What to do flying in morning of cruise - Barcelona

Help! I am flying into Barcelona at 7:30am the morning of the cruise (leaving at 7pm) ... my hope was to book a tour straight from the airport to see Barcelona for half a day, with drop off at the port. Unfortunately, I am only one passenger, so they don't have the minimum needed for a group.

I've already posted on my roll call... no takers. I'm currently on their waitlist if a group will form the morning I get in... but I'm not holding my breath. It's not looking good.

What should I do?? I need to know how to get to town, where to store my luggage, and if there are any good tours to be had once all that is settled, and how to get to port.

Please help - any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

scrappydoo

You can always go directly to the port and turn in your luggage (you can do this in the morning). At that point you would still be stuck with your carry-on baggage which is why some of us like to use backpacks for carry-on.

Hank

Check excursions with your cruise line. They often will pick you up at the airport, take you on a tour and then take you to the ship and you don't have to worry about luggage.

I think this is the best advice. My sister and I have the same problem with the price being doubled because there is only 2 of us. We are doing the cruise line tour, which turns out to be less han the company we looked at.

Good luck!

Help! I am flying into Barcelona at 7:30am the morning of the cruise (leaving at 7pm) ... my hope was to book a tour straight from the airport to see Barcelona for half a day, with drop off at the port. Unfortunately, I am only one passenger, so they don't have the minimum needed for a group.

I've already posted on my roll call... no takers. I'm currently on their waitlist if a group will form the morning I get in... but I'm not holding my breath. It's not looking good.

What should I do?? I need to know how to get to town, where to store my luggage, and if there are any good tours to be had once all that is settled, and how to get to port.

Please help - any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

scrappydoo

Could you get the train from the airport to Barcelona Sants where there are luggage lockers? You could then pick up the HOHO bus to the main sites

Thank you all for your ideas, and taking time to post!

Taking an excursion from Princess would have been great, but I'm surprised that they don't offer any excursions in Barcelona!

I was thinking to take the Aerobus and putting my luggage in the locker storage at Placa Catalunya. But I am a Europe newbie, and am a bit anxious going solo that day. Any tips?

Anyone have experience with the Aerobus or how to go about Barcelona on my own? I am terrible with other languages too... a bit nervous. :o

Thanks again for any help you can give me!

scrappydoo

Take at look at Barcelona City Tours.

http://www.barcelonadaytours.com/barcelona-city-tour/

They can pick you up at the airport and give you a 4 hour tour of the city then drop you at the ship.

Thanks, bmorris53.

They were who I contacted. Unfortunately, they didn't have a group forming that I could join. The problem of being a solo traveler! And then when I figured it was looking bleak, I asked out of curiosity what the cost would be for a private tour. They responded by saying they were booked for private tours that day. :(

Personally, as a solo traveler myself on many occasions, I would follow Hlitner's advice. I would take a taxi from the airport directly to the port to your ship. They will start accepting your luggage quite early, but maybe not until 9:30 or 10:00 (this happened to us). After dropping off your bag, take another taxi or the Blue Port Bus back to the city area. Since you seem to want a little bit of a tour, I would research the Hop-On-Hop-Off busses and figure out how to get to the closest stop from the port. Then get on the bus and get off/on as desired. Do your research and you'll be fine. Have a plan in place on when you want to be back to the ship and either use a taxi or the Blue Bus back.

Surely there must be lots of other tour operators out there who might be able accommodate you.

But barring that, I agree that getting your luggage onto the ship first would be the best. Then do the HoHo, or find a walking tour or something like that. Just make sure you can minimize your hand luggage so you can leave most things with the ship (locked, I would advise.)

Assuming that the are no major delays (knock on wood), and I actually arrive in BCN about 7:35am, how early do you think I will be arriving at the Port??

What if I'm too early to drop off my bags, as someone mentioned they might not receive bags until 9:30-10am on the ship?

Thank you all for your ideas, and taking time to post!

Taking an excursion from Princess would have been great, but I'm surprised that they don't offer any excursions in Barcelona!

I was thinking to take the Aerobus and putting my luggage in the locker storage at Placa Catalunya. But I am a Europe newbie, and am a bit anxious going solo that day. Any tips?

Anyone have experience with the Aerobus or how to go about Barcelona on my own? I am terrible with other languages too... a bit nervous. :o

Thanks again for any help you can give me!

scrappydoo

Assuming that the are no major delays (knock on wood), and I actually arrive in BCN about 7:35am, how early do you think I will be arriving at the Port??

