Live from the Sapphire - May 12, LA to Vancouver

Coral

There have been several news media reports that on May 19 there will be about 19,000 cruise passengers embarking and disembarking from Vancouver!! The reports indicate their will be a huge shortage of cabs and are suggesting people use public transportation if possible. Not a good day to get off the ship.:confused:

Thanks for the warning - not even sure if I want to leave the ship that day!

Karen I'm in Juneau on June 6th! Was going to try Adventure Bound again this year but I'm on the Sea Princess and we tender in rather than dock. Didn't think I'd make it in time and have some other friends in port that day also so I set up a lunch meeting instead. Sure would have been funny if we had ended up on the same tour, we missed by only one day :)

Doug - Tendering and coordinating timing of excursions is always a challenge. Sorry you will have to miss AB this time around. Yes, it would have been funny if we ended up on the same tour.

Karen

Greetings from Astoria!

It was a beautiful day in Astoria! Temps were probably in the 60's and sunny. It is funny sailing into Astoria as it appears we are going to hit a bridge but stop right before it!

Sapphire's buffet - I have to say I have always hated Princess's buffet but have to say I do like the new layout. Huge improvement! Kudos to Princess on improving this.

Tonight is formal night and Captain's Circle night. I have no clue what the cutoff was to make Most Traveled party as I obviously didn't make it.

Today we found our room steward from our last cruise - he was so nice and it was wonderful to run into him.

Sorry I missed Meet and Greet - when traveling with my mom - I seem to do Mom things and lose track of time.

Italy - I am doing AdventureBound on May 22nd I think. At least I hope to! I think I will need to run from my ship to their dock right when we dock.

Tomorrow is Seattle.

Theresa

Theresa -- So kind of you to post your adventure; I am enjoying the read. Hopefully, your run to AB is not too far --- don't trip now. :D Wishing you great weather and lots of calving!

Karen

Greetings from Seattle!

Simply a gorgeous day here! The weather has been pretty good the entire week. We are doing Sterling Steakhouse tonight.

Will check in later when I have access to my laptop and not using my phone.

So glad no nori virus, ship looks great and everyone is happy on the ship.

Thursday/Seattle evening

Just some notes from today. I just walked into town today and didn't do an excursion. I then came back and contemplated swimming as the weather was so nice. It is currently drizzling. We could not have asked for a better day.

I still have some issues with MUTS and the implementation. Today near the pool was some beautiful sea music and sea scenes. I started reading my book and then all of a sudden they started blasting music from the speakers on top of the sea music from MUTS. Uggh! I stayed a little bit and then the music from the speakers stopped and I had hope and then a Barry Manilow concert started. Everyone who was reading at the pool (which consisted of everyone) then left the pool area. If only they had kept the calming sea music on MUTS for the day.

I did get some sun (I like to think of it as Vitamin D) today.

We did Sterling Steakhouse tonight and it was good. Tonight was Chef's dinner which isn't one of my favorites so this was perfect. It is staffed at night by what seems like the entire daytime (Alfredos) pizzeria staff. I had to ask the manager who was working at the pizzeria???

Tomorrow is Victoria and we are going to the Gardens.

I just looked at the Patter and the Most Traveled person has 847 days and is from California.

I really miss CNN. Not a Fox News Fan. I wish they would have both for those who have a preference. Not a very good selection of movies on tv this week.

Is it really sprinkling in Seattle? It isn't here, which is nice. We still have some clear sky. Amazing what a short distance away can do to the weather. But the wind is starting to come up some. Hopefully it will not be windy tomorrow for Victoria.

Glad Sterling's was good tonight. Thought about your dinner when I saw what I put on the table. Was fine, but not as good as yours.

Call me when you can from Alaska.

Susan

Is it really sprinkling in Seattle? It isn't here, which is nice. We still have some clear sky. Amazing what a short distance away can do to the weather. But the wind is starting to come up some. Hopefully it will not be windy tomorrow for Victoria.

Glad Sterling's was good tonight. Thought about your dinner when I saw what I put on the table. Was fine, but not as good as yours.

Call me when you can from Alaska.

Susan

I walked out on the balcony and everything was wet when looking outside at town. Our balcony is covered so I was nice and dry :) Not sure if they got a harder rain earlier but it was misting when I was outside.

I forgot to say that we asked about tipping on the receipt for Sterlings. Our waiter (who was great) said that if we tipped on the receipt, it is shared in the entire pool but if we tipped in cash, he got to keep it (though he was more diplomatic about it indicating either is appreciated). So I ran back to my room to tip him as he was quite good.

