How can one keep a Meet & Greet to it's original purpose?

GmaPajama

For all of you who are planning to host a M&G, I hope you have a well-attended and enjoyable event!

My meeting last month on the Noordam was my best ever! The refreshments offered were more elaborate than usual, probably because I have hosted these events on the Noordam (and Zuiderdam) many times, and the HM knows what to expect from me.

Please do not forget to tip your bartender and servers. I usually do this before the meeting, because when they are done, they leave, and it's hard to track them down.

You should also send thank-you notes to the Hotel Manager and any officers/staff who might have contributed significantly.

Candy

• 2 years later...

Donna...thank you for this thread from two or so years ago! Things like this always come in handy. Kazu found it for me as this has come up on the Roll Call for our upcoming Noordam cruise.

Hope you and Jon are well...would love to meet up again on a cruise soon. Sorry we missed you in Martinique last winter.

Donna...thank you for this thread from two or so years ago! Things like this always come in handy. ...

Yes! Even though two years old the original question and most replies are still pertinent. I think the M&G organizer has a hard job since they need to try to keep the meetings to their original purpose and tell tour organisers to wait until the meeting ends to take care of business.

When a person tries to monopolise the meeting with their complaints it is up to the members of the M&G to somehow suggest the person take up the matter later in private.

Edited by NMLady

Donna...thank you for this thread from two or so years ago! Things like this always come in handy. Kazu found it for me as this has come up on the Roll Call for our upcoming Noordam cruise.

Hope you and Jon are well...would love to meet up again on a cruise soon. Sorry we missed you in Martinique last winter.

Two things I've done when setting up a meet & greet was to discourage those who participate from discussing problems or private tours by posting the following on our Roll Call thread:

[Quote

“I also have a personal request, only because of an incident which occurred on another cruise during a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet Reception..

This is a social occasion only for us to get to know each other as well as the Ship's Officers.. On board problems or complaints should be addressed in private with the appropriate Department Head & not at this get together..”

In addition, also put another note on our Roll Call thread:

“ Since much of HAL’s revenue comes from Hal sponsored tours that are sold on the ship, dicussions of Private Tours you have booked when HAL Officers are present is discourteous & should be done discretely, after the HAL hosted M & G is over..” Unquote

It's always worked & all participants were respectful of the Officers who were present...

Edited by serendipity1499

Two things I've done when setting up a meet & greet was to discourage those who participate from discussing problems or private tours by posting the following on our Roll Call thread:

“I also have a personal request, only because of an incident which occurred on another cruise during a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet Reception..

This is a social occasion only for us to get to know each other as well as the Ship's Officers.. On board problems or complaints should be addressed in private with the appropriate Department Head & not at this get together..”

“ Since much of HAL’s revenue comes from Hal sponsored tours that are sold on the ship, dicussions of Private Tours you have booked when HAL Officers are present is discourteous & should be done discretely, after the HAL hosted M & G is over..” Unquote

It's always worked & all participants were respectful of the Officers who were present...

Glad to see that someone is doing this .. on many M&G, the only discussion was tours and thus we quit going to them as that is NOT the purpose.

harry

[Quote

\

great minds think alike :

I have posted something like this - obviously from our witches and wizard cruise :p:

As I emailed HAL to finalize our M & G numbers it got me thinking about our meet and greet.

I am hoping that we will have officers/hotel manager/whomever there and in light of that it never hurts to go over the 'etiquette

After the official meet and greet the 'tour organizers' will stay behind to answer any questions about tours, etc. This is the time to discuss our tours. Any issues or questions can be dealt with after the official meet and greet. The wicked witches have promised not to bring their broomsticks

The Organizers of these tours assure me that they will wait until the M & G. is over to go over their tours..let's enjoy meeting each other. Or as my TA said (and I agree), please don't rub HAL's nose in it that we are not doing HAL tours.

I also have a personal request, because of an incident which occurred on another cruise during a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet Reception..

This is a Social Occasion only for us to get to know each other as well as the Ship's Officers..On board problems or complaints should be addressed in

private with the appropriate Department Head & not at this get together

I do hope this post doesn't come off wrong and please forgive me if it does. Our meet and greet is not the time to ask for special favours or shoot out criticisms.

