Jeans in Sette Mari & Lounges - What do you think?

Therefore, the fact that people were not asked to change is unusual and a bit disturbing.

They weren't asked to change because the manager of Setti said that jeans were allowed. That is what started this discussion in the other thread. Not that people were wearing jeans, but that they were told it was okay by Regent staff. Now, whether the official policy has been communicated on the website or mailed to customers? I have no idea. However, I am guessing that the restaurant managers don't have the authority to change things like the dress code so she must have heard it from somebody.

There are times when the crew on a ship hears something (similiar to what was said by Mark Conroy -- an opinion) and they go forward with it -- without authorization to do so. This may be the case on the Mariner. While the number of days a person has sailed on Regent does not make their opinion more important or worthy than someone who has only one cruise on Regent, during my time on board Regent, I have heard unsubstantiated rumors of what is going to happen many times. And, at least 50% of the time, the rumor never comes to pass.

Going by CruiseCritic estimates, 95% of Regent cruisers have not read CruiseCritic (boy -- they have really missed out :D). Therefore, they pack according to what their TA and the Regent website guidelines set forth. As mentioned in a much earlier post on this thread, newbies to Regent may not have read the dress code and show up dressed differently than the dress code dictates/recommends. Passengers with TA's who specialize in luxury cruising would not even think of wearing shorts or jeans in any venue after 6:00 p.m.

It occured to me this evening that jeans and shorts don't seem strange during the summer months when the sun sets quite late. During the rest of the year, when the sun sets anywhere from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m., changing into dinner clothing seems much more appropriate. When you enter the Observation Lounge at 6:00 p.m. in the winter (depending upon what hemisphere you are in), it is upscale, romantic and very dark.

Just want to suggest again........ Oceania is at least at upscale as Regent (although not designated as "luxury".) They welcome jeans and shorts in one of their restaurants. Since there is no luxury cruise line (exception: Seadream Yacht Club) that permits jeans or shorts after 6:00 p.m., rather than attempting to change Regent's three ships, perhaps you should choose another line where everyone will be more comfortable.

Regent -- this is probably the perfect time to post the current dress code. Please --- give us some direction. Whether we are for or against jeans in Sette Mari and the Observation Lounge -- at least state what the "recommended" policy is...... please????

rather than attempting to change Regent's three ships, perhaps you should choose another line where everyone will be more comfortable.

Excuse me, but where in my post did I say that I was wearing jeans on the regent cruise? Where did I say that I wanted to wear jeans? Where did I say that I was trying to change the ships? All I said is that 'I think' jeans should be acceptable. that is just my opinion and it is just as valid as yours.

I like sailing on Regent and am not interest in switching lines, but thank you for your concern. Perhaps you should choose another line where everyone will be more formal.

Excuse me, but where in my post did I say that I was wearing jeans on the regent cruise? Where did I say that I wanted to wear jeans? Where did I say that I was trying to change the ships? All I said is that 'I think' jeans should be acceptable. that is just my opinion and it is just as valid as yours.

I like sailing on Regent and am not interest in switching lines, but thank you for your concern. Perhaps you should choose another line where everyone will be more formal.

Really sorry, I did not mean "you" as you personally. I meant "you" as anyone who is not happy with the dress code on Regent.

BTW, I checked with my TA and there has not been a change in dress code in Sette Mari. Someone on the Mariner is obviously doing their own thing.

Really sorry, I did not mean "you" as you personally. I meant "you" as anyone who is not happy with the dress code on Regent.

BTW, I checked with my TA and there has not been a change in dress code in Sette Mari. Someone on the Mariner is obviously doing their own thing.

Gotcha, sorry I took it the wrong way. And sorry for my sarcastic response :)

OK here goes......

Part of this was posted before. Direct from the Regent web site....Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime onboard or ashore, and consists of resort-style outfits. Casual wear, including shorts and jeans, is not appropriate after 6:00 pm, with the exception of the final evening of the cruise. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind on the last night of every voyage we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

The recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual resort wear. Formal and semi-formal attire is optional on sailings of 16 nights or more. Dinner dress includes skirt, or slacks with blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes are not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required.

The dress code for Regent has almost as many loop holes in it as the ones for any other cruise line.

