What port have you felt the most uneasy??

beanersmom

For me it was Colon Panama - I was praying the whole time we were on the bus to Panama city that the bus would not break down.

In Roaton it was more the swarm of kids that would not leave you alone and expected you to "tip" them for them being your "tour guide" I understand these kids are trying to make some money but it was very very annoying.

In Jamaica they seemed a little pushy but they weren't awlful

We were at Labadee pre-earthquake so we didn't have any issues.

Just my 2 cents.

That's exactly the excursion we want to do! So maybe we'll live a little and do it!

We did the Mystic Mountain, Bob sled excursion (Zip line is here to) in Ocho Rios. 10 minute ride to the mountain and was on the skylift within 30 minutes of getting off the ship. 100% safe without question.

Now after this excursion we went back to the ship and then decided to walk to town. Once you leave the gate the locals are a bit pushy but saying "No Thank You" nicely and continuing to walk worked quite well.

We stayed around other people (tourists) while in town and did'nt venture off by ourselves. after we were done we walked the 300 yard "gauntlet" as it is called back to the ship.

We are going back next year and we are currently researching some sightseeing tours to see the "real" Jamaica.

We have been to Belize twice. Loved it. Both times we saw the mainland. The area right outside of the port area is not the nicest of areas. However...the country is beautiful. Unfortunately the cruise port is located in the worst area of the city. Yes...in some areas of belize City it's dirty and poor. But the people of this country are wonderful.

Plan your excursions in Belize or any new port you visit. You would not get out of a cab in Harlem NYC or North Philly and just walk around... plan your experience. We have used Island Marketing twice. Loved them. They showed us all around their beautiful country. Their office is right through the international port. Very easy and safe.

Every country, state, or city has its bad parts...I know the USA has MANY. There are many areas of Philadelphia or NYC that I will not go to...but that does not mean I do not go to the city. I just choose where to go and where not to go. I plan in advance.

Go and have a good time. Just do your due diligence.

We love Belize...and are looking forward to Cave tubing in July.

Martinique was by far the worst place that I have ever landed on. I'm sure that the island had some very nice areas but the neighborhood around the port had me looking over my shoulder the entire time. We did a quick walking tour then ran for the ship.

I did have an interesting experience in Nassau........With my DW doing some shopping in the downtown area I was frustrated trying to negotiate the streets & sidewalks in my wheelchair. I told her that I was going to head back to the ship solo and that she should continue on her shopping quest. I was within a couple of blocks of the port when some local grabs the rear of my wheelchair and wants to push me. I couldn't get him to let loose of the chair till I threatened to bash his skull in with the stylish cane that I had acquired at the straw market. Lesson learned for me no solo wheelchair trips in foreign countries.

Montego Bay, Jamaica for me. The only time we were left alone was when we were at Margaritaville. But as soon as we walked out, it was on again. Was with a group of 9 that included three grown men and still, the little hairs on the back of my neck stood up. Just didn't have a great experience.

Vicki

For me, it was Ensenada on our third cruise. We sailed out of San Diego, and when we told local San Diego people we were going to Ensenada, they started giving us warnings and horror stories.

The rest of Mexico, we felt very safe and wouldn't even think twice about going to the Caribbean Mexican ports.

Second would be Colon, Panama, where even Carnival had warnings in the Fun Times stating that if you weren't on a tour to stay in the port area. If Carnival felt it necessary to warn passengers, I had to wonder how bad Colon is.

It is bad. Police on motorcycles with the cop on the back carrying a machine gun. We walked one block up and a taxi pulled over and offered us a tour. We get in the taxi drive about 50 ft and the motorcycle cop pulls up, bangs on the trunk of the car. Driver tells us to get out. Cops started harassing him about something. We high taled it back to the port! I'll never go there again!!

My family was planning on going on the Magic next month beacuse we haven't been to GCI yet. We decided to go on the Miracle because we weren't sure about Jamaica...hmmm....now that I have been on these boards for a few months I get the feeling that it is just the wrong place at wrong time for some of the violent encounters vacationers have encountered. I am not here to bash any countries but now that I am a mother to a young child these kinds of things seem to matter a little more. Anyone have a port that stands out in your mind that you would NOT return to?

Bayonne & Miami

Wow I can't believe how many responses there have been :eek: The one I am most shocked was the poster that mentioned Curacao as being the dirtiest/slummiest. That is the port we were most looking forward to on our cruise next month!

Admittedly, we were at this port quite some time ago, about 20 years, so maybe it has gotten better, I dont know. All I know is that when I was there, it was not at all like St. Maarten.

Progresso.

I'm not afraid of people, but I am of slick, slimy, ooze. I wake up pretty early each morning and run on the Sports Deck. Coming into Progresso I felt like Kevin Costner in WaterWorld...it was so very, very INDUSTRIAL and there was an aroma in the air. Not pleasant. Not like a beach bbq, that's for sure. Nothing beautiful to be seen. I was a little freaked out to be passing all the equipment. I thought, "Where is the pretty island?"

I always take ship-sponsored beach excursions (I almost always travel solo, and this seems like the smartest thing for me to do). I knew it was going to be a "BAD DAY" when a Carnival Rep met me at the end of a crazy-long pier and told me I could still do the excursion (a beach party day), but the water wasn't safe. Not because of big waves, but just "not safe".

