Anyone's spouse not into cruising? (Gasp!)

CruzerDeb

My DW has had trouble with the patch last cruise and she is now anti cruise. We are going

on a cruise this August but only reason she is going is my daughter is going with her family and wants DW and I along. It will be her first cruise. I am going to keep feeding her Ginger

tabs and NO PATCH....Hope it works.

OP I know exactly how you feel! When your best friend doesn't share that passion it is sad, I know first hand. Sure, going with the girls is fun, but its not the same. I'm always a bit jealous of the happy couples who share this addiction.

My DH has gone on all of our cruises. He could care less either way. We returned home from the Pride two weeks ago and he said he does not want to go on another one for awhile :eek: We had a great time he just could careless. Our DS will graduate from high school next year and I wanted to do one more cruise next April for a grad. gift and before he goes off to college. DH said he does not want to go and for the two of us to go :D:D no problem. DH said it will be a vacation for him to be home without us :rolleyes:

Now DH says he wants to go :rolleyes: I was ready to book one of those cabins with the real loooong balconies for two!!!

My DW has had trouble with the patch last cruise and she is now anti cruise. We are going

on a cruise this August but only reason she is going is my daughter is going with her family and wants DW and I along. It will be her first cruise. I am going to keep feeding her Ginger

tabs and NO PATCH....Hope it works.

Is she not able to take meclizine (Bonine) orally? It can work wonders taken once daily at bedtime (starting the night before the cruise), even for folks who have had unwanted side effects from the patch.

Of course I am NOT trying to give you medical advise, just a tip you may want to check into! Have a great cruise in August:D

I have empathy for you....my DH was the same way, couldn't get him convinced, just kept saying it would be boring, he didn't want to be cooped up on a ship..yada, yada. Finally I took the plunge and just booked a cruise, told him he HAD to try it, if he didn't like it we wouldn't do it again.....guess what? He is a bigger cruise addict than me. The minute he walks onto the ship he wants to book the next one....his excitement beats mine each and every time (and he doesn't get too excited over very much). So for those who haven't "tried" cruising....just book one and see what happens!!! It worked for me.

My husband will not consider a cruise. He thinks it is unsafe to travel outside of the U.S. He isn't happy I go out of the country, so I made a deal with him to only cruise the Caribbean or Mexico while he is still living. :) Altho right now, Mexico isn't where I want to go. He did say he would do an Alaskan cruise, knowing I would never go where it was cold. So, my sister & I have happily cruised without him for the past 10 years, and will continue this September. We take vacations together, just us or with our kids and grandkids. He generally goes to the races in Talladega when I cruise in April (usually) or visits family in Tn. when we cruise in Sept. It works.

So, does anyone have a spouse that's not really into cruising?

For my first cruise, I took my then 15 and 13 year-old daughters on a spring break trip. DH prefers to ski. Spring break was late in the season (like April 12), so skiing was out for the girls. He went skiing in March and we went cruising in April (2009). I must say, this was the BEST vacation I ever took (with or without DH).

We're now planning our second Girls' Cruise for next June. Again, DH would rather spend his vacation money skiing (he says he'll die of he doesn't get to ski out West). For background, I've gone on at least 10 ski trips out West with him (and our girls went several times). I don't enjoy skiing anymore. Too much work! :p

He says that he'll cruise with my in the future when it's just he and I, but I have my doubts.

Reading all the great threads here and seeing all the pictures of couples enjoying the cruising experience together really makes me sad. So what do you do if your spouse doesn't like to cruise?

While leaving port, hop into a hot tub with a bunch of men and get loaded. Wait until your husband finds you to remind you that it's dinner time and take a picture of his facial expression. Not that I have any experience in this area:)

It was completely out of character for me. So before I booked this cruise I asked my SO if he was interested in cruising again and he said "I'll likely hate it but sign me up." I'm guessing he'll be on every cruise.

my dh doesn't have any desire to cruise, I on the other hand love it (only went once) I would find something else we like to do together but he always says he just can't possibly get away. Well, I choose not to set home all the time. I am willing to go without him, although I would rather go with him. My problem is finding someone to go with. We live in Nebraska and it is expensive to fly to everywhere Plus the cruise. I say take the girls and have fun.

