Jeans in Sette Mari & Lounges - What do you think?

I have your cure, then, because I need "dress shorts" for just about any social event, short of a wedding or funeral, in Florida. I wouldn't wear cargo shorts to a cocktail party, but if I showed up in dress slacks, foks would wonder what I was trying to hide...:p;)

I'm betting that in Florida, knee socks aren't de rigueur with nice shorts, right?

I dress for myself--no one else. Last Sept., on Prinsendam (HAL's premier ship), I wore a dress to dinner every night. On Regent, the only time DH did NOT wear a blazer was when we dined in La Veraranda. I wear dresses to church on Sunday, but dress casually for afternoon services. I am glad to have the opportunity to wear dresses to the theater, and dressy dresses to the Opera. I just happen to love clothes and dressing up. I too miss the "old" days of dressing for travel. I still remember what I wore for my first plane trip at age 13!!

As far as what others are comfortable wearing, I really don't notice or care . Well, I may notice---but I generally judge the entire package. We observed a few drunken slobs going in and out of the smoking lounge on Navigator. They looked like they belonged on Carnival!

I don't know if links to blogging sites are allowed but check out this one out for outfits that could fit some peoples' definition of acceptable wear. (I was trying to find a photograph of a wedding party we saw in Toronto last year who wore tuxes with formal shirts, shorts and bow ties.)

http://www.thestyleblogger.com/5222/high-riskhigh-reward-jackets-shorts/

I don't know if links to blogging sites are allowed but check out this one out for outfits that could fit some peoples' definition of acceptable wear. (I was trying to find a photograph of a wedding party we saw in Toronto last year who wore tuxes with formal shirts, shorts and bow ties.)

Hi mariners,

Perhaps if I were 20 pounds lighter and lost this keg surrounding my six pack :D but would the Bermuda Shorts, with a blazer look, be acceptable on Regent after 6:00 PM?

White Hockey Socks would be appropriate with this look?:eek::rolleyes::eek:

Aloha,

Having read this entire thread, I have to say that there are some very amusing posts here, but underlying some of the humor seems to be a real members only attitude. If I were to have read all of these posts prior to booking our upcoming cruise, our first on Regent, I might have chosen to look elsewhere.

I understand that those who post online represent a very limited percentage of actual Regent passengers, so I assume (hope) that much of what is posted here reflects a narrow view of the Regent experience.

My wife and I lived abroad for many years (4 different countries); thus, we are used to international travel, and we now operate two very busy businesses--we work, literally, 365 days a year for the most part, so when I booked with Regent, I was hoping to find an interesting itinerary with a relaxing, pleasant low key experience on the ship.

I know that this is off topic from the dress code OP, but the tenor that this discussion has reached at points seems to me to imply a very deep divide between card carrying members of the Regent Club and everyone else.

I just hope that this attitude is not prevalent aboard the ship during our cruise. We really want to enjoy the Med and relax, not feel as if we are the barely-invited guests to a party at very small, exclusive country club.

I do not post this to offend anyone in any way, just an honest reaction from an outsider. I am sure that we will have a great time in Italy, and we are certainly not people who look for things to complain about, in fact, we are on the other end of the spectrum.

Also, mahalo to all who post with great information on CC. We look forward to forming our own impressions of Regent.

Aloha to all,

Mark

Snackdaddy, You could also wear them on evenings where they have the deck dinner/party and would join many others wearing shorts (but not short shorts when we've been onboard). Usually, they are worn with casual shirts and not jackets, but, in all honesty, I've never really noticed.

Although we enjoy dressing for dinner, I've always thought that it would be nice to have a venue where people could be more casually dressed or, in warmer climates, have dinner on the deck as an option. Last year, on Seabourn, we had a couple who ate their dinner at the Patio Grill on most, if not all, nights. Some of those nights, she wore short shorts and a tank top. It had absolutely no impact upon my dining experience or how I chose to dress. The more options that are offered, the more people who have different tastes/beliefs/etc. can be accommodated. However, my biggest concerns onboard have always been about peoples' actions and attitudes not what they wear.

