Skipping Pisa? How much time will it save?

SondraC

Hello. We were all prepared to go to Pisa and then on to Florence, but we are now thinking about dropping Pisa and spending the entire day in Florence. Any idea how much time that would save us? We would not climb the tower, just go look at it and take the goofy pictures:)

The amount of time you save depends on your method of travel. If by car, with a driver, it won't save as much time. If you are going by train it means a lot more.

By car, if you were just stopping for a picture, would add no more than 30 minutes to your day so that's about what you would save.

IMHO Pisa isn't worth the trip if it cuts into your time in Florence. We stopped at Pisa on the way back to Livorno from Lucca. Wish we had just spent more time in Lucca or Livorno. There are SO MANY people crowded around the tower and so many kitschy kiosks that I didn't enjoy it at all. If you get away from the crowds it's nice to wander the Pisa streets, but I'd just spend the time in Florence.

I loved Pisa -- there is more to see than just the "Leaning Tower" (although there are obviously great photo ops!). I thought that the history of the city was really interesting.

I agree!! I'm so pleased to find another member of the Pisa Appreciation Society.

I agree!! I'm so pleased to find another member of the Pisa Appreciation Society.

Me three (hand up)!! We absolutely loved our time in Pisa. All your life you hear about the Leaning Twer, see pictures of it... but to be standing in front of it was truly one of the highlights of my life. I'm serious, I loved it!!! Goosebumps!

It's true, there are massive amounts of vendors but where aren't there vendors? You'll find them in every port on your Med cruise. It's how we roll. It is what it is.

Go to Pisa! The Leaning Tower is phenomenal.

Both Pisa and Florence are great. We've been to both, but not on the same day. I will suggest that you pick one instead of trying to see both. Otherwise, you may feel that you didn't spend enough time in either. There is always next time :)

While not usually a fan of ship offered excursions..We did the ship DIY which stopped in Pisa long enough to see the tower and take pictures and then on to Florence for several hours on our own..This worked out well for us :D

While not usually a fan of ship offered excursions..We did the ship DIY which stopped in Pisa long enough to see the tower and take pictures and then on to Florence for several hours on our own..This worked out well for us :D

Yes, was just coming back here to say the same thing! We took a ship's tour which included both stops. It was fabulous! There are several to choose from; ours included lunch and the best lasagna I have ever had in my life. Yum! :p

IMHO skipping will yield little but one more unsatisfying short stop in Florence :D Comes down to what is on you must and want to do list and what you trade Pisa for.... difficult choice.

If you don't climb, between stopping ( assuming you are doing private van ) and jumping out for the customary hold the tower pictures probably 30-45' depending on traffic. I personally think you should make the detour, reserve tickets and climb it.

Yes you give up one stop in Florence, but like every port its about choices. We found both the grounds and the climb a very special memory, as special as David as the top two of this port.

We were there in early May on our way to Tuscany countryside. Glad we stopped just for photo and to see. Our driver said must do early and there really weren't crowds or even many vendors - maybe we were before the season.

Archived