Cruise Critic Members Up in Arms Over Leaked Carnival Loyalty Program Changes

LauraS

I'm curious about the points system. I know it says days equals points, and I get that. But is it possible to gain points other ways? Like booking a suite or buying their insurance or purchasing a year out? I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud, so to speak. If it was ONLY going to be one point for one day, then why even call it points? Why not just call it days?

Personally, I don't even see them unveiling it on the 11th. You remember it was worded as in "we PLAN to reveal" or "it is our INTENTION to reveal" the plan. With all the complaining, I would think they'd put a hold on it and work something else out.

Per day replacing per cruise is long overdue. Too many book short, even overnite, cruises simply to advance their standing. Princess needs to do the same.

I have gotten the idea that many like the new program just because they cant stand to see someone ELSE getting something extra. I have read many such posts, where it sounds more like wanting someone else to get less more than anything else.

I personally think its fine to go forward counting days, but if there is no plan in place to give full credit for cruises IN THE PAST, then I will not be happy.

Of course, it wouldnt change my cruising .. just one more thing against how fair Carnival isnt. You cant go back and change how you value cruises TAKEN IN THE PAST WHEN A CRUISE WAS A CRUISE, NO MATTER HOW LONG.

I have gotten the idea that many like the new program just because they cant stand to see someone ELSE getting something extra. I have read many such posts, where it sounds more like wanting someone else to get less more than anything else.

I personally think its fine to go forward counting days, but if there is no plan in place to give full credit for cruises IN THE PAST, then I will not be happy.

Of course, it wouldnt change my cruising .. just one more thing against how fair Carnival isnt. You cant go back and change how you value cruises TAKEN IN THE PAST WHEN A CRUISE WAS A CRUISE, NO MATTER HOW LONG.

You are so right. The only way they can save some face is by giving everyone a minimum of 7 days per cruise. After all, they changed the rules along the way.

We once had Carnival call US to take a two-day last-minute add-on after the Destiny came out of drydock. I commented that four hours is a bit of a drive for only a two-day cruise. She said, "But it gets you one more cruise closer to platinum status." I know it was our final decision, but that was the rules of the game. To change the rules midway, when we did our part, and not give credit is just wrong.

Price wise, I guess what is different for us is that we only sail from Galveston, and I have actually gotten Royal cruises for less than CCL..I believe prices are somewhat jacked from Galveston,JMO, like Disney who is coming soon is way up there, and Princess,soon to be here also is much higher than Royal and CCL..I see the new program fine for someone just starting out, but they should have taken better care of their past cruisers,,,

DCL made changes to their program in '09. Currently Gold is 5 completed cruises and Platinum 10 (cruises not days). Agreed, when i compare prices DCL is usually 2-1/2 times more than a military rate on CCL, but the mouse still allows you to still roll on coolers full of all the booze you can carry.;)

There was no lie. Worst case it is puffery. All cruise lines sell illusions.

Personally, I am thrilled with the details so far.

Wow! No matter how you try to sugar coat or cheerlead it, Platinum members have lost benefits! You have definitely been drinking the Kool-Aid! :confused:

No it is not puffery it is a lie. When it is well documented - John Heald said many times that Milestone would be grandfathered into the highest tier - and if the leaked program is it that is not the case. Many gold are going back to red - when he stated many times everyone would keep their status. This does not appear to the the case - so it is a lie.

I hope Carnival steps up to the plate and gives everyone everything they were promised - I guess we will know on Monday (maybe).

No I do not cruise just for the loyalty programs, but I expect to get what I was promised and not be lied to.

....yes but 30 cruise days on RCCL cost more like 75 on Carnival. (ok maybe not that many on Carnival, but they are cheaper to sail with for the most part.)

Not always the case. I cruised with RCCL in April and paid $399 plus taxes for the week for a solo. Never have I gotten a cabin that cheap for a solo on Carnival.