Mark, I just read your post. You'll have a great time. I've never been part of any "club" and have loved every Regent cruise I have taken.

Mark: Sorry that this thread is coming across the way it is. The onboard experience is completely different. I understand how passengers new to Regent could get the wrong idea. I was on the Silversea board this week when some posters were putting down people who did not wear tuxedos or designer suits at dinner. I felt the same way as you probably do. I even posted that I would not want to sail on Silversea based on that thread. However, having sailed on both cruise lines, it is easier for me to understand that many of us would like to keep the "Elegant Casual" feeling on Regent (or in the case of Silversea, the "Formal" dress code). And, once aboard either cruise line, people are not at all the way they seemed on threads regarding difficult subjects. Unless or until a dress code is changed, it it best to follow the dress code stated by the cruise line (IMHO)

Mariners: I would love for the Pool Grill to be open in the evening (weather permitting) and would almost expect people to be dressed in casual attire (jeans, shorts, cargo pants, etc. -- just like they do during the day). However, out of respect for the dress code in the lounges and indoor restaurants, this ultra casual dress would work only at the Pool Grill and Pool Bar (again IMHO).

Mark: Sorry that this thread is coming across the way it is. The onboard experience is completely different. I understand how passengers new to Regent could get the wrong idea. I was on the Silversea board this week when some posters were putting down people who did not wear tuxedos or designer suits at dinner. I felt the same way as you probably do. I even posted that I would not want to sail on Silversea based on that thread. However, having sailed on both cruise lines, it is easier for me to understand that many of us would like to keep the "Elegant Casual" feel in Regent (or in the case of Silversea, the "Formal" dress code). And, once aboard either cruise line, people are not at all the way they seemed on threads regarding difficult subjects. Unless or until a dress code is changed, it it best to follow the dress code stated by the cruise line (IMHO)

Mariners: I would love for the Pool Grill to be open in the evening (weather permitting) and would almost expect people to be dressed in casual attire (jeans, shorts, cargo pants, etc. -- just like they do during the day). However, out of respect for the dress code in the lounges and indoor restaurants, this ultra casual dress would work only at the Pool Grill and Pool Bar (again IMHO).

Cargo Shorts and pants would also work at the Patio Grill!:eek::D:eek:

Cargo Shorts and pants would also work at the Patio Grill!:eek::D:eek:

LOL! Maybe they could put a "Pool Grill" in the swimming pool at night:confused:

Interestingly (or not) the outdoor dining venue on Silversea (Hot Rocks) still does not permit shorts, etc. (or at least it did not when we were on the Silver Spirit).

Me thinks that there are too many of us with little to do this lovely Sunday afternoon:-)

Snackdaddy, You could also wear them on evenings where they have the deck dinner/party and would join many others wearing shorts (but not short shorts when we've been onboard). Usually, they are worn with casual shirts and not jackets, but, in all honesty, I've never really noticed.

Although we enjoy dressing for dinner, I've always thought that it would be nice to have a venue where people could be more casually dressed or, in warmer climates, have dinner on the deck as an option. Last year, on Seabourn, we had a couple who ate their dinner at the Patio Grill on most, if not all, nights. Some of those nights, she wore short shorts and a tank top. It had absolutely no impact upon my dining experience or how I chose to dress. The more options that are offered, the more people who have different tastes/beliefs/etc. can be accommodated. However, my biggest concerns onboard have always been about peoples' actions and attitudes not what they wear.

Mark, I just read your post. You'll have a great time. I've never been part of any "club" and have loved every Regent cruise I have taken.

Hi mariners,

Thanks for the clarification and I hear you about your concerns "about people's actions and attitudes..."

Be well.