It's the time to enjoy each other's company, appreciate that HAL has hosted this for us and just have a great time.

Betty and Jacqui...I'm in your corner 100%. It is embarrassing for the person(s) organizing the Meet and Greet to have the social gathering turn into a complaint session.

I happened to think today, our Meet and Greet is on Friday, October 24...we embark on October 19 and all of the days until Friday are long port days...so we shouldn't have much of an issue with people organizing private tours discussing them in front of Officers. Only Ponta Delgada and Horta remain after that.

I've organized many, many Meet and Greets...we have 200+ days and I've done all but two. And in that time, I've never had anyone talk about private tours nor air their complaints to the Officers. Lucky.

Edited by innlady1

[Quote

Way to go serendipity, I applaud you for your efforts. Because of my bad experience with several large roll calls, it is hard for me to get involved in any.

My personal opinion is that roll calls for specific cruises are for meeting fellow cruisers who enjoy the same thing we do, cruising. Not for planning every conceivable private tour there is.

If I start reading roll calls that do that, I quit reading. I understand it is my choice but never thought Meet and Greets were set up to be tour operators.

DLopez the organizer of our M&M posted this along with the dates of the get togethers for our upcoming cruise. Sad, that you have to remind everyone not to complain when someone is hosting your party. And that it is rude to discuss tours at the M&M.

"Please remember that these Meet & Mingles are to get to know each other and to meet the staff and crew of the ship. Mingle rather than sit in one spot. This is a social occasion and is NOT the time to recruit people for tours or to collect money or to complain to the personnel. Enjoy getting to know one another.

Holland America has taken the time to set up these gatherings for our Cruise Critic members, so please attend and let them know you appreciate it."

On the Prinsendam SA Cruise, all tour leaders had the room numbers and full names of each member taking their tour and they set up a time to get the money out side of the M&M.

My personal opinion is that roll calls for specific cruises are for meeting fellow cruisers who enjoy the same thing we do, cruising. Not for planning every conceivable private tour there is.

If I start reading roll calls that do that, I quit reading. I understand it is my choice but never thought Meet and Greets were set up to be tour operators.

I agree with this 100%.

I enjoy the valid information that I learn from fellow cruisers on the cc boards.

In the past I have "met" on a roll call some lovely people. However I now do not participate in roll calls or Meet and Greets. It does seem that there is no longer sharing ideas of the places to visit on the roll call, but just setting up of private tours that we are not interested in. We either do a HAL excursion or tour independently after a lot of research. We love cruising on HAL, and as yet fortunately have not found anything to complain about! We do not look for things to complain about either and do not want to be involved in a Meet and Greet should it turn into a complaint session.

We cruise to enjoy the experience and see new places.

Thanks for sharing this! We have done several HAL cruises and it bothered us that private tours were discussed at the M&G's. Even had someone bring a white board in and post all the tours during the meeting. Thought this was very disrespectful. We quit going to M&Gs because of this. Glad that the innlady has already asked that private tours not be discussed during the M&G for the Noordam Oct. 19th sailing! We are on starting 9/27 - will be interested to see if the other M&G's follow this policy

Way to go serendipity, I applaud you for your efforts. Because of my bad experience with several large roll calls, it is hard for me to get involved in any.

I agree with your thoughts. Roll calls used to be fun ways of sharing the excitement and anticipation of the upcoming cruise. The last one I was on was not like this at all. It was disappointing. Maybe it depends on the the itinerary and the type of person it attracts. This group wasn't friendly, possibly because we didn't participate in their tours.

I've attended a number of meet and greet events and have yet to see anyone attend from the cruise line. Therefore it made no difference what was or was not discussed. IMO the roll calls main purpose is the organization of private tours and that is how we bonded with other passengers. If cruise officers attend I agree any discussion of tours should be on the QT and I think cruisers would be respectful of the crew.

Edited by sammiedawg

Have to keep in mind that there are probably many CC M&G host that had hardly any experience hosting a RC..

Being the M&G host is the job most folks want someone else to do. Host learn by doing and reading CC threads like this.

This is not directive but I often question the many complaints on how the RC's were run.? Why didn't the complainer host the RC and run it their way?