What if I'm too early to drop off my bags, as someone mentioned they might not receive bags until 9:30-10am on the ship?

I have taken the Aerobus to Placa Catalunya. It is quite easily done. So, if you arrive early in the morning it would be quite simple to take the Aerobus.

Link to info on Aerobus:

http://www.castelldefels.com/aeropor...xi_bus4030.htm

At Placa Catalunya you can store your luggage.

Link to info on luggage storage:

http://www.barcelona.de/en/barcelona-luggage-storage.html

The HOHO bus (both blue & red lines) begin at Placa Catalunya so you could catch it there.

Info on HOHO:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-bus-tour.html

and

http://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn/sights/bus-tours/hop-on-hop-off-bus

Enjoy!

jill

I have taken the Aerobus to Placa Catalunya. It is quite easily done. So, if you arrive early in the morning it would be quite simple to take the Aerobus.

Link to info on Aerobus:

The HOHO bus (both blue & red lines) begin at Placa Catalunya so you could catch it there.

Info on HOHO:

and

Enjoy!

jill

Thanks, Jill !!

Any suggestions on what to do when I return to get my luggage? Should I take a taxi to the cruise port? Or walk to the Blue Shuttle bus stop with my luggage (again as a solo female traveler)? Not sure how long that walk is...

scrappydoo

Thanks, Jill !!

Any suggestions on what to do when I return to get my luggage? Should I take a taxi to the cruise port? Or walk to the Blue Shuttle bus stop with my luggage (again as a solo female traveler)? Not sure how long that walk is...

scrappydoo

After collecting my luggage, as a solo traveler, I would definetly spring for a taxi to the ship. Besides you will have been on a long flight & toured around Barcelona on the HOHO bus...won't you be somewhat tired? ;)

jill

After collecting my luggage, as a solo traveler, I would definetly spring for a taxi to the ship. Besides you will have been on a long flight & toured around Barcelona on the HOHO bus...won't you be somewhat tired? ;)

jill

Yes, definitely... I can't even imagine how I'll be feeling that day in Barcelona! But tired comes to mind... :) Thanks! Does anyone know what the approx cost of a taxi to the port would cost? I've heard all sorts of stories of how taxis try to scam people...any thoughts?

How long do you think it would it take to land in BCN, without any checked-in luggage, clear customs and arrive in Placa de Catalunya? I'm trying to guesstimate when I can realistically start my touring. In other words, when is the earliest time I can realistically join a tour from the Placa de Catalunya?

Thanks again for everyone posting and helping me figure this out! I sure do appreciate it!

scrappydoo

Yes, definitely... I can't even imagine how I'll be feeling that day in Barcelona! But tired comes to mind... :) Thanks! Does anyone know what the approx cost of a taxi to the port would cost? I've heard all sorts of stories of how taxis try to scam people...any thoughts?

How long do you think it would it take to land in BCN, without any checked-in luggage, clear customs and arrive in Placa de Catalunya? I'm trying to guesstimate when I can realistically start my touring. In other words, when is the earliest time I can realistically join a tour from the Placa de Catalunya?

Thanks again for everyone posting and helping me figure this out! I sure do appreciate it!

scrappydoo

Hi scrappydoo,

Taxi's in Barcelona are liscensed...they are metered (make sure the meter is on when you enter the cab). I have found them to be very reliable. (I recently returned from BCN).

You should have NO problem getting a taxi in P Catalunya...there are ranks of taxis there. Just remember that there are supplements (extra charge) for going to the cruise port (2.10 euros) & for your luggage (1 euro per piece).

The following link gives current taxi fares and shows photos of what the taxi's in BCN look like. I printed it out and took it with me.

http://www.taxibarcelona.cat/Portals/0/pdfs/Adhesiu%20TARIFES%202012%20ok.pdf

There is more info on taxi's at:

http://www.taxibarcelona.cat/tabid/3479/Default.aspx

I would guesstimate that your taxi cost would be no more than 15 euros (probably less) from P Catalunya to the cruise port. Nothing like the cost of a taxi from the airport to the cruise port, Additionally, you may find some cruise pals on the HOHO or at the taxi rank that would be willing to share the taxi with you (further reducing your costs). I have been lucky with this both in Livorno & Barcelona.

