Live from the Sapphire - May 12, LA to Vancouver

Coral

Maureen - I haven't chatted with you but I can say I have followed some of your posts and it sounds like you and Garret have had some fabulous adventures! Antarctica! I will see if I can get in that room on turn around day. Marilyn (mii) had a front suite on a sailing and she posted pictures several years ago. It is an odd room, but large. I read that you got an upsell months in advance which is really weird. I am sure you will enjoy it! Yes - my mom is with me on this sailing

Theresa - I would love to get the chance to cruise with you and your mom again. I told the people on our role call to follow your thread for the Alaskan ports as you are such a veteran cruiser. Garrit had a wonderful time in Antarctica with our son. (who is heading back to Afghanistan as we speak - that's why we had to move the cruise forward a year from when we originally planned in 2013). We also had a wonderful time with a gathering old cruising friends on Oceania from Rio to Barcelona. Have a wonderful time on your trip - can't wait to read your posts!!

Maureen

Hi Theresa,

We sailed with you On the Star to Alaska in 2009.

I'm so excited that you get to cruise for 3 weeks!!!!! That woukd be my dream to spend 3 weeks in Alaska!!!!!!

I can't wait to hear more of your "Live"

Debbie

The flat screens were put in around January and February of 2011. The only other difference is the new deck furniture. We are on Emerald deck.

Hi Coral...what cabin are you in on Emerald? We have an Emerald cabin booked on Sapphire Oct 2013...it is E731 and really excited about getting it.

We were on the Sapphire in July and had E715...great covered balcony mini-suite. It was one of the quietest cabins we have had.

I thought the ship was really nice in July so I'll bet it is even nicer now!

Greetings from the day at sea.

Yesterday afternoon - SFO did get sunny and it turned out to be a nice day. Though it was cool in the evening when we sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Today is our only sea day and the ship was quite busy. Yesterday morning (as we didn't get into port until 10) and this morning had a very busy breakfast crowd in the dining room. We went to the pizzeria again today for lunch and there was a line to get in. At one point, there were 20 people in line for the pizzeria. I asked one of the guys if it was crowded at night and he said no. While eating pizza in the atrium, I noticed the atrium went "pink" around the elevators. I don't remember reading this in the reviews but one of the waiters said they added this at dry dock. He said they go several colors but I just saw "pink".

The shops and atriums were quite busy today.

I have done this itinerary before and this seems to be a cooler trip then I remember.

The menus are slightly different then the last time we sailed. Also, I miss CNN. The formal nights were the 2nd night and in Astoria, not the day at sea.

Maureen - I haven't chatted with you but I can say I have followed some of your posts and it sounds like you and Garret have had some fabulous adventures! Antarctica! I will see if I can get in that room on turn around day. Marilyn (mii) had a front suite on a sailing and she posted pictures several years ago. It is an odd room, but large. I read that you got an upsell months in advance which is really weird. I am sure you will enjoy it! Yes - my mom is with me on this sailing

Theresa - I would love to get the chance to cruise with you and your mom again. I told the people on our role call to follow your thread for the Alaskan ports as you are such a veteran cruiser. Garrit had a wonderful time in Antarctica with our son. (who is heading back to Afghanistan as we speak - that's why we had to move the cruise forward a year from when we originally planned in 2013). We also had a wonderful time with a gathering old cruising friends on Oceania from Rio to Barcelona. Have a wonderful time on your trip - can't wait to read your posts!!

Maureen

I think when we sailed with you, my brother was in Iraq and so was your son. Wishing your son good luck in Afghanistan. My friends son just came back 2 months early from there, hoping your son is not over there for too long!

I don't have much booked in Alaska as I am with my mom. We are doing a few boat rides. Not sure if my live reports will have much useful information :). We are booked on the 26 glacier trip in Whittier and I am doing the 10 hour Tracy Arm boat ride. Trying to decide if we should do Misty Fiords via boat ride or not. I think we may just explore the town and play it by year.

Hi Theresa,

We sailed with you On the Star to Alaska in 2009.

I'm so excited that you get to cruise for 3 weeks!!!!! That woukd be my dream to spend 3 weeks in Alaska!!!!!!

I can't wait to hear more of your "Live"

Debbie

That trip was over the 4th of July and the last time I was in Alaska! We are doing a coastal and then 2 weeks in Alaska. Hoping for great weather like our last cruise!

Hi Coral...what cabin are you in on Emerald? We have an Emerald cabin booked on Sapphire Oct 2013...it is E731 and really excited about getting it.

We are in E731 for 3 weeks. It is a great cabin!

I do have to add I am not a fan of the new chairs on deck though. They look nice but are not as comfortable as the old ones.

