Busted Open the Funnel Cup

cdamion

A 22 year old male colleague still lived at home with his 2 brothers and father. His mother died when he was around 12. All four of them started tossing their loose change into a cup for a Vegas trip. The cup was in a closet. It eventually overflow and they kept tossing their change into the closet. They had to put a board across the entrance because the change started flowing out. They didn't need the money so they kept throwing more and more in. They went to Vegas without using any of it and just kept tossing it in. Then it happened. The coin that broke the camel's back. The weight caused the floor to give out. He never said how much was there but it had to be over $10,000.

We used to have a Winnie The Poo ceramic bank, that was a little over 2ft tall. My husband started putting the new state quarters in it. A couple of months before he retired, in 2006, the bank was stuffed full. We decided to open it and start rolling coins. It was all he could do to carry it to the table to start counting. We also had $47 in gold dollars, $45 in Susan B Anthony's, and about $25 in Half dollars in the bank. But, in quarters, we had over $1800.00. That paid for a cruise. lol. We still have the other change, as I can't seem to bring myself to cash it in. Especially the gold dollars.

Now I have him put $1 a day, into a big plastic jar. At the end of each month we put that money away. We collected enough to pay for almost all of our excursions for our April Hawaii cruise. :D:

$190.67!!!!

Wow!!! what's the odds?..isn't that the same as the cost of a Carnival drink in a funnel cup...gratuity included.

:)

Too true. Luckily I just drink regular old mixed drinks which are much more reasonable.

Ever since we got back from our cruise last month, we've been thowing change into the Monkey Head bank for spending $ for the one we booked for Jan. 2013. At this rate, we might break even on what the darn monkey head cost! :rolleyes:

I have one of those 5 gallon water bottles from the water coolers things.

When the water delivery guy came to my office one day (about a year ago) I asked him if he could leave an extra empty behind. I wish I could say it was filled to the brim; it's not. But the morning of every payday, my hubby and I empty into it whatever we have in our wallets, be it coin (no pennies, separate jar for those) or occassionally some green too.

It's just extra walking around money (WOM as someone coined the phrase) for tips.. specialty coffee.. maybe a slot or two. We have 15 more weeks.. nope.. nope.. 14 weeks and 6 days to save! :D

My parents did this for a year and saved only DIMES and said they had close to 500 bucks after the year. We decided to try it now granted we cheated when I got paid I would go get a roll of dimes and add that as well. When we cruised we had close to 700 bucks made the cruise even more fun!

Ever since we got back from our cruise last month, we've been thowing change into the Monkey Head bank for spending $ for the one we booked for Jan. 2013. At this rate, we might break even on what the darn monkey head cost! :rolleyes:

Love the idea of a monkey head bank :cool: I use a boring old tupperware container...

Hmm, may add to the collection - disco ball and monkey head banks. I can work to fill up a trio of them!

The one thing that slowed me was during the holidays, I had to fill a milk carton with coins for a charity I am a member of, so all of my coins went to that for about 6 weeks until I filled the carton - 100% goes to the charity so I didn't mind at all.

When I met my DH 21 years ago he had several large Tupperware containers full of coins. At first glance they appeared to be mostly pennies. We put them in the closet and moved them to our new house the year after we got married. We finally got sick of them taking up space and brought them to the bank 2 years ago. Over $1500.00 bucks worth. Pays to save your pennies.

I have a ceramic jar with a cork lid that says Cruise Fund on the front. It was part of a set. I also have

Time

Lust

Wild Oats

Fantasies

Split Decisions

Snide Remarks

College Fund

The only one I fill is my Cruise Fund. The other ones just collect dust.

Great use for a funnel cup! Mine still sits on the kitchen counter...

I save change too (no pennies though) but just in a quart size canning jar. It used to add up a lot faster when I was waitressing. ;)

We have one of those too, bur DH won't part with the money in there until it is filled to the top and he can't put another coin in there. I know it won't be filled by July 1. I will tell you something about those water coolers....................it isn't fun when you have to empty that big thing :eek:. I don't. I tell my husband, "You wanted to fill it to the top, then you bring it to the bank." He happily does. Guess will have to keep filling it for another vacation. :)

Isn't beneath you to save pennies? and water coolers from walmart wow?

We use those silver beer buckets for change saving. Last time we took it to the bank, it was almost 3/4 full, $1511!!!! That was awesome, but this time I'm waiting till it's full to change it in.

The funnel cup sounds fun though. I may need more than 1 though to get to where I can pay for an entire vacation! ;)

When it comes to cash, it seriously burns a whole in my pocket! And since I have to do laundry with quarters those go too. But I do have a savings account I started when I was saving to buy my apartment that is now my vacation fund. It automatically withdraws $45 every week (used to be $40, but recently increased it) and that's my vacation fund. Paid for my cruise in full and will have about $750 in spending money when I cruise in 6 weeks! I love when I get home and I actually have more money than a normal week in my regular account, since I didn't spend anything on food, gas, going out during the week, just saved money!

Archived