How can one keep a Meet & Greet to it's original purpose?

GmaPajama

Interesting post. We have attended several meet and greets and I have in fact organised a couple. I am not aware of any I have been on having these problems so if people were organising private excursions it was fortunately done quietly. On the last cruise we had arranged with a group to do several private excursions, but the person organising them had done all the arrangements in advance and asked us in an email to stay behind at the meet and after everyone had gone we could all introduce ourselves. This worked well.

I have on this second cruise (where I was organising the Meet) come across a new problem. I had organised this one in exactly the same way as on Volendam last year with no problem. I had kept the uprunning names list on the roll call, arranged the meet and greet and told everyone the last date on which I had to advise HAL of the final numbers and would they please confirm before that date that they were going. (We had lost quite a few who had cancelled). I also said that if anyone wished to give me their cabin number I would undertake to advise them of any change (changes have happend twice in the past on meet and greets we attended - once on HAL once on another line). As I know some people do not like to give their cabin numbers on the roll call I gave my email address (probably where it went wrong, and someone is sure to berate me for that).

About three days before we were due to leave two different people wrote to my email address asking to join the meet. They had not been on the roll call and furthermore one of these was not actually registered on cc. I therefore (taking time from packing etc) had to write a polite but firm email saying roll calls were for people who had contributed to the roll call to meet one another and that it was not fair on either HAL or cc to accept this. One person was quite abusive. They can only have got my email address from someone else if they were not cc registered.

More was to come. Outside the cabin when we got back from boatdrill was a note saying that this gentleman hoped I had his name down for the meet, his cc regd no was ............ and that he was looking forward to meeting everyone. This gentleman too had not been on the roll call. Before my shower and getting ready for dinner I had to write another polite but firm note .......... This left me wondering if it was all worth it and also wondering what was going to happen at the actual meet. Would these people plus even perhaps more just turn up. DH was deputed to walk around everyone looking for people without labels and sending them in my direction.

The meet and greet actually went very well, or at least so people told me and yes I will probably volunteer at some future cruise to do it again.

I am wondering however if anyone else has had this problem and how they dealt with it. Also what do people think about the cabin number request.

We had some people show up at our Noordam meet and greet, they said they had been "lurking" on CC. The soon to be infamous Mr. And Mrs. Lurker....:rolleyes:. I could not have cared less that they were there! Who cares? How is it only ok for registered roll callers to participate? Many people lurk here, for some reason :rolleyes: afraid to post. Maybe they don't know how, maybe they don't want to get flamed, maybe they are worried about online privacy- who knows. But an extra few stragglers can't possibly be a bad thing- we're all on board, the show has begin- who cares? My biggest worry, as I stated below, when I organize the meet and greet is that no one will show up.

I do see people talking about shore excursions during the roll call, but I ignore them because I don't want to get stuck with people I may not like, and I don't know- I always thought it violated a TOS somehow. But I DO follow advice about places to go, hotels with beaches, etc.

They can only have got my email address from someone else if they were not cc registered.
I'm not sure why you believe that. The Roll Call forums state:
You can browse and read our FAMOUS ROLL CALLS, but you'll need to REGISTER to post.
Any lurker can read the Roll Calls.

Personally, I believe welcoming lurkers is the polite thing to do. They certainly aren't going to join if members are off-putting. I really don't see the M&G as a 'reward' or 'privilege' for belonging to the CC. :rolleyes: YMMV

We often cruise with some well-known and highly respected CC'ers. They look like their pictures in their avatars. I can't begin to count how many times we've been sitting with them when a lurker comes up, introduces themselves and complements them on how helpful they've been.

I do see people talking about shore excursions during the roll call, but I ignore them because I don't want to get stuck with people I may not like, and I don't know- I always thought it violated a TOS somehow.
No, this doesn't violate the TOS. In fact the e-mail new members receive after registering states:
Our famous Roll Calls are for people who are going on a specific cruise to meet each other before cruising, and discuss all aspects of their cruise. This is *the* place to find others who might want to share a shore excursion or tour in a port of call. Roll Call forums are available for most major cruise lines and ships.
The bolding is mine.