*sigh*....my spouse has NO desire to cruise, or go anywhere! "I can see what I want on TV." Needless to say, I have supported him in EVERY "business adventure" that he's wanted to do. His excuse(s) for not cruising are:

I can't swim (don't jump overboard)

I don't want to leave the dogs (your sister will feed them)

I can't afford for both of us to go (yet you can afford multiple vehicles, lawn mowers, tools, etc etc etc)

I might like it and then will want to go and can't afford it (yet you bought another trailer for your lawn mowers that would have paid for a few cruises)

I'll get seasick (take a pill)

I'm going on my fifth cruise next week. All have been with my Mom and nieces, or girlfriends. I get so envious of couples on board, and traveling, or just enjoying each others company.

Wow.....this sounds pretty grim LOLOL

Oh well, I will continue to cruise and travel. I have to live while I'm alive!

So I think I am only the third male on here who's DW is not as into cruising. At first she hated it, then indifferent, presently enjoying it thanks to an awesome trip on the Spirit (which she now calls our "timeshare"). Im working her up to obsessed. We'll see how that goes. Might just be a personality difference. To the o.p.: I think it's time he gives something new a try. My DW has gone on many cruises and I know she really wants to do a land based vacation. So next year I'm going to let her pick, especially coming off a year of five cruises! She's truly a saint to help support my mission to become platinum. I'm even dragging the toddlers into this.

We've been married 10 years and I am still way to codependent to let either one of us travel without the other. I bet she would actually enjoy a little break from the three of us boys. Not gonna happen, they're just as bad as I am.

For my first cruise, I took my then 15 and 13 year-old daughters on a spring break trip. DH prefers to ski. Spring break was late in the season (like April 12), so skiing was out for the girls. He went skiing in March and we went cruising in April (2009). I must say, this was the BEST vacation I ever took (with or without DH).

We're now planning our second Girls' Cruise for next June. Again, DH would rather spend his vacation money skiing (he says he'll die of he doesn't get to ski out West). For background, I've gone on at least 10 ski trips out West with him (and our girls went several times). I don't enjoy skiing anymore. Too much work! :p

He says that he'll cruise with my in the future when it's just he and I, but I have my doubts.

Reading all the great threads here and seeing all the pictures of couples enjoying the cruising experience together really makes me sad. So what do you do if your spouse doesn't like to cruise?

WOW Sounds like my DW and I. My Wife would go cruise with her sisters go to Europe with her sisters and I would stay and take care of BUSINESS.I had a very serious heart ATTACK (well are there any other kinds of heart attacks other than serious) I had bypass surgery with what they call a door.(cut part of your heart off.)The new ME had a better understanding of what is important.I was in the hospital for like a month.I did rehab at the house for 4 months.

The story I have just told was 6 years ago.My wife and I have been on SEVERAL cruises together and have one planned on the LEGEND for sept 30th.What a GREAT amount of precious time I have wasted.I am a regular on cruise critic now KINDA hooked on cruising.

WOW Sounds like my DW and I. My Wife would go cruise with her sisters go to Europe with her sisters and I would stay and take care of BUSINESS.I had a very serious heart ATTACK (well are there any other kinds of heart attacks other than serious) I had bypass surgery with what they call a door.(cut part of your heart off.)The new ME had a better understanding of what is important.I was in the hospital for like a month.I did rehab at the house for 4 months.

The story I have just told was 6 years ago.My wife and I have been on SEVERAL cruises together and have one planned on the LEGEND for sept 30th.What a GREAT amount of precious time I have wasted.I am a regular on cruise critic now KINDA hooked on cruising.

