djandbj

Athens tour company

Can't say enough about Private Greece Tours. As a group of 8, we were all impressed with the knowledge, humor, and professionalism of this group from booking to being dropped off for our 12 day cruise. Bravo!!

Welcome to CC!

Our group of ll just finished a private tour Oct. 30th arranged by Nikos for a full day of Athens. Our Driver Demetris picked us up from the ships port in a lovely Mercedes Benz van right on time. He took us to all the highlights of Athens including the Acropolis and many more spotse giving us background information along the way. He spoke excellent English, and not only was he very informative about his country he was very funny and friendly which our group loved.t The Acropolis was amazing and the view from the highest point in Athens was beautiful. It rained for a bit so rather than us get out in the rain to see the changing of the guards which happens on the hour he timed it so it was not raining. We loved our typical Greek lunch at a spot he recommended which was very reasonable and enjoying. He dropped us off in plenty of time to catch our ship. Our group also are seasoned travellers and find the ships tours too expensive and very crowed with too much time spent getting many people on and off the bus. We always do the private tours and feel we have much more fun which after all is what it is all about. I highly recommend Private Greece Tour company arranged by Nikos Loukas.

Just back from an NCL Grand Med.

We used Athens By Taxi. Awesome!!

Only did the half day-5 hours but oh boy did we get a complete tour..

I would certainly recommend them in a heartbeat.

They are earned and deserved. Based on our experience with Nikos, the owner, and Makis, our driver, you will be extremely happy with yourself for making a smart decision to use Private Greece Tours.

We arranged for a full day tour of Athens and a day trip to Delphi. Makis was outstanding. He planned itineraries for the two days adapting to our interests. At the conclusion of the two days, we knew that we had made the very most of our brief two days which would have been impossible on our own or with group tours.

Makis has an immense knowledge of Greek history and easily shares insights into the Greek people and culture. As a driver, we felt very comfortable and safe with him both in the city and in the countryside. He was fun to travel with and a willing and cheerful photographer. Finally, Makis was an excellent planner that perfectly timed our arrival at the changing of the guards, found those special restarants and snack shops for us, that provided bottles of cold water and kept us well informed of times and meeting places when we were on our own at historical sites. Where he could not serve as a guide, he gave us directions and information that made it all simple, and he thoughtfully provided us with a phone if we needed to reach him. Needless to say, we were made to feel special and Makis masterfully left us with an extremely positive experience.

We were picked up the third morning at the very incovenient hour of 4:15a.m. by another cheerful and helpful driver who made it pleasant and easy to get to the airport to return home.

Working with Nikos to make the arrangements was a breeze. He was always prompt with his replies to our emails/questions. It is apparent that he has built a customer focused business with a very professional and knowledgeable staff and organization.

Another vote for Greece Private Tours. Our group of 12 had a great day planned out by our drIver Dimitris. There were protests scheduled for the day that we were there in October but he managed to get us to all the sites we wanted to see while having to avoid blocked off roads without a problem. Their rates were much less expensive than the ship excursions and we loved the smaller groups.

And if there's the slightest doubt of their honesty or customer service I'd like to share this story with you. When we got back to the ship I realized I didn't have my camera. We didn't get home until over a week later and I wrote to Nikos Loukas, the owner, to see if they had found it, not having much hope. Sure enough, they had my camera. Dimitris had found it between the seats and didn't know who it belonged to and they were waiting for someone to claim it. After many emails back and forth we found the best way to send it back to me. You can only imagine how wonderful it was to get it back. You can't replace the memories.

I also HIGHLY recommend Private Greece Tours. You won't be sorry!

If you go to the Acropolis Museum, do the third floor before you do the first two. The third floor is were all the best stuff is located.

We were very impressed with our day spent with Dimitri of Athens by Taxi. His sister, Potoula, arranged everything, including several changes we wanted to make to the standard itinerary. Dimitri worked around a scheduled protest and various closing hours to make sure we got to see everything we wanted at the least amount of inconvenience. We were with him literally all day--8 AM at the ship, to 5 PM at the airport hotel, and he couldn't have been more informative, interesting and accommodating. It wasn't an inexpensive day but to make the most of only one long day in Athens, it was well worth it.

We were very impressed with our day spent with Dimitri of Athens by Taxi. His sister, Potoula, arranged everything, including several changes we wanted to make to the standard itinerary. Dimitri worked around a scheduled protest and various closing hours to make sure we got to see everything we wanted at the least amount of inconvenience. We were with him literally all day--8 AM at the ship, to 5 PM at the airport hotel, and he couldn't have been more informative, interesting and accommodating. It wasn't an inexpensive day but to make the most of only one long day in Athens, it was well worth it.

