Tough Question. Alaska or Baltic?

lightsleeper

Been going back and forth on trying to decide which of the two cruises to do. Hopefully, will eventually be able to do both.

Choice is an Alaskan Cruise with additional time for Denali Park OR

Scandinavia & Russia cruise embarking in Denmark

If you could choose, which one would you pick?

Thanks in advance for your insight

Both are completely different. We have done Alaska and are doing the Baltic in August. You have to decide between Nature and History.

If cost has anything to do with your decision, I would pick the Baltic this year. I have noticed an increase in prices for the Baltic as not as many ships sail there and Princess has the best itinerary. There are always deals to be had for Alaska.

We totally second the comment above.

We have done Alaska twice and the Baltic once. Both cruises are "must do". However, one can not really be compared to the other. The itineraries are very different.

Alaska is natural scenic beauty and wildlife that can not be duplicated. The Baltic is steeped in historical context and the longer visit to St Petersburg alone is worth taking the cruise.

Your choice should be which should you take first and that should be your choice. Then savor the time waiting and planning for the other.

Have fun which ever you choose.

P&J

OP, when asking questions like this, it would be helpful for you to indicate what your interests are. I love hiking and mountains, so I'd do Alaska a fourth time. On the other hand, much as I'd like to visit St. Petersburg, it's the target of a boycott due to its antigay policies, so I ain't going for the time being....

We've done both and enjoyed both, but if I had to choose only one, it would be Alaska for it's amazing scenic beauty. Oh, and because the crowds at the major attractions in Russia were horrible!; imagine 50,000 people packed into your living room, and you'll have a good idea! Hopefully you'll be able to do them both eventually.

Baltic was at the bottom of our bucket list (along with Alaska). It was the BEST cruise ever. I loved every port. There was even a lot of great scenery, especially around Sweden and Norway. We also went through the Kiel Canal which was very memorable.

Alaska is the most different cruise. It's all about scenery and wildlife. It's something I'm glad we did, but have no desire to repeat it. If you cruise Europe and like it, you won't be sorry about the Baltic cruise.

It is true that crowds at St Petersburg's major attractions can be bad but certainly can be avoided. With the right planning and booking a small private tour, all that can easily be avoided.

There were crowds at the Hermatige ehrm we went. However, our guide knew how to avoid the crowds and we were able to truly enjoy the museum.

St Petersburg proper and the sites outside of the city are true "bucket list" must see sites. To be seen properly one should avoid the big ship's tours and the like.

If you can do it with a private guide and driver, they will assure you do not wait inline and avoid the crowded times and places. A private tour also can add "extra" sites not on the canned tours and that adds tremendously.

St. Petersburg was one of the true highlights of our several cruises.

P&J

We cruised Alaska in 2007 and did the land part to Denali in 2011. We did the Baltic cruise in 2010. If you opt for the Baltic, make sure the ship goes to Oslo. Frogner Park is not to be missed!

The stories and pictures from all 3 trips are on our website. They will give you a feel for the two areas you are interested in.

If you have any questions, our e-mail addresses are on our website.

We've done both in the past and believe it or not are doing both again this year. In a few weeks we are going to Alaska and spending the first few days in Fairbanks on our own, then going on a Princess 7-day tour and then the southbound cruise. We are totally excited about doing this.

In July we'll be going back to the Baltic, but this time we're taking the Queen Elizabeth. We did these in 2001 on the original Crown Princess. It was a wonderful cruise and we're super excited about going back, but this time in St. Petersburg we are forgoing the local tours and doing the excursion to Moscow.:D

If you can't do both, think about what you most enjoy doing. If you love the great outdoors, beautiful scenery and hiking, then go to Alaska. If you are a history buff plus want to see a little of Russia and Scandinavia, go on the Baltic.

Since I don't know where you live, I can't advise re the costs of "getting there" but they will both be expensive. The flights to Alaska for us are not much more than flying to Europe. With that said, however...we aren't flying to Europe. We're taking the QM2 to Southampton and transferring to QE. However if you were flying to Copenhagen for the Princess cruise, you are looking at some high airfares which only seem to be going up.

Our advise would be: do either one. You can't go wrong since both are fabulous. Flip a coin. If $$ is an issue, then go for the one that costs less, but neither will be cheap.

is for the Baltic! Alaska will always be easier for an American/Canadians to do. Standing in St. Petersburg, realizing you are in Russia, is a travel experience you cannot duplicate. I loved Alaska and the nature but the Scandinavan countries are so different and interesting. Karen

Been going back and forth on trying to decide which of the two cruises to do. Hopefully, will eventually be able to do both.

Choice is an Alaskan Cruise with additional time for Denali Park OR

Scandinavia & Russia cruise embarking in Denmark

If you could choose, which one would you pick?

Thanks in advance for your insight

Not tough at all,Alaska was cold and rainy and Europe is the best!

Oh, and because the crowds at the major attractions in Russia were horrible!; imagine 50,000 people packed into your living room, and you'll have a good idea! Hopefully you'll be able to do them both eventually.

Not if you tour with a company such as Red October or Denrus. They get you to the sites when the tour busses from the cruise ships are not there.

We have done both and both were terrific. If you are really into history, do the Baltic, but get private tours everywhere. Russia was fascinating, but Estonia was a hidden gem. If you do it the way we did, the itinerary was exhausting. (We wanted to see everything.) Alaska is totally different, and the wildlife and nature experiences are not to be missed. It was busy, but much more relaxing than the Baltic. I agree with everyone else, you can't go wrong with either one.

Ohiodoglover

I feel your pain. We went through the same thing several years ago, when we couldn't decide which cruise to do first. We finally decided to do the Baltics in 2008, and then we did Alaska in 2010. They were both fabulous cruises. I couldn't tell you which was better. We loved them both. Which ever you decide just book the other right after it. You will not be disappointed.

We've done both, the biggest difference is the Baltics is a collection of large cities and you will be exhausted. Alaska has more natural beauty and isn't nearly as rushed.

That being said I plan to do both again.

I have done both. If finances are not an issue, I would take the Baltic tour first while you are "younger" and in healthier condition. I absolutely loved both, but would go the distance now and do Alaska later. Used miles to go first class to Denmark. It was delightful. Go early or late in the season to avoid the crowds (it will still be busy). Stay with your tour group in St. Petersburg! I wandered on my own at all the other ports. Best cruise I have been on so far.

Renee

I agree with Crzn-Life and Roses2 – both itineraries are really great. We taken both trips and enjoyed both for different reasons. The Baltic will be more port intensive as indicated by others. It is really hard to tell which was better. OhioDogLover made a great comment about Estonia being a “hidden gem”. I could not agree more. We loved walking around the well preserved medieval town. Truly amazing.

If you would like to see our pics from both trips. Let me know. Just leave your email address and I will send you the link. In fact if anyone would like to see my pictures -- just leave your email address.

Steve & Kathy I’ve visited your web site several times. Great information.

John

PS Robert Louis Stevenson once said: “I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move”.

...PS Robert Louis Stevenson once said: “I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move”.

That sums up my POV too. OP, either choice will be good. Do what works for you within your budget, activity level, and days off from work.

Archived