Jeans in Sette Mari & Lounges - What do you think?

Neither my DH nor I wear jeans. But if Regent or any cruise line, wants to attract passengers in the future to replace those of us going headlong toward a certain age, they are going to have to be more flexible in the dress codes. IMO To attract the younger professionals like my sons and son in law and their wives who like cruising and can now or wil be able to cruise on Regent when they are empty nesters, Regent needs to offer casual venues in the evening where jeans are acceptable. Personally I have no problem with this, even for the "luxury lines" we enjoy. I know we will be able to dress for dinner as we always have.

I couldn't agree more. If you look at the dress of the business environment now compared to 20 years ago it is drastically more casual. As the younger generations accumulate more wealth and begin to spend it on leisure and travel they are probably going to want to do it with companies/resorts/cruise lines that cater to them.

So, while Regent may have this dress code in place for now, I wouldn't put money on it never changing. At some point their current clientele is going to get too old to travel and they are going to have to attract a new client base.

Just because things have "always been that way" (refering to no jeans) doesn't mean that they are right or even immune to being changed. History should have taught everyone that lesson by now.

Once again the problem on most lines with dress codes is the different information that they put forth!

As I posted earlier, on Regent's own current web site (US version) under "FAQ" and "Is there a dress code?" this is found:

"Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime onboard or ashore, and consists of resort-style outfits. Casual wear, including shorts and jeans, is not appropriate after 6:00 pm, with the exception of the final evening of the cruise. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind on the last night of every voyage we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual."

"The recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual resort wear. Formal and semi-formal attire is optional on sailings of 16 nights or more. Dinner dress includes skirt, or slacks with blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes are not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required."

I underlined the only clear statements about jeans.... you can't wear them to dinner except the last night when the dress code is casual. Again Regent is at the very least, vague about the lounges after 6....saying it is not appropriate, but never out right saying not allowed.

IMO, All ships need a casual dinning venue. From Mark C comments posted earlier on this thread, sounds like he is realizing this too. In 2011, he told us on our cruise of changes being looked at in the pre booking of dinning and shore excurssions...Lo and Behold, those changes came to pass, inspite of much mashing of teeth here on CC, the ships appear to be filling! Sounds like jeans after 6PM at least in some areas of the ship is a future possibility. This is OK with me, after all this is 2012 not 1950.

Oh, and by the way, once on the ship sometimes stated policies are changed "or relaxed"...I have seen this happen on many cruises over the years.

That quote from the website should be amended to add that if you lose your luggage you are temporarily exempt! :D

That is good to know...only happened once to us once....pre internet days...so I never gave it a though...didn't know much...just wore what we had over and over:D. We were always made to feel welcome by the staff!

That quote from the website should be amended to add that if you lose your luggage you are temporarily exempt! :D

Good point. It should also be noted that passengers returning from a Regent excursion can wear anything they have on in order to get to dinner before the restaurant closes. And, wish people would stop posting the dress code on the Regent website over and over. We all know what it says by now. However, if anyone sees a policy on the Regent website stating that you can wear jeans and shorts in Sette Mari or in lounges after 6:00 p.m., kindly post it in large red letters. After all, this is why I began this thread in the first place.;)

rallydave: Yes -- there are people with strong opinions on CC and you are certainly one of them. But, why do you have to put down other people in order to make a point?:rolleyes: Please reread Mark Conroy's response to Wes. He certainly did not sound like he knew what the dress code was in Sette Mari and his statement was not a policy statement -- sounded like an opinion to me.

quote]

Have read Marks response to Wes several times and when the President of a company makes a public comment, it isn't that he doesn't know what the dress code is. Presidents are very careful with public comments to not put something in writing that isn't true or that they are not sure of. It may not be a policy statement like one that would be published by the company but, it surely is a statement that is not simply his opinion.

Many others have also posted and accepted Mark's comment as a fact and not an opinion. You are simply reading into the statement to make it fit your opinion as you have a difficult time admitting that you made an error or that your opinion is incorrect.