I will say that after sharing a shore ex with some others a few years ago we've not doing so again. We were with another couple we already knew as part of a van of about 10 or so. Of the six others there were 4 who rude, inconsiderate and/or were inappropriate in their behavior. It is one thing to be on a large bus with 4 people like that, but stuck with them all day in a van? :eek: We're now only doing private tours with people we already know. Of course that doesn't always ensure a good time. :rolleyes:

This is a great topic, and not one that has been raised repeatedly. It's made me think a bit more about certain things.

For NoobCruise, in particular...Many folks, myself included, think of the meet and greet as a nice way to put faces with the names we've seen on the roll call while preparing for a cruise. We've done several long cruises now, and this topic has made me more aware that for those who plan private excursions, the M&G is NOT the place to collect funds, solicit new people to join the excursions, etc.

That being said, the roll call IS the place for such things. Some cruisers really enjoy private tours (fewer people, sometimes better pricing, more personal service), and if they want to attempt to get a group of people together for a tour, the CC roll call is the perfect place to say, "We're doing this on our own", give some details of the planned excursion, number of people who can be included, and then ask people to email the organizer PRIVATELY to make arrangements to join the tour. This keeps those not involved in the tour from being caught up in planning emails that are not of general interest to the rest of the roll call.

To reduce the risk of someone getting my email that is trolling for addresses, I always post it in the message as (example only here) nannerbananner at yahoo dot com, rather than writing the email address in the usual way.

On some cruises, we have attended or held separate meetings for groups of up to 16 people who signed up to do a particular private excursion. At that time, we discuss meeting time and place for the port, pay any fees due the organizer, etc. It works really well, and gives those on the private tour another chance to get together and deal with particulars.

This thread has really opened my eyes to the whole issue, and I will try to dissuade folks on the private tours I arrange from in depth discussions at the M&G. In addition to being kind of rude to the cruise line (especially if officers are within earshot), it's exclusionary to have side discussions going about a bunch of private tours during the M&G. That in itself kind of defeats the purpose of the M&G.

Thanks for explaining :)

I'm not sure why you believe that. The Roll Call forums state: {You can browse and read our FAMOUS ROLL CALLS, but you'll need to REGISTER to post.} Any lurker can read the Roll Calls.
Maybe that's what it says, but it's not true. Log out and try read any roll call and you'll see:

There have been no posts in the last 30 days in this forum.

Try using the controls below to search for any older posts that may exist.

If a lurker picks up a RC link while reading the main forum and tries to go there directly they see:

You need to be logged in or a registered member to view this page. Log in below, or become a Cruise Critic member: Register now!

Edited by jtl513

We had some people show up at our Noordam meet and greet, they said they had been "lurking" on CC. The soon to be infamous Mr. And Mrs. Lurker....:rolleyes:. I could not have cared less that they were there! Who cares? How is it only ok for registered roll callers to participate? Many people lurk here, for some reason :rolleyes: afraid to post. Maybe they don't know how, maybe they don't want to get flamed, maybe they are worried about online privacy- who knows. But an extra few stragglers can't possibly be a bad thing- we're all on board, the show has begin- who cares? My biggest worry, as I stated below, when I organize the meet and greet is that no one will show up.

-------------------

I am the more the merrier type, so I actually hope lurkers show up. I know at one time I read the CC boards constantly but never posted..just did not feel comfortable I guess ( which is Nuts because I volunteered for Aol as a chat host and Time Warner as a Harry Potter board host ). The more you post , the less I feel that I am " onstage" when I type. :D

I also invited the HAL Facebook people..so my Cruise Critic M and G really is really not just Cruise Critic ( of course some people are from both areas )

I just want people, anyone to come..and for all to have fun.

