What port have you felt the most uneasy??

beanersmom

La Romana, Dominican Republic was by far the most 3rd world and didn't feel safe. We did take a cruise ship sponsored tour into Santo Domingo at this port (and don't often take CCL tours but was happy we did here). The second worst port was Belize...was there on 3 different itineraries, did cave tubing which was really fun on the 1st cruise, then didn't get off ship on other 2 stops. Very very poor country, hands reaching thru fencing for money. An announcement was actually made before debarking advising pax NOT to go beyond the barbed wire fencing on your own...not a comfy cozy feeling.

I didn't have a bad experience in MoBay, I had a good one we did the Rose Hall tour the only thing was the parking lot street market he pulled into it was obvious there were kickbacks involved. Yes the sellers were aggressive but if you say

"me no wantie"- means no thank you in Padua. My Jamaican co-workers were so helpful to help me understand the culture. Okay back to story>>

The vendors were a bit aggressive but I expected that. I haggled for some real nice handmade crafts. Met my match- got a good price after 10 minutes. "Me no wantie" came in real handy and they kind of backed off when I said it.

Bus drops us off by terminal wanted some lunch- I saw a Juta policeman go in a small sandwich shop.Come out with patty and cocoa bread. I came to eat Jamaican food even if its their fast food. I went into the sandwich shop near duty free shop, ordered lunch for my DH and I. The guy behind the counter was surprised we came in to order it and so friendly . I ordered our Patty and cocoa bread. OMG it was delish best patty I had-beats them pizzeria ones hands down. We were sitting on the benches. The policeman comes over asked how we liked it and was glad us Americans enjoyed it. We bought a local rum we liked went back on ship. This was in 2005.

I just become aware of my surroundings and listen to your gut instinct. If it doesn't feel right it isn't. But I wouldn't not go somewhere i didn't feel comfortable. for me its the other side of my town at night

And this is why i hate Threads like this... Someone is now scared to go somewhere b/c people feel so scared in Jamacia Yawn... Its not a scary place if you use your head. Your in more danger in any port City in Flordia than any Port on your crusie.

I've ridden the subway in NYC in the middle of the night so I'm not AFRAID per se. It's really more the fear of the unknown than anything else.

Can't say I've ever felt unsafe or uncomfortable in a port.

I tend to take Cruise Ship sponsored tours though.... I don't do a lot of wandering around on my own, just my personal preference.

I also walk/drive by people and vehicles with large automatic weapons everyday on my way to work now...

.........And a guy offered to sell us a baby.

mzloolue,

How much? How would you get it back on the ship?

I've never had that happen, but if it does I'll buy her or him; I'll then proceed to the nearest police station and turn them over along with pics of the salesman. I figure what ever is going on that the baby is in jeopardy and needs to be taken out of the situation.

Thought Progresso was wonderful. Very nice people. People are just poorer thatn we are so they look forward when cruise passengers set foot. They may be pushy but they are trying to feed their family. I think our view as Americans is so naive. We tend to view people with different beliefs and cultures differently. They are poorer so they are going to be pushy to try to make a few bucks. As far as the drugs, It happens in the states too. Many Cruise folks have never experienced real poverty, such as projects and the such. I have lived in some rough areas in cities so nothing bothers me. It goes without saying that you should always be warry of your surroundings.

mzloolue,

I've never had that happen, but if it does I'll buy her or him; I'll then proceed to the nearest police station and turn them over along with pics of the salesman. I figure what ever is going on that the baby is in jeopardy and needs to be taken out of the situation.

Good for you! You will be the stupid tourist found bloodied and robbed. Good luck on your one-man foreign invasion force.

BTW, you would be the one arrested for trying to buy a baby.

Edit - Sorry for the rudeness. I realize you are trying to do good but what you suggest is very dangerous. Also

don't think the person even had a baby.

mzloolue,

Your heart is in the right place, but there are many reasons why that would not be a wise thing to do.

I HATE Jamaica.

But...our last cruise to Jamaica I talked DH into going to Mystic Mountain. Oh my word, I think that is one of the most wonderful days I've had on any cruise. It was not crowded at.all. We hopped in a van going to Dunns Falls right at the immigration building (or whatever it's called) and was dropped off at MM. It is so beautiful and serene. We took a 15-minute (maybe longer) ski lift ride to the top of the mountain and through the forests. It was breath-taking.

Once at the top, we did the bobsled runs. It was an absolute blast! They also have an infinity pool and slide there that is included with your admission. There is a small Jamaican bobsled "museum", native dancers and a few vendors but nothing like you would encounter around the port.

