which ship

wilko1969

Need much more information before I can make a reasonable recommendation. Do you think you would prefer a larger ship or a smaller ship? Where would you like to cruise? Are you traveling with others? What types of activities do you enjoy? Are you a foodie who likes to try a variety of dining venues? What types of food do you enjoy? Both ships will be in your part of the world and you really won't go wrong with either. Solstice is the first of its class. Millennium is older, but has just been remodeled.

Ive never sailed on celebrity . I cant decide between Millennium and Solistice.Which would pick and why?Any feedback would be great. Thanks. Tracey

We've only done the Solstice. It was last June and in the Med. We were very impressed by the ship's design and style. Below are a few of my pictures to summarize its nice, exciting touches and class. We have not done the Millennium-class ships. Much also depends, in my view, on where you are going AND what you seek/like personally. Tell us more!!

We are booked on the Solstice for Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014 to go down your way to sail from Sidney to Auckland on first and exciting trip "down under". Look forward to this adventure on this ship. If we didn't like the Solstice, we would not have book for 2014 so quickly. Glad the Solstice is coming down your way.

You can see lots more on the Solstice food, entertainment, features, etc., from my live/blog connected below. Questions? Reactions??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 80,167 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship.:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

This is a view of the Solstice main pool area. Love the sun and activities here!:

SolsticeMainPoolView2.jpg

For entertainment in the Solstice Theatre, it was called “Solstice -- The Show” featuring a European-style dance, air acts, music, etc. Very dramatic and interesting as they swing, twirl and soar over the audience and stage. It is a “state-of-the-art” theatre with these "Cirque-type" dancers being able to “do their thing”. Here is one example of the “air show” put on by the show performers.:

SolsticeAirShowFinalTwo.jpg

For the handy and quick, especially at breakfast and lunch time, here is the Oceanview Cafe buffet on the Solstice. This visual sample shows how large and open are these various serving areas. This area includes getting items from the pizza-pasta bar area, various hot and cold items, free tea and juice machines, etc.:

SolsticeOceanviewBuffet1.jpg

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas on the Solstice. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design are there as a part of this sparkling ship facility.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

In the top, back area near the Sunset Bar with live grass, some enjoy this area by reading, playing on the lawn or sun-bathing there. Usually, it’s not too crowded!:

SolsticeLawnBackSunSoaking.jpg

Ive never sailed on celebrity . I cant decide between Millennium and Solistice.Which would pick and why?Any feedback would be great

Thanks

Tracey

Millie. The M-Class ships should have been reproduced rather than making the design flaws that we experience on S-Class ships.

Millie has the T-Pool and a full promenade.

The MDR has a huge window to the sea.

S-Class has a Grand Foyer/Atrium with a noise problem.

No T-Pool.

What they call a "promenade" is greatly abbreviated and used for the Life Boats.

The MDR has a wine rack at the back of the MDR.

The design of the S-Class ships seems to be for one reason: to sell more balcony cabins. There are few views of the sea from the inside of the ship except for Sky Lounge (used for Elite functions) and the bar areas at the back of the ship.

Lido deck on both types of ships have views of the sea.

The S-Class ships have a better Persian Garden.

The S-Class ships have a better buffet.

S-Class has splendid public restrooms for the ladies.

S-Class has a better cabin bathroom, but no clothes line.

M-Class has more storage in the cabins

A different cruiseline or Celebrity M-Class will be our choice for future cruises,

unless S-Class does something about the NOISE in the Foyer.

Maris

We have been on both ships and I would not pick one over the other....We just got off 25 days on the Equinox and we have cruises booked on the Millenium in Asia next year.

I admit to being partial to the Corning Museum hot glass shows which are unique to the Solstice/Equinox/Eclipse which I would find fascinating on land as well...but my wife has little interest in them. She finds other things to do.

I would take the S class. Just got off of the Summit and it is does not have the pizzaz as the S class.

Larger balconies, larger cabins, more luxurious lounge chairs and sitting options around the pools. Nicer public areas throughout the ship

Grass area is nice for night time lawn concerts or day time lawn games.

If you go AQ it is really better on the S class.

The Millenium is a beautiful ship. We have sailed on both Millenium and Constellation and enjoyed our cruises. Upscale and elegant and never felt crowded.

However, The S class ships are our favorite. We are about to take our 4th cruise on an S class and now always check their itineraries first when we want to cruise. The Atrium noise has never been an issue for us. We love the ambience, layout, and multitude of dining choices.The ship has a nice open feel.

Final decision for us would come down to price and itinerary, especially now that Millenium has been solsticized. Hopefully she will have the same ambience and feel as the solstice Class.

We appreciate Modern Luxury! :)

We love both classes of ship, and will happily sail either, with itinerary as the deciding factor. We'll be on the Millie for the first time in Spring 2013, but have been on two of her sister ships several times and love them (Summit is still my favourite ship). Went on both Solstice and her sister Eclipse last year and also loved those ships. Both have pros and cons. IMHO, you can't go wrong whichever you choose.

My wife and I have sailed on both classes numerous time and each offer their own advantage. For us it comes down to price and itinerary. Although we enjoy the S class marginally over the M class as it is more contemporary, the M class specialty restaurants i.e., Olympic is unparalleled to any other at sea IMHO.

Jon

Archived