Denise

For once I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to write this without coming off wrong (Normally I just type but....)

Anyway, in response to how to deal with people who've not joined the Roll Call, CC members, Lurkers, Non CC members, Fellow Passengers who walk up to the M&G, I say Come on in and join us:) The More the merrier!!

Seriously, that is exactly what I do from the moment I get in that line for the shuttle or taxi at the hotel to head for the terminal to board the ship,

I start singing the praises of Cruise Critic and inviting people to come and see what it is, who we are and to meet some of their fellow passengers, just like themselves.

Then, since I already have to meet with the Ship's On Board Event Planner to finalize the numbers attending, I just add a few more to the guest list, that way we have enough goodies for all.

I look at it this way, we can never have a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet if we do not have Cruise Critic members. To have Cruise Critic Members we have to get the word out to those who do not know who or what we are. If you shut out the lurkers, the fellow passengers and non joining Roll Call CC members.............I'll let you think on that one, but for myself, I prefer to have them joining us and enjoying their company.

I know that in my case at least on average, we have gotten at least 4-6 new CC members per cruise because we invited people from the hotel shuttle line, the terminal line and people just walking up to see why the Crow's Nest was roped off. Heck this last cruise we invited the folks in VA 4174 come up and join us and they joined CC before I even got home from the cruise (Love ya Beth and Bratt..er... I mean Brett!!):D

After all is said and done, what has it cost us (you and I as the host or hostess) to throw the M&G?? A couple of dollars for Name Tags?? I always bring extras so I always have more than enough:) It costs us nothing to show a little graciousness. The ship pays for the coffee, tea, cookies and any extras they feel like throwing our way.

the old Girl Scout refrain keeps going through my head as I type this, "Make new Friends, but Keep the Old" and that is what I always try to do, make new friends:)

I do not mean this post as a flame or an attack on anyone, please understand that. It is just that I think we all need to understand a little kindness or should I say graciousness can go a long way and make us friends we'd never have known we could have... Hope that makes sense....

Joanie

I really don't feel it is the place of the organiser to act as gate keeper. There are always no-shows at the event so a few lurkers will make no difference with regard to refreshments. CC should be welcoming and not try to exclude possible members.

Interesting post. We have attended several meet and greets and I have in fact organised a couple. I am not aware of any I have been on having these problems so if people were organising private excursions it was fortunately done quietly. On the last cruise we had arranged with a group to do several private excursions, but the person organising them had done all the arrangements in advance and asked us in an email to stay behind at the meet and after everyone had gone we could all introduce ourselves. This worked well.

I have on this second cruise (where I was organising the Meet) come across a new problem. I had organised this one in exactly the same way as on Volendam last year with no problem. I had kept the uprunning names list on the roll call, arranged the meet and greet and told everyone the last date on which I had to advise HAL of the final numbers and would they please confirm before that date that they were going. (We had lost quite a few who had cancelled). I also said that if anyone wished to give me their cabin number I would undertake to advise them of any change (changes have happend twice in the past on meet and greets we attended - once on HAL once on another line). As I know some people do not like to give their cabin numbers on the roll call I gave my email address (probably where it went wrong, and someone is sure to berate me for that).

About three days before we were due to leave two different people wrote to my email address asking to join the meet. They had not been on the roll call and furthermore one of these was not actually registered on cc. I therefore (taking time from packing etc) had to write a polite but firm email saying roll calls were for people who had contributed to the roll call to meet one another and that it was not fair on either HAL or cc to accept this. One person was quite abusive. They can only have got my email address from someone else if they were not cc registered.

More was to come. Outside the cabin when we got back from boatdrill was a note saying that this gentleman hoped I had his name down for the meet, his cc regd no was ............ and that he was looking forward to meeting everyone. This gentleman too had not been on the roll call. Before my shower and getting ready for dinner I had to write another polite but firm note .......... This left me wondering if it was all worth it and also wondering what was going to happen at the actual meet. Would these people plus even perhaps more just turn up. DH was deputed to walk around everyone looking for people without labels and sending them in my direction.