We called the van and he picked us back up in about 10 minutes. Easy-peasy and was a wonderful, wonderful day. I would highly recommend it.

HATE Jamaica? Have you been to Whitehouse, Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach? Don't judge a country by these ports please! That's like judging the whole USA by perhaps a very poor town in Mississippi -- ridiculous!

I loved Montego Bay; we did the zip lining tour through the ship. I was worried about taking our kids (they were 11 and 14 at the time) off the ship because of everything I had read on here; drugs being offered, pushy sales people, etc. This ended up being our most favorite port, and would love to go back there. Our tour guide was hilarious and informative, it was the most beautiful scenery I have every seen. We never felt threatened or harassed.

We went to Ocho Rios on our honeymoon 25 years ago and they were pushy then - I can only imagine what it's like now, the things i read!! I never want to go back to Ocho Rios again. I was considering a cruise stop to Ocho Rios last year but my husband said "NO WAY!"

So... we ended up on a cruise that stopped in Belize. Now, I heard horror stories about Belize so I tried to keep an open mind. We did the Carnival sponsored tour to Xunantunich Mayan Ruins and it was the highlight of our cruise! Now, granted, we too a ship-sponsored tour that picked us up INSIDE the port area and took us 2 hours inland where no one was around. Yes, there were armed police at the site, but that made us feel secure knowing that no one was going to jump out at us. We ran into locals selling wares and no one was pushy. We stopped at a restaurant for lunch and the people were warm and wonderful. Afterwards there were people selling wares outside the restaurant, no one was pushy at all, all very pleasant people.

You can't compare Belize to Ocho Rios. In Ocho Rios coming after tourists was very common, in Belize, we didn't experience it at all.

Now, we're heading to St. Lucia and I've heard about the people running over to tourists and begging to buy stuff, so we might just take a sea tour to the Pitons to avoid the stress.

So as two young women, traveling alone, should we NOT be getting off the boat in Ocho Rios? We were going to do an excursion through Carnival but now y'all have got me freaked right the eff out! LOL

Don't let people freak you out..My daughter and I travel all over. And have no problem really book a tour with a company that has good reviews and have a great time..When we did Ocho Rios we went to the falls had a blast..Went river tubeing and a shopping stop and a beach. We never felt unsafe and were really glad we didn't let the bad reviews stop us from going. Yes the gate outside the port is crazy..The people just want your biz and to make some money. Just shut them out and you will be fine!!

HATE Jamaica? Have you been to Whitehouse, Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach? Don't judge a country by these ports please! That's like judging the whole USA by perhaps a very poor town in Mississippi -- ridiculous!
Did you read anything after "I HATE Jamaica"? Perhaps you should.

That's exactly the excursion we want to do! So maybe we'll live a little and do it!

Yes!!!!

I highly reccomend this excursion (Tranopy Adventure), it was awesome, my DW loved it! She even had a pin wheel and yelled Wee Wee Weee down the zip lines, like the current commercial, everyone was laughing with her!

We felt very safe the entire time. Go Have Fun! Be sure to check out the Hummingbird Garden at the top as well!

Now you all are freaking me out about Jamaica. I have been on Ochos Rios and did not think it was too bad. We found a cab driver near the dock and he offered to take us up by Dunns River Falls. We did not want to climb or go in the falls just see them so he took us to a place where we could look at them, which I think was basically the end of the falls tour or something because there was a little market. I did not think it was that bad. The people were pretty pushy and one guy had given my mom free beads and then demanded money for them at the end. Pretty much if you bought something from one person, you had to buy from everyone. It was extremely hot and i had my long hair down. Before I knew it this lady had put my hair up in a nice wooden/leather hair clip (looked handmade but who knows). I wasn't going to refuse to pay her, even though I had not asked because I did not think she would be overly gentle in taking it out. That was the most agressive. Then we went back to the port area and found a shuttle or something that was going to a main shopping area and some of the vendors were pushy and I think my mom was offered to buy weed a couple of times, but it wasn't too bad. That was really no worse than any shopping area in Mexico.

But this trip we will have DD and are going to Montego Bay. DH is not wanting to miss Jamaica and we can't leave her on the ship because the baby sitting for babies (15 months) is such a short period of time its hardly worth it. I didn't really want to take a tour because then we have to worry about transport. I was hoping there was just a little area near the dock with some shops we could go to and get a few souveniers. Is that not a good idea?

If we do it, should we put DD in the baby carrier strapped to DH rather than a stroller?