Thanks for posting your live from. I'm enjoying reading it. I've considered doing a Coastal but still not sure. I was on the Sapphire last Saturday as well for the BVE. The ship does look beautiful

Michelle

(former CC name chloedmom)

That trip was over the 4th of July and the last time I was in Alaska! We are doing a coastal and then 2 weeks in Alaska. Hoping for great weather like our last cruise!

It was great weather. Not too hot & Not too cold! I'm hoping for that good of weather this time. It was also the last time we were in Alaska!

Enjoy your cruise!

Debbie

Coral,

How many chairs are on your balcony? I didn't know if there was extra seating since it is oversized. We plan to host family members on it during our August trip in that cabin. Thanks for the live posts!

2 chairs and 2 foot stools and one table. Room steward Freddie is very accommodating.

Thanks for posting your live from. I'm enjoying reading it. I've considered doing a Coastal but still not sure. I was on the Sapphire last Saturday as well for the BVE. The ship does look beautiful

Michelle

(former CC name chloedmom)

I like coastals but this is probably my least favorite itinerary. In the past we have stopped at Catalina Island and San Diego. These 2 are missing from this itinerary.

I like coastals but this is probably my least favorite itinerary. In the past we have stopped at Catalina Island and San Diego. These 2 are missing from this itinerary.

But if you really think about it though, this is not a normal "coastal" because the true intent of this trip is to reposition the ship in Vancouver for the summer. We did this 2 years ago and really enjoyed the stops in Astoria, Seattle and Victoria, but would really like to try one of the true coastal cruises with stops in the other California ports that you mentioned. I'm glad they are doing more of those.

I'm enjoying the live thread as well because we really enjoyed this itinerary and its fun to read about it again. Our only issue that cruise was disembarkation in Vancouver when it was mass confusion at Canada Place with their first big weekend of the cruise season there and 3 ships in at once. I hope that runs better for you'all this time and I hope you continue to have a great cruise!

But if you really think about it though, this is not a normal "coastal" because the true intent of this trip is to reposition the ship in Vancouver for the summer. We did this 2 years ago and really enjoyed the stops in Astoria, Seattle and Victoria, but would really like to try one of the true coastal cruises with stops in the other California ports that you mentioned. I'm glad they are doing more of those.

Our only issue that cruise was disembarkation in Vancouver when it was mass confusion at Canada Place with their first big weekend of the cruise season there and 3 ships in at once. I hope that runs better for you'all this time and I hope you continue to have a great cruise!

My last 3 coastals were all repositing from LA to Vancouver (or reverse) and they all went to Catalina and San Diego.

We are staying on the ship in Vancouver so hopefully it won't be crazy for us.

Yeah, I forgot Princess has multiple ships with all kind of variations on where they stop as they reposition to Vancouver. If anything I suppose there are lots of choices with different ports of call and different cruise lengths to interest everyone. Have a great time!

Coral we missed you at the M & G, see you are keeping this thread alive for us.

I have not had too much time to post, we have been busy. Off to see Astoria soon. I will write a review when I return, but for now I may not post much more on the live.

There have been several news media reports that on May 19 there will be about 19,000 cruise passengers embarking and disembarking from Vancouver!! The reports indicate their will be a huge shortage of cabs and are suggesting people use public transportation if possible. Not a good day to get off the ship.:confused:

Coral --- Doug H. told me you were on this cruise --- glad to hear you made it to Alaska this year. We are finally going on the Adventure Bound tour that you and Doug recommended a while back. Doug mentioned you were going again this year. What day will you be going? I am hoping you will be able to post a line or two about your experience before we leave --- our pre-cruise starts May 27th and our Adventure Bound trip is June 5th.

Have a FABULOUS time.

Karen

Karen I'm in Juneau on June 6th! Was going to try Adventure Bound again this year but I'm on the Sea Princess and we tender in rather than dock. Didn't think I'd make it in time and have some other friends in port that day also so I set up a lunch meeting instead. Sure would have been funny if we had ended up on the same tour, we missed by only one day :)

Greetings from Astoria!

It was a beautiful day in Astoria! Temps were probably in the 60's and sunny. It is funny sailing into Astoria as it appears we are going to hit a bridge but stop right before it!

Sapphire's buffet - I have to say I have always hated Princess's buffet but have to say I do like the new layout. Huge improvement! Kudos to Princess on improving this.

Tonight is formal night and Captain's Circle night. I have no clue what the cutoff was to make Most Traveled party as I obviously didn't make it.

Today we found our room steward from our last cruise - he was so nice and it was wonderful to run into him.

Sorry I missed Meet and Greet - when traveling with my mom - I seem to do Mom things and lose track of time.

Italy - I am doing AdventureBound on May 22nd I think. At least I hope to! I think I will need to run from my ship to their dock right when we dock.

Tomorrow is Seattle.

Theresa

Archived