Jeans in Sette Mari & Lounges - What do you think?

A counter-argument to the majority "no" votes might be that restricting passengers to their cabins after 6:00 p.m. if they don't want to change out of their (comfortable, well-worn) jeans, is just too draconian, and that's the effect if you can't wear jeans in any public, indoor venue after 6:00. Having one venue with a more relaxed policy doesn't seem unreasonable.

Just for the record... I do were jeans with a nice top to higher end restaurants like Morimoto, Smith & Wolensky, Fogo de Chao, etc. They have never refused me service or treated me poorly. My husband usually wears jeans with a button down shirt.

After reading everyone’s comments I thought it through again. It brought to mind the vote taken approximately 3 years ago when the majority of Regent passengers were asking about changing the Dress Code from: “Formal”, “Informal”, “Country Club Casual” to “Elegant Casual”. I voted to go Elegant casual for many reasons that are not particularly relevant to this discussion. In those days, we did not question or challenge the dress code – remember, this was around 2009 – not 1970. If this thread were on Silversea or Seabourn, you would see how harsh posters can really be if you disagree with their current policy. If you don’t want to dress up (tux or black suit – not blue – not brown – black) don’t bother sailing on Silversea. Regent has the most relaxed dress code of the major luxury lines (Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal).

The current Dress Code was quoted on a couple of threads yesterday. Some underlined or set a few words in bold. There is nothing in the policy that demands that passengers follow the Dress Code. Regent treats their passengers as adults but this certainly does not mean you can dress as you like. As has been mentioned repeatedly, if you dress in jeans or shorts after 6:00 p.m., you will be asked to leave the lounge/restaurant. This rather mildly phrased policy is enforced. (Note: I doubt if anyone has a problem with late arriving passengers who have been on an excursion and dine in whatever attire they wore for the day). I also do not think anyone would throw you out if you wore shorts or jeans on the pool deck at any time of the day or night.

Also in this thread the comment was made about not being bothered if a couple of people in Compass Rose were wearing jeans. That is true. I really don’t pay much attention to other people. I wonder how long it would take for 50% of the people in Compass Rose to be wearing jeans? Would the discussion then go to what is the material?……. You can wear this brand but not that brand……..Better not have any holes……. Better not be faded – are purple jeans okay?, etc.

If it is okay to wears jeans or shorts in Sette Mari, does that mean you can’t go into the lounges before or after dinner because of the Dress Code? On the night of the Captain’s Reception, the majority of passengers tend to dress up a bit to meet the Captain and Officers in theater. Do people dining in Sette Mari go to the theater in shorts/jeans?

We all have choices of which cruise line we select. Some people will not sail on Seabourn because of the smoking policy …… others shy away from Silversea because of their very formal dress code…… some feel that Regent is too casual ….. many feel it is too expensive. We now know that our sister company, Oceania, permits jeans in their casual restaurant (similar to La Veranda/Sette Mari). That would be the obvious choice as some people find their new ships more luxurious than Regent and their food superior to Regent. The price for some staterooms is considerably less than Regent. They do not include excursions, however, with the price savings, they are easily affordable and you can now purchase the alcohol package. Instead of trying to change Regent, there is an option to look at other cruise lines.

...I wonder how long it would take for 50% of the people in Compass Rose to be wearing jeans?

Good question, Jackie. I can only go from my experience a couple of years ago on an NCL Jewel cruise from New York to Montreal and return. NCL allows jeans and shorts in all their restaurants except the more formal aft dining room (on Jewel it was the Tsar Dining Room) and Le Bistro, the top of their specialty restaurants, and even in those, jeans and tee-shirts are allowed.

So, do 50% of the passengers wear jeans? No, based on my observation, I'd say it was around 5%., and that was mostly college students. In fact, in the Tsar dining room, there were far more jackets than on Regent! Granted, this was a New England and Canadian cruise out of NYC in Spetember, not the Caribbean in July, but still, it was NCL with it's "free style" policies. NCL does have another main dining room amidship where shorts are permitted, but even there, it was mostly people dressed very nicely.

And, don't forget, the last time I sailed Carnival (on a family cruise in 2009), they still had formal nights!

So, if the code is relaxed along the lines of what President Conroy outlined, I seriously doubt if it would lead to a mass exodus to sloppiness or a "slippery slop" aboard Regent.

Good question, Jackie. I can only go from my experience a couple of years ago on an NCL Jewel cruise from New York to Montreal and return. NCL allows jeans and shorts in all their restaurants except the more formal aft dining room (on Jewel it was the Tsar Dining Room) and Le Bistro, the top of their specialty restaurants, and even in those, jeans and tee-shirts are allowed.