There have been several news media reports that on May 19 there will be about 19,000 cruise passengers embarking and disembarking from Vancouver!! The reports indicate their will be a huge shortage of cabs and are suggesting people use public transportation if possible. Not a good day to get off the ship.:confused:

The usual ''media-panic'' reporting...

1/ there will be approx 9500 folks debarking, over two terminals

2/ there will be 10000 max embarking on the same 4 ships, again over 2 terminals

3/Cabs have been aware of this '' twice a year -repo day'' for years and there will be maximum deployment..still an excellent suggestion to use public transit for those folks who can

Yes, it will be a buzy day (same repo day every year is like that) but this year, it's ~~ 1 week later and our season has already started ~~ 2 weeks ago. So, the ''break in'' time is almost done.

But the media has the nasty habit of pressing the doom's day panic button even before the day arrives !!

Patience will work wonders. But ''doom's day '' it is not.....( one ought to have been around some 2 and 3 years ago when they had 6 ships on repo-day in the spring AND fall....now,that was bedlam.....specially the spring repo day which was also the 2nd day of the season...:eek:)

Just my opinion.

Cheers

We apparently had a crew member commit suicide last night by jumping off of the ship - or at least that is what we have heard. Several people have said that he was a member of the waitstaff and of Mexican descent. They did a call of his name in all the public places last night and then several hours later they did a call into all rooms in the middle of the night.

Today was Victoria and we went to Butchard Gardens and had Tea there. My first time ever having tea anywhere.

It was a nice day weather wise an the Norweigen Jewel was in port also with us.

We apparently had a crew member commit suicide last night by jumping off of the ship - or at least that is what we have heard. Several people have said that he was a member of the waitstaff and of Mexican descent. They did a call of his name in all the public places last night and then several hours later they did a call into all rooms in the middle of the night.
So sorry to hear this. Even if you didn't know him, it's still disturbing that someone would feel so hopeless. :(

That is so sad. I hope he is at peace now.

Hi Coral!!

Gosh - it has been a long time sonce we've chatted. I am really interested in your posts because Garrit and I are on a September Sapphire cruise tour. I have booked PS A104 so if you can sneak a peek or get some shots of that balcony - I will owe you :)

Is your mom also onboard? Have a great time!

Maureen

Uggh - I got B104. I will try to get Aloha 104 next time. If not, I hope they are similar. Sorry - I forgot the room number once I got on that side of the ship. It is an odd cabin.

I have to leave to go through Customs soon. I will try back later.

theresa

No worries - thanks for trying! If you can't get A104, maybe just send the other photo if you can. However "odd" doesn't sound that promising....maybe I should have saved the money and stayed BB on Caribe??? Too late now!

I though the views from the front port side would be really good. I hope I didn't outsmart myself. Hope you both have a great time on ther northbound!!

Coral..have so enjoyed your live report and all the great info. Since we will be sailing on Sapphire to HI in Feb, I can't get enough info!

Does the Sapphire have mini golf? I have an old brochure which shows cyber golf but on line, it shows a mini golf course. My husband wanted me to ask!

Thanks again for taking the time to report live while cruising.

Will write more later.

Just wanted to update some info. The guy who they thought committed suicide was found on the ship sleeping somewhere. He is fine!

The docks today were awful and turnaround was awful.

No worries - thanks for trying! If you can't get A104, maybe just send the other photo if you can. However "odd" doesn't sound that promising....maybe I should have saved the money and stayed BB on Caribe??? Too late now!

I though the views from the front port side would be really good. I hope I didn't outsmart myself. Hope you both have a great time on ther northbound!!

I think I can get the real cabin next week. I will send you the pics when I can. Send me an email with your email address so I can send you the pics.

Details?

It may have something to do with the Sapphire, Diamond and Zuiderdam all in port today. For some reason Vancouver doesn't seem to be able to get their act together at the beginning of Alaska season, especially with more then one ship in port.

Coral..have so enjoyed your live report and all the great info. Since we will be sailing on Sapphire to HI in Feb, I can't get enough info!

Does the Sapphire have mini golf? I have an old brochure which shows cyber golf but on line, it shows a mini golf course. My husband wanted me to ask!

Thanks again for taking the time to report live while cruising.

No, the mini golf course (behind the MUTS screen) has been transformed into the Lawn Court.

6805096434_933ea84649_z.jpg

Sapphire Princess 080 by RickEk, on Flickr

Archived