Dan Hanrahan Leaving Celebrity

greeneg

Hi Everyone,

With all due respect to Mr Goldstein, I cant see him moving from a line with 22 ships, to a line with (soon to be) 11 ships. While I have no idea who will be Mr Hanrahan's successor, I'm wondering if Larry Pimentel (Azamara's President & CEO) is on the short list. I have to believe, of Mr Fain's "Deep Bench", Larry has the most experience, and would be a great fit for Celebrity.

I don't think AG is moving either but I just don't want to see someone like AG taking over at Celebrity.

Hopefully, his successor will replace the entire web/internet organization and we'll get a useful/useable web site with accurate information and acceptable speed; they will educate the customer service reps so if you call twice you get the same, correct answer; and the entire management staff will take on public faces rather than "internet manager" or "manager of social media" with no names and no way to contact them.

Amen to that!!

It figures. Dan created a truly different and great brand. I first sailed on Celebrity in January. I was surprised by the quality of the ship, service , food and ambiance. The value, as compared to Regent is phenomenal.

The Solstice class ships are a work of art.

Since my maiden voyage with Celebrity in January I've sailed again in April, and have another booked for December, and hopefully October too.

I just hope the new CEO doesn't change what isn't broken...

I have to add my thoughts. We love Celebrity and it was pleasing that Dan Hanrahan got involved with this board and responded on more than one occasion to matters raised. We are now concerned as to what may follow. Hopefully there will not be too many changes before our next cruise in just under 3 months time.

Hi Bouff,

I would be shocked if anything changes regarding the onboard experience. Celebrity knows their customers are highly satisfied with the product, and IMO, they aren't about to mess with success.

For those wondering, DH isn't going to work for another cruise line.

My gut feeling tells me LP might be a good bet for a replacement. He has done a great job at Azamara. I guess we will all find out soon enough.

OK..OK...OK, I've been getting a Ton of emails urging, no Pleading that I take the job.

Now, where do I send my resume, and what does CEO stand for????

I'm ready. First thing I'll do is allow everyone to bring as much booze on board as they wish, get rid of those pesky gratuities and cut the staff pay in 1/2 to cover the loss of booze revenue, then I'll add open-armpit t-shirts and speedos into the MDR dress code, remove Formal And Casual, and make the dress code title: "Whatever fits or doesn't....give it a go!", and replace the example dress photos with 'Biker Mamma and Hairy Dude'. I'll reduce all tours to a max of 6 people, cut their cost 50% and upgrade all Elites to Suites and if some non-Elite is in a Suite, I'll kick them out!

Did I miss anything us posters-who-know-how-to-run-Cruise-Lines have been demanding?

Ohhh yes, and I'll have each waitstaff team serve only one table, and they can sit at the passengers' table and just gab away! And I'll allow smoking cigars (No cigs, they are bad for you!) wherever you are standing, and if someone complains, the Security Team of Guido and Tony Sarduchi will make a personal visit. Forgot those!

Den

MIAMI, July 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- After 13 years of successful service with Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd., Daniel Hanrahan, President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises, announced today he will be leaving at the end of July to take an exciting new opportunity.

"While leaving Celebrity isn't easy for me, I am very proud of what we have been able to accomplish the last seven years," said Hanrahan. "The delivery of Celebrity Solstice in 2008 changed what was a great brand into the finest premium cruise line in the industry. In four years, we took delivery of five new ships, 'Solsticized' the Millennium class, repositioned the brand around 'Modern Luxury', achieved record high guest ratings and won numerous awards as the best sales organization. Not to mention, we saw our profitability improve dramatically. To say I'm leaving Celebrity in good hands is an understatement. From our teams here in Miami and Wichita, to our crew members on Celebrity ships around the world, this is the finest group of professionals I have ever worked with. I know the Celebrity momentum will continue."

"Finally, I want to thank all the people of Celebrity for their support and help to me over the past years. I feel extremely fortunate to have had the wonderful opportunities our company provided. I'll always look back proudly on what we have accomplished and be thankful for all the wonderful people who have touched my life."

