bus right at port and dropped off at Mystic Mountain for Aerial Tram, Zip Lining, and Bob Sledding. There were absolutely no aggressive locals anywhere that we encountered. The staff at Mystic Mountain are great, and not a bunch of local pushy vendors. Everything was fvery safe and very enjoyable.

When we took the bus back to ship we chose not to go to the shopping area and went straight back to ship, again no encounters with any pushy or mean people at all.

We did hear from others that went into the shopping areas that the poeple there were very agressive and pushy.

You will need to make up your own mind about what you do, but thats our story.

That's exactly the excursion we want to do! So maybe we'll live a little and do it!

I responded earlier to this thread and said that we were okay with Belize but felt Ocho Rios was our worst experience. That is still true.

BUT! We are looking forward to our stop there this summer. I did NOT say we feel UNSAFE. Just hassled and approached then insulted on the street. On our excursions we met wonderful people. All that said, we are going back and we know what to expect and how to handle it. Go, enjoy, be aware, do not respond, and enjoy your stop!

So...if I book my Sky Explorer excursion to Magic Mountian inJamaica through Carnival, do I encounter being "pestered and harassed" anywhere from the walk from the ship to the excursion vehicle? Where do the excursion vehicles pick us up? I assume once we are up on Magic Mountain we should be fine. I hear wonderful things about it.

But...when we get dropped off after excursion, we may head to Margaritaville...so please tell me what that entails...where would excursion vehicle drop us off and what to expect..where I should walk (the taxi stories sound scary and I don't think it's a good idea). Is it not a good idea..should I just get back on the ship? DH will be walking very slow with his cane and cannot move quickly to get away from these people.

Thanks

Archived