Also I am not the only person on this board who has issues with your comments on issues and items of which you have no knowledge yet seemingly have to post your opinion.

Why in the world would customers have to inform a company as to what their policies are?It would seem that it is about time that the boss at Regent weighs in with an official clarification on policy with dates and exceptions,,,,blah blah blah. It would then probably be the smart thing when traveling to bring along the printout, thereby eliminating any "confusion" regardless of what the policy turns out to be.

You ask why should customers inform a company what their policies are. I suspect the company is well aware of it's dress code, but an individual has put out the wrong information and to avoid this wrong information being sent out again it should be corrected.

You ask why should customers inform a company what their policies are. I suspect the company is well aware of it's dress code, but an individual has put out the wrong information and to avoid this wrong information being sent out again it should be corrected.

Tom, in most cases, would agree with your thoughts completely but, with Regent, if we were to inform Regent of them putting out incorrect information, it would be a full time job for many people. It has been said that Regent monitors this board and if so, would be simple for them to see all the comments and act appropriately. However, as many errors have been previously pointed out and Regent continues to ignore those facts.

You can go ahead and inform them but, who is the them?? Would expect Regent to continue to ignore the errors based on past history

Certainly hope I am wrong.

The President of Regent opened his big mounth and said jeans are OK I can assure you on my first cruise on Regent will be spent in Jeans just to p*ss off certain people on here. Next will be my slippers and bathrobe in public areas...Oh and almost forgot add to that cargo pants and cargo shorts as well!.:eek::p:eek:

rallydave: Yes -- there are people with strong opinions on CC and you are certainly one of them. But, why do you have to put down other people in order to make a point?:rolleyes: Please reread Mark Conroy's response to Wes. He certainly did not sound like he knew what the dress code was in Sette Mari and his statement was not a policy statement -- sounded like an opinion to me.

quote]

Have read Marks response to Wes several times and when the President of a company makes a public comment, it isn't that he doesn't know what the dress code is. Presidents are very careful with public comments to not put something in writing that isn't true or that they are not sure of. It may not be a policy statement like one that would be published by the company but, it surely is a statement that is not simply his opinion.

Many others have also posted and accepted Mark's comment as a fact and not an opinion. You are simply reading into the statement to make it fit your opinion as you have a difficult time admitting that you made an error or that your opinion is incorrect.

1. No one knows my opinion of the jeans in Sette Mari as I have made general statements but have not said what I personally would like to see. What I expect to see now is the current dress code being adhered to unless it is changed and communicated to passengers.

2. If some people want to accept the comment "We don't promote it that way but I think jeans are okay there it was always the one very casual venue", fine. The way I read it, jeans have always been okay in La Veranda for dinner. If that is the case, the dress code should clarify that for passengers.

Also I am not the only person on this board who has issues with your comments on issues and items of which you have no knowledge yet seemingly have to post your opinion.

As I have repeatedly stated, I truly don't care one iota that some people have issues with my comments. If regulars on this board want to act immaturely, that is up to them and I choose not to partake in that nonsense. So, continue to judge me, ignore me or make incorrect statements . . . . it has become laughable. Unfortunately,these type of posts are disruptive and do not help people who come to the Regent board to hear everyone's opinions so they can decide for themselves if they feel that Regent is the right fit for them.

As I have repeatedly stated, I truly don't care one iota that some people have issues with my comments. If regulars on this board want to act immaturely, that is up to them and I choose not to partake in that nonsense. So, continue to judge me, ignore me or make incorrect statements . . . . it has become laughable. Unfortunately,these type of posts are disruptive and do not help people who come to the Regent board to hear everyone's opinions so they can decide for themselves if they feel that Regent is the right fit for them.

I have no issues with your comments.:D;):D

Jackie, The 66+ is known as the Silent Generation, although some include them in the Greatest Generation.

Thanks, I couldn't remember the name given to those of us older than 66+, but knew I wasn't part of the Greatest Genenration.

