Drinks on the Dawn....seriously???

Lthouselady

Now those prices look to be more my style. I know that in Boston 'proper' the drinks are always $10 +, but I live an hour north in Southern NH and there's NO WAY I'd pay that much for a white Russian here. I knew they'd be more on a ship, of course, but something about $11. for a non alcoholic smoothie just rubbed me the wrong way. I can definitely see $7 or $8 for a drink though.

Thank you for posting that..........I feel much better. :D

Yes, they look cheaper than I expected. Most of them look cheaper than what you'd pay at some of the nicer restaurants around here.

Heres the tip of the day. Go to the On-Board Liquor store. Order some very cheap booze. They put it aside But and heres the big But, On the last night of the cruise(When you may be less rich) they distribute it all so ...voila...stateroom Bar....who knew?:eek:

Kev:cool:

That may vary by ship as on the Dawn about a month ago you had to go pick it up at a certain time (like after 6 or 7 pm the last night). Here's the glitch - the line snaked from the gift ship all the way back to the atrium and it was that way for at least a solid 1.5 hours while we went to dinner and walked around. It was still long after that time so I'm not sure how long people actually had to wait.

We didn't buy anything this time but in the past when you went to pick it up it was a very quick five minute process on other ships. Seemed to be a combination of the number of people buying plus the poor logistics on gift shop's part this time around.

That is a fantastic idea...[Pay attention NCL ] Fantastic deal....but alas NO, NCL does not offer this. Just soda packages...no Alcohol packages.

NCL does however offer Pub crawls and I do not know if any other lines do this. The pub crawl was something like 15 bucks (maybe more was too drunk to remember the price)and we went all over the ship and had a blast. Also there are many complimentary wine tastings, martini tastings etc....so you can find some reasonableness to the madness:eek:

Oh WAIT a Minute just noticed 44.00 PER DAY....not so fantastic I, yes, even I, would be hard pressed to do 44.00 worth a day every day duh.....

Have burp fun:D

I think this is still a fantastic deal, even at $44 per day (obviously based on my own consumption habits.) I'm considering options for my first cruise and I have seen a lot to like about NCL, but since hearing about this package being offered on Celebrity, I am seriously tempted. And it's not just for alcohol which would help to make it worthwhile for me (I like to drink but I have to draw the line somewhere), although my BF could put away more than enough to make it worthwhile on alcohol alone.

The OP is complaining about a non alcoholic drink with a cost of $11. Her point is that the non alcoholic smoothie costs a few dollars more than NCL's alcoholic drinks.

Yes, OP I agree. $11 is really outrageous for non-alcoholic drink, I don't care what city you're in.

Not in our waters, I remember paying about half the normal land price for drinks back in the 70s when it was duty free, but I admit ticket prices were a lot dearer than they are now relatively speaking.

Yeah, it is interesting to look at our previous cruise fares compared to On board ships charges. Our honeymoon, for an inside on Carnival for 7 nights cost us $999 per person. We did celebrity in outside cabin for $699 per person four years later and and still get an outside for that $699, now 20 years later. If you compare the price of drinks, I don't think they have raised really that significantly. Except for the bar set-ups, which have doubled.

We usually find a bar with a good happy hour, like 2 4 1 martinis and that keeps the prices in quite a good range (i.e. less than $4 a drink). And they are usually strong, especially if we end up there every night.

The OP is complaining about a non alcoholic drink with a cost of $11. Her point is that the non alcoholic smoothie costs a few dollars more than NCL's alcoholic drinks.

Yes, OP I agree. $11 is really outrageous for non-alcoholic drink, I don't care what city you're in.

Since a smoothie cost more for NCL than a alcoholic drink, of course they cost more!

Heres the tip of the day. Go to the On-Board Liquor store. Order some very cheap booze. They put it aside But and heres the big But, On the last night of the cruise(When you may be less rich) they distribute it all so ...voila...stateroom Bar....who knew?:eek:

That may vary by ship as on the Dawn about a month ago you had to go pick it up at a certain time (like after 6 or 7 pm the last night). Here's the glitch - the line snaked from the gift ship all the way back to the atrium and it was that way for at least a solid 1.5 hours while we went to dinner and walked around. It was still long after that time so I'm not sure how long people actually had to wait.

On the Star in April the held liquors were delivered straight to the cabins by room stewards too, previously on all my other cruises (with NCL) there was that huge queue on the last night. (And once they lost one bottle of our group's shore bought rums and were wery reluctant to replace it with a decent bottle from the gift shop - but that has nothing to do with the pickup, I think that the bottle was lost/misplaced/stolen way earlier than on the last night.)