"Royal Caribbean has been very fortunate to have benefited from Dan's leadership and vision over the past 13 years," said Richard D. Fain, Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "Dan has made countless contributions to the company, such as leading the creation of the award-winning 'Get Out There' campaign for Royal Caribbean International, to transforming the Celebrity brand with the stunning Solstice Class fleet. I wish him nothing but the best as he moves on to the next phase of what I'm certain will continue to be a very successful career."

"Fortunately, Dan is leaving a very strong organization, and we are lucky to have great bench strength to continue our vision. While I am sorry to see Dan leave our family, with the strong base of the Celebrity organization and the continued support of the travel agent community, I know Celebrity's future is in good hands," added Fain.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE/OSX: RCL) is a global cruise vacation company that also operates Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara Club Cruises, Pullmantur, CDF Croisieres de France, as well as TUI Cruises through a 50 percent joint venture with TUI AG. The company owns a combined total of 40 ships and has one under construction and two under agreement. It also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Asia, Australia/New Zealand, Canada, Dubai, Europe and South America.

SOURCE Celebrity Cruises

Hi Everyone,

With all due respect to Mr Goldstein, I cant see him moving from a line with 22 ships, to a line with (soon to be) 11 ships. While I have no idea who will be Mr Hanrahan's successor, I'm wondering if Larry Pimentel (Azamara's President & CEO) is on the short list. I have to believe, of Mr Fain's "Deep Bench", Larry has the most experience, and would be a great fit for Celebrity.

Andy,

Larry Pimentel would be the obvious choice and, I believe, an excellent one. Let's hope that is what happens.

Anne

Hi Everyone,

Andy, whilst it would be great to see Larry Pimental recognised and given a promotion like this I really hope he stays with Azamara. Celebrity is a very different beast to that smaller line. Larry has been able to instill a great personal touch to the crew within two small ships and this is their strength. I wonder how successful he'd be with so many more larger vessels especially as from what I have seen Celebrity now seem to be moving toward a more standardised and regimented service delivery. I have noticed this more and more since cruising with Azamara for the first time last September and in comparison with Celebrity say 6-10 years ago.

Phil

Andy, whilst it would be great to see Larry Pimental recognised and given a promotion like this I really hope he stays with Azamara. Celebrity is a very different beast to that smaller line. Larry has been able to instill a great personal touch to the crew within two small ships and this is their strength.

Phil

I'm with you Phil. Azamara has turned into a very special and unique boutique cruise line thanks to the leadership of Larry Pimental. I don't think he would have the latitude and scope he so enjoys if he were to move to Celebrity. It's already too established. At Azamara he was sort of given a blank slate to work with and he has done wonders. Azamara's ratings are the highest in the Royal Caribbean portfolio, and they are destined for growth. I certainly hope Pimental is at the helm of Azamara if and when they introduce a custom designed new ship.

I'm certain there are plenty of qualified people already within the Royal Caribbean organization that are capable of leading Celebrity to it's next chapter.

Ernie

Here's the scoop on Hanrahan's new job: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2012/07/11/regis-hanrahan-new-ceo-royal-caribbean.html

He's going to Regis Corporation, where he will be CEO.

Interesting. I'm guessing Hanrahan has at least a one year non-compete clause in his contract with Celebrity. I wouldn't be surprised if he returns to the cruise industry in a year or so. Time will tell.

Ernie

Andy, whilst it would be great to see Larry Pimental recognised and given a promotion like this I really hope he stays with Azamara. Celebrity is a very different beast to that smaller line. Larry has been able to instill a great personal touch to the crew within two small ships and this is their strength. I wonder how successful he'd be with so many more larger vessels especially as from what I have seen Celebrity now seem to be moving toward a more standardised and regimented service delivery. I have noticed this more and more since cruising with Azamara for the first time last September and in comparison with Celebrity say 6-10 years ago.

