Jeans in Sette Mari & Lounges - What do you think?

Baby Boomers wearing shorts to dinner? That is a funny image considering their age (50+). Actually many are cruising Regent already. The dress code changed not too long ago. Other luxury lines are just beginning to relax dress codes..... IMO, it will take quite a long time before the generation after the Baby Boomers from the U.S. and Canada are cruising Regent. A large percentage of Europeans are still wearing suits and ties to dinner in CR. Maybe in 5-10 years they will be comfortable dressing Elegant Casual.

The bottom line is that the dress code is what it is now. Passengers either accept it or go elsewhere -- not a big deal really.

[quote name='ChatKat in Ca.']When the Baby Boomers who want to wear Jeans and Shorts to dinner and can afford to pay Regent Prices as the previous generation becomes unable to cruise, the dress code even for a luxury line, will change.[/QUOTE]

Sorry being born in 1953 makes me a "Boomer" ....

I went to the first public school to have no dress code in the US. We wore everything you would not have been able to wear. Pants, jeans, bathing suits to summer school....Thongs/flip flops. I go regularly to the top tier restaurants in my area and I promise you the dress codes will drop their standards further because that is what is happening. It might be some time but Formal even at weddings today is not what it was. Remember panty hose? Gone! That was a staple of being dressed up. Even ties rarely worn.

[quote name='ChatKat in Ca.']I went to the first public school to have no dress code in the US. We wore everything you would not have been able to wear. Pants, jeans, bathing suits to summer school....Thongs/flip flops. I go regularly to the top tier restaurants in my area and I promise you the dress codes will drop their standards further because that is what is happening. It might be some time but Formal even at weddings today is not what it was. Remember panty hose? Gone! That was a staple of being dressed up. Even ties rarely worn.[/QUOTE]

Kathy! What is the point of all of this....Regent has a very casual dress code but still you want something else...maybe Regent is just not the place for you.

PS Host Dan please close this thread!

Just curious, though; what titration of denim is sufficient to ruin an evening's dining? I don't remember how many CR holds, but it's huge, right, maybe 450? *So*. Half of the room in jeans and Keds *would* feel kind of like a kiddie ride; I see that. But, one or two all the way on the other side of the room could surely only concern one if one were looking for it. Again, *so*, speaking as a perception scientist in my day job, I'd imagine that there is an equation that takes into account number and proximity, yielding as its resultant a discomfort level (modified by a constant which is different for each individual). I.E., to examine the two extremes, in a dining room of 450, if five jeans-sporting individuals were positioned as far away and invisibly (to one's line of sight) as possible, one would not notice. However, if those same five were positioned at tables immediately adjacent, and furthermore within one's direct line of sight, then those subliminal alarms might begin to shrill.

[quote name='nana541']Kathy! What is the point of all of this....Regent has a very casual dress code but still you want something else...maybe Regent is just not the place for you.

PS Host Dan please close this thread![/QUOTE]

Nana,

Please reread what she wrote. She FOLLOWS the dress code. She is saying times are changing, and perhaps someday, Regent will also change it's dress code. No one is saying it is happening soon! Have you been to the Opera or Theater and seen what people wear there??? Young people just don't dress. They will be taking our place on Regent someday.

Tell your friend New London he has me mistaken for someone else, as I do not go on the River boards. My DH wears a navy blazer for dinner each night!! I am waiting for a heartfelt apology!!

[quote name='LindaM']Nana,

Please reread what she wrote. She FOLLOWS the dress code. She is saying times are changing, and perhaps someday, Regent will also change it's dress code. No one is saying it is happening soon! Have you been to the Opera or Theater and seen what people wear there??? Young people just don't dress. They will be taking our place on Regent someday.

Tell your friend New London he has me mistaken for someone else, as I do not go on the River boards. My DH wears a navy blazer for dinner each night!! I am waiting for a heartfelt apology!![/QUOTE]

Sorry guess I'm just tired of the whole subject.... There is a time and a place for "play clothes" and I'm am sick of seeing them in places they don't belong. I think on larger ships there are venues for folks that want to be very casual. Remember it was just a couple years ago that on Regent you literally would not be allowed out of your cabin after 6pm unless dressed in the attire of the evening and guests were invited to dine in-cabin if "formal" nite was not their thing!
So talk of still reducing the dress codes even further, when the change is one of the most casual already is puzzling?
While there are many reasons DH and I cruise Regent, and not Crystal, or others, I would say that Smoking and no more Formal nites are on the short list of whats appreciated ..

