Jeans in Sette Mari & Lounges - What do you think?

I do have a hard time with the notion that the majority of Regent passengers would really care if Regent relaxed the evening dress code a bit. How does anyone know this for sure?

So far, there have been people wanting no change and people willing to see change even here on this thread. In reality the only opinion that counts is that of management and that is driven by the bottom line.

Sounds like management has at least thought about a more relaxed dinning venue..for sure, there are casual evening venues on the mass market ships. The people who spend the money for suites on the mass market ships are the ones Regent is openly maketing to..Mark flat out said this in a public meeting on our cruise.

Isn't it a bit of an old fashion class system to have only one lounge and one dinning room for those who wish to be casual that evening. I can see the speciality dinning options having a more dressy code than say the Veranda or a Grill or even the MDR for that matter, but to segregate the lounges...really???

Not sure when you were here on the Regent board when Regent had a vote on dress code (3 - 3 1/2 years ago?). As I recall, about 1/3 of the passengers wanted to keep the formal nights. So, if you add that 33% to the approximately 50% who wanted Elegant Casual, it is likely that the majority would not vote for jeans, shorts and cargo pants. That is really all we have to base it on.

I LOVE the fact that you brought up the "class system". I harped on that subject for months. There was such an uproar from Regent customers that the Concierge program (which can be defined as a class system") was modified before it was put into place in April, 2012. Regent's parent company wanted Regent to adopt the Concerge program currently in place on Oceania whereby people in lower cabins (cheaper cabins -- whatever you wish to call them) had to wait to board until upper/expensive cabin passengers had boarded. That is still on Oceania but was not adopted by Regent. I think you know about the other things that were proposed but not adopted.

Based on what was going to be put in place, I really do not see having a casual dining venue as being a class system. Anyone -- regardless of whether they are in a Master Suite or Category "H" suite can go into anywhere on the ship if they are dressed according to the Elegant Casual dress code. If you prefer to dine in shorts and jeans, you go to the one lounge/restaurant. To my knowledge, this option is not offered on Seabourn, Crystal or Silversea. They do have a more casual restaurant but you not even think of wearing jeans or shorts there.

Anyway, it was just an idea. In a vote, it would stand a better chance of winning than going anything goes after 6:00 p.m. JMHO

TC..I basicly agree with what you said. But did Regent make that decision based solely on a vote on the CC board or did they also use current passenger surveis? The Regent passengers' reaction to the 2011 propossed changes caused some of the ideas to be modified. There were several heated small group meetings on our cruise with Mark last year. We went to one! However, we still have some passengers able to book things before others. Though they also grandfathered those of us Silver and above even though we are in the lower priced suites.

I don't really have problem with a reasonable dress code for a dinning room, I am no fan of shorts in the evening on grown men or swim wear any time of day in the dinning rooms! This is also the norm in most eating places anywhere, on land and on the sea.

I do have a problem with the a dress code for the run of the ship....lounges, and other areas being more rigid than the least dressy dinning room. That harkens back to a "class system" the old ocean liners had. It is totally at odds the all inclussive idea of Regent.

I do have a real problem with the idea that jeans or cargo pants:eek: in the evening adversely affects the Regent experience....people really pay that much attention to what another person has covered their legs with?

WOW, we must be really out of step with every one else. DH and I are usually enjoying ourselves way too much to notice what someone has on. Though DH has been known to stare a bit at a barely clad good looking young woman or at least until I noticed:D.

As far as other luxury lines, it has been way to long to remember about Silver Seas, Crystal has never appealed at all, and on Seabourn, most nights a jacket was required in the dinning room, if the man didn't wear one, the waiter placed one on the back of the chair...our personal expericence on two longer cruises. In the lounges, DH regularly went for before dinner drinks minus a jacket, he then picked up his jacket on the way to the dinning room. This was before the dress code was relaxed so we shall see in a few weeks what it like now. From what I have read there hasn't been much change.

Differing degrees of dressiness for the dinning rooms is fine, but to carry over to the lounges and restrict them also is going way overboard, IMO. It is my exprience after many years on lots of different ships that the lounges get a feel of their own and people relax in the one they feel most comfortable. A dress code by degrees is not needed.

"I might vote for a place with jeans and the short pants that only seem to make women look fat and squat (JMHO), but I would not dine there."

