Product for wet hair from ocean/pool

Ninja Jo

when I get out of the pool or ocean I want a hair product to put on my wet hair to keep it looking nice in between when I lay in the sun on my beach chair to when I'm out shopping at the street vendors. If I don't put some type of product on it, then when it dries it is frizzy and looks like a dog that went from dirty/wet to dry. Does this make any scene to anyone? I have naturally curly, (but not curly enough to be fabulous) very thick and coarse hair that is in layers. The underneath layers are more fabulous, but the top just kind of wimps out into wilted looking straggalies. :rolleyes: My hair seems to grow out big but not long:p. It was perfect for the 80''s when I was in high school.

There are "leave-in conditioners"...that may be what you're looking for.

I just pull my hair back when I know it will be getting wet....mine, too, looks awful if it dries naturally...a ponytail seems to be the easiest thing...once back on the ship, I shampoo and then make it look great!!!

I always take the leave in conditioner sprays with me. I have extremely thin hair that will frizz after being in the ocean and all of the salt. There's no way I can even get a brush or comb through it. So I take a bottle of the spray in conditioner and it's so easy to comb and it also gives me time to pull it up in a pony tail if needed. It works wonders. :)

Your hair sounds like mine, lol. I've been looking for answers to this question as well. From what I've read it is always a good idea to rinse your hair immediately after chlorine/saltwater and then apply a heavy helping of leave in conditioner. I just bought Garnier Fructis Leave in Conditioning Cream Sleek and Shine to try because it is cheap and rated half decent on the makeupalley website. Through the years I've also found that using more product works better for me. In the past I used everything sparingly because I was afraid of my hair getting weighed down but I've come to realize I need a generous amount of product, especially serums and leave-ins. I also like the organix moroccan argan oil (also a drugstore find) but I'm doubtful it will provide enough protection/smoothing on its own for a week in the Caribbean. That is why I'm trying different leave ins now.

Definitely the most important thing is to try and rinse out your hair if possible (I always try to find a freshwater shower and/or just use the water in the washroom sink if you can) cuz it's the salt and/or chlorine that can wreak havoc on your hair.

My hair 'becomes' very curly in humid weather - but does need some 'control' - my hairdresser recommended the Moroccan oil curl creme - I keep a small container in my beach bag (plastic travel jar) and once my hair is rinsed I work some thru my hair so my curls don't look all frizzy and messy! Another idea is to pack one of those 'sample' packets of shampoo and/or conditioner with you - and you can even do a quick wash/rinse if there is a shower around...

I also always pack a very heavy duty conditioner for use back on the ship to try and help my hair survive all the sun and ocean water!

Is there something you can put on your hair before you go in the water? I think I've heard about that technique ... never used it though, since I rarely go in the water. If your hair is already wet, with conditioner or serum or whatever, then the chlorine/salt/whatever can't get in to do damage?

Of course you'd still need something to look nice when you get out of the water!!

I use Humectress (Nexuss) conditioner and sometimes VO5. Old products but cheap and I keep coming back to them. JuJuba lotion curl enhancer works for my thin curly hair. In the summer I work on mind set! I try to believe that the short tight curls are really an attractive hair style -- because that's what it is going to be even if I'm unhappy with that. :o I find that coloring my hair with a box that has blended colors and highlights really helps. I do it about every 4 weeks and that seems to keep it from looking like straw. Keep the tips coming -- it gives us hope!

I don't have a curl on my head, never have, so I can't recommend a conditioner. But I will state the very best conditioner for any head of hair is a great haircut. Then, while you're in the chair getting that great haircut, ask the hairstylist for recommendations.

Yes, salon products are pricier, but more concentrated so you need less. Plus, if you have a recommendation for a good product specifically for your hair type, you won't end up with multiple bottles of stuff that doesn't work under the bathroom sink.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very similar problem to yours! I've found that there's no single "special" product that will work like magic. They're all very similar really. But, I do think leave-in conditioners work best in this situation. I always have a bottle or two (along with a wide-tooth comb) in my bag when I'm going to a pool or the beach.

Here's a little article that outlines some of the best leave-in conditioners: http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/best-leave-in-conditioner

ALSO! For curly-ish hair it's also really helpful to use a smoothing serum. I personally love John Freida's Frizz-Ease Hair Serum: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=165329&catid=183511

I have curly hair~ that I flat iron, but anyhoo~ these are some of the products that I use and just love~

love love love this one

http://www.sallybeauty.com/leave-in-treatment/SBS-539226,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

this one smells like an orange creamsicle

http://www.sallybeauty.com/leave-in-conditioner/SBS-302249,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair02-02-09

http://www.sallybeauty.com/ion-keratin-mist/SBS-302886,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

Your hair sounds like mine, lol. I've been looking for answers to this question as well. From what I've read it is always a good idea to rinse your hair immediately after chlorine/saltwater and then apply a heavy helping of leave in conditioner. I just bought Garnier Fructis Leave in Conditioning Cream Sleek and Shine to try because it is cheap and rated half decent on the makeupalley website. Through the years I've also found that using more product works better for me. In the past I used everything sparingly because I was afraid of my hair getting weighed down but I've come to realize I need a generous amount of product, especially serums and leave-ins. I also like the organix moroccan argan oil (also a drugstore find) but I'm doubtful it will provide enough protection/smoothing on its own for a week in the Caribbean. That is why I'm trying different leave ins now.

I use this product daily, in conjunction with Garnier Fructi's Sleek and Shine anti-frizz serum. Together they do a pretty decent job, but I still find that at the end of the day the bottom of my curly hair is a whole lot of frizz. Sigh.

take a water bottle with you. Fill with water before you go to the beach/pool. When you want, just dump the bottle on your head. Quick rinse :-) Then put on whatever product you want...

I also find that my curly hair behaves better when I do not wash it daily. I'll rinse it when I shower, but not wash. The hair gets too dry so it gets frizzed easier - a little oil is a good thing...

• 2 weeks later...
when I get out of the pool or ocean I want a hair product to put on my wet hair to keep it looking nice in between when I lay in the sun on my beach chair to when I'm out shopping at the street vendors. If I don't put some type of product on it, then when it dries it is frizzy and looks like a dog that went from dirty/wet to dry. Does this make any scene to anyone? I have naturally curly, (but not curly enough to be fabulous) very thick and coarse hair that is in layers. The underneath layers are more fabulous, but the top just kind of wimps out into wilted looking straggalies. :rolleyes: My hair seems to grow out big but not long:p. It was perfect for the 80''s when I was in high school.

I use Neutrogena leave in conditioner. You can also try a hair gel if you're pulling your hair back or putting it in a ponytail.

It's a 10 is an awesome leave in conditioner.

I agree...as a hairstylist I use this product very often.

Agree!!

Totally agree!!! I use their shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in.

Hats!

Also, I've found coconut oil works really well on salty hair. It conditions while the salt water offers a little hold. It is greasy, and it doesn't do anything styling-wise, but it calms the frizzies and conditions (assuming your hair reacts well to oil and not protein).

Where do you buy Its a 10 products? Do they sell it at drugstores/Target/Walmart or do you have to order online?

Not sure about the drugstore/Target/Walmart type stores. I am a cosmetologist, so I get it at a beauty supply store.

I found this site that sells online. http://www.sleekhair.com/its-a-10-ten-miracle.html

If you live near an Ulta, they sell it in their stores, but not online.

Archived