"not appropriate after 6:00 pm"

So it says not appropriate but that is not the same as not allowed. If they don't want jeans etc in the lounges, the code should painly say not allowed after 6PM at dinner and in the lounges.

"with the exception of the final evening of the cruise."

Ok on the last night shorts and jeans are definitely appropriate around the ship..after 6PM.

"recommended onboard dress"

OK again the vague wording...just say required!

"Jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes are not to be worn at dinner."

Here Regent is clear...no jeans, shorts or tennis shoes at dinner, however they say nothing of the sort for the lounges. And even though they say the last night will be casual, this statement says that is not the case for the dinning rooms. So things are still a bit unclear.

Of course all this is JMO!

I have never understood why anyone gets their undies in a wad over a person wearing jeans in the evening, especially todays jeans! But doing so or talking about it seems to be like waving a red flag in front of a bull. As long as all the important parts are covered and the person is clean and behaving in an appropriate way, why should anyone really care. I know...the ship has a dress code:)

Niether my DH nor I wear jeans. But if Regent or any cruise line, wants to attract passengers in the future to replace those of us going headlong toward a certain age, they are going to have to be more flexible in the dress codes. IMO To attract the younger professionals like my sons and son in law and their wives who like cruising and can now or wil be able to cruise on Regent when they are empty nesters, Regent needs to offer casual venues in the evening where jeans are acceptable. Personally I have no problem with this, even for the "luxury lines" we enjoy. I know we will be able to dress for dinner as we always have.

At the risk of seemingly being all over myself by quoting myself (from post #45 on this thread)

I do believe that Mark Conroy subscribes to one of my favorite rules (this from a non-rules follower), and that is to avoid wasting valuable time on exceptions. Why spend so much time on exceptions? I need to say that again. Why spend so much time on exceptions?

After all, the discussion (here and on another thread) about the fabric of clothing (denim) that covers probably less than 5% of people is indeed an exception. I believe there must be a rule that states that if 5% or less don't follow a rule, it must indeed be an exception.

In fact, if Regent wants to stay relevant I would say they need to overlook the fabric of the trousers and keep focused on continuing to play to those who can afford to pay the fare, regardless of the fabric of their trousers.

And now, thank you dear cwn for validating my thoughts. . .

OK here goes......

I have never understood why anyone gets their undies in a wad over a person wearing jeans in the evening, . . .I know...the ship has a dress code:)

Niether my DH nor I wear jeans. But if Regent or any cruise line, wants to attract passengers in the future to replace those of us going headlong toward a certain age, they are going to have to be more flexible in the dress codes. IMO To attract the younger professionals like my sons and son in law and their wives who like cruising and can now or wil be able to cruise on Regent when they are empty nesters, Regent needs to offer casual venues in the evening where jeans are acceptable. Personally I have no problem with this, even for the "luxury lines" we enjoy. I know we will be able to dress for dinner as we always have.

Amen, amen, amen, amen, amen. And amen.

So, Rules Followers, unite and ensure that your favorite line dies with their older passengers (I am reminded of dear old departed Renaissance which I loved, even though I was by far the youngest passenger on board on my first trip with them in the 90s). Demand that Regent kick those offenders out of those restaurants, follow those rules, make sure those new generation of spenders who an afford the cruise never return, and that they tell their friends about the experience so they never try it. . . . .

Even if you don't buy that argument. . .for goodness sakes, buy the argument that you've now got pages and pages about exception. . .still you want Regent to come out with a more pronounced dress code. Oh dear.

So, Rules Followers, unite and ensure that your favorite line dies with their older passengers (I am reminded of dear old departed Renaissance which I loved, even though I was by far the youngest passenger on board on my first trip with them in the 90s). Demand that Regent kick those offenders out of those restaurants, follow those rules, make sure those new generation of spenders who an afford the cruise never return, and that they tell their friends about the experience so they never try it. . . . .

Even if you don't buy that argument. . .for goodness sakes, buy the argument that you've now got pages and pages about exception. . .still you want Regent to come out with a more pronounced dress code. Oh dear.

mimito4: I find this post upsetting on so many levels. Don't even know where to start.

1. So, Rules Followers, unite and ensure that your favorite line dies with their older passengers . This is upsetting on so many levels. Hope people aren't sitting around waiting for babyboomers to die.