The meet and greet actually went very well, or at least so people told me and yes I will probably volunteer at some future cruise to do it again.

I am wondering however if anyone else has had this problem and how they dealt with it. Also what do people think about the cabin number request.

This is not a problem at all..I'm shocked as don't understand why you would turn anyone away! :confused: And then to write a polite but firm note to someone telling them it is only for CC members is an insult..

I'm not sure why you believe that. The Roll Call forums state: Any lurker can read the Roll Calls.

Personally, I believe welcoming lurkers is the polite thing to do. They certainly aren't going to join if members are off-putting. I really don't see the M&G as a 'reward' or 'privilege' for belonging to the CC. :rolleyes: YMMV

We often cruise with some well-known and highly respected CC'ers. They look like their pictures in their avatars. I can't begin to count how many times we've been sitting with them when a lurker comes up, introduces themselves and complements them on how helpful they've been.

For once I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to write this without coming off wrong (Normally I just type but....)

Anyway, in response to how to deal with people who've not joined the Roll Call, CC members, Lurkers, Non CC members, Fellow Passengers who walk up to the M&G, I say Come on in and join us:) The More the merrier!!

Seriously, that is exactly what I do from the moment I get in that line for the shuttle or taxi at the hotel to head for the terminal to board the ship,

I start singing the praises of Cruise Critic and inviting people to come and see what it is, who we are and to meet some of their fellow passengers, just like themselves.

Then, since I already have to meet with the Ship's On Board Event Planner to finalize the numbers attending, I just add a few more to the guest list, that way we have enough goodies for all.

I look at it this way, we can never have a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet if we do not have Cruise Critic members. To have Cruise Critic Members we have to get the word out to those who do not know who or what we are. If you shut out the lurkers, the fellow passengers and non joining Roll Call CC members.............I'll let you think on that one, but for myself, I prefer to have them joining us and enjoying their company.

I know that in my case at least on average, we have gotten at least 4-6 new CC members per cruise because we invited people from the hotel shuttle line, the terminal line and people just walking up to see why the Crow's Nest was roped off. Heck this last cruise we invited the folks in VA 4174 come up and join us and they joined CC before I even got home from the cruise (Love ya Beth and Bratt..er... I mean Brett!!)

After all is said and done, what has it cost us (you and I as the host or hostess) to throw the M&G?? A couple of dollars for Name Tags?? I always bring extras so I always have more than enough:) It costs us nothing to show a little graciousness. The ship pays for the coffee, tea, cookies and any extras they feel like throwing our way.

the old Girl Scout refrain keeps going through my head as I type this, "Make new Friends, but Keep the Old" and that is what I always try to do, make new friends:)

I do not mean this post as a flame or an attack on anyone, please understand that. It is just that I think we all need to understand a little kindness or should I say graciousness can go a long way and make us friends we'd never have known we could have... Hope that makes sense....Joanie

Mary Ellen & Joanie...You both have said it very nicely..There is no reason not to invite those who have not joined CC to your Meet & Greet if they have contacted you..As a matter of fact Cruise Critic encourages this!

I've organized Meet & Greets & have told those who are cruising with Friends to invite them even if they are not members of CC...That might encourage them to join CC when they get home...All I need is a count for HAL..

Never have I turned anyone away! Turning someone away sounds like this is an elitist private club..:o

It is not..

As far as giving those on the roll call my e-mail I set up a separate e-mail for Cruise Critic & ask that they put in the subject box: "Cruise Critic Meet & Greet" so I don't think it's spam & delete it..Most always give me their Cabin No's.. I explain to them that occasionally an Officer will invite members of our group to other functions & that will help HAL officers to contact them..