We have used this same company several times, most recently in October. This time we finally met Paul (Dimitri and Potoula's father) who started the company. With this family you cannot go wrong.

My husband and I did a full day tour with Private Greece Tours (Nikos Loukas) last May and thought it was fantastic. We had specific things we wanted to see and they were able to tailor the day to fit our interests. Our driver, Makis, was incredibly friendly and knowledgable and coordinated well with our guide, Myrto. The two of them changed the order of our itinerary a couple of times to accomodate unexpected crowds and weather to make sure we had the best experience possible.

When Myrto realized that we did not know a lot about the history of the Acropolis but were very interested in it, we spent some extra time in the New Acropolis Museum and she taught us all sorts of interesting tidbits that really made our visit across the street to the ruins extra special when we went there later in the day.

The personal attention and focus that we were given on this tour really made the day worthwhile. This was probably our favorite excursion on our two week cruise.

I highly recommend Private Greece Tours if you're looking to book a tour!

We too used Private Greece Tours in November on our Celebrity Equinox port stop. OUTSTANDING - start to finish.

Great communications with Nikos.

Perfect new (I think) Mercedes bus.

Our driver, Dimitris, was fun, very knowledgeable, and even tried to reach us some Greek.

The tour was planned and executed with precision. All the right stops for just the right amount of time.

My highest recommendation.

I concur with the above comments about Private Greece Tours and Nikos. The operation is very professional and provided my group of 17 with a full day very informative tour of Athens and Cape Sounion. I would recommend them to anyone who will be spending at least one day in Athens.

I organized a group of 12 with Nick at Private Greece Tours. This was a very professional experience from online booking to the actual tour in November while on the Equinox. Our guide showed us the requisite sites with recommendations on how best to observe, spoke about their culture gave us hints on what to see on the Greek Islands coming up. I would use them in a minute on any return visit.

We sailed on the Celebrity Equinox in November 2012. I reserved a mini-bus for the two of us, plus 10 others from CruiseCritic rollcall. Nikos was very professional, giving me ideas of what would be available to see in Athens. I couldn't have been more pleased with our tour...Nikos sent me in detail on how to find our driver/guide the day we arrived...and sure enough, Nicholas was waiting there for us with a sign and away we went...(he said he appreicated us getting off the ship so quickly - so that we could be one of the first groups to the Acropolis.) When we got to the sight, he handed me a cellphone with his number programed so when our group was ready he would be right there to pick us up...we had more than enough time there..and he was right as we headed back to the mini-bus there were hundreds of passengers from the cruise ships making their way to the sight..so thankful Nicholas got us there before that mess!

Nicholas then took us to the Parliment House to watch the changing of the guards..and then showed us some other sights as we made our way to the Olympic Stadium (giving us plenty of time to take pictures) We then headed to the Temple of Zeus and up the mountain to get some breathtaking pictures of the city of Athens. Nicholas then took us to the Anicent Market where we were able to see the ruins and/or get something to eat..we ate a Maiandros (wonderful food, great drinks...very nice waitstaff). When we were finished there our tour ended at the National Archaeological Museum..had about an hour or so there, plenty of time to enjoy their treasures!

We had the best tour and tour guide, we couldn't have had a better day in Athens...our only regret was that it was over so quickly. It was so nice having Nicholas as our guide, he loves his city and made us love it too! I would highly recommend using Private Greece Tours.

I work in the Travel Industry so I understand the need for customer satisfaction. I was more then satisfied with the level of care we received from Private Greece Tours and more so with our driver Makis. If you need a tour in Greece, Private Greece Tours Is your way to go! We went to Athens on a Holland America cruise line (Ms Noordam) in October 2012; We luckily got the best driver we could have asked for. His name was Makis! We got so lucky to have Makis take us around Greece. He made us feel extremely comfortable and we felt like we were part of his family! He was so passionate about his job and was so loyal to his country. The stories he told us, the places he took us, the history we learned and the time we spent was unforgettable. We had an amazing time and cannot thank Private Greece Tours enough.

We were with a small group on the Mariner of the Seas Mediterranean cruise October 20th to November 2nd, 2012. It was a wonderful experience in every way.

We booked our own tours which included “Private Greek Tours” with Nikos Loukas in Athens. We were fortunate to get Demitris as a driver and he was fabulous. He exceeded our expectations in every way. He was knowledgeable about Greek History and historical sites as well as facts about Greece through the Olympics and today. He quickly helped us map out the best route to visit the sites important to us and we saw them all. We gladly would have stayed another day with Demitris as our driver but alas, the ship was sailing.

