Cruise Critic Members Up in Arms Over Leaked Carnival Loyalty Program Changes

LauraS

I have a little bit different perspective on this.

Personally, I do not believe Carnival cruisers are as upset about the New Loyalty Programs, as they are about how badly Carnival misreprented it for the past 3 1/2 years.

True, no one wants to lose perks. However, had Carnival been upfront and straight forward all those years ago, you would not have seen this kind of outcry.

If someone makes promises, ( and yes all these promises are well documented) .... they should keep them.

DW and I both are Platinum, and will remain Platinum under the listed program. We do not like the loss of some perks, however, it will not keep us from sailing CCL. We will also look at other lines if dates, prices, and itinerary are something we like.

Personally, I guess I am lucky with 8 sailed and 3 booked putting me in the hopefully emerging grace period...What I do not understand is if you compare RCCL's program, for about the same perks with their platinum compared to CCL's , they only require 30 sail days for plat as opposed to 75 for CCL. This is too far apart..If Royal had more offerings from Galveston, I would drop Carnival.. As far as J.H.'s comments, I met him on the Magic , and as I have posted before , he told me we would have some 10 day offerings from Galveston starting July 2013 on the Magic...That , my friend:eek:s, was a bunch of horse doey too..

I have taken over 80 Cruises as a paid passenger 34 on carnival with all the cuts that i enjoy like the calypso bands the lounge bands cut i will only sail CCL once more to get the free dinner and upgrade i have sailed with many cruise directors and JH was 1 of my LEAST favorites

I feel the same..It is just the idea that they were not shooting straight with us , and a 3 year or so big deal over what turns out to be a pretty small deal...I feel for the folks with 7 cruises trying to make platnium,,They got left out in the cold...I still say it was a ploy to sell more cruises, me being one of the suckers....I am really tired of J.H.'s hogwash, you'll be fine mate, cheers...

we were lied to. simple as that.

however, the whole program was a joke, and will be a joke, compared to the other lines.

but never will i sail a ship, or chose a line, just for the perks.

I wait for Monday to see what the new program really is. Amazing how poorly Carnival handled a simple change in a loyalty program. Good thing the crewmembers on the ships know more about their job than the people in Miami.

The thing I enjoy about the Undercover Boss, is that the boss gets out without the support staff blowing smoke, and the workers are not doing what they think the boss wants to see. Maybe Cahill needs to get his nose under the covers. Or maybe they decided the first time cruiser is their niche, and lets cut cost on the repeat cruiser since they are not our target customer.

We shall see what Monday brings but if what we have seen is what we get will be very disappointed in a very well known brand ambassador for telling us how brilliant the new program will be.

Taking away things that really didnt cost them anything IMHO is just foolish.

Personally, I guess I am lucky with 8 sailed and 3 booked putting me in the hopefully emerging grace period...What I do not understand is if you compare RCCL's program, for about the same perks with their platinum compared to CCL's , they only require 30 sail days for plat as opposed to 75 for CCL. This is too far apart..If Royal had more offerings from Galveston, I would drop Carnival.. As far as J.H.'s comments, I met him on the Magic , and as I have posted before , he told me we would have some 10 day offerings from Galveston starting July 2013 on the Magic...That , my friend:eek:s, was a bunch of horse doey too..

....yes but 30 cruise days on RCCL cost more like 75 on Carnival. (ok maybe not that many on Carnival, but they are cheaper to sail with for the most part.)

.....at this point it is ALL HERE-SAY and speculation. I'll believe it when it is official. I don't follow anything Mr Heald says. Personally, I think he should be repremanded for starting all the drama in the first place. If nothing was mentioned until it was official then it probably wouldn't be such a big deal as much as just new rules "that was then, this is now"

There was no lie. Worst case it is puffery. All cruise lines sell illusions.

Personally, I am thrilled with the details so far.

Telling us repeatedly it will be better when things are taken away is not exactly puffery.

Lets see what the final result is and than we will know who is right.

Price wise, I guess what is different for us is that we only sail from Galveston, and I have actually gotten Royal cruises for less than CCL..I believe prices are somewhat jacked from Galveston,JMO, like Disney who is coming soon is way up there, and Princess,soon to be here also is much higher than Royal and CCL..I see the new program fine for someone just starting out, but they should have taken better care of their past cruisers,,,

....yes but 30 cruise days on RCCL cost more like 75 on Carnival. (ok maybe not that many on Carnival, but they are cheaper to sail with for the most part.)

.....at this point it is ALL HERE-SAY and speculation. I'll believe it when it is official. I don't follow anything Mr Heald says. Personally, I think he should be repremanded for starting all the drama in the first place. If nothing was mentioned until it was official then it probably wouldn't be such a big deal as much as just new rules "that was then, this is now"

I feel the same..It is just the idea that they were not shooting straight with us , and a 3 year or so big deal over what turns out to be a pretty small deal...I feel for the folks with 7 cruises trying to make platnium,,They got left out in the cold...I still say it was a ploy to sell more cruises, me being one of the suckers....I am really tired of J.H.'s hogwash, you'll be fine mate, cheers...

I am one of those with 7 cruises that is now a lot farther away from Platinum than I thought. (I have 44 days.) Not much I can do about it, I guess.

I am one of those with 7 cruises that is now a lot farther away from Platinum than I thought. (I have 44 days.) Not much I can do about it, I guess.

I am a seven cruise person who also is now further away from platinum. Hoping maybe they will give more points for holiday cruises, balcony cruises, or getting shore excursions through carnival. That would make this program a little easier to take.

Hi texsailor from Taylor Tx We sure are missing out on the rain today..Maybe Jim Spencer should take John Heald's place...:D

The two things for me are priority boarding and a platinum line at guest services onboard...

OK, whats the big deal about Platinum or whatever?? Does it actually entitle you to something like reduced rates or perks?? My wife just hit platinum on Carnival and was "awarded" a free bum-bag or something, whoop de doo.

OK, whats the big deal about Platinum or whatever?? Does it actually entitle you to something like reduced rates or perks?? My wife just hit platinum on Carnival and was "awarded" a free bum-bag or something, whoop de doo.

The current program has a free slot tourney entry and ulimited laundry.

We are in the close, but probably not close enough category. I have to admit that we were choosing Carnival over others to get to that top tier. With the proposed changes, we will be so far away that we'll give up-- we're closer on other lines now. The perks (mentioned above) had attracted us. Guess we'll know for sure in a few days.

Archived