If you are interested, you can "walk" Placa Catalunya (or any other BCN venue in which you are interested) on google maps using "street view". It will give you a good idea of what the place looks like. If you have not used this feature on google before, just go to:

http://maps.google.com/

Type in: Plaça de Catalunya, Barcelona, Espanya

Drag the icon of the orange person to "A".

You will see what the Plaza looks like from the street. You can "walk" around using the arrows on the street. :)

As to when you will actually arrive in P Catalunya, it depends on how quickly you move through immigration, if your plane is on time, etc. Assuming you land on time & get through immigration quickly, I would guesstimate that you will be in P Cataluyna by the time the first HOHO bus departs at 9:00 am. If not, catch the next one.

REMINDER: BCN is noted for pickpockets. Wear a money belt or a money purse under your clothing for your passport, credit cards & money. If you exercise caution in this simple thing, you should have no problems with thieves. (I also wear no jewelry that would tempt thieves).

BCN is an amazing city.

Enjoy!

jill

Link to info on Aerobus:

Info on HOHO:

and

Enjoy!

jill

Jill, thank you for all the amazing information!!! You are making me feel better about my solo adventure in Barcelona. :) Thanks again!

scrappydoo

Check excursions with your cruise line. They often will pick you up at the airport, take you on a tour and then take you to the ship and you don't have to worry about luggage.

We have the same problem arriving very early for our cruise on the Epic.

Our TA made the same suggestion as you. However, when we checked the excursions online for Barcelona on the NCL site, they were all post cruise. I called NCL's 800 # for excursions, and got the same information.

How things have changed! Our first cruise was 10 years ago, and also started in Barcelona. Royal Caribbean gave a free tour of Barcelona to the 40 or so of us who had booked transfers with them. I guess in 2002 the tourism industry was still recovering from the events of 9/11.

We have the same problem arriving very early for our cruise on the Epic.

Our TA made the same suggestion as you. However, when we checked the excursions online for Barcelona on the NCL site, they were all post cruise. I called NCL's 800 # for excursions, and got the same information.

How things have changed! Our first cruise was 10 years ago, and also started in Barcelona. Royal Caribbean gave a free tour of Barcelona to the 40 or so of us who had booked transfers with them. I guess in 2002 the tourism industry was still recovering from the events of 9/11.

Too bad we're not arriving on the same day! We could've gotten together for some sort of tour out of the airport. :)

Oh wells, I think I'm going to wing it and see how long it takes for me to get out of customs. Depending on the time, I'm likely going to take the Aerobus to city center/leave my luggage at the lockers/walk a bit, do the HOHO bus, or join a walking tour.

scrappydoo

HI,

I found this site ,we will use proable this company in August.

DWConsigna;

The price of the service is 9,9€/piece. We deliver the bags to you at the airport. Regarding the delivery time, normally is 2hours before the departure of your flight or whenever is the best convenient time for you.

Meeting point at the airport is the Terminal 1. We are located outside. You will see our DW white truck. If you are flying from Terminal 2, you need to collect the suitcases at Terminal 1 and after there is a free shuttle bus, that takes 10min to get to the terminal 2.

Besides, there is a shuttle bus from the port to the city that runs every 10-15 min and takes you to columbus monunent (the bottom of Las Ramblas) for 2.5€.

So there is a shuttle from plaza Catalunya (the main square of Barcelona) to the airport, Aerobus A1, that takes you to the terminal 1 for 5.65€. The bus runs every 5 to 8 min and the ride is 30min approximately.

You can also book the service online:

An alternative, at the risk of overload, would be to take the airport train to Sants station and leave your luggage there. The HoHo buses depart from outside the station and you could do a circuit back to Sants, collect your bags and get a cab to the port. There are scores of cabs at the station and we have never queued for more than a few minutes. The rail fare from the airport is no more than €3.

• 2 months later...

Balinca - Did you actually use this service - DW Consigna - in August? How did it work out? Did you notice whether or not there are lockers at the port? We are very interested in using this service but would like to get some feedback on the service. Thanks.

Help! I am flying into Barcelona at 7:30am the morning of the cruise (leaving at 7pm)

scrappydoo

Just curious- you are flying into Barcelona from San Francisco (I presume) and arriving the morning of the cruise departure. Have you done this before? What is your reason if I may ask. I was considering doing the same thing, but the vast majority opinion was that I should arrive at least one day earlier.

Archived