IMHO, Regent passengers (the far majority) are EXTREMELY down to earth. During our 11 days in the Caribbean, we ran across only one person who acted superior. The rest didn't look or act any different than we did! They were a very friendly group! My attitude was, if they have the money to sail on Regent, I really didn't care what they wore!

Aloha from another Kamaaina,

I hope you read my post a ways back. You are right on but don't worry. After 50 days on Regent, I have found this forum to NOT be indicative of the Regent experience. I also like the relaxed atmosphere. I can't remember how to tie a tie. There is a lot of good info on this forum and there is some very entertaining posts that do go on. You will find a lot of Aloha Spirit (code between us Kamaaina's and they won't know what we are talking about) once you get on Board and off the Forum's. As you well know, the problem with communicating via the internet, people will make comments on the internet that they would never make face to face. Nice people sometimes come off as very rude, etc. I have met some posters that were totally different from the internet persona.

Don't worry and be happy!! It seems that a lot of people on this earth are not able to do this. That being said, I REALLY enjoy some of the posts and find them really entertaining.

Aloha,

Maui Al

I'll probably get kicked off this forum or my post will be deleted by the Mods. I hope you read fast.

Aloha,

Having read this entire thread, I have to say that there are some very amusing posts here, but underlying some of the humor seems to be a real members only attitude. If I were to have read all of these posts prior to booking our upcoming cruise, our first on Regent, I might have chosen to look elsewhere.

I understand that those who post online represent a very limited percentage of actual Regent passengers, so I assume (hope) that much of what is posted here reflects a narrow view of the Regent experience.

My wife and I lived abroad for many years (4 different countries); thus, we are used to international travel, and we now operate two very busy businesses--we work, literally, 365 days a year for the most part, so when I booked with Regent, I was hoping to find an interesting itinerary with a relaxing, pleasant low key experience on the ship.

I know that this is off topic from the dress code OP, but the tenor that this discussion has reached at points seems to me to imply a very deep divide between card carrying members of the Regent Club and everyone else.

I just hope that this attitude is not prevalent aboard the ship during our cruise. We really want to enjoy the Med and relax, not feel as if we are the barely-invited guests to a party at very small, exclusive country club.

I do not post this to offend anyone in any way, just an honest reaction from an outsider. I am sure that we will have a great time in Italy, and we are certainly not people who look for things to complain about, in fact, we are on the other end of the spectrum.

Also, mahalo to all who post with great information on CC. We look forward to forming our own impressions of Regent.

Aloha to all,

Mark

lapeter: There is no reason whatsoever that you would have your post deleted from this thread. You gave an opinion and I agree that things are very different once you are on the ship. Also agree that posters are nothing like I would expect when you meet them on board. The question I'm asked most frequently is how I can put up how angry some posters can get. I laugh and tell them how I could care less about it. Then we typically hug and laugh about it. Some people take themselves (and others) way too seriously. IMO, the most important part of CruiseCritic is imparting information to newbies -- even if your views differ from others or your onboard experience differs.

One of the best threads I have ever read was by SeabournTraveller (prefer to call him "ST" because I have difficultly spelling/misspelling part of his name). He was on a luxury ship with someone in a nearby suite smoking marijuana and playing loud music. There was also something about a naked grandpa. While none of us may have this experience, he did and shared it and it was quite enjoyable.

Getting back to the subject of the thread, passengers on Regent do follow the dress code. There are a few who challenge it -- some are asked to change and some manage to not be noticed by staff. There hasn't been a dress code thread of any substance in a long time. If Mark Conroy hadn't said what he did, there would not have been any reason to start this thread.

It's all good.:)

Getting back to the subject of the thread, passengers on Regent do follow the dress code. There are a few who challenge it -- some are asked to change and some manage to not be noticed by staff. There hasn't been a dress code thread of any substance in a long time. If Mark Conroy hadn't said what he did, there would not have been any reason to start this thread.

I can see that completely. This thread is just a discussion about opinions and change and not a rebellion or protest.

