Lthouselady

Drinks on the Dawn....seriously???

I just saw the dailies for the Boston to Bermuda cruises on the Dawn this year. The non alcoholic smoothie of the day was $11.00!!!!!! (in a souvenir glass) Are they kidding????? That was even more than the actual DRINK of the day which was $9-10 (also in a souvenir glass)

Anyone know what they charge for a regular drink (like a white russian or a glass of wine) or smoothie in a NON souvenir glass?

I can't believe the drinks are so expensive!!! I'm going in August and thinking I better bring extra money! :eek:

Edited by Lthouselady
misspelling

I guess "expensive" is always relative to what one's accustomed to and where one lives. In NYC, $10 for a drink is considered to be on the low end for drink prices and that's without a souvenir glass. Seriously, what resort or travel destination bar can you find where it's significantly lower?

Here is the bar menu that was on my Gem sailing back in Jan 2012. I guess it's possible that the prices have gone up since January but, if not, I think the prices are fairly reasonable. I see a White Russian for $6. I think that's very reasonable.

IMG_4109.jpg

IMG_4110.jpg

IMG_4111.jpg

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

Now those prices look to be more my style. I know that in Boston 'proper' the drinks are always $10 +, but I live an hour north in Southern NH and there's NO WAY I'd pay that much for a white Russian here. I knew they'd be more on a ship, of course, but something about $11. for a non alcoholic smoothie just rubbed me the wrong way. I can definitely see $7 or $8 for a drink though.

Thank you for posting that..........I feel much better. :D

Now those prices look to be more my style. I know that in Boston 'proper' the drinks are always $10 +, but I live an hour north in Southern NH and there's NO WAY I'd pay that much for a white Russian here. I knew they'd be more on a ship, of course, but something about $11. for a non alcoholic smoothie just rubbed me the wrong way. I can definitely see $7 or $8 for a drink though.

Thank you for posting that..........I feel much better. :D

I do agree that $11 for a non-alcoholic smoothie is ridiculous (souvenir glass or not).

Just off the GEM a few weeks ago. While the drink prices are more than your average hole in wall bar prices back home I didn't think that they were unreasonable for a floating resort. I've been on many land based vacations where I have paid the same if not more for a drink.

Sometimes the price is a couple of dollars higher due to it being in a souvenir (plastic) mug. I have just said "No" please bring it to me in a regular glass & it is always a couple dollars cheaper. The alcohol is one of their big money makers, so the crew is told to be motivated about selling drinks, souvenir mug or not. Although, I strongly agree that $11.00 or even $9.00 is way too much for a smoothie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget the smoothies. Fill a glass with chilled fruit soup at the buffet for lunch and dinner time.

I just saw the dailies for the Boston to Bermuda cruises on the Dawn this year. The non alcoholic smoothie of the day was $11.00!!!!!! (in a souvenir glass) Are they kidding????? That was even more than the actual DRINK of the day which was $9-10 (also in a souvenir glass)

Anyone know what they charge for a regular drink (like a white russian or a glass of wine) or smoothie in a NON souvenir glass?

I can't believe the drinks are so expensive!!! I'm going in August and thinking I better bring extra money! :eek:

Simple solution - do not drink.

DON

On our last cruise I ordered a Rebellious Fish because I wanted the souvenir glass, not knowing what it looked like. Without knowing I wanted the glass, the waiter brought it in a regular glass because he said he wanted to save me money. I appreciated that on his part and after seeing a glass, decided he was right, lol!

I know! I very rarely have anything alcoholic and when I do it's usually a glass of red wine. But I was with a group of friends for a celebration about a month ago and ordered a lemon drop. I was shocked later to get a bill for over $11.00 which included the tax. That's a lot of profit!

I'm happy to just drink pop, water, coffee or tea.

Look some of us (like me) like to have few drinks on our vacation. If the cost gets too high we go less or look for other trips. If you do not drink good for you but do not hold it against us to look for deal or complain if the prices get to high. I guess the alt is to sneak it on and then we open up a Pandora's box of the ethics of that.

I look for the 2 for 1's, buckets of beer and Martini tastings and enjoy them.

As a Ice tea I am lucky and I have something on NCL that I like. I also get few extra cups of juice I keep in the fridge in am. I wish they served some juices or lemon-aid all day on the buffets.

I will think about the fruit soups as smoothie next time.

Count on one thing here someone will defend any policy.

Forget the smoothies. Fill a glass with chilled fruit soup at the buffet for lunch and dinner time.

Like this idea!!

Thats crazy! It doesnt have alcohol in it. I dont really drink but I love to have.a smoothie while at sea, $11 is just too much.

When we did our Southern Caribbean cruise in January, I found out that a lot of beach bars were charging $7 for a CAN of COKE. Some were less but not a lot less. Coke was actually cheaper on the ship than in many ports.

Smoothies are expenive drinks because of the process to make them and all the ingredients. It is not fair to compare a smoothie to another alcoholic drink. Smoothies use real fruit, etc.

I live in Miami and please DONT tell NCL this but the drink prices on board are way less than on land anywhere in Miami or Miami Beach.

In Miami you will pay $9-$12 for a martini, $6 for a bottle of beer, etc

On board, the prices are less even with the gratuity added.

You can reduce the drink price when asking them to not include the souvenier glass. But someone posted here awhile ago that NCL now has the same price for either glass. I guess NCL caught on to our system LOL

I had an alcoholic smoothie in Posh on the Epic and it was amazing. It had a little rum in it. I think it was $10 or $12.

Smoothie King sells a large smoothie without extra features for $8.50 here in Miami.