Phil

Hi Phil,

While I agree that it would be sad to see Larry leave Azamara, nothing says he has to. They are right next door, and Azamara has 2 ships. If Larry were to be offered the Celebrity position, it's entirely possible he could fill both roles.

I'll disagree with the concerns over the Azamara CEO coming to Celebrity and it being a very different type of cruise line so it could be an issue.

As an obvious example, Hanrahan is going to Regis which has Nothing to do with cruise ships and so on. He is a leader and an Executive with excellent talents which can be applied in many venues...just like another Executive could step into Celebrity from a completely different business. So I have a feeling that the Azamara CEO could somehow figure out how to run a larger very similar business.

Could very well be him, but it could Very well be someone none of us is familiar with and not even in the business, at least not recently.

One thing I loved about the Navy. They would assign me jobs that I couldn't even spell, and within a month, I was a raving expert...at least in my own mind!

Den

Hi Everyone,

Sounds like Larry Pimentel would be a good fit for Celebrity, Host Andy! :)

Although we've never cruised on Azamara, I followed the reports of the fire on Quest, earlier this year. The calm, professional manner in which that emergency was handled reflects very well on Azamara's management. And Mr. Pimentel flying over to personally meet with the disembarking passengers really raised the bar for customer service. :cool:

I just hope that it's not someone who came from the "Adam Goldstein" school of business. As much as I love RCI, they are heading more towards the Carnival end of cruising which is turning me off to them.

Exactly why after more than 50 RCCL cruises we are cruising Celebrity more often!

M

Hi Everyone,

And he has done a great job with Azamara.

Hi Phil,

While I agree that it would be sad to see Larry leave Azamara, nothing says he has to. They are right next door, and Azamara has 2 ships. If Larry were to be offered the Celebrity position, it's entirely possible he could fill both roles.

BINGO ! Andy, you might have hit it right on , here....and lest we forget,Azamara started life as a last second change of mindset from Celebrity Quest and Celebrity Journey ,...and the reverse process could very well be in the offing,although Azamara is a totally different product line and ought to be operated that way.

L.P. has earned at least a top end spot on the short list....( and the VERY short time it has been in the making....unless, as Arno pointed out, it was a shove, not a jump....).

I have to think the iceberg that jumped in our collective face this morning has been ''in the making'' for a while already....

My opinion

Cheers

C

Very strange and interesting announcement. From our trip last sumer on the Solstice, we appreciated his leadership, class and creativity of his in making these special ships happen. BUT, we would like to know . . . "the rest of story!?" Now we know he is moving on to be CEO of "Struggling hair salon operator Regis Corp." per the news story. That seems a little "unique" as much of a step up and/or "exciting". This firm has been on a money-losing streak.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,855 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

With Regis, Dan gets to be the CEO of a stand alone company that is twice the size of the Celebrity Cruises, Inc. If he can turn it around, he'll be set for life. IMHO.

Good points!! Here's more from the Miami Herald: "The Minneapolis-based company owns, franchises or has ownership interests in more than 12,000 locations around the world, including the Supercuts, MasterCuts, Regis Salons and Sassoon Salon concepts. The company, which reported $2.2 billion in revenues for the 12-month period that ended June 30, also includes beauty schools and hair restoration centers."

Here's the link for the full story:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/11/2891561/daniel-hanrahan-ceo-of-celebrity.html#storylink=cpy

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,855 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I was a big fan of Celebrity starting with my first cruise in 1996. After Mr. Hanrahan took over, I was disappointed on each and every subsequent cruise. Pod problems, food problems, lack of attention to detail, etc., etc. I moved over to HAL and have been very pleased ever since.

Since I am elite with X, I may give them another try after we see how the replacement does.

With Regis, Dan gets to be the CEO of a stand alone company that is twice the size of the Celebrity Cruises, Inc. If he can turn it around, he'll be set for life. IMHO.

I agree Captain Bob. There are many folks that simply love new challenges. Certainly can't blame Dan for that. And... he'll never have a bad hair day !

Archived