That is a fantastic idea...[Pay attention NCL ] Fantastic deal....but alas NO, NCL does not offer this. Just soda packages...no Alcohol packages.

NCL does however offer Pub crawls and I do not know if any other lines do this. The pub crawl was something like 15 bucks (maybe more was too drunk to remember the price)and we went all over the ship and had a blast. Also there are many complimentary wine tastings, martini tastings etc....so you can find some reasonableness to the madness:eek:

Oh WAIT a Minute just noticed 44.00 PER DAY....not so fantastic I, yes, even I, would be hard pressed to do 44.00 worth a day every day duh.....

Have burp fun:D

Pub crawl is $25 + 15 percent gratuity for one person.

1) Your steward will supply wine glasses & an ice bucket on request, and will replace them on request. If you can't find your steward, just pick up the phone and ask.

2) It goes on as carry-on. If it's in your checked luggage, you'll have to go to the "naughty room" to pick it up, which can take some time.

3) You can bring it to the dining room one night and they'll keep it for you and retrieve it for you whenever you like.

They keep the wine for you for the next night if you didn't finish the bottle.

Wine will stay with you in your cabin until you bring it to the dining room, bar or specialty restaurants.

Cabin steward will provide glasses and keep them clean on a daily basis. If you need additional, call room service.

This will be my first cruise on NCL and as I'm travelling with a friend who drinks very little alcohol and that it's an itinerary with long days in port I won't mind that NCL doesn't have an all-inclusive drinks package - DH and I thought they were great value on our MSC and Celebrity cruises.

But we were considering the non-alcoholic package until I saw that it's Pepsi products, which I don't care for.

I saw on another thread that NCL doesn't mind if you bring your own soft drinks and bottled water on board - is that in fact the case? It seems to me that they'd want the income for those sorts of drinks as well as from alcoholic ones...

Bring all the soda and water you want. Just make sure it's in your carry on so you don't have to go to the "naughty room". NCL's water is very good and I never saw the need for bottled water. Enjoy.

That's brilliant, thanks for the confirmation!

I much prefer Coke and I'll bring some sparkling water as well and use NCL's for still. Amazing that they let folks do this...

Cheers!

Lesley

Bring all the soda and water you want. Just make sure it's in your carry on so you don't have to go to the "naughty room". NCL's water is very good and I never saw the need for bottled water. Enjoy.

I have always given my drinks (12-packs of soda or once shrinkwrapped case of small water bottles) to the porters in Miami and have never gotten any trouble and drinks have always came to the cabin door just as the luggage.

But that doesn't work in all ports, for example in Tampa you must carry on all your sodas, porters won't take them (union thing).

Even though I was prepared for our cruise from Tampa with the thin duffle bag that NCL sells onboard, when loaded with sodas, case of Pellegrino and couple of bottles of wine, it was heavy and pain in the a** to haul around. Never again without wheels of some sort if I must carry them on myself. :D

That is great if they allow soft drinks to be brought on board. The reason I liked the Celebrity alcohol package ( $44 per day) was that it not only included alcohol, it included all of the items from the lesser priced packages.

IE: sodas, bottled water, smoothies, all non-alcoholic frozen drinks, and juices like tomato juice and fresh squeezed orange juice). Sitting by the pool, in the theater, dinner,and then out in the lounges buying drinks in one day really added up otherwise. Norwegian allowing the soft drinks being brought in will really help me out alot! Do they give you a hard time when your carry on goes through the scanner while going onboard? Thanks for that information......

So they don't care if you bring wine onboard in your carryon? Is there a limit to the number of bottles?

No limit, you just have to pay the corkage for each bottle. On our last cruise we spent a lot of time with a couple that brought a whole case of wine with them for 12 nights so basically one bottle for each day onboard.

So they don't care if you bring wine onboard in your carryon? Is there a limit to the number of bottles?

There is no limit to the amount you bring on any NCL ship. We took 10 bottles last week. The most we have ever taken is 18 for a week. You will pay the corkage fee after going through security. Your bottles will be spotted in the carryon and you will be directed to a table where each bottle will receive a corkage fee paid sticker and the charge posted to your onboard account.

I know I'm worrying this topic to death, but one more question. The wine , soda, and water needs to be in carry on luggage. Does it count as carry on if you use one of those small wheeler carts or does it have to be over your shoulder?

I know I'm worrying this topic to death, but one more question. The wine , soda, and water needs to be in carry on luggage. Does it count as carry on if you use one of those small wheeler carts or does it have to be over your shoulder?

Doesn't matter how you carry it on. No camels or Llama's are allowed though.

Archived