Dan Hanrahan Leaving Celebrity

greeneg

LP also did a great job at Seabourn until Carnival took them over and nearly ruined the line. Thankfully, someone woke up and pulled Carnival's hot mitts off the product and they regained their identity.

But, how does one go from running a cruise line to a beauty salon? Doesn't seem to mesh.

LP also did a great job at Seabourn until Carnival took them over and nearly ruined the line. Thankfully, someone woke up and pulled Carnival's hot mitts off the product and they regained their identity.

But, how does one go from running a cruise line to a beauty salon? Doesn't seem to mesh.

He actually has a very varied background, it hasn't always been in cruising.

It's very simple. If his compensation includes ownership in the company (probably stock) and he manages to turn it around into a profitable venture he could make himself a very wealthy man. It doesn't really matter what the product is...it's management.

He actually has a very varied background, it hasn't always been in cruising.

Hi Cruise Junky,

Following up on your comment, outside of the Cruise industry, Mr Hanrahan's corporate history features an impressive list - including Reebok, Nestle Foods, Texas Instruments, Polaroid, and Gallo Winery.

I've think I've known Dan since about 2006, and will cerainly miss him at the helm of Celebrity. I think he ran a great operation even when the economy turned, he kept Celebrity going in the right direction.

My feeling is it was his vision that turned the Solstice class into the winner that they are. I think the trend in the industry at the time (and sometimes I think still is) was just to keep building bigger ships, rather than better ships. I think Solstice are better ships.

Talking to the staff onboard the shiips, I can say without a doubt his people onboard respect him. I still remember one time a guy said to me "I like Mr Dan , he listens to me", and I heard that again and again. One time he told me how he had all the Hotel Directors over to his house for a dinner, and how very very proud he was to work with such a great group of people.

Dan takes so much pride in his 'teams' onboard. Any time I tried to give him a compliment, he reflected that any successes were due to his teams onboard.

I have no doubt he will turn Regis into a powerhouse, he's able to see things most CEO's can't, and whether its ships, retail, or any type of consumer good, he knows his business.

Good luck Dan, and Thanks for the support professionally and personally, you're a one in a billion, and proud to call you a friend.

It's very simple. If his compensation includes ownership in the company (probably stock) and he manages to turn it around into a profitable venture he could make himself a very wealthy man. It doesn't really matter what the product is...it's management.

But a good manager understands the relevant issues, market, competitors and so on. It's not just a matter of structuring and delegating. Sure, management skills are a part of it, but industry is another part.

Mass market hairdressing is a very different field to high-end, semi exclusive travel. I find it a very odd transfer.

Hi Cruise Junky,

Following up on your comment, outside of the Cruise industry, Mr Hanrahan's corporate history features an impressive list - including Reebok, Nestle Foods, Texas Instruments, Polaroid, and Gallo Winery.

But a good manager understands the relevant issues, market, competitors and so on. It's not just a matter of structuring and delegating. Sure, management skills are a part of it, but industry is another part.

Mass market hairdressing is a very different field to high-end, semi exclusive travel. I find it a very odd transfer.

As you can see, he has experience in a variety of industries. Of course an understanding of the product is a part of the job as well, but that is something that can be acquired by studying the market. Really good turn-around skills are a unique talent.

WOW from Celebrity Cruise Lines to Regis Hair Salons. What a jump.

I hope he can help the Regis chain. I stopped going to our local Regis Salon in the Mall it was always filthy and you always had to wait even w hen you had a booked appointment. It wasn't worth it. Also wasn't worth the price they charged you.

Hopefully, his successor will replace the entire web/internet organization and we'll get a useful/useable web site with accurate information and acceptable speed; they will educate the customer service reps so if you call twice you get the same, correct answer; and the entire management staff will take on public faces rather than "internet manager" or "manager of social media" with no names and no way to contact them.

I wholeheartedly agree..and as for Dan..Good riddance! He hasn't got a clue about pre sales customer service or web commerce..or leveraging IT to improve a business process..and apparently was not open to advise from those that do..

Other than the new builds, I think he took Celebrity in the wrong direction. My family and I just recently sailed Infinity to Alaska and after not having sailed the line for several years, we were shocked at how they have cut back on everything including the quality of food and amenities. The, so called "Socializing" is a joke as all the changes appear to have been done simply to create additional revenue-generating venues; the cabins and common areas were not upgraded at all that we could see.

I hope the new CEO will bring back the old feeling of being treated special and like a "celebrity"!

Big M - I agree with you. To be a good manager you need both excellent management skills and as much knowledge as possible about your company's product. In addition, if a manager is not an expert in his field, his employees will not respect him enough to be team players.

So you think a hairdresser would be the best person to run the company? I hate to generalize, but most artistically talented people are not very good business people. The product that this company provides is service. It's not an extremely technical field that requires an expert.

A friend of my son and daughter-in-law went from being the CEO of Compac Computers to running a similar chain of beauty shops and spas and was so successful that she now has her own company in this field.

