Soda Card policy change

ChelseaSailor

Does the 50% discount include the water in your cabin?

If you mean the bottled water, then yes.

From the FAQ on HAL's website:

Q: What mini-bar purchases are eligible for a discount?

A: The discount applies to all mini-bar purchases including re-stocked items for all staterooms and suites that have a mini-bar.

So, yes, bottled water that the bar staff places in your cabin is included in the 50% discount for 4-Star Mariners.

So, yes, bottled water that the bar staff places in your cabin is included in the 50% discount for 4-Star Mariners.

Thank you, I never thought of using the drinks in my room. I have in the past had them remove all the drinks.

donna

Good information. Thank you RevNeal. Only 25% for us so far but any little bit helps.

I am assuming you can ask the mini bar attendant to stock what soda you enjoy drinking and remove the ones you don't? I have never paid much attention to the minibar to be honest.

I actually prefer a freshly mixed fountain soda with a little ice...

Anyway, FYI- fresh off the veendam yesterday. The soda card and beverage card got us either a can of soda (which was the default from the bartender) or a fountain soda if you asked for it.

Good information. Thank you RevNeal. Only 25% for us so far but any little bit helps.

I am assuming you can ask the mini bar attendant to stock what soda you enjoy drinking and remove the ones you don't? I have never paid much attention to the minibar to be honest.

You can ask them to bring you what you want or will be drinking, yes. On shorter cruises they're not as likely to remove the items you're not interested in drinking because they'll just have to re-stock them in a week for the next resident of your cabin. But, on a longer cruise -- 14+ days, let us say -- they will do it. It's easier on their accounting and re-stocking if they don't have to keep track of all the rest.

At least, that's been my experience.

Please don't go giving them any more ideas. That's all we need - more changes that we don't know about until it's almost too late.

People will be showing up at the Pier with their cases.

HAL will start confiscating it. :mad::mad: This certainly wouldn't surprise me.

People will be showing up at the Pier with their cases.

HAL will start confiscating it. :mad::mad: This certainly wouldn't surprise me.

I sure hope this doesn't happen in New York City,You know with all the tall buildings around:eek:

We took our first river cruise last fall on Viking. Beginning this year, you get FREE soda/wine/beer with lunch & dinner. No limit. Last year, soda was extra. I don't drink coffee so ZERO Coke is my wake-up drink in the morning. I am tired of being charged for everything. Soon, we'll be charged for that rought faux Kleenex in our cabin bathrooms.

We took our first river cruise last fall on Viking. Beginning this year, you get FREE soda/wine/beer with lunch & dinner. No limit. Last year, soda was extra. I don't drink coffee so ZERO Coke is my wake-up drink in the morning. I am tired of being charged for everything. Soon, we'll be charged for that rought faux Kleenex in our cabin bathrooms.

Sorry, HAL and Viking cruises are two separate companies. What happens on one cruise line, doesn't have to happen on others.

It was my understanding the "NEW" soda card was $25 for $50 worth of soda, be that in a can or from the fountain.

The soda card I had on our last HAL cruise was for a set number of drinks (fountain only) where they punched your card for every drink they dispensed.

On our last cruise (with Celebrity) the drink dispensers in the "Lido" had three different fruit punches, we found that we had no reason or desire to have a carbonated soft drink, though I relented and had a couple in the evenings during the shows.

I was considering purchasing a soda card for our upcomming Eurodam cruise, should I reconsider and just buy the can when we want one?

It was my understanding the "NEW" soda card was $25 for $50 worth of soda, be that in a can or from the fountain.

The soda card I had on our last HAL cruise was for a set number of drinks (fountain only) where they punched your card for every drink they dispensed.

I was considering purchasing a soda card for our upcomming Eurodam cruise, should I reconsider and just buy the can when we want one?

I take it you haven't cruised on HAL in a while! The punch card has been gone a long time.

If you don't drink a lot of soda, then the soda card, even in the former incarnation of $25 for $50 card good for cans, would not have been any good to you. It is only after you have had $25 worth of soda that there is any savings.

There is still a slight discount on the beverage card, and you can purchase soda with that, too.

• 1 month later...
Went on the Westerdam Cruise to Alaska June 30 to July 7. I was disappointed to find out when I got there that Holland's policy on soda cards had changed. Now in the Lido , Bars or Dinning Room when you use the Soda Card you only get fountain drinks instead of can of coke. So if you order in the Lido the waiter has to go to the bar by the Lido pool to get the fountain drink instead of giving you the can he has right on his tray. By the time he gets back the soda is flat and you get less than the can. If you use your room card you can get the canned coke, but you don't get the discount.

ChelseaSailor

I just got off the phone with ship services. They told me that you can use the soda cards for either fountain or cans. They said if you don't specify that you will be given fountain. I forgot to ask if their was a different charge for each.

Steve

I just got off the phone with ship services. They told me that you can use the soda cards for either fountain or cans. They said if you don't specify that you will be given fountain. I forgot to ask if their was a different charge for each.

Steve

Tell them to put it in writing. I can see explaining that to a waiter or bartender.

Just off the zuiderdam this morning. At the bars and poolside, it's fountain soda for $1.55 plus sc. In the dining room, it's cans for $1.95 plus sc. Once the servers see the soda card they automatically serve fountain except in the dining room. All other beverage cards were served cans.

Steve

This was absolutely not the case for us on the Amsterdam in August. We asked for canned sodas with the soda card and were told flatly that it was fountain only. In fact we could not even use it at the Explorers Cafe as they only serve canned sodas. The only way we got canned sodas was with the $225 beverage card. And in the dining room if we used the $50 soda card they delivered fountain sodas. So we went back and forth between the two cards, using the regular soda card mostly for our teenage son as he is the one who consumes the most sodas.