I have a little bit different perspective on this.

Personally, I do not believe Carnival cruisers are as upset about the New Loyalty Programs, as they are about how badly Carnival misreprented it for the past 3 1/2 years.

True, no one wants to lose perks. However, had Carnival been upfront and straight forward all those years ago, you would not have seen this kind of outcry.

If someone makes promises, ( and yes all these promises are well documented) .... they should keep them.

For me personally, you hit the nail on the head. It's not as much about the perks...they aren't that spectacular to begin with. But, for a long time now, we've been promised that the changes to the loyalty program would be "brilliant", and we'd be very happy with them...guess my definition of "brilliant" is slightly different than Carnival's.

For me personally, you hit the nail on the head. It's not as much about the perks...they aren't that spectacular to begin with. But, for a long time now, we've been promised that the changes to the loyalty program would be "brilliant", and we'd be very happy with them...guess my definition of "brilliant" is slightly different than Carnival's.

Sad but very true

Or maybe they decided the first time cruiser is their niche,

and let's cut cost on the repeat cruiser since they are not our target customer.

First timers are going to be thrilled to board their first ship

just as we were -not knowing what to expect, what's been cut,

not knowing what cruising was like 10-20 yrs. ago.

2012 standards will be the norm for them! :)

An easy market to fulfill expectations, I reckon..

First timers are going to be thrilled to board their first ship

just as we were -not knowing what to expect, what's been cut,

not knowing what cruising was like 10-20 yrs. ago.

2012 standards will be the norm for them! :)

An easy market to fulfill expectations, I reckon..

then I have a surprise for Carnival .. as it was all those hundreds of first time cruisers that staged a protest on conquest when it missed 2 out of 3 ports. I kept hearing at my dinner table .. but I booked this cruise just to see Jamaica, they owe me a refund.. and did you get your complaint number from the pursers desk, those first timers actually thought they could get a refund because the ship missed ports in sept, hurricane season.

One guy in a suite, a lawyer on his first cruise told me that he was told if he got 55% to sign his petition they would refund our cruise cost.

Those first timers have their own set of expectations which might be just as "off' as us regulars.

I have a little bit different perspective on this.

Personally, I do not believe Carnival cruisers are as upset about the New Loyalty Programs, as they are about how badly Carnival misreprented it for the past 3 1/2 years.

True, no one wants to lose perks. However, had Carnival been upfront and straight forward all those years ago, you would not have seen this kind of outcry.

If someone makes promises, ( and yes all these promises are well documented) .... they should keep them.

LHP,

I agree with your conclusions 100%; too much smoke was blown for there to have been any cutbacks tolerated. Granted the cutbacks are small, but they are cutbacks nonetheless.

I guess none of us knows for sure what they are announcing yet since the smokescreen hasn't lifted yet.

'Brilliant' would not be a term I would use for CCL's lack of public relations on this issue, but perhaps they realize that CC members just like the rest of their loyal customers are a small part of their operations.

EDIT:

I do have to add that if they counted enjoyable experiences and or lifetime memories into the count, I'd be at least quadruple Diamond or at least a lump of coal that is almost diamond.

I can't imagine what ever the final official details are that you would be disappointed. Buts that's fine...we all deserve our opinions. :)

LHP,

I agree with your conclusions 100%; too much smoke was blown for there to have been any cutbacks tolerated. Granted the cutbacks are small, but they are cutbacks nonetheless.

I guess none of us knows for sure what they are announcing yet since the smokescreen hasn't lifted yet.

'Brilliant' would not be a term I would use for CCL's lack of public relations on this issue, but perhaps they realize that CC members just like the rest of their loyal customers are a small part of their operations.

EDIT:

I do have to add that if they counted enjoyable experiences and or lifetime memories into the count, I'd be at least quadruple Diamond or at least a lump of coal that is almost diamond.