Maybe we could go back to talking about laundry, a much happier subject now that I have reformed and send mine out!

PS IMHO blue jeans in the laundry room after 6pm is totally acceptable :)

LindaM, I think you have told Newlondon of his error... Sadly, sometimes we all get carried away on occausion (including me), wouldn't it be nice if we could could just have a glass of wine in the Observation Lounge!

nana541: When I went to bed last night I had hope that this thread would have ended by this morning. Now it seems to be back to where it was several pages ago. As you know, this thread isn't a wish list of how someone would like the dress code to be. Silk shorts, expensive jeans, etc. have already been discussed. It also does not matter whether or not someone is bothered by having someone in jeans sitting at a table in CR or thinking that you can wear what you like because it is your vacation.

The Dress Code for Regent is written on the website. If you don't like it, don't sail Regent, Seabourn, Silversea or Crystal because you cannot wear jeans to dinner on any of these lines. If you do not follow the dress code, you can be asked to leave the dining venue to change or dine in your cabin. Those are the facts!

nana541, maybe if we both wish really hard, this thread will disappear:D

Smoking vs no smoking
Jeans vs no jeans
Formal vs casual
concierge vs not
all inclusive vs ala carte
A civil conversation vs only one opinion allowed

We are all entitled to share our thoughts on topic even if you disagree. Civility vs name calling....

I like the idea about having Compass Rose split with the starboard/port side having a more casual dress code. My husband who wore suits and tie to work for 35 years when asked if he would wear jeans to Compass Rose if approved said he'd love to dress in jeans with a jacket or nice sweater. We are packing for a cruise next week and he lamented that slacks he likes need ironing if worn more than once and jeans do not. There are no laundry facilities on our river cruise.

Amazing how some posters have a double standard. These people state that the dress codes are the rules and people need to follow those rules yet these same posters try to be the moderators on this board and decide whether or not a thread should continue regardless of the rules that the moderator is the person who decides whether or not to close a thread.

The message has been sent and Host Dan has chosen to allow this thread to continue with people posting their preferences. Time to stop reading the thread if you don't agree with how the moderator is handling it and stop telling others to stop posting

[quote name='rallydave']Amazing how some posters have a double standard. These people state that the dress codes are the rules and people need to follow those rules yet these same posters try to be the moderators on this board and decide whether or not a thread should continue regardless of the rules that the moderator is the person who decides whether or not to close a thread.

The message has been sent and Host Dan has chosen to allow this thread to continue with people posting their preferences. Time to stop reading the thread if you don't agree with how the moderator is handling it and stop telling others to stop posting[/QUOTE]

Oh dear :0

You say on one hand that people should be able to express their opinions. On the other hand you do not think that nana541 and I are allowed to express the opinion that this thread is going in circles, is very argumentative and, IMO, fairly worthless. Most importantly, no one on this thread was name calling. The thread was supposedly about jeans in Sette Mari -- on whether or not the Dress Code had officially changed in that dining venue. I do not believe that anyone said there was only one opinion allowed -- simply that there is one fact. The fact is that there is a Dress Code and that is the way Regent passengers must dress. That is not an opinion. In fact, I have not shared what my personal opinion is on the subject. IMO, Elegant Casual has gone too far in the "casual" direction. I would like to see jackets required for Signatures, Prime 7 and the night of the Captain's Reception (and, this opinion is coming from a Baby Boomer).

Also, there is a big difference in stating that this is your vacation and you'll dress the way you like vs. saying that you follow the dress code but would prefer if it was more casual.

BTW, there are dress travel trousers for men on the market that resist wrinkles. I do iron dress jeans and find them more difficult to iron than slacks.

Just saw rallydave's post. Once again, you think you can decide that we cannot have the opinion that the thread should end (not by Host Dan -- simply because it has run its course). :rolleyes: I seriously doubt that anyone reported this thread to Host Dan.

A simple non-argumentative question, please.