Steve

I got this on August 29,2012

Thank you for the email regarding your ms Westerdam sailing on June 30, 2012. We truly appreciate the valuable feedback you have provided us. First and foremost, we are sorry for the disappointment you experienced.

We do acknowledge you concerns regarding our soda card policy. Please be advised that the policy has always been into effect, however as of late our ships have been more adamant on enforcing it. We do apologize for your dissatisfaction regarding the way it is handled, and please note, we have registered all of your comments regarding this sailing and have advised the appropriate senior management for their information and review.

As a gesture of goodwill for the fact that you feel that your card was devalued, we would like to extend to you a complimentary $50 Soda Card for use on a future sailing with Holland America Line to help make up for some of the value lost. This amenity will be built in association with your Mariner Society number, and will automatically be credited to you upon booking your next Holland America Line cruise. This card can only be used aboard the sailing it is applied to and may not be redeemed for cash. We kindly ask that you, or your travel agent, verify this offer with a Reservations Agent at time of confirmation to ensure that your booking is noted appropriately.

Again, please accept our apologies and assurances that staff will redouble their efforts to meet our goal of consistent excellence in all areas of your cruise experience. Beyond our sincere apologies and commitment to improve, we hope to earn your trust and confidence to sail with Holland America Line again so we may have another opportunity to create the positive experience we know our sailings can offer.

I would have been happy to pay the difference for cans. Hope it has changed. I feel bad for the waiters in the lido that have to go to the bar to get the fountain drink. They lose time and money doing it.

ChelseaSailor

Thanks for sharing the email response ChelseaSailor. I have a feeling HAL will be bombarded by unhappy returnees.

I thought the soda card was such a great idea. On our last cruise, I used the card not only for drinks around the ship but to buy mixers for our cabin. From now on we'll bring our own. Bad decison on HAL's part. :(

There is nothing free on a cruise ship......

Merely things we pay for in advance included in our fare and things we pay for at the time of consumption/use. ;)

I'd also get it notarized,and keep a copy in my cabin safe

Why take a chance?

:D I really did LOL........ :)

I got this on August 29,2012

Thank you for the email regarding your ms Westerdam sailing on June 30, 2012. We truly appreciate the valuable feedback you have provided us. First and foremost, we are sorry for the disappointment you experienced.

There is the official answer. The $25.00 soda card is no longer the bargain it once was.

In the future, I think I'll just order a can.

The card gives you a glass full of ice filled from te gun or a glass filled from a can that has already been sitting around.

This all just sounds so complicated. The last time I was on a HAL ship (Zuiderdam, July 2011), I bought a "beverage card" (that's what it said on the card) and used it to purchase any beverage I wanted -- alcohol, coffee drinks at Explorations, soda, mixers, etc. When I boarded, these cards were placed all over the ship on tables and bars. You just picked one up, chose how much you wanted to put on the card ($45 got you $50 in spend, $90 got you $100 in spend, etc.) and any bartender was happy to take care of that. Easy peasy.

Are they now using different cards for coffee, soda and alcohol?

The beverage cards gave you a 10% discount. The soda card was a 50% discount so consequently a better value if you just wished to purchase sodas. If you purchased soda with the beverage card you were in reality paying 40% more than you had to.

But now HAL in their infinite wisdom has decided that the soda card will be for soft driinks only out of the fountain. The bartender gave me the heads up on this as I asked to buy a soda card on the Westerdam 2 weeks ago. He even took the time to show me. He filled up three sodas from the fountain. With the ice included in the 6oz glass it was the equivalent of one can of soda. So although it is half price it takes 3 sodas from the fountain to make up for the equivalent of one can.

Honestly since I am not one to count pennies or check my final bill I could care less. The most interesting thing I learned was that the bartender was unhappy with the new system. He said when they were busy it was much easier for him to grab 4 cans of pop and 4 glasses of ice then to use the gun to fill up the glass, wait for the foam to subside, and then fill up the glass some more. It was very time consuming for him and subsequently made pax standing by the bar to order drinks wait longer. Consequently he had more unhappy pax. If I am HAL I would get those pain in the rear soda drinkers like me out of the way so I can take care of the drink of the day and Wang Wang buyers. That's where the money is at.

It amazes me how the staff seem to understand the little things that HAL does that have a potential negative impact on customer service. The soda card requiring fountain drinks is just another.

I agree completely! I am at the point were I will pay a little more to not be nickeled and dimed on everything.

The beverage cards gave you a 10% discount. The soda card was a 50% discount so consequently a better value if you just wished to purchase sodas. If you purchased soda with the beverage card you were in reality paying 40% more than you had to.

But now HAL in their infinite wisdom has decided that the soda card will be for soft driinks only out of the fountain. The bartender gave me the heads up on this as I asked to buy a soda card on the Westerdam 2 weeks ago. He even took the time to show me. He filled up three sodas from the fountain. With the ice included in the 6oz glass it was the equivalent of one can of soda. So although it is half price it takes 3 sodas from the fountain to make up for the equivalent of one can.

Honestly since I am not one to count pennies or check my final bill I could care less. The most interesting thing I learned was that the bartender was unhappy with the new system. He said when they were busy it was much easier for him to grab 4 cans of pop and 4 glasses of ice then to use the gun to fill up the glass, wait for the foam to subside, and then fill up the glass some more. It was very time consuming for him and subsequently made pax standing by the bar to order drinks wait longer. Consequently he had more unhappy pax. If I am HAL I would get those pain in the rear soda drinkers like me out of the way so I can take care of the drink of the day and Wang Wang buyers. That's where the money is at.

It amazes me how the staff seem to understand the little things that HAL does that have a potential negative impact on customer service. The soda card requiring fountain drinks is just another.

Well said!

Archived