Does NCL have a "Signature" Dessert?

Carl Nival

I had a flourless chocolate torte in the MDR on our Jan. cruise on the Star. It was very good and was served with Raspberry sauce. On the MDR menu they have what they call their Signature Cheesecake but in my opinion it isn't nearly as good as NY cheesecake. Not as dense. The sundae in Cagney's is very good.

I miss the melting cake that Carnival has as well. The desserts are not anything to get excited about on NCL which might be a good thing.

We were pleasantly surprised by how yummy the key lime pie is in the MDR. It was served warm which was different. Tart and very good.

The cheesecake in the Blue Lagoon was also pretty good.

We loved the banana pancake dessert they had at Ginza as well. I'm not a banana fan and thought it was terrific.

Disappointed in the chocolate buffet. So beautiful to look at with so little taste. Kind of like most desserts in a Chinese restaurant buffet <IMHO>

OP, if you are missing the chocolate melting cake you can find an individual one that tastes just like it in the freezer section at your local Wal Mart especially if someone else heats it up for you and puts it on a nice plate. :)

I miss the warm melting chocolate cake too!!!! But we thought the desserts on the Dawn this past February were much better than on the Sun in 2011. We loved the strawberry cake they had lunchtime in the MDR. Yummy. And I love dessert.

Carnival has the chocolate melting cake. Does NCL have a dessert that is their signature dessert that can't be missed?

The one dessert I can't wait for....the Creme Brulee....omg so good...

On the Gem I believe there was an amazing strawberry cheesecake at the blue lagoon.....

I'm another fan of the NY style cheescake with raspberry sauce served in the Blue Lagoon. I would get a 'nightcap' after the late show each evening of a delicious slice with some decaf.:)

Also like the chocolate chip cookies served in the buffet's. They go fast, often as soon as they are put out, while the oatmeal, or raisin, or whatever last much longer. I sometimes will take a plate of them back to my cabin to munch on....;)

Carnival has the chocolate melting cake....

While it isn't a dessert, Royal Caribbean has their Honey Stung Chicken that is served at the Buffet on Emarkation Day. On other days you can now order it the from room service menu. :p

Desserts.

Spelled backwards........

Now we know the origin of the word.:)

WOW I never thought of that. So when stressed out get some desserts. And now it will be easier to remember how to spell it; stressed has two esses and desserts has esses!

Carnival has the chocolate melting cake. Does NCL have a dessert that is their signature dessert that can't be missed?

No signature items. However, we found many desserts we enjoyed on the Jade last year. the creme brulee is very good. I do agree that much of the stuff at the chocolate buffet isn't terrific.

the nice thing about the MDR...if you don't like what you order, ask for something else. Or just have two cuz you're hungry.

We sailed on the Dawn in April. Several of the desserts stood out. Among the unique flavors of ice cream/sherbet, I loved the kiwi. I wish I could have gotten it at the ice cream station. Also, the "chocolate decadence" was excellent, and aptly named. I loved the bread and butter pudding, which was rich and custardy with caramel tones.

Sadly, no. Most NCL desserts can be skipped without being missed. I usually just get some ice cream because most of the other desserts look nice but lack any real flavor or texture.

Some will bring up a couple of desserts from the surcharge specialty restaurants, but since those aren't served in the MDR, they don't really count.

I agree that NCL needs to improve on its desserts. Some are good, but compared to Celebrity, NCL has a way to go. We found that the Epic has pretty good food overall, but desserts could be improved on for variety and some for quality.

The crepe stand in the buffet enriched with hand dipped ice cream and sauces is pretty darn good....but then that becomes "your" signature dessert!!

When do they serve the crepes. Everyday? or just special days.

We are going on Epic Eastern Carribean if it makes a diffrence

I agree that NCL needs to improve on its desserts. Some are good, but compared to Celebrity, NCL has a way to go. We found that the Epic has pretty good food overall, but desserts could be improved on for variety and some for quality.

After 5 NCL cruises, we just got back from our first with Celebrity. Overall, we found the food on Celebrity to be so much better than NCL's food it was amazing. We are still NCL fans, we love freestyle, but foodwise -- no comparison.

A lot of votes coming in for the warm bread pudding. My Fiance absolutely loved it and I'll admit it was really good.

She was just talking about our upcoming cruise and mentioned the bread pudding!

I do not remember any dessert as extremely memorable on NCL.

But I think of the chilled fruit soup and pretzel bread/rolls when I think of NCL. Of course there are also memorable things in the specialty restaurants and the suite breakfast & lunch... but none are desserts, IMHO.

FWIW, I did not find Carnival's melting chocolate cake all that good. The first time we were served it, it was runny and raw. Then we made it in the Chef's table, (2 people were chosen from our group of 10). It was ok, not the end all people rant it to be. They are very easy to make. Have made them for family and friends.

After 5 NCL cruises, we just got back from our first with Celebrity. Overall, we found the food on Celebrity to be so much better than NCL's food it was amazing. We are still NCL fans, we love freestyle, but foodwise -- no comparison.

We also loved the food on X. Especially Normandie, the spa kiosk for breakfast and lunch and the (free) sushi.

X remains my second favorite line. The NCL suite perks keep me coming back.

An excellent way of putting it. And particularly anything called "chocolate" is tasteless. The "chocolate buffet"? Yuck. Brown stuff, occupying space. They can't be using real chocolate...

Exception: the chocolate fondue at Le Bistro is the real deal, but that's a specialty restaurant.

I often opt for the cheese plate in the MDR....

That's what I think of the Chocolate Buffet. Pretty to look at but tasteless. I'll just grab some chocolate mousse or chocolate ice cream. Can't go wrong with that.

For dessert after dinner----I love their apple pie when it's offered. Otherwise, icecream will do.

WOW I never thought of that. So when stressed out get some desserts. And now it will be easier to remember how to spell it; stressed has two esses and desserts has esses!

...and, ....if it was printed on the side of an automobile driven speedily by a snail, we could holler "Lookit that ess-car-go!"

That's what I think of the Chocolate Buffet. Pretty to look at but tasteless. I'll just grab some chocolate mousse or chocolate ice cream. Can't go wrong with that.

For dessert after dinner----I love their apple pie when it's offered. Otherwise, icecream will do.

On the Sun in the choc buffet they had these little simple cookie bars with a pecan crust and those were delicious! We took a plate of thoe back to the room to finish... got away from the madding crowd!

I'm another fan of the NY style cheescake with raspberry sauce served in the Blue Lagoon. I would get a 'nightcap' after the late show each evening of a delicious slice with some decaf.:)

That was our favourite too :)

They are great, but I've read on some recent threads that NCL has removed them from the MDR menus... :mad: (May still be available in the buffet...)

On our May cruise..the head chef told me "corporate" had removed the chilled soups from the menus:eek: He did not know why

• 2 years later...