Must be an expert in the specific field? Not true in many cases. Example: my current boss is one of the best I've had. We are overseeing the design of S/W for pilots. She isn't a S/W Enger or a pilot. She has a mix of S/W Engers, and us flyers on her team; we are called SME's - Subject Matter Experts. She knows how to direct us, how to work the contracts areas, how to move us to the 'hot issue' areas and so on, how to set priorities and keeps her eye on the horizon...where we are going longterm, and does it well. That is what an executive does. We are in the trenches, getting the work done.

The person she replaced was a pilot who spent all his time trying to do our jobs for us, and micromanaging us, and he failed. She was moved in and got us reset and focused.

By the way, we respect her and know we will lose her shortly as they move her up the foodchain.

Den

Must be an expert in the specific field? Not true in many cases. Example: my current boss is one of the best I've had. We are overseeing the design of S/W for pilots. She isn't a S/W Enger or a pilot. She has a mix of S/W Engers, and us flyers on her team; we are called SME's - Subject Matter Experts. She knows how to direct us, how to work the contracts areas, how to move us to the 'hot issue' areas and so on, how to set priorities and keeps her eye on the horizon...where we are going longterm, and does it well. That is what an executive does. We are in the trenches, getting the work done.

The person she replaced was a pilot who spent all his time trying to do our jobs for us, and micromanaging us, and he failed. She was moved in and got us reset and focused.

By the way, we respect her and know we will lose her shortly as they move her up the foodchain.

Den

Denny, you are right on with your statement. A good Manager, CEO, etc. surrounds themselves with the experts, and leads their teams to success.

Years ago I managed large Dental offices, and subsequently went on to becoming a Dental Consultant. For a few years I also owned and managed a bakery/cafe. I wasn't the baker, nor had any knowledge whatsoever in large baking methods...but I did know how to run a business. I surrounded myself with knowledgeable staff and bakers that knew their craft and knew it well. I led my team.

I have always felt that it doesn't matter whether one's commodity is a cookie or a toothbrush. Good marketing practices and sound business skills are what drives a thriving business. And skilled CEO is an asset to a variety of companies. I wish Dan Hanrahan well in his future venture.

I wonder what changes a new CEO will make to Celebrity? They could certainly choose someone who is outside of the cruise industry with fresh ideas, good or bad, and not just let everything be status quo. Just hopefully not too many bad ones!

I wonder what changes a new CEO will make to Celebrity? They could certainly choose someone who is outside of the cruise industry with fresh ideas, good or bad, and not just let everything be status quo. Just hopefully not too many bad ones!:(

Earlier in this thread someone twisted my words to insinuate that I said that a hair stylist should run Regis. That is obviously not what I meant when I said that the best CEO's usually have good management skills, and are, also, very knowledgeable about their company's product or profession.

However, that doesn't mean a hair stylist is incapable of being the CEO of a company. I know a rebellious sixties kid, who decided to get a job in construction instead of going to college. After a few years of working as a laborer, he decided that he could run a construction firm just as easily. So he started his own construction company and became so successful that his company made him a multi-millionaire.

Big M - I agree with you. To be a good manager you need both excellent management skills and as much knowledge as possible about your company's product. In addition, if a manager is not an expert in his field, his employees will not respect him enough to be team players.

Earlier in this thread someone twisted my words to insinuate that I said that a hair stylist should run Regis. That is obviously not what I meant when I said that the best CEO's usually have good management skills, and are, also, very knowledgeable about their company's product or profession.

However, that doesn't mean a hair stylist is incapable of being the CEO of a company. I know a rebellious sixties kid, who decided to get a job in construction instead of going to college. After a few years of working as a laborer, he decided that he could run a construction firm just as easily. So he started his own construction company and became so successful that his company made him a multi-millionaire.

Sorry if you feel I twisted your words. My response was regarding your last sentence which you seem to have left out this time. I also think you know I asked a rhetorical question.

Love the product that Dan has made "X" and love X both the M & S class of ships ....

Definitely wish Dan well with his future and wonder what the future will bring to "X" ??

I have sailed with most cruise lines and find that Celebrity definitely is my home....I feel that they provide that definite edge of quality service, staff friendliness and attentiveness that makes them my favorite line.

It is always the little things that make the BIG difference & with Celebrity they are there.

The champagne greeting, Senior Officers who will stop and chat, constant friendly smiling faces, Staff that unfailingly remember your name, hunting up that lost item for you and the list goes on....

The discussion about when hospitals were run by doctors, who were concerned with providing the best medical care possible, vs the way they are run now by business people, who are only concerned with the bottom line, illustrates a very important point.

What constitutes a successful business or professional organization? Is it making the most money possible or having a reputation for quality and being better than its competition? If it is the former, than Carnival is a much more successful cruise line than Celebrity because it is has a higher profit margin.

I personally feel that the reputation of a company is much more important than how profitable it is. So if the CEO of a company is not very knowledgeable about what his employees actually do, how can he judge how well they do their job?

Archived