So I love the drink prices on the ships ;)

Edited by david_sobe

I know! I very rarely have anything alcoholic and when I do it's usually a glass of red wine. But I was with a group of friends for a celebration about a month ago and ordered a lemon drop. I was shocked later to get a bill for over $11.00 which included the tax. That's a lot of profit!

I'm happy to just drink pop, water, coffee or tea.

A decent glass of red at a restaurant, wine bar, hotel or resort may easily exceed that amount.

Ask for the house brand of alcohol and just a regular glass. Also, watch for specials. On the Sun recently, they offered a "mega Mary" which was a double sized bloody Mary, double alcohol, for just a buck more ($6.25). Got a lot of vitamins, vegtables, and alcohol during that cruise.

Years ago they told us the drinks were duty free when we sailed into international waters and the prices were reasonable. But that notion seems to have gone out the window and it's just another offset for the reduced ticket prices these days. Alcohol is a massive profit maker for cruise lines and yes the service is second to none as they try to get you to buy.

Years ago they told us the drinks were duty free when we sailed into international waters and the prices were reasonable. But that notion seems to have gone out the window and it's just another offset for the reduced ticket prices these days. Alcohol is a massive profit maker for cruise lines and yes the service is second to none as they try to get you to buy.

As a very light drinker (on ships, due to cost) I'd like them to continue making their money on drinks and not have to add it to our fare. :)

I honestly don't see any difference between now and "years ago". Prices for drinks have always been resort-level on cruise ships, meaning they're not cheap. Alcohol sales have always been a major revenue source for mainstream cruise ships, at least as long as I've been taking cruises (almost 30 years). To me, the prices were reasonable years ago and they're still reasonable, given the context (i.e., travel/entertainment venue).

How much are smoothies at places like Orange-Julius these days??? :confused: I recall them being quite expensive even years ago.

A smoothie and a non alcoholic, frozen foo-foo are 2 totally different things....

Edited by halos

I don't drink normally but now that I am pregnant I won't be drinking at all. However, my husband does enjoy a drink here and there and we agreed that a 2 drink limit each night is reasonable. We budgeted approx. $15 to $20 a night so hearing the prices are a little below that makes me happy.

Quick question though, are the drinks strong or not so strong?

Megan =)

I don't drink normally but now that I am pregnant I won't be drinking at all. However, my husband does enjoy a drink here and there and we agreed that a 2 drink limit each night is reasonable. We budgeted approx. $15 to $20 a night so hearing the prices are a little below that makes me happy.

Quick question though, are the drinks strong or not so strong?

Megan =)

I've always found them to be about medium. If you have a favorite bartender who knows you, sometimes those drinks will get a bit stronger.

As others have mentioned I thought the drink prices were really no higher than any chain restaurant or local bar to my area. I would love it of course if it was cheaper but it is what it is.

We like to have a good time and drinking is part of it. We budgeted a serious chunk of money for on board expenses so it was a big deal as we knew what we were looking at going in. The tastings, and beer buckets do help save some money.

I also noticed that toward the end of the week the servers at the pool made sure the drinks were plenty strong. Needless to say our favorite server got a little extra tip which I am sure he appreciated.

As a very light drinker (on ships, due to cost) I'd like them to continue making their money on drinks and not have to add it to our fare. :)

Same here. Gives more freedom of choice.

The cruise fare alone is a breakeven or small loss proposition - cruise line profitability comes from on board charges like alcohol.

Edited by dwjoe

We did the Dawn from Boston to Bermuda on 4/27. They actually had signs on a couple of the bars that stated that the souvenir cup was an additional $2.75. This was our sixth cruise and this is the first time I had seen these signs. We were on the Dawn last September and I did not see them.

I honestly don't see any difference between now and "years ago". Prices for drinks have always been resort-level on cruise ships, meaning they're not cheap. Alcohol sales have always been a major revenue source for mainstream cruise ships, at least as long as I've been taking cruises (almost 30 years). To me, the prices were reasonable years ago and they're still reasonable, given the context (i.e., travel/entertainment venue).

Not in our waters, I remember paying about half the normal land price for drinks back in the 70s when it was duty free, but I admit ticket prices were a lot dearer than they are now relatively speaking.

Not in our waters, I remember paying about half the normal land price for drinks back in the 70s when it was duty free, but I admit ticket prices were a lot dearer than they are now relatively speaking.

Could be. I can't comment on drink prices in the 70s. I've only been sailing since the early 80s.

As far as cruise fares in general, however, you are right. If you look at today's prices, they are incredibly low compared to 20-30-40 years ago once you adjust for inflation.

Hi,

Don't suppose anybody knows how much a bottle of bubbly will cost on the NCL ship's do they?

:D

Hi,

Don't suppose anybody knows how much a bottle of bubbly will cost on the NCL ship's do they?

We paid the same price for our bottle of wine that they were charging on the the NCL site bon voyage gifts.

They do have some specials for wine and maybe champagne (I don't know) when you first board the ship. Sorry we didn't look at those or buy any from there so I cannot give you more details about that.

I'm going in August and thinking I better bring extra money! :eek:

Always a good idea when going on vacation. Plenty of ways to spend money while on vacation. Have a great cruise. :)

Hi,

Here you go.

NCL_Wine_List_05.jpg

Also don't forget the tip that is included in the price. Beverage costs are something we budget for appropriately and keep in mind during consumption. We always tell them to keep the special glass since we don't want it anyway. Enjoy!!

If you go on the NCL website and click the Bon Voyage gifts you can down load the fleet wide wine list with prices.