I think that most people could or would consider Regent for a cruise have a firm understanding that there are rules that we are expected as civilized people to follow. Unless you are some spoiled rich kid you most likely have worked your way up in the world and understand there are just things that you're expected to do if you want to get anywhere. This is not the type of cruise someone who just started out working would normally take. But as the crowd ages/generations do start to shift into generation x some things might start to change in atmosphere and dress code as well... just little changes over time but change non the less.

Thanks for your comments and surprise to me- my post is still there- YEA!!! TC2- We must have gone to different schools together.

Aloha,

Al

lapeter: There is no reason whatsoever that you would have your post deleted from this thread. You gave an opinion and I agree that things are very different once you are on the ship. Also agree that posters are nothing like I would expect when you meet them on board. The question I'm asked most frequently is how I can put up how angry some posters can get. I laugh and tell them how I could care less about it. Then we typically hug and laugh about it. Some people take themselves (and others) way too seriously. IMO, the most important part of CruiseCritic is imparting information to newbies -- even if your views differ from others or your onboard experience differs.

One of the best threads I have ever read was by SeabournTraveller (prefer to call him "ST" because I have difficultly spelling/misspelling part of his name). He was on a luxury ship with someone in a nearby suite smoking marijuana and playing loud music. There was also something about a naked grandpa. While none of us may have this experience, he did and shared it and it was quite enjoyable.

It's all good.:)

Well, I think that I was the catalyst of this topic from a post I made in another thread.

Yes, I was the one who mentioned that jeans were now allowed in Sette Mari and that I also saw them in the Observation Lounge. I was also the one who questioned why women were allowed to wear fancy shorts and men are not (I am not looking to start and argument about shorts).

So, much to the contrary of the majority of posts in this thread, I think that nice jeans should be allowed. Fashion is never finished and it is continuously evolving. Jeans today are not the same as the Wranglers of the 70's and 80's. Where I live, and in many of the cities that I travel to, it is perfectly acceptable to wear a nice pair of jeans to nice, high end, restaurants. It is even acceptable to wear an untucked (gasp!) button down shirt (check the ones from designer Robert Graham, those are my personal favorites).

Also, to the user who said that they don't know of a single country club that allows jeans let me respond with this. Regent is not a country club and, second, there are plenty of very nice high end country clubs that do allow jeans (even in the dining room). I know this from personal experience.

I understand that I am the newbie on this message board, but I am not new to message boards in general. I understand that there is a high propensity for 'mob mentality' and that people jump on the band wagon more quickly than they would if the conversations were held face to face.

I think the most important thing here is that everyone is entitled to opinion, but it is just that, their opinion.

Finally, the number of nights that a person has sailed on Regent should not dictate the importance of their comments. I have taken a few Regent cruises, but am no expert on the line. However, I also know several people who have sailed over 250 nights on Regent and think that both of our comments have equal validity.

GNALUZU: Not disagreeing with your right to an opinion. However, the dress code has not as yet changed officially in Sette Mari or the Observation Lounge. Therefore, the fact that people were not asked to change is unusual and a bit disturbing. If people are the Voyager are held to the current dress code, it would seem that passengers on the Mariner and Navigator should as well.:confused:

GNALUZU: Not disagreeing with your right to an opinion. However, the dress code has not as yet changed officially in Sette Mari or the Observation Lounge. Therefore, the fact that people were not asked to change is unusual and a bit disturbing. If people are the Voyager are held to the current dress code, it would seem that passengers on the Mariner and Navigator should as well.:confused:

Cargo pants and shorts will solve everything!:eek::D:eek:

As a very witty person posted in another thread to my comment- My comment was "I love ladies in stilettos and nylons" and the, is think British gentlemen replied, "Oh my, stilettos and nylons, that would be a bit nippy."

I still laugh at his comment and now you have my take on dress codes- RELAX people and that's an order!!!

Archived