My ship may sail without me tomorrow

vacruizer

Back in er. No embellishment from me. I want an accurate assessment. Went thru triage about 45 min ago and hav ebeen in waiting room ever since so they must not think i'm too bad off.

Family dr said to not eat or drink anything and come back to er so am guessing surgery.

vacruizer,

Don't assume you are OK just because you're in the waiting room; full ER really does mean full unlike when they say the hospital is full.

Did they say how many patients are ahead of you? What was your temperature and did you take any tylenol, motrin or other fever reducer?

Glad you went back in. Remember be a advocate for yourself!!! Your husband can do the samr for you. DOn't take NO for a answer. You are in way to much pain and the fever on top of it. Best wishes and a speedy recovery for you.

This feels like watching a tv show and being left waiting to find out what happens next. I'm sure a happy ending for you.

Take care.

vacruizer,

Don't assume you are OK just because you're in the waiting room; full ER really does mean full unlike when they say the hospital is full.

Did they say how many patients are ahead of you? What was your temperature and did you take any tylenol, motrin or other fever reducer?

No idea how many are ahead of me. Waiting room was full when we got here.... only a few people now. Fever is mild but family dr was concerned. Body temp was way low last week.....like 97.0. Just over 99 at home but that was after taking vicodin that has aceteminophen in it. And i feel fevery now where i haven't before today. Also way more discomfort and more pain today.

I your pain gets too bad just tell them you are either going to pass out or throw up in their waiting room. That should speed things up!

dixieva,

I agree it should, but don't count on it. Full is full. I'd hand them a convenience bag and remind them not to stand if they think they're going to pass out. We hear this at least a dozen times per day and people throw up non stop while waiting. Unless they bring a room with them, there aren't any.

Please don't assume that I or any triage person likes sending people to the waiting room. We'd like nothing more than to take everyone straight to a room and have them seen quickly, but when the volume is such that all rooms are full, then we have no other options.

On every level it's a shame that our health care system is ran such that people who are really sick don't have access to acute care due to the overwhelming burden of pain pill seekers and people seeking primary care at ERs. vacruiser has an appropriate complaint to be at an ER, but I guarantee you that more than 50% of the people ahead of her and already in the ER have no business there.

Without bringing politics into the equation, I can tell you for a fact that in mid 2009 it got a whole lot worse and has steadily worsened since then.

Glad you went back in. Remember be a advocate for yourself!!! Your husband can do the samr for you. DOn't take NO for a answer. You are in way to much pain and the fever on top of it. Best wishes and a speedy recovery for you.

This feels like watching a tv show and being left waiting to find out what happens next. I'm sure a happy ending for you.

Take care.

I feel really weird being the center of attention around here. :o Had no idea this would turn into all this. But it's really nice knowing i have so much support out there in cruise land...:)b

No idea how many are ahead of me. Waiting room was full when we got here.... only a few people now. Fever is mild but family dr was concerned. Body temp was way low last week.....like 97.0. Just over 99 at home but that was after taking vicodin that has aceteminophen in it. And i feel fevery now where i haven't before today. Also way more discomfort and more pain today.

vacruizer,

I suspected it would be full around then, but it's really good that only a few are left now. To me that means they were late clearing out last nights admits and now they can get people in and out.

If they suspect a long delay they'll begin drawing blood via protocol orders from patients in the waiting room so they'll know in advance what your white count is as well as your digestive enzyme levels. If they do this then the ER doc will know quickly whether you'll be going home or admitted; opt for admission if offered so you'll get the GI / surgery consult within the next 24 hours as opposed to whenever they have an opening.

I feel really weird being the center of attention around here. :o Had no idea this would turn into all this. But it's really nice knowing i have so much support out there in cruise land...:)b

vacruizer,

We cruise with each other thru our shared experiences about our cruises so why wouldn't we be with you for your missed cruise too? ;) Gotta take the bad with the good.

Just think, here in a day or so you'll be able to think about where you're gonna go for your feeling better cruise! :cool:

Paul... you are very right. There's been some pretty strange sights in here.:p

vacruizer,

LOL, you've seen first hand why I despise Jerry Springer shows? It's amazing the things I've seen and I'm sorry you're having to see them. :o

We're all pulling for you. Also everyone here feels horrible that you also had to miss out on your cruise in which everyone literally counts down the minutes to. Wish there was something we all could do to help you out now.

Just let's get you better so you can enjoy many more DOD's on your next cruise.

Medic---thanks for all your input...it has been very interesting to read and I'm sure helpful to vacruiser.

We're all pulling for you. Also everyone here feels horrible that you also had to miss out on your cruise in which everyone literally counts down the minutes to. Wish there was something we all could do to help you out now.

Just let's get you better so you can enjoy many more DOD's on your next cruise.

Medic---thanks for all your input...it has been very interesting to read and I'm sure helpful to vacruiser.

Yes... very much helpful input from paul. Still in the waiting room. What's odd is that we've seen a bunch of people come in after us, be treated, and leave.:confused:

I'm sure there's a reason, though. My dh is more upset than i am i think. I just want it fixed.

Y........ What's odd is that we've seen a bunch of people come in after us, be treated, and leave.:confused:

vacruizer,

Those would be cuts, scrapes, bruises, minor fractures, medication refills etc. Complaints that can be dealt with quickly by a midlevel (Physican Assistant, Nurse Practitioner, or new doc not ready for ER) and quickly referred elsewhere or treated and streeted. Those patients are normally seen in a separate area of the ER and do not need full workups.

All higher volume ERs have either a clinic to refer to immediately from triage or a low accuity area for the fast track patients. Don't worry, they aren't taking your ER bed even though it may seem that they are.

vacruizer,

Those would be cuts, scrapes, bruises, minor fractures, medication refills etc. Complaints that can be dealt with quickly by a midlevel (Physican Assistant, Nurse Practitioner, or new doc not ready for ER) and quickly referred elsewhere or treated and streeted. Those patients are normally seen in a separate area of the ER and do not need full workups.

All higher volume ERs have either a clinic to refer to immediately from triage or a low accuity area for the fast track patients. Don't worry, they aren't taking your ER bed even though it may seem that they are.

I figured something like that might be the case. Dh just asked about wait time and you are right....no beds. I would really love to lie down, though!

I agree with the others. The Squeeky wheel... 4 hours is a long time. I had many gallbladder attacks before I had mine out (20 years ago) and was never in as much pain as you seem to be in. I am wondering if it might be divaticulitus. I am not sure if I spelled that right.

Hope you get seen soon and get some answers. Just cry alot and refuse to leave.

I really think this is rotten that this person, who obviously needs immediate care, has to wait so long. I'm not blaming the emergency room or the doctors but the people who are there but obviously not in need of emergency care. The last time I visited one (broke my ankle while walking my dog at night) I couldn't believe the amount of people there with colds, headaches or just wanted hugs from the doctors. I'm not sure what the solution is.

I really think this is rotten that this person, who obviously needs immediate care, has to wait so long. I'm not blaming the emergency room or the doctors but the people who are there but obviously not in need of emergency care. The last time I visited one (broke my ankle while walking my dog at night) I couldn't believe the amount of people there with colds, headaches or just wanted hugs from the doctors. I'm not sure what the solution is.

She is in a small town that usually has great service so surprised she has had to wait this long. Have not seen any posts lately so hopefully she is finally being treated.

Archived