How can one keep a Meet & Greet to it's original purpose?

GmaPajama

We have been on several cruises and have enjoyed participating in the roll calls. We have also enjoyed most of the "Meet and Greets" as it gives us the opportunity to match up names and faces and socialize on a sea day. We have always appreciated the fact that HAL has gone out of their way to provide a room, offer refreshments, and make members of the Cruise Director's staff as well as other staff members to meet with us.

Quite frankly I am perplexed about why some have their knickers in a knot over the fact that some folks have chosen to meet and discuss arrangments about private excusrions rather than ship sponsored excurisons. What is the big deal about that? Do all of our activites on and off the ship have to have HAL's blessing? We have also participated in and enjoyed slot pulls and cabin crawls which have been organized through the roll call boards with final arrangements made at the Meet and Greets.

The one time that I did do a slow burn was at our last Meet and Greet on the Noordam in late January. When we met and introduced ourselves to the so-called organizer, she immediatlely launched into a political discussion saying some things that were very inappropriate and hateful. Rather than call her out on her comments, which I probably should have done, I simply walked away. BUT, it did leave a sour taste in my mouth for the rest of the Meet and Greet.

I have attended a couple of M&Gs and the biggest problem has been finding the group at the chosen location. I remember one time scouring the entire ship for the M&G and never locating it :confused: This is not conducive to the "more the merrier" spirit, which I applaud.

From my perspective, the biggest deterrent from posting on roll calls and attending M&Gs is the "private tour snobs" who make repeated demeaning comments about not wanting to be "herded like sheep". I often wonder whether some of these people threaten to sue when the ship leaves them behind...but that's "reverse snobbery", I suppose :D:rolleyes: I prefer HAL shorex because I know exactly what I'm paying for, well in advance, and I don't have to worry about the logistics.

I mostly take the ships tours out of choice. We have also taken tours with our fellow CCers. I don't take it personally that some prefer private tours. My only complaint is when their tour planning is the only CC chatter. We are currently on a rollcall that probably consists of 60. The only chatting is about their tours. I am hoping that will change when everything is in place!

I have never heard of a M&G that couldn't be found. Just out of curiousity, where was it? Usually there aren't too many hidden places on HAL.

I usually invite people from the ship to our M&G, but have never had anyone come. I think they feel like they are imposing.

I think the best way to keep any meeting to its original purpose is to clearly state the purpose and lay out an agenda. This could be done using the roll call. You could say that this is a chance to talk with the ship's crew and learn from them - but not the appropriate venue for complaints. You could also let people know that once they've met the people they may be taking tours with, they could arrange to discuss said tours after the meet & greet. Then, if any one is out of line, you can just throw your drink at them and continue with the planned agenda.

Actually, the one time I set up the M&G, we were fortunate to have most of the senior officers of the ship join us, including captain, hotel manager, chef, etc., and one lady kept bringing the discussion back to some book she had read that proved all stewards are totally mistreated, abused, and underpaid. I stopped DH from throwing a drink at her, but now wonder why. Overall, it was a great chance to meet other passengers and some of the crew.

I think the best way to keep any meeting to its original purpose is to clearly state the purpose and lay out an agenda. This could be done using the roll call. You could say that this is a chance to talk with the ship's crew and learn from them - but not the appropriate venue for complaints. You could also let people know that once they've met the people they may be taking tours with, they could arrange to discuss said tours after the meet & greet. Then, if any one is out of line, you can just throw your drink at them and continue with the planned agenda.

Actually, the one time I set up the M&G, we were fortunate to have most of the senior officers of the ship join us, including captain, hotel manager, chef, etc., and one lady kept bringing the discussion back to some book she had read that proved all stewards are totally mistreated, abused, and underpaid. I stopped DH from throwing a drink at her, but now wonder why. Overall, it was a great chance to meet other passengers and some of the crew.

I hear you, but there is always going to be the sticky wicket, the person who says something for shock value, no?

The fact is, we can't control what people say or do, and I think no one knows that better than someone in the vacation/hospitality industry....

I hear you, but there is always going to be the sticky wicket, the person who says something for shock value, no?

The fact is, we can't control what people say or do, and I think no one knows that better than someone in the vacation/hospitality industry....

So true, so true! :D

Edited by innlady1

We have been on several cruises and have enjoyed participating in the roll calls. We have also enjoyed most of the "Meet and Greets" as it gives us the opportunity to match up names and faces and socialize on a sea day. We have always appreciated the fact that HAL has gone out of their way to provide a room, offer refreshments, and make members of the Cruise Director's staff as well as other staff members to meet with us.