2. Demand that Regent kick those offenders out of those restaurants, follow those rules, make sure those new generation of spenders who an afford the cruise never return. Regent made up the rules -- not the passengers. We are following their guidelines. Regent ships are running almost full and with more newbies than we have ever seen. Until the confusion about dress code came up last week, I have not seen even one post complaining about Regent's current dress code.

3. . . .still you want Regent to come out with a more pronounced dress code. Oh dear. omg -- this very long thread has given people the opportunity to give their views on Regent's dress code. It has been all over the place and quite polite -- we have even joked about it. Many of us have simply wanted to know where the new dress code (only seen on the Mariner) came from.

If Regent had changed it's dress code (which, according to my TA it has not), new guidelines would have been published.

Your post was quite upsetting (obviously). I truly do not think you meant some of it to come across the way it did.:(

At the risk of seemingly being all over myself by quoting myself (from post #45 on this thread)

And now, thank you dear cwn for validating my thoughts. . .

Amen, amen, amen, amen, amen. And amen.

The whole reason I am considering Regent is that they are NOT millitant about the dress code and here you go make it sound like a dictatorship at sea???:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

Unite?...are you a passenger or a shotcaller for a union?:rolleyes:

Wow. Sorry. It's not my nature to be insulting or to upset. Just trying to make a point, but obviously I failed miserably if you found it upsetting, and if it earned 3 eye rolls and 2 eeks.

From this point forward will attempt to follow my own rules regarding posting here. Again, my apologies.

Wow. Sorry. It's not my nature to be insulting or to upset. Just trying to make a point, but obviously I failed miserably if you found it upsetting, and if it earned 3 eye rolls and 2 eeks.

From this point forward will attempt to follow my own rules regarding posting here. Again, my apologies.

Please, please T continue you well thought out and excellent posts. There are those who believe it is their responsibility to be moderators for CC as well as espouse their opinions as if they are the gospel and that their opinions must be the last word even when on site reports and being informed that the President of the Line have stated otherwise.

Absolutely no failure on your part and you didn't upset those willing to listen to the truth. Again, some people only want it their way and can't accept differing opinions and facts

The whole reason I am considering Regent is that they are NOT millitant about the dress code and here you go make it sound like a dictatorship at sea???:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

Unite?...are you a passenger or a shotcaller for a union?:rolleyes:

Seabourntraveller, that is the whole point of some of the more recent posts is that Regent is NOT militant about the dress code; only some of CC's most militant posters. We've seen Regent's dress code change in the past few years and on sight reports that further change is occurring as well as a quote from the President that there have been recent dress code changes notwithstanding a formal policy change in writing.

Don't let those who want their opinions accepted by all and who won't accept change until it is in black and white ruin the experience for those who understand the need to change as time change.

Regent made up the rules -- not the passengers. We are following their guidelines. Regent ships are running almost full and with more newbies than we have ever seen. Until the confusion about dress code came up last week, I have not seen even one post complaining about Regent's current dress code.

I'm very confused by this statement. I still don't recall seeing anyone "complaining" about the policies. I've only seen discussion here and suggestion/support for change... but no complaints at all (unless I have missed something).

I think the Generation X group will want change and as they start to become empty nesters (which many of my friends my age are just starting now) there will be more demand for slighly more relaxed dress codes. My generation does wear jeans to everything but does so in a presentable manner. It's going to be a while before I'm an empty nester since there's a 6 year old in my life... but we'll be rid of the teenager (16) much sooner. :D

I can't wait to rock my cargo shorts on my upcoming cruise during the allowed times! I fall into the real young set...UNDER 40!!

I am shocked there is no thread regarding capri pants: Are they pants or are they shorts?

I also read a post stating "long skirts"...well I'll be shocking and wear a skirt that goes slightly above the knee!