Thanks to who ever hosted a RC and M&G. There are many CC members who have profited from your volunteerism. Thanks.

Have to keep in mind that there are probably many CC M&G host that had hardly any experience hosting a RC..

Being the M&G host is the job most folks want someone else to do. Host learn by doing and reading CC threads like this.

This is not directive but I often question the many complaints on how the RC's were run.? Why didn't the complainer host the RC and run it their way?

Thanks to who ever hosted a RC and M&G. There are many CC members who have profited from your volunteerism. Thanks.

I can answer that, because most of the people I have run into that want to be the leader of a big Meet and Greets, have very dominant personalities and it does not behove you to even try to take them on. Also seem to me that the CC members that are heavily involved with Meet and Greet do not post on the regular boards, I know the ones we have had don't, they seem to be only wrapped up in just Greet and Meets.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I've attended a number of meet and greet events and have yet to see anyone attend from the cruise line. Therefore it made no difference what was or was not discussed. IMO the roll calls main purpose is the organization of private tours and that is how we bonded with other passengers. If cruise officers attend I agree any discussion of tours should be on the QT and I think cruisers would be respectful of the crew.

I agree with you. People keep mentioning "the real purpose of the M&G." Shouldn't the purpose of the M&G be what the people attending want it to be, rather than the vision of one person?

I don't see anything wrong with discussing private tours at a M&G. Perhaps if any officers in attendance hear the talk, they can bring feedback to the shore excursions people and let them know what kind of tours people actually want to take.

I never heard all of this angst about ruining HAL's bottom line when people were schlepping on wine by the case. Now all of a sudden it's offensive to discuss how you're going to spend your money when you're OFF the ship? Does that mean I can't discuss looking forward to a meal at a restaurant in port? What about if I plan to buy a watch on shore and not in the shop? When does it stop?

I agree with you. People keep mentioning "the real purpose of the M&G." Shouldn't the purpose of the M&G be what the people attending want it to be, rather than the vision of one person?

I don't see anything wrong with discussing private tours at a M&G. Perhaps if any officers in attendance hear the talk, they can bring feedback to the shore excursions people and let them know what kind of tours people actually want to take.

I never heard all of this angst about ruining HAL's bottom line when people were schlepping on wine by the case. Now all of a sudden it's offensive to discuss how you're going to spend your money when you're OFF the ship? Does that mean I can't discuss looking forward to a meal at a restaurant in port? What about if I plan to buy a watch on shore and not in the shop? When does it stop?

With regard to the shore meal, I doubt if HAL would care. Remember, you have already paid for your meal on the ship so it saves them money if you eat ashore.

I agree that the M & G means something different for each person and no one person should dictate the purpose. That being said, it is common courtesy to not undercut their bottom line by using the event they have provided a space and refreshments for as a forum for organising private tours. This can be done quietly at the conclusion of the gathering.

Edited by sapper1

With regard to the shore meal, I doubt if HAL would care. Remember, you have already paid for your meal on the ship so it saves them money if you eat ashore.

Yes, but if I'm ON the ship, I am more likely to go to an upcharge restaurant, order something to drink at a bar, or order something to drink with or after dinner. My point was that off the ship, the money I spend doesn't benefit the cruise line. And other discussions about the shortening of port hours reflect that HAL has realized this.

I agree that the M & G means something different for each person and no one person should dictate the purpose. That being said, it is common courtesy to not undercut their bottom line by using the event they have provided a space and refreshments for as a forum for organising private tours. This can be done quietly at the conclusion of the gathering.

So, to take this further, we shouldn't discuss private shore excursions in the Lido either--after all, HAL provides the food and the space. ;)

They know people take private excursions and/or just get off the ship and walk around. There's nothing wrong with talking about it.

Edited by hrhdhd

My take - I have been on 11 cruises since joining CC. I may have missed one M&G in that time, and I organized several.

For the most part, the M&Gs I have attended have included at least a few of the ships staff, most recently the Captain, Hotel Director, and Beverage Manager.

HAL is generously providing us with a place to meet and an opportunity to get to know each other and (hopefully) some of the ships staff. In return, I believe we should show them respect by not being "in their face" about problems or private excursions. If the Hotel Director asks me if I have had any problems I would answer, but set up a meeting later for any discussion if warranted - the M&G is not the place for one person to have an extended conversation with one of the staff, they are there to meet everyone.