Quite frankly I am perplexed about why some have their knickers in a knot over the fact that some folks have chosen to meet and discuss arrangments about private excusrions rather than ship sponsored excurisons. What is the big deal about that? Do all of our activites on and off the ship have to have HAL's blessing? We have also participated in and enjoyed slot pulls and cabin crawls which have been organized through the roll call boards with final arrangements made at the Meet and Greets.

The one time that I did do a slow burn was at our last Meet and Greet on the Noordam in late January. When we met and introduced ourselves to the so-called organizer, she immediatlely launched into a political discussion saying some things that were very inappropriate and hateful. Rather than call her out on her comments, which I probably should have done, I simply walked away. BUT, it did leave a sour taste in my mouth for the rest of the Meet and Greet.

I bolded your sentence about the discussion of private tours..No one is upset about people discussing private tours, but there is a time & place to do it & it should not be done when HAL is hosting the Meet & greet...On one of the World cruises a HAL Officer said that HAL may stop hosting CC meet & greets, because many of the people in the group only get together to discuss private tours & try to get others to join them.. They are ruining it for those of us who truly want to meet our fellow posters & HAL Officers.. Organizing slot pulls & cabin crawls are fine, as they involve doing these things on the ship..

Lets pretend you are a Auto Salesman & invited me to a party at your dealership to see your new cars.. While I was talking to you, another party attendee approached me in your presence & said that he could get me a better deal on one of your competitor's cars..Wouldn't you be put off?

HAL is also in the business to sell tours & when HAL is hosting a party, for Cruise Critic Psgrs, it would be rude to openly discuss ones private tours at this meeting..You are cutting into HAL's business..HAL knows some Psgrs. take private tours, but arrangements should be done after the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, not at a HAL hosted get together & certainly not in front of an Officer when you are taking away his business..

Re your organizer turning the M & G into a political discussion with hateful remarks..That too is un called for but I probably would have walked away too after becoming upset..

That you should bring it up is prophetic because... We're constantly getting hateful e-mails about one particular politician &/or his family, & have just been deleting them.... But today we received one about his Daughter which was so un-true..:rolleyes: I finally decided that it's time to stand up & be counted...Sent back the e-mail to our Friends & told them not to send any more political e-mails, as their facts were incorrect.. BTW I checked the facts out before I sent it back..Also told our Friends that we planned on voting for this person, whom they were trying to malign,:eek: as we've become so disgusted with the tactics of the party were registered in.. Perhaps we've lost these Friends but I had to do this to try to stop so many offensive e-mails which seem to be proliferating...

Cheers...:)Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I just read the second review which stated that Cruise Critic meet and greet members where getting special tender arrangements furnished by HAL for non-HAL private excursions in the South Pacific ( latest review on the Rotterdam) I assume this was requested by the meet and greet CC leader---isn't this crossing the boundary and little unethical??? Is it right? What will our meet and greet leader so on our upcoming Westerdam South Pacific cruise???

Big Green

I just read the second review which stated that Cruise Critic meet and greet members where getting special tender arrangements furnished by HAL for non-HAL private excursions in the South Pacific ( latest review on the Rotterdam) I assume this was requested by the meet and greet CC leader---isn't this crossing the boundary and little unethical??? Is it right? What will our meet and greet leader so on our upcoming Westerdam South Pacific cruise???

Big Green

I've done a number of meet and greets and arranged a number of private tours (we like the smaller groups and flexibility). I have NEVER asked that special arrangements be made for our group. We have never missed a tour nor been late whether it is a tender or not. I don't think it's necessary at all. Besides, if you are 5 minutes, no private tour is going to leave;)

To me, it's crossing the line. I've never heard of this before so I doubt your meet and greet leader will do it. JMHO

sapper1...No, I'm not at all displeased and am glad we have these discussions.

It's just that I take a very straight-forward approach to all of this and I'm surprised that it seems to get so complicated with so many "nuances".

Seems to me the organizer would simply set the rules, make an announcement of some sort and then keep things under control.

Maybe my world is just too simple.....probably... thank goodness.

PS: If I were an officer and these things were turning into complaint sessions, I'd also try and avoid them.

Also, I think if these CC groups keep pushing the envelope for special treatment of one sort or another, the Cruise lines will finally draw the line and stop responding. Last time I checked, this was not a lobbying group....yet.

Edited by DFD1

I have attended a couple of M&Gs and the biggest problem has been finding the group at the chosen location. I remember one time scouring the entire ship for the M&G and never locating it :confused: This is not conducive to the "more the merrier" spirit, which I applaud.

From my perspective, the biggest deterrent from posting on roll calls and attending M&Gs is the "private tour snobs" who make repeated demeaning comments about not wanting to be "herded like sheep". I often wonder whether some of these people threaten to sue when the ship leaves them behind...but that's "reverse snobbery", I suppose :D:rolleyes: I prefer HAL shorex because I know exactly what I'm paying for, well in advance, and I don't have to worry about the logistics.

Normally, most people post the location of their meet and greet right on the roll call. Most times (many times) the location for the meet and greets are in the Crow's Nest.

I, for one prefer private tours, but I don't consider myself a snob. We know what we are paying well in advance and there is no need to discuss at M & G's as they are all well arranged prior to the cruise. (that's why they created email;)) We would hardly sue the cruise line if we missed the ship - and we never had. The good private tour guides have a reputation to uphold and make sure we are back in plenty of time:)

sapper1...No, I'm not at all displeased and am glad we have these discussions.

It's just that I take a very straight-forward approach to all of this and I'm surprised that it seems to get so complicated with so many "nuances".

Seems to me the organizer would simply set the rules, make an announcement of some sort and then keep things under control.

Maybe my world is just too simple.....probably... thank goodness.

PS: If I were an officer and these things were turning into complaint sessions, I'd also try and avoid them.

Also, I think if these CC groups keep pushing the envelope for special treatment of one sort or another, the Cruise lines will finally draw the line and stop responding. Last time I checked, this was not a lobbying group....yet.

Most of this issues are new to me as well because I have always been lucky with Meet and Greets (although one small one did implode before it got off the ground).

I do find this all quite revealing for future reference though. Like you, I feel it should be simple. Just turn up and enjoy. I have made a few lasting friendships through Roll Calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Green

It may be crossing the line for the M&G people to request special treatment ... but it's even worse that HAL shipboard staff would approve it.:eek:

I started a roll call for our cruise. 2 people have joined and the 2nd one immediately said she was interested in sharing excursions with others :confused: We've already booked our excursions with HAL.

IMO Roll Call IS the place for organizing private, non-Hal tours. It was thanks to Roll Call members that we learned about some great private tours on our HAL Alaska cruise. But I wouldn't have dreamed of organizing private tours at the M&G.

I bolded your sentence about the discussion of private tours..No one is upset about people discussing private tours, but there is a time & place to do it & it should not be done when HAL is hosting the Meet & greet...On one of the World cruises a HAL Officer said that HAL may stop hosting CC meet & greets, because many of the people in the group only get together to discuss private tours & try to get others to join them.. They are ruining it for those of us who truly want to meet our fellow posters & HAL Officers.. Organizing slot pulls & cabin crawls are fine, as they involve doing these things on the ship..

Lets pretend you are a Auto Salesman & invited me to a party at your dealership to see your new cars.. While I was talking to you, another party attendee approached me in your presence & said that he could get me a better deal on one of your competitor's cars..Wouldn't you be put off?

HAL is also in the business to sell tours & when HAL is hosting a party, for Cruise Critic Psgrs, it would be rude to openly discuss ones private tours at this meeting..You are cutting into HAL's business..HAL knows some Psgrs. take private tours, but arrangements should be done after the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, not at a HAL hosted get together & certainly not in front of an Officer when you are taking away his business..

I don't happen to agree with your analogy. HAL is selling cruises; the tours are an "extra". To use the same analogy, it would be like attending an open house at a car dealership when you've already bought a car there and discussing with fellow purchasers some possible after-market extra add-ons that could be provided either by the dealer or by an independent source.

Where shall we draw the line? Is it rude of folks to take photos with their own cameras on board because they are taking away business from the ship photographers? :rolleyes:

Kidding aside, I of course agree with those who've said that no one should get up with a microphone and slide show and try to drum up business for private tours. However, if a few folks happen to have a "sidebar" discussion about their private tour arrangements during a M&G, I have no problem with that at all, and honestly I don't think HAL officers should either.

I started a roll call for our cruise. 2 people have joined and the 2nd one immediately said she was interested in sharing excursions with others :confused: We've already booked our excursions with HAL.

Is there something wrong with that? I think that the roll call, not the M&G should be the place to share info re private excursions.

...if a few folks happen to have a "sidebar" discussion about their private tour arrangements during a M&G, I have no problem with that at all, and honestly I don't think HAL officers should either.

Sidebar discussions during a M&G aren't the issue. The discussions that are being referred to are when the entrie M&G meeting is for private tour arrangments. And, in that case I can understand HAL's problem with it.

Like others, we always make our arrangements for private tours well in advance-especially if we are starting a group or joining a small group.

We do not bother with the meet and greets-on any cruise line. Reading the posts reinforces this decision.

Well now you all are making me think and I hate that!

I organize a lot of M&G for 30 day type cruises. There are a lot of private tours we set up. We usually manage not to spend the M&G discussing them all.

Several years ago we were on a cruise with a GRM that we knew. She very graciously offered to have all 35 of us put on the first tender so we could make our private tour. I had never thought to do such a thing. However, it was very helpful for getting us all together in one area and then on the tender. The GSM stated they do this quite often and I was just to ask. So on future cruises I have done just that with no problem.

After reading all the posts here I am now questioning that. I honestly never thought about hurting HAL's bottom line with this. Which may make me thoughtless but does it make me rude or grasping? I'd love some opinions on this from all of you.

Big Green

Oh my..Agree with you.. it sure is crossing the boundary & completely unethical..Can't imagine the gall of the person who requested a special tender for a private tour..:eek:Have never heard of that ever being done before...

I've done a number of meet and greets and arranged a number of private tours (we like the smaller groups and flexibility). I have NEVER asked that special arrangements be made for our group. We have never missed a tour nor been late whether it is a tender or not. I don't think it's necessary at all. Besides, if you are 5 minutes, no private tour is going to leave;)

To me, it's crossing the line. I've never heard of this before so I doubt your meet and greet leader will do it. JMHO

Also agree...We've done a number of private tours, as well as HAL excursions, & have never been late for one either..

Kazu while you are here, just a quick question about Antartica..Does HAL sell the special tours to go ashore in Antarctica or do all Psgrs automatically get to go ashore in a HAL tender? I'm trying to figure out the costs of Tours etc. on the Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale on the Prinsendam next Jan..

I don't happen to agree with your analogy. HAL is selling cruises; the tours are an "extra". To use the same analogy, it would be like attending an open house at a car dealership when you've already bought a car there and discussing with fellow purchasers some possible after-market extra add-ons that could be provided either by the dealer or by an independent source.

Actually the better analagy would be if I was just about to purchase a new car from the dealer & another party guest, tried to dissuade me with a better deal in front of the Dealer....

Where shall we draw the line? Is it rude of folks to take photos with their own cameras on board because they are taking away business from the ship photographers? :rolleyes:

No, that's differnt, because photographs are not & never have been big money makers for the cruislines..HAL's shore excursion desk is staffed by HAL employees, HAL puts together contracts with their suppliers, advertises the tours, & sells them..Then the staff has to make sure all their Psrs get tickets & are on board the tenders /busses.. They also carry special insurance which protect their Psgrs in case of an accident.. Phillip & Bruce Muzz who are Hotel Mgrs of a cruise line,(which one I'm not sure of), explained very clearly in their posts what the Money Makers are for the cruise lines & shore excursions are of their largest..Check out this thread where Bruce Muzz & phillip ...& Phillip's Post no.57 where he explains the big money makers fo HAL..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=956159

Quote The average breakdown on REVENUES on a cruise ship, largest to smallest are:

1. Passage

2. Art (until the recent financial downturn)

3. Shorex

4. Boutiques

5. Bars

6. Spa

7. Casino

8. Photos

Over the past year, Art has dropped to around #7 on REVENUE

Kidding aside, I of course agree with those who've said that no one should get up with a microphone and slide show and try to drum up business for private tours. However, if a few folks happen to have a "sidebar" discussion about their private tour arrangements during a M&G, I have no problem with that at all, and honestly I don't think HAL officers should either.

Why shouldn't the Officers care..This is their Bread & Butter being cut into..Therefore, I still don't agree with the practice of collecting $$ & taliking about private tours if HAL is hosting the get together for the CC Meet & Greet..There is time enough later to do it after th Officrs leavenot while they are there.. Also LauraS, The Cruise Critic Community Mgr. posted a sticky at the top of this page about organizing Meet & Greets & specifically said that is what the roll call is for..

Edited by serendipity1499

What I object to is not the private tours per se, it's the comments that HAL shorex are "cattle calls", are NEVER value for money, are not for "real travelers", etc. These comments are meant to divide cruisers and to stir the pot. I object to them in the same way I object to people who want to know what cabin category I booked - your travel arrangements are none of my business, and my travel arrangements are based on personal choices.

I always thought the roll call was a way to break the ice prior to the M&G, a forum to share ideas about what to do and what to see, not how to do so.