Just wondering how you escape it during the day:)

Again, people can wear whatever the heck they want during the day. If it is a sea day, they could be at the "Country Fair" throwing "pies" at the crew or being thrown in the pool if you happen to be crossing the equator. I would wear jeans during the day if they wern't so darn hot. We tend to wear cotton clothing during the day and could care less what people wear. If someone wants to "pop" into La Veranda in their bathrobe, so be it. I believe that the only requirement during the day is that the passenger wear a cover-up over their swimsuits when going to La Veranda or Compass Rose.

At night, however, we are expecting the luxury cruise experience. The servers and officers are dressed quite formally -- the service is impeccable and food is presented in such a beautiful, artistic way. I remember speaking with officers after the dress code went from "Formal", "Informal" and "Country Club Casual" to "Elegant Casual". They were not happy about the downgrade in the dress code as they felt it was a poor reflection upon Regent.

Again, and I know I am being repetitive, how difficult is it to wear slacks and a shirt with a collar in the evening? Why does someone insist on wanting the Regent dress code to slide down to that of McDonald's? Even when I suggest an alternative that would allow people to dress the way they want, they are not happy. It is all or nothing? Perhaps the "X" generation and the end of the Baby Boomer generation is as selfish as has been reported. They expect everything to change for them. Just saying...............

Guess it is a good thing the Regent management listen to the wishes of the paying customers more than the paid staff in setting a dress code for Regent.

I am definitely not from "Generation X" or even the "Baby Boomer Generation". Am I being selfish since I see nothing wrong with allowing jeans around the ship in the evening and in at least some of the dinning venues or are those who refuse to consider change selfish? Interesting thought.

I see jeans and nice shirts or fancy tops in the fine dinning places in Houston and other major cities. These places are definitely many steps above McDonalds in food and service.

My most recent cruise on another line just reaffirms my opinion that the dress code (passenger dress) does not determine the quality or artistry of the food arrangement nor the level of service provided by the dinning staff. All of which were really good to excellent last week.

There seems to be on going reports that Regent dinning staff really need to work toward consistently good service in the CR regardless of what the passengers are wearing to dinner. In 2011 in my report, I commented on my disappointment with the poor service we received at times in CR.

Guess we need to agree to disagree. After 20+ years of international travel, we discovered luxury cruising. Unlike you, we cannot switch between HAL, Carnival and luxury cruising and be happy. If someone were to ask us 10 years ago if we would feel the way we do about Regent, dressing for dinner and luxury cruising in general, we would have disagreed with them. No one can really predict how they will view things in the future. My guessitimate is that the older baby boomers (50 - 66) will continue to dominate the luxury cruise industry for the next 10-20 years. Regent and other lux lines are preparing for this. But, they would be stupid to cut off their nose to spite their face (so to speak) by alienating their customer base too early. I believe they realize this.

I still have an unanswered question. Since the inception of the Elegant Dress code, has anyone -- even one poster complained about Regent's dress code on CruiseCritic? While I do not claim to read every post, I cannot recall any complaints (until this past week). So, once again, this appears to be much ado about nothing.

Snackdaddy,

Only if the ship is in Bermuda!!!

Hi wripro,

Does this mean that if my wife wants to wear her stunning Indian sari, the ship must be anchored in India? Or if we want to wear colorful traditional African attire, we must be anchored in Africa?

Quote TC...Guess we need to agree to disagree. After 20+ years of international travel, we discovered luxury cruising. Unlike you, we cannot switch between HAL, Carnival and luxury cruising and be happy.

TC, We have been traveling internationally since the early 80's..both land trips and cruises. Our very first cruise, 28 years ago, happened to be the Med and Black Sea on a "luxury line" now that was pure luxury! Nothing in todays market compares. However, I am not sure what difference travel history makes to this topic, but have you ever done any longer cruises in a top suite on say HAL or Princess? If not how can you say there is a great deal of difference and that is not luxury also.

HAL and Princess offer just as much "luxury" if luxury is defined as ... eating when and with whom you want, the quality of the service received and the food and ship size...not all the Mass Market ships are 2000+ passengers, some carry less passengers than the Mariner.

Carnival doesn't really compare to Princess or HAL, even in the top suites which the girls and I had, but I am always so surprised by how good their services really are and especially if cruising with children.

Not having to sign a ticket for a drink and the size of the less expensive cabins is the only real difference in Regent and Seabourn and the other ships we sail. Tipping is either added to the cost of the cruise (Regent/Seabourn model) or included in the ship account (paid for by OBC from our TA). But not signing for your bar drinks or glass of wine may be some people's definition of luxury. Even on Regent if you use the spa or have a special bottle of wine you have a ticket to sign/pay.