So, do 50% of the passengers wear jeans? No, based on my observation, I'd say it was around 5%., and that was mostly college students. In fact, in the Tsar dining room, there were far more jackets than on Regent! Granted, this was a New England and Canadian cruise out of NYC in Spetember, not the Caribbean in July, but still, it was NCL with it's "free style" policies. NCL does have another main dining room amidship where shorts are permitted, but even there, it was mostly people dressed very nicely.

And, don't forget, the last time I sailed Carnival (on a family cruise in 2009), they still had formal nights!

So, if the code is relaxed along the lines of what President Conroy outlined, I seriously doubt if it would lead to a mass exodus to sloppiness or a "slippery slop" aboard Regent.

On our recent back to back cruises in the Med., there was a high percentage of passengers that were new to Regent. The first night in the Observation Lounge there were quite a few (didn't count) passengers in jeans and flip-flops. It was the same the 2nd night when they started enforcing the dress code. From then on, I did not see jeans in the Observation Lounge. The exact same thing happened on the 2nd cruise.

IMO, cruise ships are different than restaurants in many ways. The slippery slope that people on the board refer to, IMO, is that when the initial "Elegant Casual" took effect, people were quite smartly dressed. Recently I have noticed passengers barely meeting the minimum required in the evening. What is concerning me more than anything is this verbal change in dress code that Mark Conroy seems to think makes sense. However, the dress code has not been changed. Once again, this comes down to communication (and the communication may want to address the issues of lounges, etc.)

Sherilyn (and others) - As I think you point out, "nice clothes" are perhaps in the eye of both the beholder AND the wearer. The "jeans" of today are not the "farmers' overalls" of 50 years ago. A week ago, I just put my 94-year old Dad into his very first pair of designer jeans. Upon looking at himself in the mirror in the fitting room, Dad's comment was, "Wow - I didn't realize these were so comfortable. And they don't look bad, either!"

If she would permit me, I guess I'd like to re-frame Travelcat's question (the OP) and maybe nudge it in the direction that perhaps Mr. Conroy might want to be heading. Would there be the same opposition (or agreement) if CR, P7, and Sig were to remain "Elegant Casual" after 6PM(and rather agressively enforced) as it is now, while letting SM and a few other lounges, open decks, a couple of watering holes, etc. on the ship slide to "casual attire" (shorts/jeans) after 6PM? Would this be a reasonable accomodation? Would most people feel that they had more reasonable and accomodating choices to select from?

Would most feel that Regent was still "Elegant" enough, while at the same time offering passengers more comfortable alternatives to the present "written policy"? To maintain their currently positive market position in the future, I believe Regent will have to begin appealing to a younger demographic going forward. Afterall, many younger people today have considerable resources themselves, and are looking for upscale experiences and venues to spend those resources on without feeling like they are sailing on the Cunard Line of the '50's with their grandparents. Some evenings, they might want to dine in CR in more formal attire while on other nights, they might prefer to dine on a plate of pasta while wearing jeans. Many folks want options today - while on the same ship. The younger folks (40's-50's) "slide" quite easily between "styles". Probably easier than their parents do. I wouldn't even be the least surprised if Mr. Conroy himself has a few pair of jeans in his closet and has probably eaten dinner in them a few times! :p

I realize that this is all hypothetical on our part since it's not "our company" and we don't have any authority to make or enforce policies. But if Regent actually reads these threads it might provide them with some beneficial input. Regards.

Personally, I live in shorts and jeans the vast majority of the time. And flip flops. However, cruising, especially on a luxury line, is a deviation from my everyday life. A significant deviation. I like the fact that we are asked to dress a certain way for dinner. Somehow it just seems right. I am perfectly content on Regent with their dress code and I will have no difficulty adhering to Silversea's. To me it is all part of the, for lack of a better word, fantasy. I understand that for some, these luxury cruises are an extension of their everyday life. For us, it is not the case.

My concern would be once jeans and shorts are acceptable attire for dinner, what's next? Pajama bottoms? Bib overalls? And yes, I have seen people wearing both to dinner while on a cruise (not Regent).

I have three kids (young adults). I tell them there are certain circumstances in life where it is expected that you dress a certain way. You must make the choice. Either comply, or don't go.

To me, the request that one does not wear shorts or jeans to dinner is just not that unreasonable.

I did not bring them, because I assumed they are still classified as "jeans". Would they be acceptable with a dressy top--looking more like white pants???

Under the current dress code, jeans are not permitted, no matter what color or how expensive they are. The same goes for shorts -- if they are silk or "gold lame" -- does not matter.

To answer another question, if one lounge (Stars, Voyager or Navigator) were made casual, I would have no problem with that. The Observation Lounge, Gaileo Lounge on the Navigator and Horizon Lounge should, IMO, be left alone. Going along on this train of thought, I do not think guests should greet the Captain and his staff in the theater in shorts or jeans. Wondering if the "new", unannounced dress code requires collared shirts or if a t-shirt, tube top, haltar top will be fine?