In the same way if people want to gather in a small group and discuss quietly a private excursion that is fine. I don't think that the tour organizers should set up a table with information, tickets and so forth. By the same token any announcement that tells people on a private excursion to see a particular person should be avoided while the staff is present.

The M&G should be about what the people attending want it to be, but at the same time we should respect our hosts - HAL.

Edited by richwmn

I agree 100%. Its just common courtesy (which is not so common these days unfortunately).

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

Why don't they just rename the M&G something like "HAL Staff Introductions for Cruise Critic members" or similar? From there if people want to set up other arrangements for a time at a bar, lounge, area, etc. to specifically discuss excursion XYZ or ABC it is known when that topic will be covered.

I agree with those that people should be free to discuss whatever they want at a meet and greet and not be the vision of one domineering person, but I understand not being rude to your host as well if they are providing space and refreshments, as well as the time commitment by higher up onboard staff.

So just rename the M&G what you actually WANT (Staff Intros to CC members) it to be and go do that, and then have separate times for excursions meet ups?

My take - I have been on 11 cruises since joining CC. I may have missed one M&G in that time, and I organized several.

For the most part, the M&Gs I have attended have included at least a few of the ships staff, most recently the Captain, Hotel Director, and Beverage Manager.

HAL is generously providing us with a place to meet and an opportunity to get to know each other and (hopefully) some of the ships staff. In return, I believe we should show them respect by not being "in their face" about problems or private excursions. If the Hotel Director asks me if I have had any problems I would answer, but set up a meeting later for any discussion if warranted - the M&G is not the place for one person to have an extended conversation with one of the staff, they are there to meet everyone.

In the same way if people want to gather in a small group and discuss quietly a private excursion that is fine. I don't think that the tour organizers should set up a table with information, tickets and so forth. By the same token any announcement that tells people on a private excursion to see a particular person should be avoided while the staff is present.

The M&G should be about what the people attending want it to be, but at the same time we should respect our hosts - HAL.

That says it all. After all, it's just common sense, courtesy and respect. We all have that - right?

I completely agree with this very reasonable post.

I've never yet been in a M&G where people set up a table or make announcements about private tours, although I've read it has happened....I don't think it's the "norm" nor should it be done. If four or six people want to have a quiet discussion among themselves about tour logistics, I cannot imagine any problem with this on HAL's part.

But then, I've been called "boorish" for suggesting this is okay, so perhaps I was raised by wolves. :cool:

Also, no HAL officers were at the M&G we held on Westerdam for our Eastern Med cruise, nor did the ship provide anything other than a place to meet. (No refreshments).

Upon re-reading some of the earlier comments (which I'd forgotten), I also wanted to address this:

Quote Sorry. Not 26 CRUISES, but 27 SHIPS. I have been on nearly 1,400 cruises in my career.You need to re-read your own post. Shorex is generally the #3 MONEYMAKER on a cruise ship. But it is not the #3 PROFITMAKER on a cruise ship.

<SNIP>

The average breakdown on REVENUES on a cruise ship, largest to smallest are:

1. Passage

2. Art (until the recent financial downturn)

3. Shorex

4. Boutiques

5. Bars

6. Spa

7. Casino

8. Photos

No one is arguing that shore excursions are a money maker. But HAL should have to compete to earn our shorex $$, just like their boutiques have to compete with land-based boutiques for your business. I highly doubt many of you are "subsidizing" HAL boutiques just because you realize they are the (supposed) #4 MONEYMAKER for HAL. No....you shop for and purchase the things you want at the places that provide the best value, whether off or on the ship.

I've never heard anyone say it would be "boorish" to share shopping information ashore at a HAL-sponsored meeting. Why are shorex regarded as some sort of sacred cow that cannot be mentioned?

I started cruising in an era where shorex were something of an afterthought. Very few people took them, preferring to just arrange for a taxi ashore or something similar. Now times have changed and they are a big moneymaker..... so we all have to kowtow to HAL's bottom line, I guess, whether we agree the tours are good value or not.