On the longer HAL and Princess cruises, all the passengers are every much like the poeple who sail with Seabourn and Regent... "mature" and fun to be with. They are hard working and lucky to be able to take 3, 4 or 5 weeks off at a time or have worked hard all their lives and are now retired, like us.

Quote TC...If someone were to ask us 10 years ago if we would feel the way we do about Regent, dressing for dinner and luxury cruising in general, we would have disagreed with them. No one can really predict how they will view things in the future. My guessitimate is that the older baby boomers (50 - 66) will continue to dominate the luxury cruise industry for the next 10-20 years. Regent and other lux lines are preparing for this. But, they would be stupid to cut off their nose to spite their face (so to speak) by alienating their customer base too early. I believe they realize this.

TC, I agree with you on this, things change...nothing stays the same. I just don't think having a casual dress evening alternative is "stupid" nor should/would it alienate Regents customer base. The customer base can always avoid the evening's casual spots just like they now avoid the suites affected by the vibration and the noise from the gym or pool deck.

Quote TC...I still have an unanswered question. Since the inception of the Elegant Dress code, has anyone -- even one poster complained about Regent's dress code on CruiseCritic? While I do not claim to read every post, I cannot recall any complaints (until this past week). So, once again, this appears to be much ado about nothing.

You ask the "changing the dress code" question in the first place, I guess in response to Mark"s statement, posted on another thread. I am not complaining about the code nor do I feel others are either. We are just responding to your question, saying, why not have some more relaxed evening venues? It may be an idea whose time has come.

Okay - I tried staying away from CC for 24 hours but I think I only made it to the 14-hour mark. It's just too much fun!

TravelCat2 said, "Perhaps the "X" generation and the end of the Baby Boomer generation is as selfish as has been reported. They expect everything to change for them. Just saying"

TC - Please say it "ain't so"! Please tell me that this is not some subtle yet isidious form of "Boomer-Bashing" on your part that's creeping into this thread :). I will fight to the end to hold my crown as "chief Basher" on this site and I do not appreciate the competition, however friendly or well-intentioned it might be!

On a cheerier note - we just received our travel documents yesterday afternoon from Regent for our upcoming 22 Aug trip on Navigator. So far - so good. Everything was in order. The "excitement factor" is now shifting into 2nd gear! I'm starting to plan my clothes packing and I can assure you that I will NOT be wearing jeans in Sette Mari after 6PM..."No Siree....No Jeans For Me, in Sette Mari."

((That's for Mr. Opington's benefit, so I can't be harranged for going "off-topic" on this thread :rolleyes:)) Regards to all....

((That's for Mr. Opington's benefit, so I can't be harranged for going "off-topic" on this thread :rolleyes:))

First you accuse me of being one of the "Regent Police" and now suggest I might "harrange" you for going off topic. Have you a persecution complex?

TravelCat2 said, "Perhaps the "X" generation and the end of the Baby Boomer generation is as selfish as has been reported. They expect everything to change for them. Just saying"

If that quote is accurate (it wasn't linked to the post and I clearly missed it)... all I have to say is wow. We are selfish because we ask for change, but yet those that don't want change are not selfish for insisting everything stay the way they want it. It's a double edged sword there. It is just as selfish to insist that things stay the way they always were as it is to demand changes. I really hope that was misquoted... as up until this point I really respected TCs posts.

If that quote is accurate (it wasn't linked to the post and I clearly missed it)... all I have to say is wow. We are selfish because we ask for change, but yet those that don't want change are not selfish for insisting everything stay the way they want it. It's a double edged sword there. It is just as selfish to insist that things stay the way they always were as it is to demand changes. I really hope that was misquoted... as up until this point I really respected TCs posts.

sherilyn70 You've hit the nail squarely on the head with your analysis. Some people fail to understand that what they say about others is exactly the same as how they act. That is fairly obvious by some of the messages posted by some posters on this board. Also some appear to have multiple personalities and one never knows which personality is posting, the reasonable or unreasonable one??

Those are wise words, sherilyn.

Well said travelcat2! I agree totally.

Me too! That is an interesting observation about "that generation" expecting things to change for them. I'm glad you said the END of the baby boomers. Actually, we are looked down upon by the following generation!

We expected Regent passengers to be more well dressed, to go along with being able to afford this type of cruise. Where I live, people with money look like people with money, for the most part. I think I would put forth a little more effort , if going to a Country Club. To me, the passengers didn't look any different than passengers on Celebrity or HAL, where jeans (on HAL) ARE allowed.

That being said, "the times, they are a changin". I don't think we can fight it. I was upset when jeans were allowed on HAL. Now, I just don't care--doesn't matter to me what others wear, as long as I'm appropriate.