In terms of Sette Mari/La Veranda, you can wear shorts, jeans, almost anything all day until 6:00 p.m. Regent is a luxury cruise line. . . . is it really that difficult to put on slacks (even Dockers are fine) and a shirt with a collar or blouse for dinner?

Another question asked earlier on was about how people will be dressing in the future. If history repeats itself, we'll see the young people of today who dress ultra casual probably get tired of it and we'll see very innovative suits and tuxedos. Just a guess.

I did not bring them, because I assumed they are still classified as "jeans". Would they be acceptable with a dressy top--looking more like white pants???

You defined them yourself as "jeans" and according to the curennt policy they are not appropriate after 6pm. While your white jeans may be gorgeous, my white jeans (which I think are so cute) don't look near as nice as I seem to think they do :0 IMHO....

So to answer your question NO

I'll put my next 2 cents worth in again! I work in the Horse Show Industry-- VERY specific dress code. For example-- Don't wear your whites in the Sunday Grand Prix-- no prize money and elimination! BUT you know that going into the classes-- you have a rule book.

And so the same with Regent. You know what it states going in-- If you can't forgo your jeans for 10 days or so-- find another cruise line and look like a slob-- it's up to you.

And yes-- I live in South Florida, I live in shorts and $400 sandals, and I'm 57--right in the the midst of all of these age groups.

We would be quite offended if anyone showed up for an evening at our home wearing jeans-- and I'm just as sure that no one ever has.

I suppose next that we could just let the staff relax their dress code--my, what threads that would start!

...My jeans were not the type that I think Wendy is referring to, they were well worn Levis.

My concern would be if jeans are allowed, would people show up in Levi's? I don't think it would bother me if everyone showed up in tailored, dress jeans but I don't think that would be the case. How can they tell one passenger that his jeans are allowed and ask another to change?

I agree. You can't have the staff suddenly be the arbiters of taste. A lot of jeans (including a certain SO of mine), shouldn't be allowed anywhere, but where do you draw the lne?! That's why I would never try out my fancy jeans (and of course, they don't fit me right now anyways!)

Oh, and I want to add a third category--cargo pants. They can be anything from full-length pants, to crops, to shorts. They are all reprehensible when not at the beach or at a cabin in the woods.

pingpong1, I'm dismayed by the second and third paragraphs of your first post #23. Why do you have a problem with people expecting certain levels of sophistication, particularly when notified in advance. If I were analyzing your post it seems that you have a problem with the "wealthy" even though you don't define them.

Your second post is more reasonable, however.

Back to the issue, if a cruise line wishes to establish standards why shouldn't they be allowed to? As an example, we're talking about jeans on this thread, should we change the discussion to muscle shirts for dinner or even at all?:eek:

... Hopefully, I'm sticking to the thread's topic and not breaking another "rule"....

If Mr. Conroy's "opinion" (about casual clothing in SM at night) is not good enough to be considered "policy" by "the club", than what would be?...

My short answer is that *nothing* is able to satisfy those who deliberately refuse to be satisfied, those who live to find fault in the world, rather than finding (and addressing) fault within themselves.

.... The question is worded as to require a simplistic "yes/no" answer.

Which is why I don't participate in surveys or interviews. The people conducting such have worded their questions in black/white terms, allowing no nuance; these questions are often (usually) emotionally charged, in order to lead the respondent toward a desired response. I shall never again give any portion of myself to a survey.

Should jeans and/or shorts be allowed in P7 or CR in the evening? Probably not at this time (but I'm willing to bet that it will be different 10 years from now - when many of us are pushing up daisies or at least not cruising anymore!) Should jeans and/or shorts be allowed in SM/LV in the evening? Maybe - and probably "yes" - if that's the way management (Mr. Conroy) sees it as being in the best interest of a good portion (not necessarily the majority) of his customers or within the framework of the industry that he's operating in.

If you are sitting in CR in your slacks and dress shirt, and I'm sitting in SM in a pair of shorts and a polo shirt - I should not be adversely affecting "your enjoyment" of your dinner in any way! Unless, of course, you're the type of person who worries and frets too much about what everyone else is "doing", and spends hours of your life fretting over "slipping standards"! Likewise, if you're sitting in the theater in slacks and a dressy top enjoying a production number, and I'm sitting up on the pool deck in shorts and a polo shirt enjoying a cigar (if that's allowed) and a scotch - It should be none of your business what I'm wearing! I think a little more flexibility is in order and what might apply to P7 or CR in the evening should not necessarily have to apply to the rest of the ship. I think that those of us on CC represent a very small percentage of the overall cruising public. Mr. Conroy must consider his total customer base - not just "us". And I don't think that being in the "1%" should entitle you to "two votes" while everyone else (the 99%) gets just "one vote".

