Jeans in Sette Mari & Lounges - What do you think?

...Collared polo shirts are fine, although some would disagree that they are within the spirit of "elegant casual".

I always have interpreted the ban of t-shirts to mean t-shirts with pictures on them, or the kind of work out in. I have been known wear a nice cotton knit top in the evening if I'm feeling particularly casual. But it's easier for women to pull this off.

I've pulled it off, too. My one rebellious gesture is to wear a nice burgundy knit Tee under a sport coat. The dress police are satisfied with the collar on the jacket, and I get satisfaction from knowing that I'm surreptiously breaking the code :p;).

I still do not feel that you can compare dining in a restaurant -- no matter how upscale, with dining on a ship and I'm not putting down restaurants. Actually, it is almost impossible for a cruise ship to obtain the fresh ingredients that a restaurant can on a daily basis and restaurants do a much better job of preparing lobster and other seafood that is best when fresh (although Regent does get fresh fish on board in some ports).

Sailing on Regent is an experience -- not akin to going out to dinner. In fact, Regent's advertisements used to state "The Regence Experience" rather than "It's All Included". I still prefer thinking of it as an experience. You are served by crew who are professional while incredibly warm and friendly. You see them in the morning at breakfast, then at one of the dining venues in the evening. They, too, change into their dinner uniforms. It feels like a family at sea. After a day in port or at sea, most of us look forward to a shower and getting dressed for dinner. I have never heard anyone sound upset that it was time to change to our evening wear.

This all sounds like a bigger issue than it is once you are onboard. You do see all types of dress at dinner. From slacks and Tommy Bahama silk shirts to a suit and tie (sometimes a tux). Women wear dresses, pants with sparkley tops or with plain blouses, long skirts, etc. Even young couples on board dress beautifully -- different than the older generation but lovely nevertheless.

Do you remember going to the airport dressed to the 9’s? I do. Look at the airport today. It’s like bus stations (although I do remember going to the bus station dressed properly).

When I cruise, I enjoy seeing how everyone cleans up for the evening. It creates such a nice atmosphere. How sad it is to see how the world has changed.

Do you remember going to the airport dressed to the 9’s? I do. Look at the airport today. It’s like bus stations (although I do remember going to the bus station dressed properly).

When I cruise, I enjoy seeing how everyone cleans up for the evening. It creates such a nice atmosphere. How sad it is to see how the world has changed.

Nice memories!!

Don - You are quite correct in stating that guayabera shirts are considered as formal wear in many cultures. Particularly if they are in fine fabrics, such as linen, they are appropriate in those cultures for glorious occasions, such as weddings. I have a collection of guayabera linen shirts along with my TB shirts, which seems to be a perfect wardrobe for Regent.

I wasn't implying that you weren't dressed appropriately when you go out to dinner and I am sorry if that it is how it came across! I was just suggesting that you might feel otherwise once you've been on board.

I realize that is not what you were saying. :) I do enjoy dressing up with others are as well, but I could easily feel just as comfortable in a nice jeans outfit in that same group because it's more about how you carry yourself and behave than the clothing. I don't change my level of formal or informalness based on what I'm wearing.

When my husband and I got married I posted on the party invitations (we didn't have a real wedding) that while we were going to be dressed in semi-formal attire that they were welcome to come as dressed up or down as they wished. Whatever someone is comfortable in is what is most important to us and if they are going to be comfortable in jeans with a part that is dressed up, then go for it! Some people hate wearing dress clothes and it makes them feel like someone they aren't.

I agree, it's too bad the world has changed.

I agree, it's too bad the world has changed.

Sadly, many people do not even put on their "Sunday best" anymore to go to religious services. :( Although the world has changed, I refuse to lower my standards when it comes to my dress and grooming. Just a rare soapbox moment from me. :cool:

Guayabera shirts are considered formal wear in many cultures. I think they're elegant. I would be amazed if anyone had an exception to someone wearing one!

shortsleevecottonmexicanweddingshirtwhite1.gif

I agree, noting that the pants should also be white or very light-colored (not standard khaki), with matching white or very light shoes.

A guayabera shirt paired with dark pants doesn't meet the formal criteria, though I personally don't care one way or the other how it is paired.

I agree, noting that the pants should also be white or very light-colored (not standard khaki), with matching white or very light shoes.

A guayabera shirt paired with dark pants doesn't meet the formal criteria, though I personally don't care one way or the other how it is paired.

Can "cargo pants" be worn with this? LOL:eek::D:D:eek:

Can "cargo pants" be worn with this? LOL:eek::D:D:eek:

Cargo pants :eek: would destroy the lines of the outfit. I normally pair my dogwood pink Guayabera with a pair of stone colored linen slacks and sandals but for the dining room (after 6:00 PM), I would wear a stone colored casual shoe.

Cargo pants and cargo shorts are great during the day. They're handy for cell phones, pocket cameras and spare batteries, reading glasses, etc. But, I would not wear them to dinner anywhere outside of Okeechobee.

However, I've actually had a hard time finding dress shorts in our local stores -- I've taken to ordering them from TravelSmith or LL Bean. Dressy slacks are no problem, although I prefer non-pleated, and they're a kittle harder to find (the pleated trousers don't hang well on me),

I wish I was lean enough for a Guayabera -- I've got about 15 pounds to go. But on my pot belly, talk about ruining the lines...:rolleyes:

Cargo pants and cargo shorts are great during the day. They're handy for cell phones, pocket cameras and spare batteries, reading glasses, etc. But, I would not wear them to dinner anywhere outside of Okeechobee.

However, I've actually had a hard time finding dress shorts in our local stores -- I've taken to ordering them from TravelSmith or LL Bean. Dressy slacks are no problem, although I prefer non-pleated, and they're a kittle harder to find (the pleated trousers don't hang well on me),

I wish I was lean enough for a Guayabera -- I've got about 15 pounds to go. But on my pot belly, talk about ruining the lines...:rolleyes:

Why do you need dress shorts? If you say to wear on Regent or Oceania for dinner I might become ill:confused:

When your memories exceed your dreams, I fear life is over.

I love this thread. I like people regardless of how they are dressed. In Sun Valley I had finished playing golf and walked past Bill Gates and Warren Buffet and yes it was golf, but they looked and dressed like normal people. I think in the evening they probably dressed in a similar fashion. I know, just because you have money doesn't mean you have style.

Thought for today- Relax and love all, serve all

Aloha and mahalo

Nice memories!!

[

Try the Tommy Bahama Store in Naples-- Great selection! Lovely silk shorts as well as cotton.

Why do you need dress shorts? If you say to wear on Regent or Oceania for dinner I might become ill:confused:

I have your cure, then, because I need "dress shorts" for just about any social event, short of a wedding or funeral, in Florida. I wouldn't wear cargo shorts to a cocktail party, but if I showed up in dress slacks, foks would wonder what I was trying to hide...:p;)

Archived