Since 1990 my dad has basically given up doing any type of travel. The only time he has traveled was for 1 wedding and 2 funerals. From September 1990 through late March 2010 I went on 32 cruises. 31 of the cruises were myself and my mom. The other cruise I went on with my mom, my oldest sister and her son. While we were on the cruises my dad would do work around the house. The type of work he did was things like paint, install tile backsplashes in bathrooms and the kitchen and one time installed a prefinished floor in the entrance hall.

In the past few years I've gone on a cruise with my fellow Red Hatters- needless to say my hubby opted to stay home! but I swore after the last one that I'd never cruise again without him! Fortunately he loves cruising as much as I do, so it was a happy day last month when we booked our Paradise cruise for July! Can't wait!

My SIL wants to go on on a cruise, but my brother tends to get a little seasick when he is on a boat or a ship. He also would rather spend his vacation time at a nascar race track watching a stupic car race. Doesn't like beaches, doesn't like trooical paradises, no would rather watch cars go around and around and around in a circle emitting gases that are slowing killing this planet.....He was going to go on a "girls only" cruise with three friends, well she had the money, but he said no cuz he would want to go to and he doesn't want to cruise, but she doesn't want to spend vacation time at a racetrack watching a stupid car race for endless hours when they could be on a beach or shopping and catch highlights later.....

If u can just get him to try it... he might like it. I talked cruise for a looonnnggg time, many years. Never could get hubby interested. He thought it would be boring. HA! In advance of our 25th wedding anniversary, we were talking about a trip... He said lets take a cruise! As soon as I picked myself up off the floor, it was booked. He loved it! Have been on a couple more in the last 2 years and another booked.

If u can just get him to try it... he might like it. I talked cruise for a looonnnggg time, many years. Never could get hubby interested. He thought it would be boring. HA! In advance of our 25th wedding anniversary, we were talking about a trip... He said lets take a cruise! As soon as I picked myself up off the floor, it was booked. He loved it! Have been on a couple more in the last 2 years and another booked.

Youre lucky, in my case he concedes it's the most economical way to vacation, he just doesn't care for it. Hes not an addict like myself and more of a home body. I like one of the others suggestion, shock therapy lol!

I have been trying to talk one of my best friends into a cruise for years. Her reasoning has always been that the ship is out in the middle of the ocean and you can't see land.

I have finally talked her into it. We are booked on the Liberty in Sept. I am certain she will love cruising as much as we do once she's tried it!!!!

My DW loves to cruise but out right refuses to go during hurricane season. I am wanting to go on either a 4 or 5 day one in Oct. but she refuses to go and I don't want to go by myself.

Is she not able to take meclizine (Bonine) orally? It can work wonders taken once daily at bedtime (starting the night before the cruise), even for folks who have had unwanted side effects from the patch.

Of course I am NOT trying to give you medical advise, just a tip you may want to check into! Have a great cruise in August:D

We will use Bonine also..I told her I will make her take one the day we leave the house heading for Florida. Thanks we hope it will be fun and she has a great cruise.

So what do you do if your spouse doesn't like to cruise?

I go without him. :D

I just returned from my fifth cruise, and he only went on one of them. Thankfully, I have good friends who got bit by the cruise bug with me, and now I've corrupted my sisters, too. :)

It took me 27 years to get my DH to cruise. :eek:

I didn't fool around with a shorter cruise but booked 7 nights out of Miami. I figured he was going to love it - or he was going to hate it and I might as well have a good time! :D

Guess what? He loved it and has been on one cruise since then and we plan to cruise again this fall!

So I was telling my husband, who doesn't want to cruise on my next cruise, about this thread. I told him about shock therapy and the other funny ideas......he went to bed mad at me! But he was over it the next day. Darn, I need to learn to keep my mouth shut!

Little does he know I am planing another cruise with John Heald Bloggers in 2014! :rolleyes:

Archived