My children, at least the oldest, is part of the Baby Boomers, though one of the yougest of that group. FWIW, out side of the office his dress of choice is jeans and a nice shirt though he was raised with different standards.

As far as the Baby Boomer dress is concerned, the 50ish age group was the group that seemed to be really pressing more casual dinning dress on our cruise. The Buenos Aires to FtL run (actually two segments) last year on the Mariner was very casual. The average passenger age dropped big time. The over all dress got much more casual with the fancy, colored, jeweled jeans on the ladies seen in the lounges and dinning room more than once.

Oh and please forgive my spelling...really which there was a spell check option.

With more than one thread discussing the dress code on Regent, it seems that having one thread discussing this issue would enable Regent to read posts regarding this subject in one area.

What do you think? Are jeans and shorts appropriate on Regent when dining in CR, P-7, Signatures and Sette Mari in the evening?

Guess I have only answered the OP question in a round about way.

Since Regent reads dress code posts on CC and acts accordingly......My DH and I vote "Yes" to jeans after 6 in all venues.

At a minimum jeans should be OK in the lounges and one dinning venue.

A change like this will not affect our enjoyment of a Regent cruise one bit unless the powers that be make us wear jeans!:D

newlondon: Thanks for the information -- never heard of the "silent generation". Guess they are properly named.

If I had to vote, it would be for jeans in Sette Mari and the Voyager Lounge or Stars Lounge (on Navigator and Mariner). If the Pool Grill or another outdoor restaurant were available in the evening, I would vote no for Sette Mari and yes for the outdoor restaurant. I would like to see most restaurants and lounges keep the Elegant casual dress code.

Everytime I sail with Regent, I put on my survey comments to please allow ONE casual venue. Not even the Four Season Hotels banish their customers to their rooms for room service or makes them dress a certain way in the halls. We were lucky enough to be on a 30 day cruise and I must admit after very long excursions it would have been such a treat to go somewhere on the ship for a glass of wine, a burger and just relax, even if we could have just have room service deliver poolside (and we are baby boomers). Even though the food is delicious, 30 straight days of going to the dining room is alot - and we are not ones who like to sit in a room watching TV or a movie with room service for dinner. Sorry, I just cannot wrap my head around why anyone would get upset or feel their luxury cruise experience is being compromised by seeing someone in the hall or elevators in jeans after 6pm.

Everytime I sail with Regent, I put on my survey comments to please allow ONE casual venue. Not even the Four Season Hotels banish their customers to their rooms for room service or makes them dress a certain way in the halls. We were lucky enough to be on a 30 day cruise and I must admit after very long excursions it would have been such a treat to go somewhere on the ship for a glass of wine, a burger and just relax, even if we could have just have room service deliver poolside (and we are baby boomers). Even though the food is delicious, 30 straight days of going to the dining room is alot - and we are not ones who like to sit in a room watching TV or a movie with room service for dinner. Sorry, I just cannot wrap my head around why anyone would get upset or feel their luxury cruise experience is being compromised by seeing someone in the hall or elevators in jeans after 6pm.

what about a bathrobe or cargo shorts/pants?:eek::eek:

Seabourntraveller -

I would think common sense would prevail regarding bathrobes in restaurants. But I would love to see the shipwide daytime dress code applied to one venue, therefore, cargo shorts/pants would not bother me in the least after 6pm. After all we see them during the day and we all survive it..:)

You still will not be able to have a burger and wine for dinner unless you are in your suite. If that is what people would enjoy, instead of trying to get Regent's Italian restaurant to allow ultra casual clothing, perhaps people should try to have the Pool Grill open in the evening? If the weather is poor, maybe hamburgers, fries and a few other items could be set up in the one ultra casual lounge?

Again, the majority of Regent passengers approve of the current dress code. IF Regent is looking at allowing jeans, and other casual clothing, may as well figure out exactly what people want ...... and it may not be Italian food.