Sometimes the written word can be easily taken more than one way. In an earlier post I was coming up with ideas on how to make everyone comfortable -- including a dining venue/lounge where those of you who enjoy more casual dress could dine. Someone came back with a response that sounded like if the entire ship does not accept jeans, etc. it would make it a "class system". It was the all or nothing statement that probably prompted the comment. Sorry if it was offensive. Actually, the selfish group is clearly the Baby Boomers who have had the world change for us so many times (and it continues to do so). We are a large percent of the population that we can be difficult to accommodate at times (don't want to be political, but look at how scared everyone is about the Baby Boomers draining Social Security -- and, only a tiny percent of the population has reached retirement age).

Back to the topic -- my suggestions were meant to be flexible to enable all passengers on Regent to be accommodated. And, yes -- people of all generations can be selfish -- just depends upon the person.:)

pingpong: Great news that you received your travel documents. That is always a special day. And, don't worry, you can retain the title of "Chief Basher":-)

Again, people can wear whatever the heck they want during the day......(part cut for space)......Again, and I know I am being repetitive, how difficult is it to wear slacks and a shirt with a collar in the evening? Why does someone insist on wanting the Regent dress code to slide down to that of McDonald's? Even when I suggest an alternative that would allow people to dress the way they want, they are not happy. It is all or nothing? Perhaps the "X" generation and the end of the Baby Boomer generation is as selfish as has been reported. They expect everything to change for them. Just saying...............[/quote]

sherilyn....Here is most of the quote in question. Your post is right on and much better stated than my long winded reply. I don't know how much the different generations really play into this. I think people of all ages like to dress for dinner in what is comfortable for them and if they are paying the big $$$ there should be some effort to allow this.

What's so funny about all these many posts for and against is that TC asked the question in the first place.

Guess my comment if jeans were allowed in one dinning venue in the evening, they should also be allowed in the public areas like the lounges, otherwise setting aside one dinner venue and also one lounge for jeans wearers was getting close to a class system that TC clearly was concerned about in a imfamous change Regent made last year.

I actually have no problem with different dress codes for diifferent dinning rooms, but to segregate the lounges is going to far IMO. Guess that people dressed in jeans for the evening so ruin ones evening that one not only can't enjoy his dinner with jeans present, but he can't enjoy a cocktail either.

OH well, I have stated my feelings about the dress code, but whatever it is, I will continue enjoying my cruises, jeans or not jeans. Happy sailing everyone.:)

Sometimes the written word can be easily taken more than one way.

Yes it can, and I realized without the entire context on that one someone could clearly be turning your words into something unintended... which is why I did not assume it to be accurate. :) Thank you for explaining where that came from. Your explaination makes a lot of sense.

cwn: Yes -- my original question was "What do you think? Are jeans and shorts appropriate on Regent when dining in CR, P-7, Signatures and Sette Mari in the evening? "

While I expected to get all sorts of responses as to whether jeans are shorts are "appropriate", a surpisingly high number of responses came across as complaints about the Elegant Casual dress code. Several people felt it should be changed. As many threads do, the subject changed a bit. Since I have never read a negative comment about the current dress code (and wasn't asking if people disliked the current dress code) I wanted to understand why so many people felt the way they apparently do and never said anything.

Still not sure what is so wrong with having a lounge where people can wear jeans and keeping the dress code in other lounges. Currently there is a lounge on each ship that allows smoking and you can't smoke in any other lounge. It's not like I suggested that people in jeans go into the basement:eek:

I'm back. This is one of those- why waste my time, but here goes. I am still enjoying this thread (ya make me laugh), but I fear some people are just taking life too seriously. Some of ya need to laugh a lot more, I mean a LOT more. Hey- none of us are going to get out of this alive, so why not laugh and enjoy a lot more?

I hope some on you are on my next fun Regent event. It is Mariner BA to Rio leaving 12-6-12. I look forward to meeting ya and I can guarantee ya if ya meet me, we will laugh a lot. Just look for the guy in stilettos and nylons- joke joke just kidding! Parting thought- "LOVE ALL, SERVE ALL!!!"

Aloha and Mahalo

SnackDaddy,

No, because a sari and African garb comply with the dress code after 6. Shorts do not.

Does anyone else see the circle this thread has become. The discussion goes round and round and comes to no end with no conclusion.

SnackDaddy,

No, because a sari and African garb comply with the dress code after 6. Shorts do not.

Does anyone else see the circle this thread has become. The discussion goes round and round and comes to no end with no conclusion.

Thanks for your response.

Archived