Poor people I can handle, mildly agressive people I can handle but I don't want my baby to get hurt.

Now you all are freaking me out about Jamaica. I have been on Ochos Rios and did not think it was too bad. We found a cab driver near the dock and he offered to take us up by Dunns River Falls. We did not want to climb or go in the falls just see them so he took us to a place where we could look at them, which I think was basically the end of the falls tour or something because there was a little market. I did not think it was that bad. The people were pretty pushy and one guy had given my mom free beads and then demanded money for them at the end. Pretty much if you bought something from one person, you had to buy from everyone. It was extremely hot and i had my long hair down. Before I knew it this lady had put my hair up in a nice wooden/leather hair clip (looked handmade but who knows). I wasn't going to refuse to pay her, even though I had not asked because I did not think she would be overly gentle in taking it out. That was the most aggressive. Then we went back to the port area and found a shuttle or something that was going to a main shopping area and some of the vendors were pushy and I think my mom was offered to buy weed a couple of times, but it wasn't too bad. That was really no worse than any shopping area in Mexico.

But this trip we will have DD and are going to Montego Bay. DH is not wanting to miss Jamaica and we can't leave her on the ship because the baby sitting for babies (15 months) is such a short period of time its hardly worth it. I didn't really want to take a tour because then we have to worry about transport. I was hoping there was just a little area near the dock with some shops we could go to and get a few souvenirs. Is that not a good idea?

If we do it, should we put DD in the baby carrier strapped to DH rather than a stroller?

Poor people I can handle, mildly aggressive people I can handle but I don't want my baby to get hurt.

there's a wide gap between feeling uncomfortable, and something bad actually happening. i haven't read yet, or missed, where something bad happened to someone on this thread.

some people just feel uncomfortable when out of their element.

Now you all are freaking me out about Jamaica. I have been on Ochos Rios and did not think it was too bad. We found a cab driver near the dock and he offered to take us up by Dunns River Falls. We did not want to climb or go in the falls just see them so he took us to a place where we could look at them, which I think was basically the end of the falls tour or something because there was a little market. I did not think it was that bad. The people were pretty pushy and one guy had given my mom free beads and then demanded money for them at the end. Pretty much if you bought something from one person, you had to buy from everyone. It was extremely hot and i had my long hair down. Before I knew it this lady had put my hair up in a nice wooden/leather hair clip (looked handmade but who knows). I wasn't going to refuse to pay her, even though I had not asked because I did not think she would be overly gentle in taking it out. That was the most agressive. Then we went back to the port area and found a shuttle or something that was going to a main shopping area and some of the vendors were pushy and I think my mom was offered to buy weed a couple of times, but it wasn't too bad. That was really no worse than any shopping area in Mexico.

But this trip we will have DD and are going to Montego Bay. DH is not wanting to miss Jamaica and we can't leave her on the ship because the baby sitting for babies (15 months) is such a short period of time its hardly worth it. I didn't really want to take a tour because then we have to worry about transport. I was hoping there was just a little area near the dock with some shops we could go to and get a few souveniers. Is that not a good idea?

Poor people I can handle, mildly agressive people I can handle but I don't want my baby to get hurt.

In MoBay there is a nice terminal building that has lots of shops in it and an area next door that is just a walk away. We almost never leave the terminal area anymore because everything we want is right there.

We usually wait until the tours have pretty much departed before we get off the ship, do a little shopping and then have a drink at one of the bars in the terminal before spending a really quiet day on an almost empty ship.

Now you all are freaking me out about Jamaica. I have been on Ochos Rios and did not think it was too bad. We found a cab driver near the dock and he offered to take us up by Dunns River Falls. We did not want to climb or go in the falls just see them so he took us to a place where we could look at them, which I think was basically the end of the falls tour or something because there was a little market. I did not think it was that bad. The people were pretty pushy and one guy had given my mom free beads and then demanded money for them at the end. Pretty much if you bought something from one person, you had to buy from everyone. It was extremely hot and i had my long hair down. Before I knew it this lady had put my hair up in a nice wooden/leather hair clip (looked handmade but who knows). I wasn't going to refuse to pay her, even though I had not asked because I did not think she would be overly gentle in taking it out. That was the most agressive. Then we went back to the port area and found a shuttle or something that was going to a main shopping area and some of the vendors were pushy and I think my mom was offered to buy weed a couple of times, but it wasn't too bad.

ummm... hello?!?!? It wasn't too bad!?!? Touch me like that in the US and I'll have you arrested. :eek:

Archived