After a little back and forth, I got my money refunded. Discovered the rocky beach was literally next to the pier. The water was seriously oily. I didn't as much as dip a toe in it.

I have no idea if that beach is picture perfect on some days but I won't book a cruise with Progresso on the itenerary. The story I make up in my head is that Progresso is a stop invented by someone for some reason. It's not one I'd ever want to make again.

We did the Mystic Mountain, Bob sled excursion (Zip line is here to) in Ocho Rios. 10 minute ride to the mountain and was on the skylift within 30 minutes of getting off the ship. 100% safe without question.

Now after this excursion we went back to the ship and then decided to walk to town. Once you leave the gate the locals are a bit pushy but saying "No Thank You" nicely and continuing to walk worked quite well.

We stayed around other people (tourists) while in town and did'nt venture off by ourselves. after we were done we walked the 300 yard "gauntlet" as it is called back to the ship.

We are going back next year and we are currently researching some sightseeing tours to see the "real" Jamaica.

Kevin, you hit the nail right on the head. Maybe it's my personality, but If I don't want to be bothered, I look them straight in the I and say, "No, I am not interested" firmly but nicely and never stop walking. I cannot remember ever having to say that more than once.

Even in Belize, my least favorite port, I NEVER felt unsafe. Just annoyed and irritated by some of the pushy vendors outside of the port terminal.

Ensenada we did in 2010/January. Loved it. We went an easy 10 blocks inland, walked many streets, never really saw other cruisers and foind great deals and really wonderful food related corner street vendors. It may have been some of the best regional food I ever had. Then we headed back down towards the water and wandered through the fish market...awesome!!!

People were nice, I hope it hasn't changed so much, we enjoyed and felt we saw more of the real Mexico here than ever on our two stops in Cozumel. Now, I know Coz is an inland off of Mexico, but the opposite less inhabited side is so beautiful and rustic.

Atleast for us, anything within 1/4 mile of the ship is ignored.

Our least favorite is definitely La Romana, DR. The area we had to walk through to get to town was definitely scary. I am shocked to hear about all the negative reviews of Jamaica. We vacation there (land based) at least once or twice a year and never had a problem. We love Jamaica and have made friends with some wonderful Jamaicans, granted I have never been to Jamaica on a cruise. I guess it is just like anywhere you go, there are good and bad people everywhere.

Ocho Rios by far. I wouldn't even get off the ship.
I don't get it. You didn't even get off the ship.

We don't get off the ship in Jamaica, Belize or Nassau...
Boy that makes for a lot of staying on the ship. How do you feel about Mexico or Belize?

Admittedly, we were at this port quite some time ago, about 20 years, so maybe it has gotten better, I dont know. All I know is that when I was there, it was not at all like St. Maarten.

haven for state sponsored prostitution and one of the largest brothels in the world. When not working there it's over to St Maarten when the 3 months visa expires.

Martinique was by far the worst place that I have ever landed on. I'm sure that the island had some very nice areas but the neighborhood around the port had me looking over my shoulder the entire time. We did a quick walking tour then ran for the ship.

I did have an interesting experience in Nassau........With my DW doing some shopping in the downtown area I was frustrated trying to negotiate the streets & sidewalks in my wheelchair. I told her that I was going to head back to the ship solo and that she should continue on her shopping quest. I was within a couple of blocks of the port when some local grabs the rear of my wheelchair and wants to push me. I couldn't get him to let loose of the chair till I threatened to bash his skull in with the stylish cane that I had acquired at the straw market. Lesson learned for me no solo wheelchair trips in foreign countries.

:eek:Thank goodness you purchased that cane!!

So as two young women, traveling alone, should we NOT be getting off the boat in Ocho Rios? We were going to do an excursion through Carnival but now y'all have got me freaked right the eff out! LOL

And this is why i hate Threads like this... Someone is now scared to go somewhere b/c people feel so scared in Jamacia Yawn... Its not a scary place if you use your head. Your in more danger in any port City in Flordia than any Port on your crusie.

Nassau- we had a lady walk up to us and put necklaces on us and then demand money. Later that evening we were leaving Senor Frogs and watched a very nice car with rims pull up and park. Two men got out and watched people wandering back to the ship. It was suspicious.

Roatan- we got a taxi to Tabayana beach. The driver stopped at the top of a large hill overlooking the beach and told us to get out. He wanted us to see the view. It wouldn't have been as scathe if there wasn't a man sharpening a machete. At the beach there were men singing and they wouldn't leave us alone until we paid them. There were children trying to sell us things and people scoping out items left on beach chairs, towels etc.

St. Thomas- we were approached by men in a parking lot for a ride in their van. They obviously weren't a taxi company. We went into the city and quickly grabbed a taxi after a man started yelling at me saying I was attractive and asked my husband if we were together. He started to follow us. The taxi driver said she would take us back to the ship but kept driving around the block looking for more people. She then tried to drop us off 5 minutes away from the ship until some of us refused to exit at that location. Watch out for the driver named America. She even screamed at all of us over the loudspeaker.

Archived