What port have you felt the most uneasy??

beanersmom

there's a wide gap between feeling uncomfortable, and something bad actually happening. i haven't read yet, or missed, where something bad happened to someone on this thread.

some people just feel uncomfortable when out of their element.

http://www.travelblog.org/Topics/5764-1.html

Carnival Shore excursion robbery -Jamaica

It was our first and last time in Montego Bay in February on the Magic. Even though our excursion was great I wouldn't even think about walking on our own any further than the shops at the pier. No one bothered us but we went straight to the bus, to the beach and back. When you see the port built like a fort with barbed and electrical fencing it's there for a reason. It's too bad because it could really be a beautiful place, but they are very poor and you see garbage all over the island. We won't be going back.

Ocho Rios is the port where I felt unsafe. We were there in 1989 and avoided sailing on western Caribbean itineraries until 2003--when we found a Princess cruise that skipped Jamaica. We did end up there again in 2010 on a Panama Canal cruise but stayed on the ship.

I am surprised to hear all this about Jamaica. We were there 3 times last year and probably 10 times all together and never felt unsafe. It is poor to be sure, but I have not experienced anything unpleasant there.

I have not felt uncomfortable at any port but there are definately some I would not need to see again: Belize, Roatan and Tunis. I love Mexico but would not be going on excursions except for Cozumel just now...

When you see the port built like a fort with barbed and electrical fencing it's there for a reason. It's too bad because it could really be a beautiful place, but they are very poor and you see garbage all over the island. We won't be going back.

We were in Ocho Rios 25 years ago and our resort (and all the others) were built like forts with barbed wire, concrete wall around the perimeter, including down the beach and into the water.

When anyone got near the concrete fence you could hear (and see, I guess they were standing on tables) them calling for you to "come over to the wall! get your hair braided!"

It was awful. It was even worse when we ventured out on excursions.

It would be real nice if folks could manage the huge distinction between Port area/Town

and the vast Country beyond? :confused:

Most of the folks expressing bad experiences about "Belize" are griping about Belize City.

Those who take Ship's Tours beyond the grimy city, experience a whole nuther beautiful world

somewhere in the 8,860 square miles of the Central American countryside beyond the city

Is that too difficult a geography lesson? ...Port? City? Country? ..all different? :confused:

It would be real nice if folks could manage the huge distinction between Port area/Town

Is that too difficult a geography lesson? ...Port? City? Country? ..all different? :confused:

Well thank you for the geography lesson. Since you have been so helpful with your knowledge,

I'd like to impart some to you. The ship does not dock in the countryside.

It docks at the port in the city. That is where the experience begins for the visitor.

Yes many will go on tours that whisk them out of the port area. Most won't.

Port, city,country... See that wasn't so hard. You're welcome.

Well thank you for the geography lesson. Since you have been so helpful with your knowledge,

I'd like to impart some to you. The ship does not dock in the countryside. ===> :eek:

It docks at the port in the city. That is where the experience begins for the visitor. ===> Seriously?

Yes many will go on tours that whisk them out of the port area. Most won't.

Port, city,country... See that wasn't so hard. You're welcome.

I'm fully aware of the circumstances Sir.

I was trying to make people aware (not yourself, since you are obviously above others, intellectually)

that they shouldn't assume/fool themselves that their experience within a half-mile radius of the ship's dock

was "Belize" but rather Belize City.

There are some ports where ship's tours are almost de rigeur.

Belize is obviously one of them....but who in N.America can afford such expense?

Don't gripe about the whole country when all you've seen is the dock area

Most of the folks expressing bad experiences about "Belize" are griping about Belize City.

Those who take Ship's Tours beyond the grimy city, experience a whole nuther beautiful world

somewhere in the 8,860 square miles of the Central American countryside beyond the city

Is that too difficult a geography lesson? ...Port? City? Country? ..all different?.

But cruises stop a port! If they stopped in the country it would be different. There are many people who cruise who do not take excursions for various reasons and I dont think that its unreasonable for people to ask questions about a port's safety, especially if it is young women travelling alone or people travelling with their kids. I also dont think that getting all snarky about a geography lesson is particularly helpful to people looking for a little insight about where they are going on vacation.

Most people know that the the port city is grimy, but many people who have posted on this thread have had bad experiences in places other than the port city. Folks are just answering the OP's question.

In MoBay there is a nice terminal building that has lots of shops in it and an area next door that is just a walk away. We almost never leave the terminal area anymore because everything we want is right there.

We usually wait until the tours have pretty much departed before we get off the ship, do a little shopping and then have a drink at one of the bars in the terminal before spending a really quiet day on an almost empty ship.

Sounds perfect and exactly what I am looking for. Even if the shops and drinks are overpriced, we are just looking for a couple of souveniers and not to have to worry about the baby getting kidnapped. :eek:

My family was planning on going on the Magic next month beacuse we haven't been to GCI yet. We decided to go on the Miracle because we weren't sure about Jamaica...hmmm....now that I have been on these boards for a few months I get the feeling that it is just the wrong place at wrong time for some of the violent encounters vacationers have encountered. I am not here to bash any countries but now that I am a mother to a young child these kinds of things seem to matter a little more. Anyone have a port that stands out in your mind that you would NOT return to?

Jamaica

You're all freaking me out here! I am getting scared. We are going on a Carnival day tour when we are in Belize. :(

No worries, I traveled solo and went on a day tour with a group from the ship. No problems at all. Have fun!

There are certain parts of Jamaica to avoid, but if you are going to Ocho Rios, the only thing you will have to deal with is being bombarded by the locals trying to sell you something. A polite "no thank you" seemed to work for us.

My advice would be to go with your instints and if you are at all concerned by any port, then only book excursions through a reputable tour company or just stay on the ship and enjoy the views from the Lido deck.:)

Good thing I didnt pick the cruise going to Jamaica. :eek: Im a chicken to begin with, well since i had a child. I wont be venturing off on my own in Nassau, Ill just spend the money and book an excursion with the ship...

Belize by far was horrible. I thought it was the armpit of the Caribbean. Some people from our group had a positive experience but they had excursions that wisked them away as soon as they stepped foot on land. Others of us will never step foot on that place again. I would rather stay on the ship.

I agree with this. We don't like Belize because of the uneasiness, not to mention the poor service on our excursion.

Happy Cruisin!!

Cheryl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived