Bringing Fluffy TP Onboard

Took a four pack of Charmin last year on Voyager. Never had a problem and never heard of any problems from those around us. Did here of other cabins around the ship with clogging problems. At the Q&A with the CD, they said there was problems with people putting other things down the toilet and that they were able to detect who did it and talked to that cabin.

One night we came back from dinner, after our room steward tidied up the room, and found that she'd emptied our ashtray into the toilet. We knew simply because it had not flushed all the way. After a few times it all finally went- but I'm thinking if they flush cigaterre butts what's wrong with a little Charmin. I'm Just sayin'.

There are plenty of excellent reasons given in this thread not to use any TP other than that which is provided. Your cabin steward was pretty stupid to toss cigarette butts in the toilet. They may have left your bathroom alright but who knows how many other bathrooms down the line were affected by that little stunt. I'm Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

Perhaps they need to add Charmin to the list of items to confiscate along with irons, candles and booze! While it matters not what the other passengers drink, it does matter if they create fire hazzards with irons and candles and it matters to everyone on their section of the plumbing system if they clog up the toilet with fluffy TP.

These boards are absolutely amazing! I'm learning something new everyday! I would have never thought that bringing your own toilet paper can cause so much problems and that there's a big difference between land and ship TP. :rolleyes:

If soft TP is not allowed due to the sewage, what about tampons? They seem much more likely to clog the system then soft Tp?

I don't remember ever seeing anything banning the use of tampons?

They provide appropriate bags in the bathroom to use. Tampons should not be flushed.

If soft TP is not allowed due to the sewage, what about tampons? They seem much more likely to clog the system then soft Tp?

I was under the impression that most grown women knew it was a bad idea to flush tampons?

Took a four pack of Charmin last year on Voyager. Never had a problem and never heard of any problems from those around us. Did here of other cabins around the ship with clogging problems. At the Q&A with the CD, they said there was problems with people putting other things down the toilet and that they were able to detect who did it and talked to that cabin.

Please, please, PLEASE reconsider this next time. The issue that you caused may not have shown up until the next cruise. Sometimes it takes awhile to backup. It is inconsiderate to continue doing so now that you know it causes problems.

As previously posted, it is marine tissue that is designed to dissolve for a reason. I wouldn't consider using anything else on our boat let alone a ship that has 3000 passengers plus crew. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Owning a small cabin cruiser and being a boater on Lake St Clair, I can tell you that it is necessary to use the toilet tissue provided.

We have a RV and we have to buy RV/Marine grade toilet paper since the pipes can not handle 2 or 3 ply toilet paper. Please do not bring your own TP on board as it is not designed to dissolve in the plumbing system.

I was under the impression that most grown women knew it was a bad idea to flush tampons?

Please, please, PLEASE reconsider this next time. The issue that you caused may not have shown up until the next cruise. Sometimes it takes awhile to backup. It is inconsiderate to continue doing so now that you know it causes problems.

Had I know, we wouldn't have brought it.

What about flushable wet-wipes?

I wouldn't try that either. It's flushable in toilets in bathrooms on land --not on a ship.

They ask that you not put anything in the toilet but human waste and their own toilet paper provided.

I don't like it either but am willing to use it as opposed to being without a toilet in our cabin for hours which happened to us on our last cruise!

That's an assumption, it maybe correct though. Every employer I have worked for in the past 30 years has used the thinest flimsiest TP and it didn't have anything to do with clogging ;)

not an assumption. even the US Navy uses the same type of TP it is strictly a matter of the internal plumbing cannot handle anything other than what is provided. like has been said.. the stuff on board will completely dissipate. commercial products do not.

Critterchick,

I've seen a travel pack of Charmin at Target also. I just bring the Kleenex because I have allergies and am more likely to need something to wipe my eyes and nose than to wipe my . . . . I can only think of a couple times when I used the Kleenex as TP but it was good to have for emergencies.

It seems like the man/woman who bathed in purfume always wants to sit near me. :rolleyes: They normally go away after I've sneezed for the 8th or 9th time. By then it's too late - my eyes and nose are running like faucets. :(

LOL!

I must be the harda** that my friends and family occasionally accuses me of being, because I honestly don't notice anything awful about the toilet paper onboard...

:eek: Tampons should not be flushed down any toilet

If you have a septic system you shouldnt flush tampons, but if you live in the city and have city sewer system they are perfectly fine to flush.

ah.... no. They are just as problematic on city sewer as well. I worked for a city system one summer and that was one of my fun jobs, cleaning the screens. It was not a happy job.:rolleyes:

This is a goofy question, but have any of you brought fluffy toilet paper onboard (charmine/angel soft) and used it without any clogging issues with the space toilets?

I hate the tissue paper thin TP provided and want to bring my own 3-ply from home but I don't know how well RCI's pipes would handle the thicker stuff.

I think it depends on if its the kind that is biodegradable. It will be marked on the package.

Otherwise, no, leave it at home and dont do it.

Archived