I think the term brilliant may have lost all it's luster. LHP has enough history that her opinion is undisputed. I'm glad veteran cruisers who know John and are well known on CC are willing to call BS on the new plan as leaked.

Disney has virtually no loyalty program. NCL's is rather useless. So is RCCLs. Only Princess has perks worth having. The 150 internet minutes is actually useful and is, in fact, a great perk.

Gee, I was quite pleased to get free wine for 3 hours or whatever time it was served, my choice, each and every night. On larger RCL ships I get free mixed drinks for about 3 hours at night.

Even if you dont ever book a balcony and enjoy the $225? $250? balcony discount I now get off the price of a balcony cabin .. the free drinks to me are a perk I enjoy. All the wine I want to drink nightly. I am assuming you dont drink or not diamond (the old 10 cruises) or diamond plus? I like discounts on the price of a cruise almost as much as free drinks.

I guess if you put a pencil to it , Disney might be the way to go..Never cruised them , but I hear they are well liked..

DCL made changes to their program in '09. Currently Gold is 5 completed cruises and Platinum 10 (cruises not days). Agreed, when i compare prices DCL is usually 2-1/2 times more than a military rate on CCL, but the mouse still allows you to still roll on coolers full of all the booze you can carry.;)

Disney has virtually no loyalty program. NCL's is rather useless. So is RCCLs. Only Princess has perks worth having. The 150 internet minutes is actually useful and is, in fact, a great perk.

Have heard good thing about NCL and you can get up there rather fast by booking early and doing suites.

I think it sucks! I will be able to go to the past guest party because I have over the 25 days sailed but my hubby and kids won't! I guess I won't be going either on our next cruise because I won't go without them. They only have 14 days each.

Have heard good thing about NCL and you can get up there rather fast by booking early and doing suites.

RCL you only need to book a JS (not considered a full suite, closer to say a 9C on Carnival) to get double loyalty credit... I just did one on Jewel OTS and have to say it was totally awesome.

Gee, I was quite pleased to get free wine for 3 hours or whatever time it was served, my choice, each and every night. On larger RCL ships I get free mixed drinks for about 3 hours at night.

Even if you dont ever book a balcony and enjoy the $225? $250? balcony discount I now get off the price of a balcony cabin .. the free drinks to me are a perk I enjoy. All the wine I want to drink nightly. I am assuming you dont drink or not diamond (the old 10 cruises) or diamond plus? I like discounts on the price of a cruise almost as much as free drinks.

I've got 3 cruises with RCL and was very happy with our last cruise. The past guest party was excellent as well as the Cruise Critic Party. Beverages, snacks, and many drawings for logo items. If the Carnival management decides in the final program that loyalty is just a fringe idea that past guests feel entitled to, then other lines will benefit.

I've got 3 cruises with RCL and was very happy with our last cruise. The past guest party was excellent as well as the Cruise Critic Party. Beverages, snacks, and many drawings for logo items. If the Carnival management decides in the final program that loyalty is just a fringe idea that past guests feel entitled to, then other lines will benefit.

People on RCL were up in arms over diamonds being excluded from the concierge lounge on smaller ships, i.e. just a lounge for free wine, red or white or champagne for those with 10 cruises, because of the way they grandfather in so many.

I have not yet cruised on Celebrity, but now that Im finally diamond, I start at elite on Celebrity with full perks. So now I plan on trying out Celebrity next year.

Not that I expect Carnival to do this, but it would be nice to move loyalty across lines, like between Carnival and Princess.

It won't affect my cruises or cruising...but I am not thrilled. Not "up in arms" but just underwhelmed

all this talk, all this build up and then....pfffft

NCL and Royal both have really good perks Grandma btw

NCL doubles your points if you book 6 months in advance and/or a suite

I am not a suite type person but I do book in advance so that is good

Royal has the free drinks lounge deal....that is nice.

I am honestly more upset about the way they just stopped the Fun Farewell with NO warning

Archived