Drinks on the Dawn....seriously???

Lthouselady

I just saw the dailies for the Boston to Bermuda cruises on the Dawn this year. The non alcoholic smoothie of the day was $11.00!!!!!! (in a souvenir glass) Are they kidding????? That was even more than the actual DRINK of the day which was $9-10 (also in a souvenir glass)

Anyone know what they charge for a regular drink (like a white russian or a glass of wine) or smoothie in a NON souvenir glass?

I can't believe the drinks are so expensive!!! I'm going in August and thinking I better bring extra money! :eek:

I guess "expensive" is always relative to what one's accustomed to and where one lives. In NYC, $10 for a drink is considered to be on the low end for drink prices and that's without a souvenir glass. Seriously, what resort or travel destination bar can you find where it's significantly lower?

Here is the bar menu that was on my Gem sailing back in Jan 2012. I guess it's possible that the prices have gone up since January but, if not, I think the prices are fairly reasonable. I see a White Russian for $6. I think that's very reasonable.

IMG_4109.jpg

IMG_4110.jpg

IMG_4111.jpg

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

Now those prices look to be more my style. I know that in Boston 'proper' the drinks are always $10 +, but I live an hour north in Southern NH and there's NO WAY I'd pay that much for a white Russian here. I knew they'd be more on a ship, of course, but something about $11. for a non alcoholic smoothie just rubbed me the wrong way. I can definitely see $7 or $8 for a drink though.

Thank you for posting that..........I feel much better. :D

Now those prices look to be more my style. I know that in Boston 'proper' the drinks are always $10 +, but I live an hour north in Southern NH and there's NO WAY I'd pay that much for a white Russian here. I knew they'd be more on a ship, of course, but something about $11. for a non alcoholic smoothie just rubbed me the wrong way. I can definitely see $7 or $8 for a drink though.

Thank you for posting that..........I feel much better. :D

I do agree that $11 for a non-alcoholic smoothie is ridiculous (souvenir glass or not).

Just off the GEM a few weeks ago. While the drink prices are more than your average hole in wall bar prices back home I didn't think that they were unreasonable for a floating resort. I've been on many land based vacations where I have paid the same if not more for a drink.

Sometimes the price is a couple of dollars higher due to it being in a souvenir (plastic) mug. I have just said "No" please bring it to me in a regular glass & it is always a couple dollars cheaper. The alcohol is one of their big money makers, so the crew is told to be motivated about selling drinks, souvenir mug or not. Although, I strongly agree that $11.00 or even $9.00 is way too much for a smoothie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just saw the dailies for the Boston to Bermuda cruises on the Dawn this year. The non alcoholic smoothie of the day was $11.00!!!!!! (in a souvenir glass) Are they kidding????? That was even more than the actual DRINK of the day which was $9-10 (also in a souvenir glass)

Anyone know what they charge for a regular drink (like a white russian or a glass of wine) or smoothie in a NON souvenir glass?

I can't believe the drinks are so expensive!!! I'm going in August and thinking I better bring extra money! :eek:

Simple solution - do not drink.

DON

On our last cruise I ordered a Rebellious Fish because I wanted the souvenir glass, not knowing what it looked like. Without knowing I wanted the glass, the waiter brought it in a regular glass because he said he wanted to save me money. I appreciated that on his part and after seeing a glass, decided he was right, lol!

I know! I very rarely have anything alcoholic and when I do it's usually a glass of red wine. But I was with a group of friends for a celebration about a month ago and ordered a lemon drop. I was shocked later to get a bill for over $11.00 which included the tax. That's a lot of profit!

I'm happy to just drink pop, water, coffee or tea.

Look some of us (like me) like to have few drinks on our vacation. If the cost gets too high we go less or look for other trips. If you do not drink good for you but do not hold it against us to look for deal or complain if the prices get to high. I guess the alt is to sneak it on and then we open up a Pandora's box of the ethics of that.

I look for the 2 for 1's, buckets of beer and Martini tastings and enjoy them.

As a Ice tea I am lucky and I have something on NCL that I like. I also get few extra cups of juice I keep in the fridge in am. I wish they served some juices or lemon-aid all day on the buffets.

I will think about the fruit soups as smoothie next time.

Count on one thing here someone will defend any policy.

When we did our Southern Caribbean cruise in January, I found out that a lot of beach bars were charging $7 for a CAN of COKE. Some were less but not a lot less. Coke was actually cheaper on the ship than in many ports.

Smoothies are expenive drinks because of the process to make them and all the ingredients. It is not fair to compare a smoothie to another alcoholic drink. Smoothies use real fruit, etc.

I live in Miami and please DONT tell NCL this but the drink prices on board are way less than on land anywhere in Miami or Miami Beach.

In Miami you will pay $9-$12 for a martini, $6 for a bottle of beer, etc

On board, the prices are less even with the gratuity added.

You can reduce the drink price when asking them to not include the souvenier glass. But someone posted here awhile ago that NCL now has the same price for either glass. I guess NCL caught on to our system LOL

I had an alcoholic smoothie in Posh on the Epic and it was amazing. It had a little rum in it. I think it was $10 or $12.

Smoothie King sells a large smoothie without extra features for $8.50 here in Miami.

So I love the drink prices on the ships ;)

I know! I very rarely have anything alcoholic and when I do it's usually a glass of red wine. But I was with a group of friends for a celebration about a month ago and ordered a lemon drop. I was shocked later to get a bill for over $11.00 which included the tax. That's a lot of profit!

I'm happy to just drink pop, water, coffee or tea.

A decent glass of red at a restaurant, wine bar, hotel or resort may easily exceed that amount.

Ask for the house brand of alcohol and just a regular glass. Also, watch for specials. On the Sun recently, they offered a "mega Mary" which was a double sized bloody Mary, double alcohol, for just a buck more ($6.25). Got a lot of vitamins, vegtables, and alcohol during that cruise.

Years ago they told us the drinks were duty free when we sailed into international waters and the prices were reasonable. But that notion seems to have gone out the window and it's just another offset for the reduced ticket prices these days. Alcohol is a massive profit maker for cruise lines and yes the service is second to none as they try to get you to buy.

Years ago they told us the drinks were duty free when we sailed into international waters and the prices were reasonable. But that notion seems to have gone out the window and it's just another offset for the reduced ticket prices these days. Alcohol is a massive profit maker for cruise lines and yes the service is second to none as they try to get you to buy.

As a very light drinker (on ships, due to cost) I'd like them to continue making their money on drinks and not have to add it to our fare. :)

I honestly don't see any difference between now and "years ago". Prices for drinks have always been resort-level on cruise ships, meaning they're not cheap. Alcohol sales have always been a major revenue source for mainstream cruise ships, at least as long as I've been taking cruises (almost 30 years). To me, the prices were reasonable years ago and they're still reasonable, given the context (i.e., travel/entertainment venue).

Archived