Everyone should should stop beating up on the"no dungarees" opinion people. The whole discussion is indicative of an attitude. As a privately owned company, I believe Regent is entitled to set their own rules and policies and as a paying customer, I would expect them to be enforced. No dungarees mean no dungarees. As someone who works 358 days a year in jeans, one of the appealing factors to someone like me is a change of everyday ambiance. Who would be in charge og deciding what dungarees are acceptable? It would be so much easier for me to leave my suitcase right outside of the barn and have the car pick me up to zip us to the airport. For our one week a year, I expect to get what I pay for. When the policy changes, I can either roll with it or go elserwhere. For those who insist on disregarding the rules, I would assume that you would feel forced to keep your opinion to yourselves when Grandpa and the baby pop into the pool wearing diapers or the table next to you in CR requests an ashtray. The staff should not be put into the difficult position of enforcing the rules but the officers should. I do believe that this whole dress code thing will evolve whether I like it or not and then we can make a choice. While talking to a lawyer friend and discussing this whole bizzare discussion, he pointed out that with the way of the world today..... someone someday could make the point that they were traumatized in early childhood by a person wearing dungarees and fully expected this to be a "safe jean free" environment because of the policy put forth by the company they were paying. Stupid? Of course. When Rssc changes their policy on dungarees we can all wear them. As always....be careful what you wish for.

I asked Regent in the UK about the dress code and got a reply from Nebraska. I quote and :confused:

"On Board Dress Code

Out of respect for nautical tradition, and in keeping with the ambiance of modern luxury cruise ships, Regent Seven Seas Cruises has established a revised dress code policy. Effective with the New Year’s cruises 2011/2012, all guests are respectfully requested to adhere to the following guidelines:

Daytime Dress Code (until 6 p.m.)

During the day, resort style clothing (including shorts) is acceptable in all public areas.

Note: Bathing suits, while acceptable at the Pool Bar and Grill, are not considered appropriate in any indoor venue.

Evening Dress Code (after 6 p.m.)

Two types of dress code have been established for evenings in public areas: Elegant Casual, and Formal. As a general rule, the number of Formal nights per cruise is dependent upon the length of the cruise, as follows:

·Cruises of seven nights or less will have NO Formal nights

·Cruises of eight to thirteen nights will have TWO Formal nights

·Cruises of fourteen nights or more will have THREE Formal nights

Elegant Casual: Skirt or slacks with a blouse or sweater for ladies; slacks and collared shirt for gentlemen. Jackets are optional.

Note: Jeans, T-shirts, baseball caps, shorts, sneakers and bathrobes are not considered appropriate in any public area after 6 p.m.

Formal: Gowns, dresses and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jacket or dark suit with tie for gentlemen.

Note: Guests who do not wish to dress formally on Formal nights may dine in La Veranda restaurant, where Elegant Casual is always acceptable during evening hours."

I asked Regent in the UK about the dress code and got a reply from Nebraska. I quote and :confused:

"On Board Dress Code

Out of respect for nautical tradition, and in keeping with the ambiance of modern luxury cruise ships, Regent Seven Seas Cruises has established a revised dress code policy. Effective with the New Year’s cruises 2011/2012, all guests are respectfully requested to adhere to the following guidelines:

During the day, resort style clothing (including shorts) is acceptable in all public areas.

Note: Bathing suits, while acceptable at the Pool Bar and Grill, are not considered appropriate in any indoor venue.

Two types of dress code have been established for evenings in public areas: Elegant Casual, and Formal. As a general rule, the number of Formal nights per cruise is dependent upon the length of the cruise, as follows:

Elegant Casual: Skirt or slacks with a blouse or sweater for ladies; slacks and collared shirt for gentlemen. Jackets are optional.

Note: Jeans, T-shirts, baseball caps, shorts, sneakers and bathrobes are not considered appropriate in any public area after 6 p.m.

Formal: Gowns, dresses and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jacket or dark suit with tie for gentlemen.

Note: Guests who do not wish to dress formally on Formal nights may dine in La Veranda restaurant, where Elegant Casual is always acceptable during evening hours."

At least one thing remains consistent with Regent and that is their inconsistent and incorrect responses!! While Regent does have offices in Omaha Nebraska, perhaps Regent UK asked the question to another cruise line since the above is almost completely incorrect based on personal experience plus I'm sure the experiences of everyone who has cruised Regent since New Years cruises 2011/2012.

Perhaps Regent is again changing the dress this coming New Years Cruises 2012/2013. If so, big, big, big mistake!!!

"On Board Dress Code

Key word "Guideline" is mentioned and NOT policy!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Key word "Guideline" is mentioned and NOT policy!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Actually the terms Policy as well as Guideline are mentioned in the same sentence. Can anyone say conflicting terms in the same sentence??

Guess this matches Special Discounts that are the same as current and past pricing. Seems more than marketing fails to proof read what is written and published!