Just looking for ways for the casual diners to have what makes them happy without changing the basic atmosphere for the rest of the passengers. I might vote for a place with jeans and the short pants that only seem to make women look fat and squat (JMHO), but I would not dine there.:confused:

what about a bathrobe or cargo shorts/pants?:eek::eek:

You still will not be able to have a burger and wine for dinner unless you are in your suite. If that is what people would enjoy, instead of trying to get Regent's Italian restaurant to allow ultra casual clothing, perhaps people should try to have the Pool Grill open in the evening? If the weather is poor, maybe hamburgers, fries and a few other items could be set up in the one ultra casual lounge?

Again, the majority of Regent passengers approve of the current dress code. IF Regent is looking at allowing jeans, and other casual clothing, may as well figure out exactly what people want ...... and it may not be Italian food.

Just looking for ways for the casual diners to have what makes them happy without changing the basic atmosphere for the rest of the passengers. I might vote for a place with jeans and the short pants that only seem to make women look fat and squat (JMHO), but I would not dine there.:confused:

Where do you eat during the day? I'm just one of those who can't wrap my head around why the daytime dress code is such an issue for ONE venue, halls and elevators after 6pm. I guess I am hopeless.

Where do you eat during the day? I'm just one of those who can't wrap my head around why the daytime dress code is such an issue for ONE venue, halls and elevators after 6pm. I guess I am hopeless.

I'm with you on that one. My only issue is sloppiness, which you do see sometimes during the day, but I've said enough on this issue and don't want to get into trouble.

I'm looking forward to having a casual venue on Oceania.

Hey- some of you (naturally not me) must remember that phrase from the '50's- "no levis or capris". Let's follow the rules folks! Any rules- make 'em up.

I can't wait to rock my cargo shorts on my upcoming cruise during the allowed times! I fall into the real young set...UNDER 40!!

I am shocked there is no thread regarding capri pants: Are they pants or are they shorts?

I also read a post stating "long skirts"...well I'll be shocking and wear a skirt that goes slightly above the knee!

Okay -- now I'm totally lost:o I responded based on dress code after 6:00 p.m. because passengers can already wear anything they want -- anywhere on the ship -- before then. So, when you talked about returning from an excursion and sitting poolside with a burger, etc., I assumed you meant after 6:00 p.m. My suggestion of one dining venue and a lounge for those who prefer an ultra casual dress code was onlyl for after 6:00 p.m. Guess we had a slight miscommunication:-)

Well if you are hopeless so am I because it doesn't bother me either. Just got back from a deightful cruise on Carnival with my granddaughters. The food was realy good and the passengers were dressed nicely in the MDR, no shorts even on the children...we had open seating so ate when we wanted.

I do have a hard time with the notion that the majority of Regent passengers would really care if Regent relaxed the evening dress code a bit. How does anyone know this for sure?

Those of us that post on CC are such a small portion of the total number of people that cruise and most of us who do post have fairly strong oppinions:) one way or the other....be it the Regent, Seabourn, Crystal or a "less than luxury" line's board.

So far, there have been people wanting no change and people willing to see change even here on this thread. In reality the only opinion that counts is that of management and that is driven by the bottom line.

Sounds like management has at least thought about a more relaxed dinning venue..for sure, there are casual evening venues on the mass market ships. The people who spend the money for suites on the mass market ships are the ones Regent is openly maketing to..Mark flat out said this in a public meeting on our cruise.

These mass market cruise line people started in the regular cabins and as they move up the income ladder moved onto the high dollar suites....now they are venturing to the "luxury lines" and are the future in a very competive market. Tese passengers are use to a casual dinning/ounging venue and will be looking for that option on Regent. Only time will tell, but I feel like some others on this thread that change is coming.

Isn't it a bit of an old fashion class system to have only one lounge and one dinning room for those who wish to be casual that evening. I can see the speciality dinning options having a more dressy code than say the Veranda or a Grill or even the MDR for that matter, but to segregate the lounges...really???

The nice thing about Regent and Seabourn is that I have had things like a simple hamburger in the MDR in the evening without 24 hour notice when I wasn't rwally hungry...just couldn't wear my jeans...LOL!

Archived