What's at the top of your "do not forget" list?

kfrost72

chargers: phone, camera, ipad

I always recharge everything at the last minute and am always afraid I'll leave without the chargers!

I'm pretty good about packing but when I forget something it is an entire category - underwear, bras, pajamas

We travel often but we are infrequent cruisers/international travelers. I'll start my mantra now "don't forget the passports, don't forget the passports, don't forget the passports..." and repeat ad nauseum for the next 3 weeks... Thanks for the reminder!

chargers: phone, camera, ipad

I always recharge everything at the last minute and am always afraid I'll leave without the chargers!

I'm pretty good about packing but when I forget something it is an entire category - underwear, bras, pajamas

We travel often but we are infrequent cruisers/international travelers. I'll start my mantra now "don't forget the passports, don't forget the passports, don't forget the passports..." and repeat ad nauseum for the next 3 weeks... Thanks for the reminder!

Chargers was my answer. I often set my purse on the floor by the outlet with the charger plugged in and my phone or camera dangling into my purse. It would be really hard to miss.

Our son is daibetic and I always bring copies of his prescriptions in case we forget things. They can't be refilled with copies, but doc office# and all info is on them.

Copies of passport, credit cards, health insurance card and travel inaurance policy. Notify your credit card company you will be traveling so they don't put a "FREEZE" on your shopping. Extra batteries and memory cards. Copies of your perscriptions and sufficient quantities to last a week or two after you return, in case you are delayed. (An extension cord -- DH uses a CPAP machine). Extra pair of glasses/sunglasses. Some cold/allergy meds.

Sense of Humor and a Positive attitude !!!

Enjoy !!!

Chargers was my answer. I often set my purse on the floor by the outlet with the charger plugged in and my phone or camera dangling into my purse. It would be really hard to miss.

We have learned especially at hotels always to leave something essential with the charger when charging anything, something that you would never leave the room without taking, like your shoe.

When you are groggy waking up in a strange room in the morning and packing in a hurry, it can be so easy to overlook a charger that was left plugged into a wall outlet the night before.

I am reminded of that lesson each time I discover a charger with battery or small electronic appliance from a previous occupant still plugged into an electric outlet in a hotel room. I just turn them in at the front desk, but wonder whether or not they ever get back to their owners.

It is not on my packing list and I have never needed it yet, but I always keep a spare charger and battery for my camera in my carry-on bag, just in case.

It's getting closer and closer to our cruise to Alaska. Swqueee!!

I'm putting together my "must bring" list and was wondering what else is at the top of other peoples, other than the obvious of clothing.

Bottled water, by the case. More important than a case of wine. I know that sounds weird, but I've been on cruise ships where the tap water was cut off, and in parts of the world where the water was not was quite what I was used to drinking. Mini flashlight, high powered tensor light. Biscuits. Basic first aid kit. Good quality zip lock water proof bags. A sense of adventure. One really nice formal outfit. A willingness to tolerate differences and embrace joy and good humour. Chocolate.:)

Many of my suggestions are in these great lists. Some others -

If you wear glasses, tuck in one of those little glasses quick fix cases, or at least the tiny screwdriver from one. Even if you need it only once in a lifetime of trips, it can really make the difference in your experience in a once in a lifetime stop.

I have a PolarTek (warm and VERY lightweight) wrap that I like to have. It's perfect for long flights and for relaxing on the balcony/deck when it's just a bit chilly.

And finally -

My ears HATE being cold, so if I think I'm going to be outside for an extended period where it might be cold and windy, I bring a pair of ear muffs or (I don't know the name of this thing:confused:) a band that wraps around your head and ears and is either stretchy or fastens with velcro. Now that's clear, huh!?:D

It's getting closer and closer to our cruise to Alaska. Swqueee!!

I'm putting together my "must bring" list and was wondering what else is at the top of other peoples, other than the obvious of clothing.

Passport

Folder with air tickets, ship boarding pass, other important papers

Camera

Binoculars

waterproof Jacket

Purse with wallet (CASH & CREDIT CARD), sunglasses, HOUSEKEY, book to read on plane

Carryon bag, with Prescription meds

Suitcases

Positive attitude - I'm having a good cruise no matter what:)

Chargers

Lysol wipes (yes, I'm one of those people;)) I don't go crazy, but the phone and the remote control get a wipedown.

Hat and gloves - we tend toward cooler weather cruises and I want to enjoy my promenade deck every morning.

Passports as well as copies

Important phone numbers of all credit cards, tour vendors, travel insurance etc.

Confirmations of any reservations including the cruise and travel insurance info

Cash including a number of small bills to have handy tips for those first few days. Once on the cruise you can get small bills on the ship.

Camera and extra batteries (we use rechargeables, but still like several extra)

Prescription Meds and Motion Sickness meds

Postage Stamps as well as address labels for post cards

Nightlight

I'm a new cruiser, but I've read many, many threads about packing. Just thought I'd add a few of the smart ideas I've seen (some that I never would have thought of on my own!)

Power strip

Clear over-the-door shoe organizer for easy and visible storage

Cork screw

Dollar bills for extra tips

Starbucks via packets (or similar) for better coffee options

Bag that can be used as a day pack

Also, because we booked a fishing excursion in Alaska (and hope something is caught) I read that it's important to arrange to have the fedex fish delivery sent to a friend. Make sure you take their address with you!

A first aid kit with bandaids, Imodium and tums. And I like to have a small bottle of winkle releaser for my blouses that tend to wrinkle a bit in the luggage. This way I don't have to go hunt down an iron while getting ready for dinner! ;)

Great ideas from everyone!

Being from Portland Oregon, with family that are avid salmon fishers, I am well versed to what the coast in the pacific NW can be like (as far as instant torrential down pours) and have plenty of gear.

Wool socks are my "can't forget" if I'm going to be out fishing or on a small boat in the ocean. But I HATE cold feet. I also have a wool peruvian ski hat that goes over the ears.

Passport---first and foremost.

Credit card---I can buy what I forgot.

Meds, make-up, jewelry---girl's gotta feel and look good.

I would add a backup pair of eyeglasses if you wear them. I would have problems if my eyeglasses were lost or broken.

You could leave the jewelry at home as I am sure you will find plenty available for purchase on the ship:rolleyes:

In addition to passports, tickets, booking records and medications, I add a spare pair of spectacles, my patent sewing kit packed into a recycled spectacle case, my swimming costume and our portable backgammon set for lazy sea days around the pool.

Colleen

Don't walk off and leave the passport at home.

Passport is at the very top of my list because I did just that once. We were going to Paris and were running late. I left my personal bag on the kitchen counter with my passport, my other ID, my credit cards, our camera, my medicine, and other things in it. I realized it about halfway to the airport. No time to go back and get it. Thankfully, I had a good friend who got up at the crack of dawn and drove like a bat out of you know where (45 minutes) to the airport to bring it to me. (I sent everyone else in our party of six in so I was the only one in danger of missing our flight.) I made it with just minutes to spare. Whew!

Now I make certain I am looking at it as we drive out of the driveway. Anything I forgot I can buy if I have that bag!

Robin

Archived