Also, messages from the President and on board reports conflicts with the conflicts. Perhaps Regent is trying to keep us all confused??

Most 5 star hotels have at least one restaurant/lounge venue where casual (jeans) dress is allowed why not Regent? Surely seeing someone in jeans in the hallways or by the pool can't be that offensive. As you can tell, I vote a big yes for casual dress in SM and lounges, especially on long (30 day+) cruises! Over time I'm sure the changing demographics of their customer base will demand it. This issue reminds me of the debates and strong opinions of changing work clothes policies in companies and contemporary vs traditional church services. You can tell how that went in order for them to grow and prosper:).

"On Board Dress Code

The information you received relates to the old dress code. There are now no formal nights, only "formal optional" and the dress code is now:

During the day, resort style clothing (including shorts, warm-up suits and jeans) is acceptable in all public areas.

Two types of dress code have been established for evenings in public areas: Elegant Casual, and Formal Optional. The number of Formal Optional nights per cruise is dependent upon the length of the cruise, as follows:

• Cruises of fourteen nights or less will be Elegant Casual for the duration

• Cruises of fifteen nights or more will have two Formal Optional nights

Note: Guests on World Cruises or Grand Voyages should refer to specific cruise for daily dress code guidelines.

Elegant Casual: Skirt, or slacks (no jeans) with a blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks (no jeans) and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional.

Formal Optional: While guests are welcome to dress each evening as per the Elegant Casual dress code, during Formal Optional evenings, guests may opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suit with tie for gentlemen.

Yes I know it is old info but I posted it as sent to me. :D

Have you thought of telling them that the advice they received from Nebraska is 2 years out of date to prevent them passing it on to other enquirers? I am sure that Graham Sadler, the UK MD would wish to know.

Have you thought of telling them that the advice they received from Nebraska is 2 years out of date to prevent them passing it on to other enquirers? I am sure that Graham Sadler, the UK MD would wish to know.

Why in the world would customers have to inform a company as to what their policies are?It would seem that it is about time that the boss at Regent weighs in with an official clarification on policy with dates and exceptions,,,,blah blah blah. It would then probably be the smart thing when traveling to bring along the printout, thereby eliminating any "confusion" regardless of what the policy turns out to be.

mimito4: I didn't think you meant the post to sound the way it did. Just was surprised to read it.

rallydave: Yes -- there are people with strong opinions on CC and you are certainly one of them. But, why do you have to put down other people in order to make a point?:rolleyes: Please reread Mark Conroy's response to Wes. He certainly did not sound like he knew what the dress code was in Sette Mari and his statement was not a policy statement -- sounded like an opinion to me.

rogerstone: Thank you for posting the incorrect dress code sent to you from Regent. I believe the current Elegant Casual dress code has been in effect almost 3 years.

dixiechick and sherilyn70: The current dress code is the result of customer requests and a vote on CruiseCritic. Regent does care about what customers think -- but it does have to be a majority. If/when Generation X'ers are able to afford luxury cruises and are able to contribute to Regent's bottom line, I'm sure Regent will listen. At the moment, Baby Boomers (the largest segment of the population -- at least at one time) are 46 - 66 and are booking luxury cruises like crazy. When many of us were younger -- during the hippie era -- we wore outrageous clothing such as see-through blouses, huge bell-bottom pants, etc. How we dress now depends upon the part of the country we live in. West Coasters do tend to wear more casual clothing while New Yorkers enjoy dressing up. People over 66 (not sure what that generation is called) wore suits and ties everywhere when they were younger (based on old movies, photographs, etc.) Now, depending upon where they live, some are still a bit formal (particularly Europeans still living there) and many wear burmuda shorts to dinner (Florida). IMO, there is nothing wrong with how a person dresses and there will never be a time -- or a generation -- that agrees on proper dress code on a cruise ship.

Fizzy makes a good point about putting others down for their opinion -- as long as the opinion is not hurting anyone. There is a huge difference in disagreeing with an opinion and belittling the person who posted his/her opinion. Most cruise lines still have formal nights. Most luxury cruise lines tend to be quite adamant about their formal dress codes (Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea). It is their right to set forth dress codes and to enforce them. The majority of Regent passengers are very pleased with the current dress code..... at least for now.

Archived