topless sunbathing AOS?

Was reading the reviews on cc and this was cut/pasted from the June 12 Med cruise-

Pools and sunbathing, there are 3 pools, two next to each other and are family pools, one is an adult only pool with two large jacuzzi's. Only thing that annoyed us was the 'loved up' couples smooching etc in the adult pool - you've got a room, use it! Water was pleasantly warm and well worth going in. There are two area's for topless sunbathing, but these can get full full up with people in their tankini's which is annoying again!

So is there normally a topless section? Or was that just because it is Mediteranean cruise? Or because people were just doing it and 1) other followed suit 2) no staff was willing to tell them to cover up?

Loved up couples are entitled to show their Love, much better than arguing like others do. But they are also covered by the Guest Rules, I am sure if they went to far someone would have words, and they would be invited to leave the area or even the ship. I regularly show my love to my wife, but am aware of those around, but nobody would stop me giving her a kiss or putting my arms around her. As got the topless thing I also respect people's right to do that in approved areas.

As got the topless thing I also respect people's right to do that in approved areas.

Yes, I think OP is asking if there are such approved areas onboard RCI ships and the answer is no. Now - whether or not staff will ask women to cover up is another issue, I'm afraid.

Yes, I think OP is asking if there are such approved areas onboard RCI ships and the answer is no. Now - whether or not staff will ask women to cover up is another issue, I'm afraid.

Since women sunbathing topless in the Mediterranean is very common, are you sure Royal doesn't designate an area on their ships when they're cruising there?

I lived in Germany for 9 years. I have no doubt that the poster who wrote the review saw topless women in the adult area. Why? Because Europeans have no issue with this and its done all of the time. I saw topless women at every public pool/beach I went to. I would guess to say, there is a higher percentage of Europeans on board for Med cruises so the crew would be more lenient.

I've never seen topless on ships that originate in the US. There are a higher percentage of Americans on these cruises. Hence the ban.

Let's say the "official" answer is no. :) We were on a 12 night Med cruise last year and saw no such topless sunbathers.

Our Med cruise was a while ago now, but when we were on Splendour in 2007, there was a Brass sign designating an area at about the highest deck for topless sun-bathing. I have a picture somewhere [of the sign, not the partticipants -- it was November and the area did not appear to see much if any use, but then again I didn't make any effort to keep track]. It looked pretty official to me.

Our Med cruise was a while ago now, but when we were on Splendour in 2007, there was a Brass sign designating an area at about the highest deck for topless sun-bathing. .

I remember seeing that sign on Splendour in 2007 in the Med. I also remember recently seeing the review which the OP refers to. I had a look at the top deck on Grandeur last week just to see if they had an official topless sunbathing deck but there were no signs saying so.

Sorry, I should have not cut/pasted as much as I did. It was the topless part I was curious about. Seems like no matter where you go (including Walmart) there is cases of way too much PDA.

Europeans are just more at ease with women topless on beaches and pools. There is not hard and fast rules for RCI except in the Med if no one complains you will see a few topless women.

Note to self: Do not complain about topless women:cool:

• 1 year later...

In 2003 the Carnival Destiny (now the Sunshine) had a small topless deck with a sign that said no photography. It was mostly couples except for this creepy guy with dark glasses facing away from the sun but facing the young women....creep!

I lived in Germany for 9 years. I have no doubt that the poster who wrote the review saw topless women in the adult area. Why? Because Europeans have no issue with this and its done all of the time. I saw topless women at every public pool/beach I went to. I would guess to say, there is a higher percentage of Europeans on board for Med cruises so the crew would be more lenient.

I've never seen topless on ships that originate in the US. There are a higher percentage of Americans on these cruises. Hence the ban.

It's OK to go topless as long as they shave the pits. :D

I have been on the AOS and there was a private area for European sunbathers that wanted to be topless. Maybe it depends how many are on board?

IN saying that the last time I was on the Ex there was a couple making out for hours in the hot tub in the adult pool area.

Originally Posted by johneeo viewpost.gif

I go topless all the time and have never had a problem.

Yea, it's no problem for you but what about everyone else on your cruise? :eek::D:D

yes that's how i feel! The last thing i want to see in public is other people's privates! It's bad enough having to see women wearing bikinis and men wearing speedos who REALLY shouldn't be.

1. Europeans are not only more comfortable with the idea of nudity or semi-nudity, they do not judge the "suitability" of others to go nude. - This is quite the opposite of Americans on this thread making comments like, "Why is it always the ones who SHOULDN'T go nude who are going nude?"

They aren't doing it to display themselves to YOU. They do it because they are comfortable doing it. It's not up to you to decide whether or not they "should".

2. I believe that the area on Voyager class ships is actually called the St. Tropez deck. ;)

1. Europeans are not only more comfortable with the idea of nudity or semi-nudity, they do not judge the "suitability" of others to go nude. - This is quite the opposite of Americans on this thread making comments like, "Why is it always the ones who SHOULDN'T go nude who are going nude?"

They aren't doing it to display themselves to YOU. They do it because they are comfortable doing it. It's not up to you to decide whether or not they "should"....

Bingo! ;) Well said.

Its all about feeling comfortable in your own skin. And if someone is comfortable enough to wear only what they were born with, then I say more power to them.

I can choose what I want to wear, or if I want to shave my armpits, or whatever, but I have no right to decide what others should do or look like.

I just don't get that kind of attitude. :rolleyes:

If the AOS has a deck for these folks, on certain cruises, and its signed as such, then I have no problem with that at all.

:)

Archived