Given the limiting constraints of the OP question - put me down as a "conditional YES". ((For the record, I can enjoy a good steak or crab legs whether I'm dressed in a pair of shorts or slacks. I feel sorry for anyone who can't. I can also enjoy a meal at a restaurant even if they don't take reservations)). Regards.

Too much good, insightful stuff to adequately address in one short reply. BUT, I can tell you I'd love to buy you dinner at your favorite restaurant whenever I happen to visit your town. I'll pay for your wife too, and any children you may have who happen to be in town. I'm likely the least financially endowed of all the posters on this board, but I think I'd be happy to throw a grand toward that evening!...

Forgive me for double posting on two threads, but I'm afraid I posted on the wrong topic thread.

These days I find myself mostly rolling my eyes and extremely disinterested in most topics here. . .but, I must SHOUT LOUDLY that I adore you, TheSeaAroundUs!

I love intellectual snobs in general, but when i find an intellectual that's sweet rather than snobby, well, include me at the top of your fan club. . .in fact, I may run for president of your club. Please forgive me for not being close to your equal in eloquent writing. Seriously. You are the best.

I do believe that Mark Conroy subscribes to one of my favorite rules (this from a non-rules follower), and that is to avoid wasting valuable time on exceptions. Why spend so much time on exceptions? I need to say that again. Why spend so much time on exceptions?

After all, the discussion (here and on another thread) about the fabric of clothing (denim) that covers probably less than 5% of people is indeed an exception. I believe there must be a rule that states that if 5% or less don't follow a rule, it must indeed be an exception.

Furthermore, given the age data of most Regent cruisers, I think we can breathe a sigh of relief that there is no danger of a slippery slope, at least when it comes to fabric and pants.

That said, I have seen my share of many non-denim fashion offenses on many luxury cruises. Ugh. Yet, I have still been able to choke down my steak. I wouldn't mind a fashion sheriff being appointed on each cruise. Send the offenders to their stateroom and lock the door!! ;)

In fact, if Regent wants to stay relevant I would say they need to overlook the fabric of the trousers and keep focused on continuing to play to those who can afford to pay the fare, regardless of the fabric of their trousers.

BTW, are denim collared Tommy Bahama shirts allowed?

mimito4: First and foremost, I hope things are well with you and your family!

I feel that this thread is unique since the President of Regent believes that shorts and jeans are okay in Sette Mari, yet the dress code remains the same. I really wanted to hear the opinions of those who have sailed on Regent. As usual, I also got opinions from those who have not sailed Regent. While this is okay, I question an opinion when they have not been on the ship (you heard that from me before:eek::cool:;))

The fact that you feel it is okay to wear jeans and shorts on Regent is fine. You certainly are entitled to your opinion. Do you feel that Seabourn, Crystal and/or Crystal passengers would feel the same?

Oh for goodness sakes, I'm sure Crystal passengers would not think it would be OK! I have read many such topics on that board as well, and they all respond as on this board. Sea Dream? Well, that's another situation all together. Even then, although it's casual, I have seen more "fashion offenses" on Regent and Crystal than on Sea Dream. I am probably a fashion snob, so it's just my opinion.

My point is that this denim thing is an exception. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed. After all, this very discussion board is exactly that: discussion. It is entertainment.

I would just caution everyone to recognize that in view of Regent's current fare and current birth date of passengers, there is no danger of droves of people suddenly boarding Regent ships wearing Levis and ball caps, thereby inhibiting one's dining enjoyment. In other words, relax.

5% or less means a handful of people. You probably wouldn't even come across them, and even if you did, it's likely they would be in designer jeans and a spiffy top.

Thanks for your kind comments/questions, TC2. All is well for now. We consider ourselves lucky.

My son and I board voyager on July 29. And in honor of this thread, I have decided to pack a different cocktail dress for each evening!

Seriously though, you will not see jeans, shorts or the dreaded cargo pants on me or my son after 6 pm. He is even more picky than me about clothes, and he is only 26.

You defined them yourself as "jeans" and according to the curennt policy they are not appropriate after 6pm. While your white jeans may be gorgeous, my white jeans (which I think are so cute) don't look near as nice as I seem to think they do :0 IMHO....

So to answer your question NO

Well, it's a good thing I assumed the answer and didn't bring them. I did see a guy wearing grey jeans, and he didn't look appropriate. I have no problem with Regent's policy!!

Many folks want options today - while on the same ship. The younger folks (40's-50's) "slide" quite easily between "styles". Probably easier than their parents do. I wouldn't even be the least surprised if Mr. Conroy himself has a few pair of jeans in his closet and has probably eaten dinner in them a few times! :p

Yep, that would be me. And I guess I count as a "younger folk" since I'm only 42 and my husband is turning 40 on monday.

Archived