Betty

I agree that "lurkers" and others who are interested should be made welcome. I also talk about CC in the terminal and throughout the cruise to those who show an interest.

As a hostess or even a participant I am not nor do I choose to be a gatekeeper. It is a social gathering and not an invitation only event.

I know that in my case at least on average, we have gotten at least 4-6 new CC members per cruise because we invited people from the hotel shuttle line, the terminal line and people just walking up to see why the Crow's Nest was roped off. Heck this last cruise we invited the folks in VA 4174 come up and join us and they joined CC before I even got home from the cruise (Love ya Beth and Bratt..er... I mean Brett!!):D

I do not mean this post as a flame or an attack on anyone, please understand that. It is just that I think we all need to understand a little kindness or should I say graciousness can go a long way and make us friends we'd never have known we could have... Hope that makes sense....

Joanie

I totally agree. I get so many questions with my lanyard and always "talk up" CC.

I really don't feel it is the place of the organiser to act as gate keeper. There are always no-shows at the event so a few lurkers will make no difference with regard to refreshments. CC should be welcoming and not try to exclude possible members.

I agree with you 100%...:):):)It is not an exclusive club..

As mentioned in my privious post Cruise Critic encourages us to talk up Cruise Critic..Every time I log in it says..

Quote: Is a First-Time Cruiser sailing with you on your next cruise? Now that you've introduced them to cruising; why not invite them to join Cruise Critic today! Unquote

Even if they are not first time cruisers, I talk about Cruise Critic..

Cruise Critic guidelines also state that "anyone is welcome to participate in our community"..

That to me also includes our Meet & Greets... Sometimes the Cruise line will post a Cruise Critic sign & I've had people ask what it's all about..I explain to them that we are not critics & this is not a session to voice complaints...It's for us to meet fellow cruisers who we've been talking with on-line..

Cheers...Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Too much work,this is no vacation...There was less planning for the Royal Wedding.

We did a fifty day segment on the HALs world cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Sydney and we were at the first Meet and Greet and huh.....I didn't get the impression at all that it was about setting up private tours. That was already done via the cruise critic roll call. One passengers did discreetly collect money from people that signed up for a private tour but it was just becuase she paid in full with her credit card. I thought the M&G organizers did a great job. My husband and I met several people from the roll call and enjoyed talking with them.

Thank you, Mary Ellen and Joanie, for crystallizing my thoughts.

DW and I have encountered surprisingly few jerks on HAL cruises. Who knows what goes into the "secret sauce" that makes a HAL cruise what it is. Among the ingredients, imho, are the type of people who gravitate to the HAL experience, the relaxed atmosphere, the absence of piped-in muzack and squawking announcements, the abundance of quiet corners where one can get away, and the elbow room that HAL's "loose pack" approach affords. Whatever, the overall effect is mellowing.

The typical HAL passenger, in our (DW's and mine) experience, is gracious and welcoming. Why should we get concerned about gate-crashers unless/until they become disruptive? I don't get it.

I also would like to add that someone from HAL/Noordam ( and thank you very much!! ) must like the CC M and G's.

When I talked to the event planner she found a reservation for our M and G already...placed by HAL! Someone from HAL booked our spot already for us...they had the date, place, and time ( except the time was for " all day" ) .

All she had to do was switch the reservation to my name, add the guest count, and change the time so we were not booked all day in the Crow's Nest.

Now, that is customer service and I am impressed!!!

So, somewhere someone does want CC to have M and G's or they would not have done this!!..and someone from HAL must read the roll calls, or facebook..again, I thank them!

Denise

I am also formally requesting all lurkers that are sailing the Noordam May 18, 2012( out of Italy) to please join us for a Meet and Greet. It will be at the Crow's Nest on May 19,2012 at 10:00am! Please come and meet your fellow cruisers, we are a nice bunch !!..

If you just " show up" you will be just as welcome as the others that RSVP..I mean that 100%. Hopefully you will consider it, at least.