The M&G I couldn't find was in the Crow's Nest, I believe. I even looked for a sizable group walking in the same direction, no luck. Never found the Crow's Nest on the entire cruise, LOL :p though I did manage to find the casino...often...:eek:

As the organizer of a growing M&G- this posting has given me a lot to think about... It has made me anxious & I hope I won't regret stepping up. I am happy to keep track of names, invites, tags, etc... but I fear I would not be a very good moderator if things went astray :(

I am very grateful for all the planning I do with ideas and reviews via cc.

I enjoy sharing discussions on cc with others who are equally as excited about our trip. Also, I need not drive the folks not fortunate to be cruising our trip crazy with my plans.

I am organizing our M&G... and will certainly be more aware now of our "tour" posts on our roll call boards should they go "astray"... but sharing the journey is what cc is all about imo.

I book private excursions with cc ideas when I have a real reason to do so & ship sponsored tours as well. While to group size is often larger through HAL excursions reservations- sometimes that is just what I want... a larger group to share the adventure. Other times I want intimacy. I am grateful to all who post their experiences both ways. I love reading reviews and gaining insight through others.

I am looking forward to putting faces to the cc board names I have shared so much excitement with!

I hope our roll call turns our M&G into nothing less than a fantastic welcome party... a celebration of pen pals ready for a great cruise!

Like others, we always make our arrangements for private tours well in advance-especially if we are starting a group or joining a small group.

We do not bother with the meet and greets-on any cruise line. Reading the posts reinforces this decision.

Hmmm...I have just read mostly positive comments about the Meet and Greets, and how anything but a great time is an extremely rare occurance. It's a good thing you stay away from them,as I doubt if you would enjoy meeting your fellow CCers.

Let's not be too harsh....Not everyone is the same. There are lots of people who shy away from meetings/encounters with lots of strangers.

Nothing odd about that.

IMO

When my DH and I took our first cruise, we decided to explore the ship so we could find our way around over the week. We wound up at the Crow's Nest in a line so we just followed the crowd. It was a Cruise Critic M&G and we were told that it was for cc'rs only. Not wanting to intrude we left and continued with our exploration. This did leave a rather "strange taste in my mouth", but decided to shake it off.

When we decided to take another cruise - my SIL convinced me to give CC another try, so we registered and joined the roll call for our second cruise. To be honest I was very leery after our first experience. BUT this second group TOTALLY changed my mind. Thru this second group, I gained two wonderful friends and so deeply appreciate all that Cruise Critic did for us regarding first timer hints and advice.

On our third cruise, the CC members were of a totally different demographic group, and though we really enjoyed meeting everyone, the interaction between the various members was completely different. Don't know if it was the destination, the ship's population or the time of year, but did decide it possessed an isolationistic atmosphere. We rarely saw our fellow ccr's (later learned from one of them - they and their traveling companions who were mostly at the M & G) preferred visiting each other in their suites or the privacy of the Neptune Lounge. I think we were firmly put in our place.

That said - I enjoy the roll calls - I love getting ideas from fellow cruisers about the sights there are to see at each port - and I enjoy being able to SHARE my excitement about the upcoming cruise that we are going to be taking at the same time. Hopefully, I will make more friends and be able to widen my own view of this great big world that we live in, and that is MOP.

And if there is a M & G connected with our next cruise, we will go, hoping that we will make some lasting friends who enjoy the same things in life that we enjoy - Cruising, Meeting New People and Have New Adventures. After all without a little adventure in life, it would be as if you were eating a meal without any spices. So enjoy, the M&G and if someone wants to complain about something or exclude others, just remember that they either are very unhappy in their own life or they are afraid of theirs. IMOP

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Edited by Okie1946

Oh my..Agree with you.. it sure is crossing the boundary & completely unethical..Can't imagine the gall of the person who requested a special tender for a private tour..:eek:Have never heard of that ever being done before...

Also agree...We've done a number of private tours, as well as HAL excursions, & have never been late for one either..

Kazu while you are here, just a quick question about Antartica..Does HAL sell the special tours to go ashore in Antarctica or do all Psgrs automatically get to go ashore in a HAL tender? I'm trying to figure out the costs of Tours etc. on the Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale on the Prinsendam next Jan..

Why shouldn't the Officers care..This is their Bread & Butter being cut into..Therefore, I still don't agree with the practice of collecting $$ & taliking about private tours if HAL is hosting the get together for the CC Meet & Greet..There is time enough later to do it after th Officrs leavenot while they are there.. Also LauraS, The Cruise Critic Community Mgr. posted a sticky at the top of this page about organizing Meet & Greets & specifically said that is what the roll call is for..

Sorry Betty i didn't see this until now - unfortunately we didn't hit Antartica - we went around the Cape and full South America but didn't do Antartica so I can't answer this question. hopefully someone can.