Are my Manolo Blahnik beaded flip flop type sandals that were $825 acceptable based on the above comments. As I frequently wear them to church(Old style Episcopal) it does beg the question.

A simple-- I DO NOT want to argue-question and I would love to hear everyone's opinions. And yes, we are baby boomers who can afford to cruise whatever line we wish as long as it goes where WE want to go.

Thank you.

Debi

Just saw rallydave's post. Once again, you think you can decide that we cannot have the opinion that the thread should end (not by Host Dan -- simply because it has run its course). :rolleyes: I seriously doubt that anyone reported this thread to Host Dan.

Obviously no one can stop you from having an opinion. You are mistaken if you think that Host Dan only takes action for threads that have been reported.

The problem as I will restate is the double standard regarding following the rules. If one tells others that they need to follow the rules, they should also follow the rules. Only one moderator and that's Host Dan. He does read the threads and reacts accordingly whether or not someone has reported the thread. People certainly have the right to report any thread they so choose but, once that is done and the moderator does not take action, keeping repeating the request is simply not following the forum rules.

nana541: When I went to bed last night I had hope that this thread would have ended by this morning. Now it seems to be back to where it was several pages ago. As you know, this thread isn't a wish list of how someone would like the dress code to be. Silk shorts, expensive jeans, etc. have already been discussed. It also does not matter whether or not someone is bothered by having someone in jeans sitting at a table in CR or thinking that you can wear what you like because it is your vacation.

The Dress Code for Regent is written on the website. If you don't like it, don't sail Regent, Seabourn, Silversea or Crystal because you cannot wear jeans to dinner on any of these lines. If you do not follow the dress code, you can be asked to leave the dining venue to change or dine in your cabin. Those are the facts!

nana541, maybe if we both wish really hard, this thread will disappear:D

Jackie,

On our ten day Silver Shadow cruise this summer, there were a few people who wore jeans to dinner in the main dining room on informal and casual nights. No one asked the people in jeans to leave the dining room. So I guess Silversea is making exceptions now.

BTW my husband and I follow the dress code on any line we sail.

A simple non-argumentative question, please.

Are my Manolo Blahnik beaded flip flop type sandals that were $825 acceptable based on the above comments. As I frequently wear them to church(Old style Episcopal) it does beg the question.

A simple-- I DO NOT want to argue-question and I would love to hear everyone's opinions. And yes, we are baby boomers who can afford to cruise whatever line we wish as long as it goes where WE want to go.

Thank you.

Debi

Hi Debi!

I think only you can answer that question, I too have dressy sandals that could be described as "flip flops with heels".. Don't think the Brand or price paid has any bearing. You yourself know whether they are beach shoes or dressy sandals!

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Obviously no one can stop you from having an opinion. You are mistaken if you think that Host Dan only takes action for threads that have been reported.

The problem as I will restate is the double standard regarding following the rules. If one tells others that they need to follow the rules, they should also follow the rules. Only one moderator and that's Host Dan. He does read the threads and reacts accordingly whether or not someone has reported the thread. People certainly have the right to report any thread they so choose but, once that is done and the moderator does not take action, keeping repeating the request is simply not following the forum rules.

And this is relevant to the topic how?

wripro: You are 100% correct. In my case, I don't want the last word but have difficulty leaving incorrectly stated policies on a thread without pointing it out. Perhaps some posters should re-read CruiseCritics "Guidelines".

Yes

Quoting someone and deleting the last word in their sentence is more than a bit strange. Really did not expect an answer to the question. The only rules dicussed on this thread were Regent's -- not CruiseCritics (except being off topic). Never mind........ keep posting whatever you wish -- whether it is accurate or not. There is absolutely no CC policy that states that a poster cannot ask that a post be removed -- multiple times or one time. Not only Host Dan reads and can remove posts/threads, so can Laura. But, don't want to confuse fiction with facts.

I was just at a very exclusive private club that allows denim to be worn. They however, did not allow my guest to wear a designer leather thong beaded/jeweled sandals because they felt they looked too much like a flip flop.

I do not understand why a thread discussing dress onboard needs closing. I do think there needs to be one venue on board where people can dine in the evening that does not require changing into evening dress after a full day of touring aside from room service.

Archived