My wife and I found Nikos Loukas and Private Greece Tours through a website and review like this when we were planning a trip to Turkey and Greece last fall. At the end of an incredible vacation it was great to arrive in Greece and put ourselves into the hands of responsible and knowledgable people. Our guide and driver, Sakis, was patient, open and friendly and exactly what we needed. He was waiting for us when we left The Windstar and took us to our sightseeing locations, our hotel and even our homeward bound flight. He had great suggestions, fascinating information and complete candor about what's going on in Greece and Athens. He even fed us great pastries, courtesy of his wife. We had never relied solely on Internet listings before in booking travel, but we were happily surprised and pleased by the personal and professional services we received. We recommend them to you. And ask for Sakis.

Polwee

We had Nikos from Private Greece Tours on our honeymoon trip to Greece and he was outstanding! He was super patient with us as it took forever to disembark, he was flexible with what we wanted to do that day and was so knowledgable!

I highly recommend Private Greece Tours and if you can get Nikos be sure to book right away because he is awesome!

In Athens, we used http://www.privategreecetours.com. Their vans were new and in impeccable condition. The guide was polite, punctual and neat. He was VERY knowledgeable and managed to get us to each place before the crowd. He also managed to get us to timed events like the changing of the guard of the unknown soldier right on time so we didn't have to wait around a lot and he positioned us so we could see the President of Greece when he was driving into his office. It was also very nice of him to have a cooler full of water for us. When traveling with children especially, these small things really do make the trip. The rate was reasonable and their responsiveness to my e-mails was very quick. We had NO surprises and felt very prepared and stress-free when meeting with our guide. We 100% would use them again.

Nikos wants our Credit Card number to book, we were never asked for this before. Not sure what to do. Hmmmm.....

I concur with the above comments about Private Greece Tours and Nikos. The operation is very professional and provided my group of 17 with a full day very informative tour of Athens and Cape Sounion. I would recommend them to anyone who will be spending at least one day in Athens.

Hi- I have just finished booking this tour for Sept this year. Just wondered if you had any difficulty in finding your driver at the port?:confused: Have heard that Piraeus port can be very busy- hoping that we will dock at terminal A to make it easier. We will be a group of 12- van big enough? Any other comments on your trip would be welcome- thanks

Nikos wants our Credit Card number to book, we were never asked for this before. Not sure what to do. Hmmmm.....

Hello- I have also been dealing with Nikos from Private Greece Tours.

When he asked for the CC info etc, I went onto some Roll Calls and did find someone who had given her info (back in Nov 2012) To date, she has not had any charges made or encountered any problems . Today, I finished my booking with the requested info. They are the number 1 rated tour company in Athens, with excellent TA reviews etc-, none the less, I will be monitoring my future CC bills to make sure there are no charges being made :)

This is apparently a new requirement in Greece. You can read more here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803348

My apologies. I read your post quickly and thought you said you were asked for your passport number, not your CC number. :o The passport topic has been a hot one recently.

Hello- I have also been dealing with Nikos from Private Greece Tours.

When he asked for the CC info etc, I went onto some Roll Calls and did find someone who had given her info (back in Nov 2012) To date, she has not had any charges made or encountered any problems . Today, I finished my booking with the requested info. They are the number 1 rated tour company in Athens, with excellent TA reviews etc-, none the less, I will be monitoring my future CC bills to make sure there are no charges being made :)

We used Private Greece Tours last September. Demos was our Guide/driver. He was great. We took the eight hour tour. We saw more and paid half as much as our dinner mates who took the three hour ship tour. I highly recommend them. Yes, we gave them our credit card info and had no problems at all. It was one of the highlights of our 20 day Cruise. If you are interested in Athens, you will be so happy with this company.

I may have to ask my Credit Card company for one of those temporary limited numbers to use just once for this because I am wary of sending the number overseas. Am contemplating this. I have been traveling to Europe for many years now and never had to do this before.

I may have to ask my Credit Card company for one of those temporary limited numbers to use just once for this because I am wary of sending the number overseas. Am contemplating this. I have been traveling to Europe for many years now and never had to do this before.