I figure that if people lurk the roll calls they are probably lurking here too..thus the invite!!

Denise

I also would like to add that someone from HAL/Noordam ( and thank you very much!! ) must like the CC M and G's.

When I talked to the event planner she found a reservation for our M and G already...placed by HAL! Someone from HAL booked our spot already for us...they had the date, place, and time ( except the time was for " all day" ) .

All she had to do was switch the reservation to my name, add the guest count, and change the time so we were not booked all day in the Crow's Nest.

Now, that is customer service and I am impressed!!!

So, somewhere someone does want CC to have M and G's or they would not have done this!!..and someone from HAL must read the roll calls, or facebook..again, I thank them!

Denise

Denise, Just an FYI for you if you want to send a Thank you to that Beautiful Event Planner. Her name is Renee Puthu Keril. She is also the wife of Cruise Director Shane Michaels (they are newly weds, having just gotten married December 12, 2011). They both love Cruise Critic and bend over back wads to help us out:)

So anyone who has these 2 on their ship is in for a real treat!! They are Top Notch!!

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

I agree with you 100%...:):):)It is not an exclusive club..

As mentioned in my privious post Cruise Critic encourages us to talk up Cruise Critic..Every time I log in it says..

Quote: Is a First-Time Cruiser sailing with you on your next cruise? Now that you've introduced them to cruising; why not invite them to join Cruise Critic today! Unquote

Even if they are not first time cruisers, I talk about Cruise Critic..

Cruise Critic guidelines also state that "anyone is welcome to participate in our community"..

That to me also includes our Meet & Greets... Sometimes the Cruise line will post a Cruise Critic sign & I've had people ask what it's all about..I explain to them that we are not critics & this is not a session to voice complaints...It's for us to meet fellow cruisers who we've been talking with on-line..

Cheers...Betty

Just adding my vote along with you and the others. Why exclude anyone?

I've organized several meet and greets and would never consider telling someone they couldn't come:eek: I always bring a few extra name tags in case someone asks or arrives at the last minute :)

I totally agree, and also with Joanie's post above yours. This is not an exclusive club.

Gosh! Lots of DRAMA here about such a simple thing.

To my knowledge this is the first time the current subject has been discussed and there have been a lot of interesting and thought provoking comments made. Everyone has been cordial and there is a good back and forth going. You seem to be displeased with the discussion, which has been going very well IMHO.

I tried to keep this comment as drama free as possible. How did I do?;)

This has been an interesting thread for me.

I started the roll call for a cruise to Alaska this fall and tonight asked if anyone wanted a M&G it did not occur to me it would be a difficult thing to do. When I asked that question I had not yet found this thread.

We were on a Panama Cruise in 2007 and went to a m&g. There was great socializing and the Hotel Manager was in attendance gave us great information and offered us a tour of the ship - we took that the following day and I am sure got to see parts of the ship most cruisers do not see. There were no negatives the meeting was in the vein it was intended meet all the people you have been talking to for months and we had a great time.

The tour was one of the highlights of our trip and we appreciated the time the staff took.

Because of this positive experience I had no hesitation in starting our roll call.

I agree EVERYONE is welcome at a meet and greet who cares if they are SIGNED in or not!

I have attended a couple of M&Gs and the biggest problem has been finding the group at the chosen location. I remember one time scouring the entire ship for the M&G and never locating it :confused: This is not conducive to the "more the merrier" spirit, which I applaud.

From my perspective, the biggest deterrent from posting on roll calls and attending M&Gs is the "private tour snobs" who make repeated demeaning comments about not wanting to be "herded like sheep". I often wonder whether some of these people threaten to sue when the ship leaves them behind...but that's "reverse snobbery", I suppose :D:rolleyes: I prefer HAL shorex because I know exactly what I'm paying for, well in advance, and I don't have to worry about the logistics.