I gave them my cc # a few months ago & haven't had an issue. I think they're asking for them now since people are not showing up & not canceling. This way they lose out since they believe someone is showing and end up without a booking. Previously there was no penalty at least now they know you're serious is you're giving your cc#

We used Private Greece Tours last October as well for a full day private Athens & Cape Sounio tour for my husband, myself & my sister. Makis was our driver/guide & was fantastic!!! Just as their web site says, they were totally flexible & having been to the Acropolis previously, we instead asked to visit the new Acropolis Museum which was amazing. Makis was so much fun & extremely knowledgeable & passionate about all aspects of Greek life, history & their culture. This tour was THE highlight of our entire cruise and made our day in Athens very special!!! We would strongly recommend Private Greece Tours & would definitely use them again. The pick up at the port was perfect & we were dropped back at the pier exactly when we had asked.

I set up a tour with Private Greece Tours for 12 of my friends and family while we were on the MSC Fantasia visiting Athens. Our tour guide, Demitris was a very fun guy with a great sense of humor and lots of knowledge on the best times to see all the major sites. We were about 15 minutes ahead of the cruise ships tours allowing us to have some great photos without the massive crowds and getting into the sites very quickly. The highlight of the day was the changing of the guard, and Demitris provided lot's of background info that helped us understand this awesome ceremony.

All in all, great company that is extremely responsive to any questions, very willing to tailor your tour to what you want and very knowledgeable about everything in Athens. I have no reservations recommending this company should you ever have the opportunity to visit Athens and best of all, this personal service is at a better price than the cruise ship will provide you. My thanks to Nikos and Demitris for a wonderful day in Athens.:)

Any idea of how much the Nikos Loukas tour costs? I'm trying to establish a budget for this trip and whether it would worth putting together a shared grop tour or doing the ship tour.

270 euro up to 4 people and 450 euro up to 12 people for a full day tour

I second everything that Ishan said, two posts above. I coordinated the group of 12 from our Roll Call and found Nikos to be very responsive to all emails. Our guide, Demitris was fun, friendly, enthusiastic, and spoke very good English.

All in all, I feel that we got a much better value than taking a ship tour, and we were able to maximize our time in port. Yes, you could save money and take the train, but the people we met who had done this didn't arrive at The Acropolis until we were on our way out...and the lines/crowds were massive by then!

I highly recommend Private Greece Tours.

I toured Athens twice last year with greektaxi / pk travel. They were awesome, professional and their pricing was great. I've stayed in touch with them because they are such great people and i look forward to seeing them again one day

We had a stop in Athens Greece for our Mediterranean cruise May 2013. From the start stellar customer service from Nikos , he answered all my questions . Private Greece Tours was our first private tour ever and on our cruise , boy did they set the bar. Freida was our guide and she and our driver were on time and very knowledgeable of the city. Freida took us to Planka and suggested a awesome Greek restaurant . I promise to go back to Athens and I will be booking my tour with Private Greece tours and I suggest you do to.-

Another shout out for Private Greece Tours. We used them two weeks ago and had a marvelous time. We found them as soon as we exited the terminal and had a wonderful day. They set a high bar for the tours in our other ports!

Edited by NextOne

I toured Athens twice last year with greektaxi / pk travel. They were awesome, professional and their pricing was great. I've stayed in touch with them because they are such great people and i look forward to seeing them again one day

So happy to hear this. We booked with them.

I think you'll be happy that you booked with them. We used them several weeks ago, our driver was Manos. We had a wonderful day and I would not hesitate to use Private Greece Tours again in the future.

So happy to hear this. We booked with them.

Hi,

Just returned from a cruise on the celebrity silhouette and used Greece taxis/PK travel for a days tour of the sights in Athens.

Nick, one of the family members drove us around in his new Mercedes e class for 7 hours and took us to a traditional Greek taverna for an excellent lunch.

Nick and his family company are excellent in every department from, initial correspondence with his sister Potoula to all arrangements prior to the tour.

I am sure you will be delighted with their service for your private tour!

Stuart

We are looking for pick up from the port and then about a half day's touring outside of Athens with drop off at the airport no later than 3PM. Would you recommend Sounion or Corinth? Or something else? Would prefer not to take the ship's Athens city tour with airport drop off as have been in Athens twice recently. THANKS

Hi,

Just returned from a cruise on the celebrity silhouette and used Greece taxis/PK travel for a days tour of the sights in Athens.

Nick, one of the family members drove us around in his new Mercedes e class for 7 hours and took us to a traditional Greek taverna for an excellent lunch.

Nick and his family company are excellent in every department from, initial correspondence with his sister Potoula to all arrangements prior to the tour.

I am sure you will be delighted with their service for your private tour!

Stuart

Thanks for the review Stuart. I will review when I return.